Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Truancy-Bot posted:

I'm assuming it's because the "trailer voice over" stereotype has been parodied so heavily in popular culture in the past decade or so, to the point where audiences no longer take it seriously.

Also the most well known trailer V.O. guy died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sbagliom posted:

I've noticed that, would you happen to know any specific reason why they've stopped? Is it because Don Lafontaine is dead, or do they just assume people don't need help figuring out the plot anymore?

Fashion too I guess. There are a lot of people who could do it but now when it pops up it is more like in our Gangster Squad where it is a character and not a voice-over guy that is setting the scene. We still do a lot of VO for TV Spots though but it is more scripts now. From Josh Duhamel's VO on New Year's Eve...

SOME PEOPLE SWEAR THERE’S NO BEAUTY LEFT IN THE WORLD
NO MAGIC
THEN HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE ENTIRE WORLD COMING TOGETHER
ON ONE NIGHT
TO CELEBRATE THE HOPE…
OF A NEW YEAR

...we did New Year's Eve. I'm sorry.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

kiimo posted:

...we did New Year's Eve. I'm sorry.

That's nothing... I worked at the company that put together these atrocities:

Meet Dave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GUGRfUoKjE
Alvin and the Chipmunks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL-9QAZN_zM
College Road Trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljSKc7T9M68
Underdog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jooThaqeYg

and on and on.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So who was responsible for the Bridge to Teribithia trailer?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This movie didn't do very well at the box office, but it's not the fault of the trailer, which pretty much sums up how cool it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuqBKiKycbA

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Let's travel back to 1988. Batman may be a cultural icon, but not as a serious character. Adam West would be who most people identify with him. Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns", published in 1986, was a massive critical and commercial hit in the comic book industry, but relatively unknown to the general public. When a movie of Batman was announced, there was no good news to be had as far as most people were concerned. Comic book fans thought it'd be a campy disaster thanks to the casting of Michael Keaton (up to that point known for stuff like "Mr. Mom" and "Beetlejuice"), and the rest of the public thought it was silly that something like Batman could possibly have a serious side.

By the end of 1988, the hype surrounding "Batman" was downright toxic. To counter this, producer Jon Peters went into damage control. Even though the movie was still filming, Peters had a 90-second trailer hurriedly put together over a weekend. It was tested, unannounced before an audience in Westwood. The response was hugely enthusiastic. The audience even demanded they play the trailer a second time. This trailer for "Batman" played before movies during the Christmas season of 1988, and changed the public's perception of it.

Here is the trailer in question. Notice how unusual it is. No narration, no music, no title.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Robert Denby posted:

Here is the trailer in question. Notice how unusual it is. No narration, no music, no title.

Crazy. It's more like a demo reel to tell audiences to shut the gently caress up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
According to the book Hit & Run, this became a trailer that people would go to see just for itself- they'd buy a ticket for the film it was attached to and leave once it had played.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Great thread. OP, do you ever lament the fact that your job can act as one big spoiler for movies? I realize you're probably not bummed out over missing the genuine Bucky Larson experience, but something like Gangster Squad--does it bother you at all that you'll never just be able to sit down and enjoy the finished product without having seen it in various stages of production?

Also: I blame "Warrior" bombing mostly on the Godawful trailer, which actually edited in the announcer uttering, "Unbelievably, the two fighters in the final---ARE BROTHERS!" How does that happen without someone saying, "You know, that line is so groan-inducing people will actively avoid this otherwise fine film?"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you have more classic trailers please post.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 3, 2015

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Also: I blame "Warrior" bombing mostly on the Godawful trailer, which actually edited in the announcer uttering, "Unbelievably, the two fighters in the final---ARE BROTHERS!" How does that happen without someone saying, "You know, that line is so groan-inducing people will actively avoid this otherwise fine film?"

Not only that, it took away from the lead up fights. Pretty much everyone could have guessed that's where the movie would have led, but to have it confirmed right in the trailer took any doubt away.

The teacher vs. Russian fight still had me yelling out loud though, that movie was fantastic.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
When I think movie trailers, the one that sticks in my head is the original trailer for Tom Cruise's Mission: Impossible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbg99ykA2bk
I was pissed when I saw the film & realized the climax of the movie (the helicopter exploding in the train tunnel) was spoiled for me. Why give away the best part of the movie in the preview?

Another one that bothers me is The Negotiator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XyyPQERH7E
A possible powerful scene (Kevin Spacey teams up with Samuel L. Jackson) is spoiled right in the trailer.

