Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pick Hard posted:

The "Make him look tactical" line sold me on this new Robocop. I think it's going to be a lot more satirical than everyone's saying.

Well maybe there's a whole lot going on in the movie that we haven't seen yet, but everyone outside of Michael Keaton looks completely serious-to-joyless in the trailer. Not just the main characters- even the scientists who I assume will fill out the background as they did in the original looked like they weren't in on the "joke".

How weird is it to pin your hopes on Michael Keaton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

I'm also intrigued because it looks like it might actually raise discussion about Drones.

Good point. So long as you have avoided virtually every other national/international news source for the past ~2 years, along with almost every movie, TV show, book or other medium for fiction dealing with modern warfare or the War on Terror or American Diplomacy over the past decade or etc etc etc...then Robocop (the remake) will finally serve as that thing that raises discussion about the cons of drone warfare.

Also assuming you haven't seen the 2005 Opus Stealth

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Based purely on the trailer, at best it seems like the twist/insight of the movie could be that now Murphy is completely unnessisary to the robocop equation. In Robocop and Robocop 2, it was generally accepted that Murphy ended up being a vital part of the equation- in 1 he provides the wisdom and humanity that keeps ED-209 from being anything other than a total failure, while in 2 it's that Murphy is somehow uniquely suited to the terrifying emptiness of the robocop existence. Here it seems like OCP already has a functional robot, and Murphy is just a PR face to it.

This would have been a nice little surprise for act 3, had it not been spelled out in the trailer.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Its also unfortunately undermined by the terrible costume/makeup design.

Yeah by the way your observation/comparison of the suits above is spot-on. :)

Also in line with that observation- re-watching the trailer all of Robocop's movements look like a guy wearing a heavy suit of armor. It's a little bulky/awkward, but it's generally natural, fluid and coordinated like a normal person walking around.

I have to imagine someone watching the original while writing this one and thinking "Man, people had dumb ideas about how a robot would move back then! It should move all slick and cool! Like *whoosh cha-chick blam blam blam*" He then went back to class after recess.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 6, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

What? I think you're letting nostalgia come in and cloud the issue up too much. When Robocop came out no one loved it because it "has so much of the 80s in it" because it was the 80s at the current time. I think if you can't break out of this mindset you are probably doomed to not like anything in the new one.

Pretty much.

I think this is unfair. Yeah there are people who are unhappy just because they don't like new stuff, but for me it's that the original Robocop was like introductory high-school literature. While accessable as an action film, the themes, imagrey and allegories were numerous, well layered and easy to pull out and analyze. It's not a "greatest of all time" movie, but you could return to it an re-interpret it a number of times and feel rewarded. It also took risks in its empty protagonist and even emptier victory at the end.

This movie looks like genre fiction by comparison. I can't tell if the visuals or message are doing much to present something I didn't see in Minority Report a decade ago.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 6, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Re: Robocop

Samuel Jackson says "This is the future of American justice." That should be ringing your satire bell.

In the original, Robocop was sold to the public as a robot, which was a lie. This time around, it seems Robocop is being presented to the public as human, which is a lie in a different way. That Robocop is a human brain who is unable to make decisions that contradict his superiors because of systemic restrictions is maintained.

Robocop's face needs to be different because of the above. 1987 Robocop's face was horrifying because the public was never meant to see it. His helmet was fastened down hard and Lewis had to unscrew several bolts it to take it off. 2014 Robocop's face looks like a guy in a suit and his helmet easily pops up and down because his face is meant to be seen by the public, he is meant to interact with his family, he is supposed to look somewhat reassuring that the Robocop program is a Good Thing™. They want people to see his face. "Look, we saved this brave law enforcement officer with technology" OCP is going to tell the public, leaving out the fact that they've programmed him to lose his free will. There is actually something more insidious about this.

