Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
First Les Mis link died, so I updated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

Going off of that, I know tons of former drama nerds who will see the film just so they can bitch about the performances and that their favourite cast member isn't in the film.

So maybe it's actually a genius marketing move!

A friend posted on Facebook tonight that Rock of Ages looks awful, and another friend posted that she wasn't impressed by the cast because they aren't Musical Theatre people (or at least the awesome part of the cast that I named).

But gently caress you, Tom Cruise is awesome.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Yoshifan823 posted:

A friend posted on Facebook tonight that Rock of Ages looks awful, and another friend posted that she wasn't impressed by the cast because they aren't Musical Theatre people (or at least the awesome part of the cast that I named).

But gently caress you, Tom Cruise is awesome.

That's weird. Isn't Rock of Ages basically Glee-style karaoke rock songs anyway? Tom Cruise is easily gonna be the best thing in that movie.

See, I want reactions like that. I posted the trailer and most people have been positive. :(

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

That's weird. Isn't Rock of Ages basically Glee-style karaoke rock songs anyway? Tom Cruise is easily gonna be the best thing in that movie.

See, I want reactions like that. I posted the trailer and most people have been positive. :(

Pretty much, it's like Mamma Mia, but better. Because Tom Cruise and Alec Baldwin.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I was at the cinema last night to see The Raid (which is loving awesome, by the way) and they had the cardbard marquee for Rock of Ages in the lobby. When I saw the "pick up the cardboard guitar and have a friend take a photo of you being a rock star!" thing on the front, I knew without looking at the cast that the movie was going be complete and utter poo poo. I don't care who's in it or what it's about - merely purchasing a ticket is going to be enough to shrivel your brain with psychic herpes. Don't do it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jedit posted:

Don't do it.

Imma do it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Android Bicyclist posted:

The latest Brave tv commercial featured music by the Dropkick Murphy's "I'm Shipping Up to Boston." They're an Irish punk band. :negative:

I'm guessing Celtic heritage was the idea but :wtc: were they thinking? There's no Boston in Scotland but there's a Boston, Ireland and Boston, England (the namesake) so the song makes no sense to the movie on at least 3 levels.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jedit posted:

I was at the cinema last night to see The Raid (which is loving awesome, by the way) and they had the cardbard marquee for Rock of Ages in the lobby. When I saw the "pick up the cardboard guitar and have a friend take a photo of you being a rock star!" thing on the front, I knew without looking at the cast that the movie was going be complete and utter poo poo. I don't care who's in it or what it's about - merely purchasing a ticket is going to be enough to shrivel your brain with psychic herpes. Don't do it.

Haha the first one was upstairs in our lobby. There is this whole movement right now with standees and banners and bunting getting more and more ostentatious. It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

That said, those things are developed by outside companies and you shouldn't judge the film by them.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

I shall do it. It looks like it could be good.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I want to hug the team that created this trailer for the re-release of the Star Wars trilogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39J2zBB-AyU

Seeing it in the theater without expecting it blew my mind. I had thought it was just going to be just the originals, but then holy poo poo! Special edition!

Of course this is what created the slippery slope of George Lucas editing his movies into four different versions, but for that brief moment in the trailer, all poo poo was awesome in the Star Wars universe.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
There's some fascinating stuff behind the first ever trailer for "Star Wars". I'm sure most goons are familiar with how much of a disaster the production of "Star Wars" was, from deserts destroying sets, to the film going overbudget and way overschedule. By Christmas of 1976, Fox had considered pulling the plug on the project several times, and things weren't helped when the above trailer played to bewildered audiences.

Strangely enough, Fox and Lucasfilm decided to advertize "The Empire Strikes Back", the exact same way with this teaser that debuted in the fall of 1979, attached to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" or "The Black Hole".

Now we reach the most infamous of "Star Wars" trailers for "Revenge of the Jedi". Yes, this title was used so late in the making of the film that not only did posters and action figures carry the name, but this trailer, which debuted before an August 1982 re-release of the first "Star Wars", also carries it.

On that topic, have the weirdest "Star Wars" trailer, for "Empire". No footage whatsoever from the movie, instead it's all Ralph McQuarrie's concept art and a few production photos.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Robert Denby posted:

On that topic, have the weirdest "Star Wars" trailer, for "Empire". No footage whatsoever from the movie, instead it's all Ralph McQuarrie's concept art and a few production photos.

That must have been so exciting to see. Everything's on screen just long enough for you to go "What the Hell is that?!"

For the full trailer, you have Harrison Ford doing his best old-timey radio announcer voice.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

That must have been so exciting to see. Everything's on screen just long enough for you to go "What the Hell is that?!"

For the full trailer, you have Harrison Ford doing his best old-timey radio announcer voice.

Haha you never really know if an actor or actress is going to be good at VO or not until they do it. That's awful.

Contrast that with Jon Hamm who discovered he's awesome at it a couple of years ago.