Movies should follow the "less is more" concept when making trailers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Android Bicyclist posted:

Another one that bothers me is The Negotiator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XyyPQERH7E
A possible powerful scene (Kevin Spacey teams up with Samuel L. Jackson) is spoiled right in the trailer.

I saw trailers for The Negotiator so many times on TV when it came out that Spacey's "I wonder why that is!" is all I can think of when I think of that movie.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Everyone here is familiar with the term 'teaser', I assume. Pixar's kind of become the undisputed king of these, starting with A Bug's Life and Toy Story 2. These are good examples of teasers that are made with no footage from the film itself, to give audiences just an idea of what's coming out. Generally, these teasers are put out almost a full year before the film in question.

Much like the situation with "Batman" I went over a few posts ago, "Superman" had trouble grabbing audience attention before its advertising campaign began. The production was troubled to say the least, and it ended up being the most expensive film of it's time. Because of a protracted pre-production process and numerous delays while filming, the release date went from 1976, to summer of 1977, to Christmas of 1977, to summer of 1978, before finally settling on a Christmas 1978 release.

To boost interest in the film, this teaser was filmed for the Christmas of 1977, with a camera stuck into the bottom of an airplane, and the cast's names superimposed against the clouds.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
It's frustrating how even trailers from the relatively recent past can (seemingly) disappear. Good luck finding that aforementioned Starship Troopers teaser, or the original Fifth Element teaser, anywhere on the internet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

According to the book Hit & Run, this became a trailer that people would go to see just for itself- they'd buy a ticket for the film it was attached to and leave once it had played.

The last gasp of that would probably be the Episode One teaser they attached to Wing Commander. After that pretty much everything went online.

Something I thought was interesting was comparing the newest Amazing Spider-Man trailer with the one just previous to it. In it they both use the same shot for the climax of the trailer (Spidey on the rooftop that's collapsing) but it becomes obvious that they hadn't quite finished FX work as the most recent one added some kind of energy/electrical field to the sky.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

FoneBone posted:

It's frustrating how even trailers from the relatively recent past can (seemingly) disappear. Good luck finding that aforementioned Starship Troopers teaser, or the original Fifth Element teaser, anywhere on the internet.

I'm particularly annoyed that Universal doesn't put trailers on its DVDs or Blu-Rays anymore. I'm not sure why, at some point it just became standard practice for the company.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The last gasp of that would probably be the Episode One teaser they attached to Wing Commander. After that pretty much everything went online.
Hard to believe that just thirteen years ago, people would call their local theater, see which movie a trailer was playing before, buy a ticket, see the trailer, and leave before the movie itself. Now this trend continued the year after the "Batman" teaser...

In the summer of 1990, James Cameron began production on "Terminator 2: Judgement Day". To best announce the film's release for the summer of '91, he enlisted the late, great special effects master Stan Winston to direct a teaser depicting the construction of a T-800. The teaser, dubbed 'Building the perfect Arnold' is downright legendary to people who grew up in the late-80s early-90s.

This wasn't the first time Cameron had done this. The Abyss had a trailer out a year before it was released as well.

Something I thought was interesting was comparing the newest Amazing Spider-Man trailer with the one just previous to it. In it they both use the same shot for the climax of the trailer (Spidey on the rooftop that's collapsing) but it becomes obvious that they hadn't quite finished FX work as the most recent one added some kind of energy/electrical field to the sky.
kiimo posted "The Lord of the Rings" teaser as one of his favorites (still is a stunning trailer), and the two shots after the camera zooms in on the ring are visual effects tests for the MASSIVE software that don't appear anywhere in the films proper. Also funny to think that we were seeing footage from "Two Towers" and "Return of the King" two and three years before they'd appear in theaters, respectively.

Speaking of "The Lord of the Rings", here's the very first trailer, released exclusively online in the summer of 2000.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 11, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jefferoo posted:

I'm a bit of a trailer freak, I always get a good rush from a solid trailer, I almost enjoy them more than the actual movie. Trailers for Nolan movies have always gotten me pumped:

Nolan trailers always seem to follow the same 3-step pattern.

Trailer 1 - The Teaser:
Dark Knight, Inception, Dark Knight Rises
Trailer 2 - The Story:
Trailer 3 - This will get your rear end in the theater, it'll also be kinda spoilery

And they're all loving awesome.

As for adding one of my favorites, the first teaser for Wall-E was just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAWIIlXNGwY

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 11, 2012

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

kiimo posted:

Personally I would have gone in a bit of a different direction but maybe that's why I'm not the boss.

