Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Isn't the DLR pretty much automated? How much additional safety do those guys pressing the button actually provide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

What do you do when the master computer crashes and the train you're on is stranded on a concrete elevation 30m above the ground? Or when it's icy and the ATO system can't compensate for icy rail conditions and your train slides past a station? Or when engineers leave a spanner on the track and the computer driving the train doesn't know it's hit an obstacle?

The train captains (or whatever Serco calls them) are the problem solving element on the train that can fix poo poo on the fly, herd passengers around in emergencies and do all the other things the ancient software running the DLR can't do.

I hadn't thought of it in that way, those are good points. It's more a matter of having sufficient staff though than driven/automatic train systems. OTOH moves towards driverless trains are probably motivated by a desire to cut staffing levels.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jonnty posted:

Or, you know, to make sure they're not closed into people's faces or so that they drag people along the platform when they leave.

The Heathrow thing is pretty awesome though - I reckon PRT must be the future of transport in this country if anything close to what roads are like now are to still exist in 50 years. With driverless cars you might not even need to do any infrastructure modifications.

Aren't the doors automated to reopen if they get stuck on something anyway? You see it all the time on the tube where people or their bags get trapped by the closing doors, which promptly reopen.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone have any thoughts on the upcoming Crossrail rolling stock decision? There is a good chance that Siemens will be able to offer a better contract due to the considerable overlap between this and the Thameslink contract, but that would be politically very difficult I think. As far I can tell (do correct me) the previous drama was mainly caused by Bombadier throwing a hissy fit: Siemens also manufactures stuff in the UK and Bombadier is Canadian anyway (although they probably prefer not that many people knowing).

e: I also just read that the contracts are anonymous when assessed. Is that true?

distortion park fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 19, 2013

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

coffeetable posted:

So this article on battery-powered trains got me thinking: what're the next-gen technologies as far as rail transport is concerned? I know there's maglev and all, but that seems like a dead end because of infrastructure costs.

They would be really really bad for the environment as well, those 8 ton batteries will need replacing all the time (the savings on fossil fuels will also prob be negative once you include the manufacturing costs of the battery). Electrification makes much more sense in the long term.

e: I'm not sure how much improvement is rail efficiency is physically possible, it is already ridiculously efficient. Going faster without using more energy will always have large infrastructure costs, and pouring concrete is very carbon intensive. I suppose the "next-gen" technology is really in reducing costs and improving design and town planning so that more people will travel by rail. There are also gains to be made in timetabling/organizational structure/signalling in order to get more tph on limited track space. None of them are very sexy though. This is a great graph from a very good freely available book.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 3, 2013

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Will the Maidenhead - Marlow branch at least be a little quicker? Last time I took it it felt like walking would have been quicker.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

sweek0 posted:

The Japanese system isn't nicely integrated either. The paying per segment means that you actually have to touch out and back in with your Oyster-equivalent if you're changing between two tube lines run by different companies.

Also, would it be fair to say that London buses were successfully privatised? Service levels, frequencies etc. set by a central body and really have improved (especially night services), simple and integrated fare structure, unified branding and relatively reasonable prices. Or am I missing anything?

The Japanese tube system is quite heavily privatized in places, although they did it in a weird way I think. Their companies seem to work together much better than ours though with trains through running on private and public railways.

The buses privatisation is more like a concession system which is typically much more successful than the quai privatisation system used for the national rail lines. The Overground uses a similar model and has also done very well.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Noreaus posted:

I don't get that graph. Why is the "Eco-Boat" the least fuel-efficient thing on there?

Edit: Ok, it's "Energy consumption". So I guess it's solar powered or some such.

Editagain: No, biodiesel. So...the 'eco boat' was really inefficient with its biodiesel?

Edit 3: It's "per passenger". Mystery solved.

I think the point is that the "Eco boat" was more a publicity stunt than everything else.

You can also only use the graph to compare different options for a journey of the same length, while a 747 may be more efficient than a car for a long journey they don't really serve the same market.

My big takeaway is that 1) For passangers boats are less efficient than plains (he explains that this is because of high energy use on the boats during travel, but perhaps you should subtract what those people would use normally during that time)

2) Trains are really really efficient, and it is far more important to provide a good train service that will get people out of planes/cars than to use the most energy efficient trains.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Metrication posted:

How will engineering works happen on the '24 hours tube lines'?

With large enough headways one track can be shut down and both directions run on the other. Copenhagen does this to achieve 24/7 service, shouldn't be too hard when most days it's closed at night.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bozza posted:

...and a final one of the fry up I got in the hotel cos it was pretty boss

I'm not sure about having the beans in a little pot!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

(One of?) The new central London underground maps shows the cable car disconnected from the rest of the network with no interchanges. It's more accurate I suppose and really funny

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The slow services to Maidenhead take forever, it's much better to plan your journey so that you get one of the fast trains, I think they take like 18min instead of 40+

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seems like it would be cheaper in the long term to install them and ditch the conductor

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's amazing how much more dangerous anything becomes once you introduce road vehicles to the mix.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I saw an elderly couple trying to drive the wrong way on a French motorway once

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Southern playing serious hardball with their conductors over DOO saying that they will deduct striking staff a week's wage for every 24 hour strike action they participate in (the period is staggered across two days) and anyone striking has to hand in their travel and car park passes :captainpop:

The weeks wages thing sounds kinda illegal but I'm no expert

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

So many ticket machines are garbage. Why can't you buy more than one ticket at once when using a 16-25 railcard? Why don't all the machines at Victoria sell tickets for the Beckenham line (and most why do they silently reject your card instead of telling you they can't?) why are they all so slow? Why are there 50 different tickets to Brighton from London Bridge, and no departure boards near the machines leaving you to guess what the correct one is. So many questions

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Instead of making you explore the various paths through the ticket and railcard options they should make you say what journey you want, what cards you have, then display all the options(with live train times!) so you can pick one.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Angepain posted:

Why they state a charge of thirteen quid rather than just spitting out the non-discount price i don't know. Punishment for not looking at the screen closely enough when ordering your usual ticket on autopilot slightly earlier than normal? I've noticed this as well on the scotrail ticket machines.

Soon you'll be suggesting that ticket machines should be able to sell more than one railcard journey at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Why do so many train stations not have enough ticket machines? Victoria is awful. And why are the machines so bad?

• Locked thread