Mercedes-Benz Voiceover

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The teaser for JJ Abrams' "Star Trek 2" just dropped in out of loving nowhere. It's trying really hard to be the trailer for the first that played before "Cloverfield", but it... doesn't quite work in my opinion.
EDIT: Ignore; fan trailer.

For another really great "Star Trek" teaser, look no further than the first one, narrated by Orson Welles and with an awesome variation on the Paramount logo by legendary effects pioneer Douglas Trumbull.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 6, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

The teaser for JJ Abrams' "Star Trek 2" just dropped in out of loving nowhere. It's trying really hard to be the trailer for the first that played before "Cloverfield", but it... doesn't quite work in my opinion.

For another really great "Star Trek" teaser, look no further than the first one, narrated by Orson Welles and with an awesome variation on the Paramount logo by legendary effects pioneer Douglas Trumbull.

Khannnnn?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Robert Denby posted:

That's not even close to being real though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The two guys that appear at around the 0:30 mark of the fake Star Trek XII trailer are from a scene lifted from Alien Resurrection - the second guy is in fact Brad Dourif, who by the way did appear in several episodes of Star Trek Voyager. It comes from the scene where the Queen embryo is surgically removed from the Ripley clone.

The shot of Benedict Cumberbatch looks like a bad photoshop effect placed over a screencap from Sherlock as well - and that's probably exactly what it is.

I'm surprised anyone fell for such an obvious fake.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

That's not even close to being real though.

Vagabundo posted:

I'm surprised anyone fell for such an obvious fake.

:sigh:

In my defense, it's from movieclips, which as far as I know doesn't usually pull poo poo like this, but I should have looked further at the fine print and seen the words 'fan trailer' several times in the description. Sorry guys.

Please accept this awesome meta-trailer for "Time Bandits" as my apology.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 6, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Robert Denby posted:

:sigh:

In my defense, it's from movieclips, which as far as I know doesn't usually pull poo poo like this, but I should have looked further at the fine print and seen the words 'fan trailer' several times in the description. Sorry guys.

It's actually not an awful fake. If they did a better job with Cumberbatch at the end, tightened up the shots of Chris Pine and removed all of the incredibly silly Alien: Resurrection it would have appeared to be one of those show-nothing fakes.

The sad part is, you're now in the company of Harry Knowles by believing it was real.

The good part: you're not actually Harry Knowles.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Robert Denby posted:

There's some fascinating stuff behind the first ever trailer for "Star Wars". I'm sure most goons are familiar with how much of a disaster the production of "Star Wars" was, from deserts destroying sets, to the film going overbudget and way overschedule. By Christmas of 1976, Fox had considered pulling the plug on the project several times, and things weren't helped when the above trailer played to bewildered audiences.

Strangely enough, Fox and Lucasfilm decided to advertize "The Empire Strikes Back", the exact same way with this teaser that debuted in the fall of 1979, attached to "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" or "The Black Hole".

Now we reach the most infamous of "Star Wars" trailers for "Revenge of the Jedi". Yes, this title was used so late in the making of the film that not only did posters and action figures carry the name, but this trailer, which debuted before an August 1982 re-release of the first "Star Wars", also carries it.

You can't post all of those and not the first trailer for Episode I:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hOlI9cg4o

It's difficult to remember just how long the gap was between Jedi and Phantom Menace, and how big this trailer was as a result. This trailer pushed so many huge buttons: lightsabers, blasters, blaster sound effects, double lightsabers, C-3PO, space battles, Binary Sunset. In retrospect, everything that was wrong with the film is visible in the trailer too, but who noticed?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The first trailer for "Wreck-It Ralph" is up (video is about mid-way down). Could be fun, though I'm not crazy about the music in the second half of the trailer.

EDIT:

qntm posted:

You can't post all of those and not the first trailer for Episode I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hOlI9cg4o
The second trailer for "Phantom Menace" is the one I remember after all these years. I was 11 in '99, and my parents got wind that the trailer would be premiered on CNN, and surprised me the next morning by showing it to me. I think I watched that trailer every day for however many days until the movie came out on VHS.

qntm posted:

It's difficult to remember just how long the gap was between Jedi and Phantom Menace, and how big this trailer was as a result. This trailer pushed so many huge buttons: lightsabers, blasters, blaster sound effects, double lightsabers, C-3PO, space battles, Binary Sunset.
It's a real turning point for trailers too. This was the last time people would go to a movie in droves specifically to see a trailer (stuff like "The Dark Knight" and "The Dark Knight Rises" IMAX prologues before "I Am Legend" and "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" being the only modern exceptions). Trailers on the internet weren't new in 98/99, but they first became viable thanks to "Phantom Menace".

EDIT 2: It's also funny to see the trailer for this year's 3D re-release and notice what they left out.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 6, 2012

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Robert Denby posted:

The first trailer for "Wreck-It Ralph" is up (video is about mid-way down). Could be fun, though I'm not crazy about the music in the second half of the trailer.

Yeah, the music isn't the best match. It would have been more clever naming-wise, had the song been paired with it's popular remix, Levels.