I think that the attempt is to show that this is NOT Public Enemies. This is NOT LA Confidential. This is NOT The Untouchables. This is unique, this is new.

And yeah it is Gosling and Stone again and that plays a huge part in the trailer but you should see the numbers on how much recognition they get in the general public.

Yeah, I was hoping for something more like L.A. Confidential, so I wasn't really feeling it. That's where it can be tricky when you're judging trailers - sometimes you're just judging the movie. I honestly didn't get new and unique from it though, it strongly brought to mind The Untouchables - Penn's Cohen, especially, seems an echo of De Niro as Capone. Perhaps not in the particulars of the character and performance, but just in the casting itself and the way it's emphasized in the selling. And of course the multi-ethnic team of agents specially picked to take down one excessively-powerful crime boss.

When a period movie is packaged with a lot of rowdy modern music, it tells me that they're aggressively selling it to the young male demo - a lot of the time its done with slammin guitars instead of rap, but the net effect is similar. But it seems pretty well done for that sort of thing*, and the cast is so good that I'm still interested even though I now have the sense that the movie isn't really for me.

*Contrast with the terrible trailer for the terrible Texas Rangers, which is only one example of many but was the first to spring to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKDH5S3NMuw

Hey, you know what movie has a great trailer? American Gangster. I was going to post it anyway just because I like it, but it strikes me that there's some useful parallels to Gangster Squad's. They both use Jay-Z songs, but American Gangster uses "Heart Of The City (Ain't No Love)," one of the better tracks off his last good album, and it's built around samples from Bobby Bland's early-mid 70s soul/R&B classic "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City" - a song that speaks pretty directly and instantly to the period, themes and setting of the film. It's a modern touch, and yet it lets you know that the movie isn't scared of its period setting, and it works with the imagery to rapidly establish a mood and atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s8pW4iGcj8

Gangster Squad uses the Just Blaze banger "Oh My God" off Jay's lovely comeback album, and I guess it's kind of exciting and cacophonous, which matches the action-heavy clips. I don't think it really helps creates a mood aside from one of testosterone-pumping mayhem. And that's fine, it's a different movie and maybe they're just being true to it.

(You can argue that American Gangster has it easier in terms of musical options, because there's simply a lot more cool, recognizable music out there that evokes early 70s New York City than there is stuff that does the same for late 40's-early 50s L.A., while also staying true to the mood of a tough crime drama. And that's probably true.)

But American Gangster also sets up its main characters and whets your appetite to be told a juicy story on a grand scale. (It actually hits that sweet spot you love with a trailer, where it can do all that while not revealing too many specifics of the story - the doesn't give you too many snippets, but the ones you do get are really intriguing and seem to form a larger picture.) I think no matter how the trends in blockbuster filmmaking change, audiences always respond to the promise of being told a good story with interesting characters. Some movies have advertising campaigns where it just seems like they forgot to mention that there's a story & characters at all (John Carter), and I believe that's the key to why they are often received indifferently.

I'm not making that charge of Gangster Squad, it's too early and I'm assuming there will be a second trailer which presents more of a narrative instead of simply a setting and premise. But even speaking as a guy who's already familiar with Mickey Cohen and William Parker and organized crime of the era, I don't feel like I have a picture of who anybody is except in the most broad stroke ways - here's a gangster, here's the guys going after him, here's a splash of romance on the side. None of it grips me. If you want to be something that's more than just L.A. Confidential meets The Untouchables, you gotta get detailed, you gotta make your mark.

(At this point I'm sort of bleeding into a tangent, which is that the material matters - people like to think advertising can sell anything, but it must be really hard to make a compelling trailer out of crap. I'm sure nobody on the planet could make Texas Rangers up there look good. Of course there's been a ton of great trailers for middling-to-bad movies, but they usually seize on the things that are interesting about the film and proceed to turn chicken poo poo into chicken salad. If Gangster Squad is truly just cardboard X meets X bullshit, then it's tough to present it as something unique - but if there is something deeper going on there, then I think you have to key in on it and promote that and not just more guns, gangsters and dames.)

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nolan trailers always seem to follow the same 3-step pattern.

Trailer 1 - The Teaser:
Trailer 2 - The Story:
Trailer 3 - This will get your rear end in the theater, it'll also be kinda spoilery

And they're all loving awesome.

