Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This movie didn't do very well at the box office, but it's not the fault of the trailer, which pretty much sums up how cool it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuqBKiKycbA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
According to the book Hit & Run, this became a trailer that people would go to see just for itself- they'd buy a ticket for the film it was attached to and leave once it had played.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

FoneBone posted:

It's frustrating how even trailers from the relatively recent past can (seemingly) disappear. Good luck finding that aforementioned Starship Troopers teaser, or the original Fifth Element teaser, anywhere on the internet.

I'm particularly annoyed that Universal doesn't put trailers on its DVDs or Blu-Rays anymore. I'm not sure why, at some point it just became standard practice for the company.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Trailer music is usually Lux Aeterna by the Kronos Quartet, or some other piece taken from another movie's score.

Another common quotation is "The Office" from Michael Kamen's score for Brazil. (Starts at around 0:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvo6ChoKCF4

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Robert Denby posted:

On that topic, have the weirdest "Star Wars" trailer, for "Empire". No footage whatsoever from the movie, instead it's all Ralph McQuarrie's concept art and a few production photos.

That must have been so exciting to see. Everything's on screen just long enough for you to go "What the Hell is that?!"

For the full trailer, you have Harrison Ford doing his best old-timey radio announcer voice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

BlueBayou posted:

It always bugs me that dude at the start tells Kirk to enlist in starfleet. If he becomes and officer, wouldn't he commission, not enlist?

Star Trek has historically paid very little attention to how rank works. (See: Miles O' Brien, apparently the only enlisted man in the entire fleet.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So, having purchased the movie Videodrome from its original investors after writer/director David Croneberg's Scanners topped the box office, Universal Pictures found itself with a problem- they had no idea what the Hell they had just bought or how to sell it. A test screening was a disaster, and they didn't know if it was a horror movie or an art film or what.

First they tried this teaser, which is kinda straightforward and points to the central shock image of the picture. They went really sci-fi on the end title treatment.

Then they decided that, well, Deborah Harry is in this movie, we can sell it to her fans, and they came up with something that could I guess be used as a club background, set to a Blondie song and using the finest graphics that Commodore 64s could produce.

This was the result.

Finally, for the official trailer, Universal combined the psychedelic cyberpunk imagery with actual footage from the movie and an actual attempt to explain what it was about. They almost succeed.

You'll note that none of the trailers use the title treatment that actually became the official one for the movie, which I guess only really stuck via the home video release.

Needless to say, Universal did not make their money back.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be a hilarious disaster whatever happens.

What makes MGM's decision on this so funny is that the first Red Dawn wasn't even a huge hit. It was supposed to be, and they hyped up the jingoist angle even more than John Milius intended, but it only really broke even domestically.

Now there's even LESS interest in seeing us fight "commies", they had to change it from the Chinese to North Korea, North Korea is rightly viewed as kind of pathetic and unable to be a true military threat...

It just baffles me that MGM continues to exist. You figure another studio would have bought them out in total by now, so they could just use the brand.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

The problem is MGM's library is far too valuable. It keeps the company floating along and inflates the price.

They sold it all to Ted Turner in the mid-80s, though. They were going to sell the whole studio but Turner ran into financial difficulty and had to sell back the MGM brand and logo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Idiots! All of you, idiots!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

It will take some getting used to. I can't imagine seeing him kill OBL.

Burt Macklin is a stone cold killer.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The TV spots for The Last Exorcism 2 now start with a news blurb on the radio announcing Pope Benedict's resignation. I have no idea whether that blurb will be in the movie or not, but it's an admirably blatant bit of barnum.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Prometheus is on HBO now and watching it just reminded me of how crazy the ad campaign was for the movie. Mostly from how the trailers all prominently featured the scene where the Prometheus crashes into the Engineer spaceship which is almost the end of the movie.

