Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone have any general tips for Dungeon Raid? I keep getting my rear end handed to me at around 250 turns on Normal. I don't normally play these kinds of games, but I love this, but I also suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

Zubumafoo posted:

Anyone have any general tips for Dungeon Raid? I keep getting my rear end handed to me at around 250 turns on Normal. I don't normally play these kinds of games, but I love this, but I also suck.

Get your luck up early. The multiplyer on health potions is a life saver.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

People were asking about that Dangerous game, the combat part plays a lot like EVE in that you tell modules to activate to restore shields in expense of energy and tell weapons to fire on the enemy and they diceroll and list the damage etc etc. The projectiles aren't actually projectiles you can physically dodge, very MMOy like that. I suppose on the plus side since there isn't any dogfighting the NPC allies might be competent unlike most space-sim wingmen.

You have to play as the bearded dude Dangerous. I think I'm gonna pass

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I played just the intro of Dangerous and was very disappointed. As a game that was supposed to be better than Galaxy on Fire, it really wasn't. The controls were awkward and not very realistic, the combat sucks, all the speech is text based, and the dialogue is bad.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Bo Steed posted:

Wait, that's the reason? Does this happen often for you, or something?

Firehose penis, baby :dukedog:

Alright, so I wound up buying another Kairosoft game (Pocket Academy), because this mortal vessel is weak; what are some clever tips for placing rooms so my high school doesn't look like dogshit, and how do I not run myself right into the red within 1-2 years?

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Canuck-Errant posted:

Firehose penis, baby :dukedog:

Alright, so I wound up buying another Kairosoft game (Pocket Academy), because this mortal vessel is weak; what are some clever tips for placing rooms so my high school doesn't look like dogshit, and how do I not run myself right into the red within 1-2 years?

The most important thing is to not hire more teachers than you need. A good rule of thumb is two teachers for every three classrooms. Teachers are going to be your single biggest expense by far, especially early on. So don't fill up the first classroom because you can. Wait until you need them.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
Really? I always did the opposite, never having more than 1 teacher for every two classrooms. Money is way too hard to come by in the early game, and once the class has started they don't really do a whole lot beyond the occasional couple of points in research, which there always seemed to be too much of in the early goings. I focused on pop spots (collections of three rooms that give a boost when put near each other) to attract transfer students. That way I could get a positive income going before worrying about my teachers putting me into debt.

As far as making it look nice, my schools always end up looking like a mess of hallways. I'd say try to keep your classrooms fairly central with attractions for the students around them, but it's more important to make popular spots than really worry about how it looks.

Bo Steed fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 19, 2012

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you can try and do Challenges every month, you can only do 2 per month but they increase the tuition each student generates by $30/month (I think might be variable) and you can wind up getting at least 2 more subjects semi-randomly later on. Having all of those 5 starred will give you a pretty sizable chunk of extra income and it also is supposed to help your students get better grades.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah, totally forgot about that. Challenges are crucial to starting up a positive cash flow. Fields simply can't pay for your school early on.

It won't matter immediately, but there are 5 extra challenges. Agriculture is having two fields and a 200 gpa. For PE you need the Tennis Court, Basketball Court, and Track. Music requires 2 Art Rooms. Computers requires 2 Computer rooms. Philosophy is the hardest and requires 5 libraries, "Prestigious" school rank, and being in the top five schools (at which point money isn't a concern anymore anyway).

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

mrkillboy posted:

I just upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus myself and it looks like all the Popcap games (PvZ, Peggle, Bejeweled 2 and that other one) don't come up as compatible on the Play Store. Pretty dissapointing :(

Try getting it from the Amazon app store, I got it when it was free and it downloads and runs on my gnex.

I can guarantee pvz will work, not sure about the other games since I don't play them.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Logikv9 posted:

Try getting it from the Amazon app store, I got it when it was free and it downloads and runs on my gnex.

I can guarantee pvz will work, not sure about the other games since I don't play them.
I live in Australia, so no Amazon for me. Also I know Peggle does not support ICS yet.

Anyway, a bunch of indie developers are going to have a sale between May 24 and June 1. These include a selection of Android games, current list here: http://www.becausewemay.com/play.html

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
It's always been so weird to me that Popcap has so few Android games, I came to the platform from a string of Palms (I know, I know) and at least 50% of the games I had were by Popcap. They used to be the kings of mobile gaming, but now when it's at its peak they decide not to publish more than a handful of poorly-supported games? I've found passable yet inferior clones of a lot of their games but I really want Rocket Mania, dammit.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

mrkillboy posted:

I live in Australia, so no Amazon for me. Also I know Peggle does not support ICS yet.