I love all the cameos. I thought when I saw the teaser that they would just have homages to the classic 8-bit characters (Donkey Kong vs Mario, Wreck-It Ralph vs Fix-It Felix), but nope! Clyde, Bowser, Zangief, Dr Wily, Dr Egghead (Whatever happened to Robotnik?) ... awesome. Should be a fun movie, and the kids (and our inner-kids) will love it.

I wonder if they'll come out with an Arcade game?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Nybble posted:

Dr Egghead (Whatever happened to Robotnik?)

Doctor Eggman is less "oh no the russians" than Robotnik.

I liked that trailer personally.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nybble posted:

Yeah, the music isn't the best match. It would have been more clever naming-wise, had the song been paired with it's popular remix, Levels.

I love all the cameos. I thought when I saw the teaser that they would just have homages to the classic 8-bit characters (Donkey Kong vs Mario, Wreck-It Ralph vs Fix-It Felix), but nope! Clyde, Bowser, Zangief, Dr Wily, Dr Egghead (Whatever happened to Robotnik?) ... awesome. Should be a fun movie, and the kids (and our inner-kids) will love it.

Part of the marketing involves them touring a Fix-It Felix arcade machine (which I believe they've already been bringing to comic conventions over the past few months) around the country.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

First trailer for Django Unchained got leaked early: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/django-unchained-trailer

I'm not the biggest QT fan, but this does look pretty cool and everyone involved is a pretty good actor, so I'll probably check it out. The music is about what you'd expect for a QT movie trailer, although the way it's cut seems a little slicker than his previous films. DiCaprio in particular seems like he's enjoying the role, and it's nice to see him make something besides a scrunched up frowny face in a movie. And while it would've been cool to see Will Smith in a QT film, I can't see him being able to not smile or look smug or cool long enough to do the character justice in this one.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 6, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MatCauthon posted:

First trailer for Django Unchained got leaked early: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/django-unchained-trailer

Awesome. So awesome.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

kiimo posted:

Awesome. So awesome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't notice at first that he's just sitting there smoking while she's bent over scrubbing something in front of him. Haha.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Nybble posted:

I am seriously loving floored that Nintendo let someone else use their characters. Makes me wonder how much money Disney threw at them.

Also, Jane Lynch as Samus? loving yes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's not Samus, that's Sargent Calhoun apparently. The price-tag for characters drops significantly if you're just using them for a cameo, right? Or maybe they factor in the marketing it'll do. Basically I'm trying to minimize the cost of that stupid Villain Anonymous bit.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's not Samus, that's Sargent Calhoun apparently. The price-tag for characters drops significantly if you're just using them for a cameo, right? Or maybe they factor in the marketing it'll do. Basically I'm trying to minimize the cost of that stupid Villain Anonymous bit.

Considering that Nintendo's financial numbers haven't been great lately (IIRC), it probably wasn't that much. Plus, it was (only) Bowser, not a Yoshi, Samus, or even Mario.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I present to you, the most underwhelming trailer ever. This trailer was shown before IMAX screenings of "The Dark Knight" in 2008, and it's the only time I've heard an audience boo a trailer. The other times I saw "Dark Knight" in IMAX the trailer got a disbelieving laugh when it was over.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Robert Denby posted:

and it's the only time I've heard an audience boo a trailer.

You never saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNDp03udhg in theaters?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

One of the strangest, funniest audience reactions to a trailer I've seen was the full-body groan/laughs when "From The Mind of M Night Shyamalan", or whatever, appears during the trailer for Devil.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
My dad took me to see Attack of the Clones in theaters, attached to it was a trailer for Like Mike that played to dead silence. When it ended, these two guys up front:

"Boooo."

And the whole theater broke into laughter.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

When I went to see Wall-E opening night, the projectionist screwed up and put two copies of that trailer on the film, one right after the other. When it started again, a young kid went "Are you kidding me?!'

Needless to say, it was a laugh riot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LesterGroans posted:

One of the strangest, funniest audience reactions to a trailer I've seen was the full-body groan/laughs when "From The Mind of M Night Shyamalan", or whatever, appears during the trailer for Devil.

... he said, admitting he had not seen Lady In The Water or The Village.

Nothing strange about people groaning at the thought of a movie from the arse of M Night Shyamalan. The guy's a good director, but he needs to do a couple of work for hire projects to remind people of the fact while he takes longer on his own scripts. Tarsem Singh has the same problem.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The problem with that argument is that his movies have gotten progressively shittier. The scripts he writes suck poo poo and the work for hire movie he did sucked even more poo poo, more than Lady in the Water.

He deserves to have people groan or laugh when his name shows up in a trailer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was so happy to see the 6th sense parody of this because it was exactly my reaction. My girlfriend at the time glanced at me during it and said "Jesus you look like you want to die".

I walked in late the second time I saw Wall•E to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I didn't actually see the video of the trailer in that link, so here's an embed of the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdM9vrCbow

• Locked thread