There are hovering drone fighters shooting on cities, which should be ringing your "political commentary" bell. Yes, it's late to the "drones are evil" commentary that Iron Man 3 and Star Trek 12 already did, but at least this movie has some more thought put into it than "let's put the same Robocop in 2014!"

Robocop 1987's appearance represented the 80's pretty well, since he was clunky and silver and ED-209 had a grill like a boombox. They looked like 80's electronics. As someone pointed out several months ago, Robocop 2014's appearance mirrors our modern electronics: black metal and glass.

There is so much going on in this trailer if you spend more than five seconds to think about it.

SLJ's line is ringing everyone's satire bell. It's just also ringing a lot of people's "This is loving obvious and tired and totally uninteresting satire" bell as well.

Saying we shouldn't militarize or corpratize a police force has been said in a thousand dystopian books and movies and tv shows before...including the original Robocop and its sequels. Why should this movie get anything other than an eyeroll for repeating it?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 6, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Why would you criticize this Robocop over it when the satire in the 1987 Robocop was "obvious" and "tired" already as well? Dystopian scifi books and movies covering militarized police existed before 1987, and that Robocop had the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Because it was far more original 25 years ago to layer that satire and message into an action movie than it is today. Because the new Robocop gets to crutch itself on the previous movie and that one didn't. Because it was willing to go sledgehammer and (with the hindsight of seeing the whole thing) make it work while still keeping the movie together. Because more than 1 actor looked to be enjoying themselves in that one. Because that one used intense violence and body horrors to make the audience uncomfortable. Because that one seemed to have a philisophic concept of "Self" and "mind" worth caring about. Because the original took risks with an unrelateable protagonist and ultimately hollow ending.

Maybe the new Robocop will turn out amazing. But there's nothing in the trailer that says to me it's anything but a shallow action film with a paper-thin message.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

You criticize the new one for being too obvious with its satire, and praise the old one for being obvious in its satire. You criticize this new one for being shallow, but also criticize it for being too much like the original. You're criticizing this one based on its trailer but you're praising the old one based on stuff you never would've gotten from its trailers.

C'mon. What this boils down to is that you just don't want a remake. Try to keep an open mind!

I didn't say I didn't like the new one's satire just because it's obvious- I said it's tired AND obvious AND uninteresting. But really I should have said this one didn't show much of any humor, which is kind of the key to having satire actually work. Micheal Keaton looking at his murder-bot and saying with all the seriousness of a fashion designer "make it black!" comes close. Nothing in the SLJ dialogue actually approaches humor, unless you find editorials from Foreign Policy the funniest poo poo since Chappelle Show.

And what's the contradiction between it being shallow and too much like the original? The original is actually fairly deep- but even if you think it was shallow then it can be both bad because it hems too close to the original and because it's a shallow shlocky film.

And yeah I'm comparing a trailer here to the actual original! What do you expect- for me to be like "well this trailer matches up well the old trailer so I project this to be as good as the old one!" Trailers are crafted marketing tools, not some core sample of the movie that serve as proxy data.

I don't want a remake AND this looks like a bad movie! It's like a two-fer!

Edit- like, they could have made something interesting to me and I would be wary, but I'd admit it was interesting. Nothing so far actually looks interesting because anything that could be a unique spin from the Robocop idea looks to be swept out of the way to make sure the action movie plot beats can be hit.

For example- if they had gone all in on this "he's just the pretty face for a robot death squad", I could see that as an interesting story. Like take the entire first half of Captain America with Murphy proving he's the All American good guy and fighting for a position in this elite project...and then they completely subvert that into the Robocop lore? Cool. I might be on board. But because the movie looks to be both shallow and unoriginal, it stays close to the origin story and just moves all this "needs a human face" stuff into exposition.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

coffeetable posted:

Is there a Robocop thread lying around that this could all go in? Doesn't seem suited for the trailers thread.

It's also going on in the Greenlight thread ATM... you're right and I'll try to not clutter up this thread any more.

• Locked thread