Anyway, a bunch of indie developers are going to have a sale between May 24 and June 1. These include a selection of Android games, current list here: http://www.becausewemay.com/play.html

Here's hoping I don't miss Beans Quest. Also, rebuild is currently on sale on the Amazon app store for $1.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Picked up Beyond Ynth HD for a buck today. It's a pretty fun little puzzle platformer. You're a bug that has to rotate boxes from the inside to get across a level. It's kind of hard to explain in text, so here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiotJ_tDIcQ

The video only mentions iOS, but the Android port is the same thing.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Picked up Beyond Ynth HD for a buck today. It's a pretty fun little puzzle platformer. You're a bug that has to rotate boxes from the inside to get across a level. It's kind of hard to explain in text, so here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiotJ_tDIcQ

The video only mentions iOS, but the Android port is the same thing.

That's pretty adorable.

I think one of the things I like most about the rise of mobile games is the fact that not everything has to be a brown shooter or animeANIMEANIME.

qvc on the tivo
Mar 23, 2005

Eat your vegetables or I swear I'll start another atheist thread
I've been having a lot of fun with Trainyard recently, which just came out on Android the other day.

It's a puzzle game where you need to get the train cars into their correct stations, however this involves some really cool colour mixing mechanics. It's not like other "get the trains to the station" where you're constantly switching tracks in a mad frenzy, but you set up all the tracks and hit go, so it's more like making the perfect train colour mixing machine. This video can probably explain it better than me anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtIb7NEYgM

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

qvc on the tivo posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with Trainyard recently, which just came out on Android the other day.

It's a puzzle game where you need to get the train cars into their correct stations, however this involves some really cool colour mixing mechanics. It's not like other "get the trains to the station" where you're constantly switching tracks in a mad frenzy, but you set up all the tracks and hit go, so it's more like making the perfect train colour mixing machine. This video can probably explain it better than me anyway:

I was planning on not buying anymore android games for a long time, but this looks fantastic.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

qvc on the tivo posted:

Makes me think a bit of a simpler SpaceChem. I guess I'll have to check it out.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

qvc on the tivo posted:

This game looks interesting, but I know all it would do is enrage me. :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Alehkhs posted:

loving SpaceChem. I want to play that on an Android tablet more than any other game ever made. "It'll be a year or two before I can get a tablet, he'll have it ready to go by then!" I said, and here it is two years later. I got my tablet, where's his end of the deal?

Why won't he port it? :(

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

hojusimpson posted:

I loathed Pocket League Story's matches but enjoyed the rest of the game. Any chance I had to avoid an actual match, I took it. After a while, I realized I should just drop it and play a different title. If nothing else, I liked the charm and the decision-making aspects, which gave me confidence in the other Kairosoft games.

The matches started to get a bit tiring for me too, but once you're past the 7 game-year mark you can put the game in fast-mode, so all the actual matches only take a minute to play.

I just 'finished' (There's more sponsors to unlock and I haven't maxed out all my player's stats, but I beat the World League, and individual matches are actually COSTING me money as opposed to earning me more at this point) Pocket League Story, and going from the opinions in this and the old thread I'll probably give Game Dev or Grand Prix Story a go next. I like the pick-up-and-play nature of the games, I probably had League on the go for 3 or 4 months all up.

Oh, two of the best players on my team were an actual monkey and an actual bear. That was pretty cool.

qvc on the tivo
Mar 23, 2005

Eat your vegetables or I swear I'll start another atheist thread

Alehkhs posted:

It is a lot like SpaceChem. At least the earlier stages of SpaceChem, before things get off the wall complicated. This gets pretty complicated, but in a much more managable way.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Trainyard is great! Fantastic buy for a dollar.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does anyone have any suggestions for arcade like online multiplayer games? Or strategy games? I already have Uniwar, but I'm looking for something else.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

qvc on the tivo posted:

I had this back when I had an iPod, it's a fantastic game and gets really hard later on. Would definitely recommend it.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

victorious posted:

The matches started to get a bit tiring for me too, but once you're past the 7 game-year mark you can put the game in fast-mode, so all the actual matches only take a minute to play.

I've since noticed some of the Kairosoft games mention a 'fast mode' after completion. I must have either glossed over that part in PLS or I was ignorant due to my inexperience with their software.

The real meat of your post is this:

victorious posted:

Oh, two of the best players on my team were an actual monkey and an actual bear. That was pretty cool.

A chicken is the most frequent patron of my mall's lingerie shop. Knowing that I can march animals onto the pitch has shown me the error of my ways. I'm jumping at the first chance I have to create an all-ape team.