As for adding one of my favorites, the first teaser for Wall-E was just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAWIIlXNGwY

I wonder if Kiimo he has any insight as to how Nolan's trailers have become so distinct. You pretty much know one as soon as it begins. Have they used the same vendor every time? Is Nolan himself involved on any level? He has a close relationship with Warner Brothers, has that facilitated the creating of this consistent Nolan 'brand'? You would love for every trailer to be as good as The Dark Knight's, but perhaps that would also require more movies be like TDK.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The thing about trendsetting trailers is when you look back on them with enough distance they often seem less fresh and interesting, I suppose due to being ripped off so much, and perhaps also the glib nature of advertising. Plenty of them do stand the test of time though. Kubrick always cut some incredible trailers:

The Shining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qDqdYY6-Y

Speaks for itself.

Eyes Wide Shut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIAneEiWEJ4

Always loved this one. I was 13 when this trailer debuted, I'd never seen any of Kubrick's films theatrically and was boiling over with anticipation. I downloaded a lovely quicktime of it and watched it a million times. It still holds up - it's simple and bold, but surprisingly playful too.

FoneBone posted:

Yeah, this drives me crazy. It's insane to me that these things that millions of people saw can seemingly disappear.

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

I dunno, I loved that Warrior trailer and it really sold me on the movie. They should've taken that line out and any of the stuff that alluded to them being brothers, because it's built up to really slowly in the flick, but otherwise I think it delivers. Everyone else I know who saw the trailer seemed underwhelmed by it too though, so maybe its just me.

Here it is, for the curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54vrgCP5nlc

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Actually the last gasp of it was when Last Flight of the Osiris (from the Animatrix) was exclusively previewed attached to Dreamcatcher. Otherwise, yeah.

Odd fact: the first movie to have its own official website was Stargate.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DNS posted:

I wonder if Kiimo he has any insight as to how Nolan's trailers have become so distinct. You pretty much know one as soon as it begins. Have they used the same vendor every time? Is Nolan himself involved on any level? He has a close relationship with Warner Brothers, has that facilitated the creating of this consistent Nolan 'brand'? You would love for every trailer to be as good as The Dark Knight's, but perhaps that would also require more movies be like TDK.

A lot to respond to but for now I'll say that the vendors changed but the same SVP did all of them, they have a great relationship. In fact, check that he's actually an EVP now. Nolan works with a lot of the same people on a lot of things so you kind of develop a brand. Thankfully that brand is really top notch. Once again it really helps when you have great source material.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 11, 2012

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One movie that always comes to mind when thinking about trailers is Cellular, a pretty stupid and forgettable semi-comedic thriller that was re-cut to look super dramatic and suspenseful. If you've actually seen the movie (which like, eight people have) you'll understand how different the two are in tone. It's quite remarkable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-wO0kG8as

And this is always good for a laugh when discussing common trailer tropes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhrz1-4hN4

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
So besides Cameron, there's another director fond of the 'special shoot' teaser; none other than Steven Spielberg, who has had to my knowledge seven films with these kinds of trailers.

1984: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
1989: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
1991: Hook
1993: Jurassic Park
1997: The Lost World
2005: War of the Worlds

The first special shoot trailer he did though, was in 1978, for one of his few financial disappointments; the infamous "1941". John Milius directed this recruitment-film-spoofing teaser starring John Belushi which debuted a full year before the film did. Notice Belushi's character is introduced as Wild Wayne Kelso. In the film, he's Wild Bill Kelso.

"1941" certainly wasn't a disappointment for lack of publicity. There was another special shoot trailer for the film made using the impressive miniature sets.

EDIT: Fixed grammar and BBcodes.

EDIT 2: Added "Temple of Doom" teaser.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 11, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Robert Denby posted:

So besides Cameron, there's another director fond of the 'special shoot' teaser; none other than Steven Spielberg, who has had to my knowledge six films with these kinds of trailers.

1989: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
1991: Hook
1993: Jurassic Park
1997: The Lost World
2005: War of the Worlds

The first special shoot trailer he did though, was in 1978, for one of his few financial disappointments; the infamous "1941". John Milius directed this recruitment-film-spoofing teaser starring John Belushi which debuted a full year before the film did. Notice Belushi's character is introduced as Wild Wayne Kelso. In the film, he's Wild Bill Kelso.

"1941" certainly wasn't a disappointment for lack of publicity. There was another special shoot trailer for the film made using the impressive miniature sets.

EDIT: Fixed grammar and BBcodes.