Thanks for the information!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
oh my god I can't beat level 4 in Radiant Defense. Is it possible without buying upgrade packs?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

hojusimpson posted:

Knowing that I can march animals onto the pitch has shown me the error of my ways. I'm jumping at the first chance I have to create an all-ape team.

Thanks for the information!

I don't know if you can do an all-animal team unfortunately. Those two were the only ones available to me and they didn't show up in the hiring list until pretty late in the game.

I just started Game Dev story yesterday and it seems fairly similar. Kind of slow to start off and I don't have a lot of money, but I guess as my developers level up and my games get better things will pick up steam.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

oh my god I can't beat level 4 in Radiant Defense. Is it possible without buying upgrade packs?

This right here is the foundation of my dislike of (almost all) in-app purchasing.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Another Hexage game, Robotek, gets really tedious and grindy not too far in. Even if you do buy some of the upgrades.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Splizwarf posted:

This right here is the foundation of my dislike of (almost all) in-app purchasing.

I totally massacre every wave until 11 then I get steamrolled.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What kills me is the fact that you can legitimately ask yourself "Am I being forced to buy stuff to get past this point?"

Maybe yes, maybe no, but if you'd just bought the game outright you'd know for a drat fact that the problem is not created by the company to get more quarters out of you, the problem is you and you alone, and if you try harder/smarter/better you'll make it through.

In-app purchasing like that is disempowering and oppressive. Imagine if Super Meat Boy or N had a zoom-in slo-mo that you could buy in 5-second doses. Both games are balls-out hard as gently caress, and (no matter what the devs might say) how often would you think "I wonder if it's even possible to do this? Maybe I have to buy some slo-mo for it."

Different outfits, more levels, extra gameplay modes? gently caress yeah, that's an appropriate use of IAP.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

qvc on the tivo posted:

It is a lot like SpaceChem. At least the earlier stages of SpaceChem, before things get off the wall complicated. This gets pretty complicated, but in a much more managable way.

Okay, yes, Trains is like SpaceChem lite, but I could barely get through the first chapter of that game. Just watching the Trains trailer is breaking my brain. Why am so much people smarter than me lots? :saddowns:

hojusimpson posted:

I've since noticed some of the Kairosoft games mention a 'fast mode' after completion. I must have either glossed over that part in PLS or I was ignorant due to my inexperience with their software.

Wait, there is? ARRRRRRRGH!!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

illicitporpoises posted:

Another Hexage game, Robotek, gets really tedious and grindy not too far in. Even if you do buy some of the upgrades.

You know I really liked Robotek. Enough so that I bought the $1 IAP.

I'm not too far in the game and it's gotten so tedious it's not fun anymore. Since the game is based on luck - the upgrades can only help so much. If I mess up all my slot pulls - I'm still screwed. I wanted to like you Robotek =/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Minecraft on android is lots of fun, I just wish they'd increase the map size (or make it infinite like the PC version) :(

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
For anyone who hasn't become jaded by Mass Effect yet, a game called Mass Effect Infiltrator got released for Android today. Like all EA Android games there's versions for North America and everywhere else.

It's a third person shooter not unlike Shadowgun with an interesting control mechanic where you tap on enemies to aim at them, though you can still play with traditional aiming. Playing the game also nets you war assets to help your readiness rating in ME3, though it probably doesn't matter since you've all probably finished the game already.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

I think I'll pass on it thanks to EA being super sketchy on Android.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I want to play The Game of Life from EA, but they won't update it to work in ICS. So I guess they'll never get my money if they can't support their products. Oh wait, isn't EA like that with all their games except for BattleField.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of super sketchy Gameloft has released a Men In Black 3 game.

I downloaded and played it for a bit; it's pretty unremarkable. The game gives you tasks, which pretty much boil down to "press this button". Almost all the tasks involve a decent amount of wait time, unless you of course make IAP to get some in-game currency. On top of that, you only get a limited amount of "energy" within a certain point of time, so you need to pay for more if you want to pay for an extended period of time. Oh and getting your health back after battle also takes time unless you buy health pills, which ALSO takes forever to make unless (you guessed it) you speed it up with currency.

Oh and the Agent J avatar looks nothing like Will Smith.

So yeah, not worth your time. Unless you like feeder bar games that require you to invest real money-and from the looks of it, the game will require a significant amount of coin droppage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

lelandjs posted:

Oh and the Agent J avatar looks nothing like Will Smith.

Probably because some actors require that you pay to use their likeness.

• Locked thread