That Hook one is awesome. I can't believe I've never seen it before.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's The Campaign with a better link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDGlQopwXXA

Really though the red band is going to be the funny one, per usual.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
The only version I can find of that Fifth Element teaser, for the curious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHA8eR3lj8&t=0m8s

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The earliest special shoot teaser that I know of is the James Cagney gangster classic The Public Enemy made all the way back in 1931.

But the absolute weirdest special shoot trailer has to be this one for Miracle on 34th Street. Any reasonable person would ask, "Why the hell would you advertise a film this way?"

In 1946, Frank Capra released the self-financed "It's a Wonderful Life". It was a huge flop, losing several million (on a then-astronomical budget of $11 million) and single-handedly ended Capra's production outlet, Liberty Films, which only made one more film ("State of the Union", which was already in production when "Wonderful Life" came out).

Fox had just completed filming "Miracle on 34th Street" as the numbers for "It's a Wonderful Life" came in. Because both films were Christmas-themed, Fox thought they had a disaster on their hands, and tried to distance their film as much as possible from Capra's. None of "34th Street"'s advertising mentions the story, let alone that it takes place on Christmas. To further throw audiences off, the film was released on Memorial Day. The misdirection worked; "Miracle on 34th Street" was a box office success.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've a special love for trailers that are far better than the movie they advertize.

I still love the second trailer released for Clash of the Titans (the remake), even though the movie is boring.

But if there's one practice I hate, it's when a trailer shows shots from the final scene of a movie, or sometimes the actual final shot, like Quarantine and The Grey. You see the trailer, you watch the movie, and nearly at the end you realize "poo poo, I already saw this."

I went looking for a version of the trailer for the fundamentally stupid movie 10,000 BC which has about 10,000 words fly at the viewer in rapid succession, and realized that every trailer for that movie contains the scene where the bad guy has just been killed (the hero screams "he is not a god!").

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Robert Denby - I've never heard the term "special shoot" before - is this something actually used in the industry?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Late-80s-to-mid-90s the term 'special shoot' was used a lot in articles and books to talk about trailers like the ones I've posted. That's when they were more common and super-elaborate, where you got stuff like the "T2" one, which IIRC cost around $100,000. If I find it, I'll link a New York Times article from the early 90s about how much money and effort Warner Bros. put into trailers (it uses the term a few times as well). I've rarely heard it used recently, though.

EDIT: Here is that article. Thumbnailed because it's huge (I was too lazy to transcribe it).

Also they don't use the term 'special shoot' once. :downs:

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 11, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

davidspackage posted:

I've a special love for trailers that are far better than the movie they advertize.

I still love the second trailer released for Clash of the Titans (the remake), even though the movie is boring.

I remember when that trailer came out, someone on the forums said "Wow, That trailer just netted them an extra 20 mil opening weekend." because drat, it made everyone want to see it. I know I loved the music matching up to the scorpion stings.

Shame about the movie.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

davidspackage posted:

I love mythology and this trailer got my hopes up that the movie would at least be bad-rear end, entertaining, and full of gods and monsters loving poo poo up. Instead it was 2 hours of Sam Worthington making a mopey face, with some lackluster action scenes thrown in.

Seriously, how can you have such a great trailer for such a boring, poo poo movie?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

And this is always good for a laugh when discussing common trailer tropes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhrz1-4hN4
The trailer for the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy did something similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbGNcoB2Y4I

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Don't forget Comedian!

So as you can tell, year-in-advance teasers and/or 'special shoot' teasers were a bit of a fad in Hollywood for a few years. Here are some more from the heyday:

The Addams Family (1991)
Toys (1992)
Strange Days (1995)
Godzilla (1998)
The Green Mile (1999)
Hannibal (2001)

This teaser for GoldenEye announced the return of James Bond after a six year absence, by making a hybrid special shoot and normal trailer.

One of the last big ones was the infamous World Trade Center teaser for Spider-Man.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
There's the Star Trek teaser from about 3 years ago. I remember seeing it before Cloverfield.

http://youtu.be/p3EzkN0cPjw

This actually got me all excited about the new movie.

Edit: replaced it with better version

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 11, 2012

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

Strange Days (1995)

This is one of my all-time favorites, even if it's terrible at actually selling the film. "Are we beginning to see the possibilities here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I love, love, love the original trailer for District 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyLUwOcR5pk

I hadn't heard a word about the movie when I first saw this trailer and I was totally blown away. Brilliant.

Edit: Of course, the trailer I saw had no subtitles in the end and the prawn's face was blurred out, but I couldn't find that one on youtube.

• Locked thread