Yeah, normally I don't mind spoilers but that was too drat for.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

Trailer for PARANOIA aka Harrison Ford Looks Weird Bald

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mjtqcOp_64

I don't get this. Why does so much of the film take place in Outdoors Sector when we know it is inhabited primarily by mutants, traitors, and commie mutant traitors?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

The trailer for Terry Gilliam's The Zero Theorem is making the rounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQKFqXBwoao

Holy poo poo. I had no idea this film was even being made. Gilliam does Boschian dystopia again.

:getin:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well it worked for Life of Pi (Basically- it kinda broke even and won a couple of Oscars.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering, though, if the idea isn't that this Robocop is more in touch with what he used to be. I dunno.

I'm willing to wait and see but the preview isn't terribly well done either. This may end up being like the Thing remake/prequel/thingy, where it's worth catching on cable eventually.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

LeJackal posted:

If he starts out as being 'more in touch with his humanity' it sort of guts the 'regains humanity' angle though, don't you think?

Well, they could replace that with "struggling to retain his humanity". There's actually a really good short story along those lines- a celebrated dancer is mortally wounded in a fire, they transfer her brain to a robot body, at first it seems like it's okay and they've all got her back, but there's clearly something mechanical creeping in...

drat, will have to dig up the book to cite that more specifically. But you could do sort of a Cronenbergian "you want to be the same old person but you won't be" thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

LeJackal posted:

They won't, though. Its a PG-13 focus-group tested slickified 'safe bet' remake of a popular franchise from the past loaded with nostalgia that pretty much ensures the exclusion of:

A) Any form of intellectual exercise, including difficult questions on the nature of identity and the process of death, the machinations of corporatism and subsumation of the individual, or the quintessential struggle for humanity to separate the self from technology.
B) Any visceral or 'gory' visuals that would shock the viewer into a state of mental/emotional vulnerability that would allow for penetrating observations or reflections on a number of topics or that would add a sense of realism to ground the fantastic elements.

In short, the film promises to be sterile and impotent both visually and intellectually - the exact opposite of Cronenberg, who has always sought to push the limits of the essential question; Who am I? Either by questioning the boundaries of the body and its uselessness as a border of self, or the mental/emotional aspect of identity which is even more malleable and less reliable than flesh, Cronenberg would seem to be the antithesis of the presented film in scope and depth.

I'm not sold on the film at all, mind you. It being soulless and bland is a very real possibility. All I'm saying is that there is in theory potential- as great a film as the original is, the premise is broad enough that a remake could work, and actually changing a few key elements could help this film avoid being just a retread of things that Verhoeven already did better.

It may not be enough of a change to actually get out from the original's shadow, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Showgirls was just one of a long line of "seamy side of showbiz" movies and not even the first to focus on strippers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Been on a Godzilla kick lately, and have enjoyed digging up some old U.S. trailers for kaiju films.

First, a compilation of spots for Godzilla 1985: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHiPuGzmQD0

Showa trailers, 1956-64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzxAtBETUNE

1964-1968: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18mzNZgBu7Q

1969-1975: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiruzvy_opE

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I am actually surprised Carl Weathers has not made a appearance in The Expendables.

He's officially banned from craft services tables now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Footage shot with anamorphic lenses is 2.35 (wider horizontally than 16:9) unmatted, i.e. you're seeing the entirety of the frame and there's nothing beyond the black bars you would see if you were watching it on a 16:9 screen. The lens distorts the picture so everyone looks skinny (squeezed) in a standard film frame, then you project it with a special lens that squishes everything back to "normal". Shooting anamorphic allows you to pack more detail into the frame, making for a better looking picture.

Yeah, and I think that's still the normal practice for anything that's going to be 2.35:1. (Although so much is shot on digital video now that I'm not sure how that interacts with lenses and such.)

For smaller aspect ratios you are (on film at least) starting with a 4:3 35mm frame, and cutting off parts of the image, either in camera or after the fact.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

It sounds like they stuck with the original Fincher / Sorkin script, which is a three-scene thing that shows Jobs backstage prior to, as I recall, the launches of the Macintosh, the NeXT computer and the iMac.

So ... yeah, it's going to be the most masturbatory thing ever.

I somehow doubt that Sorkin is going to be completely uncritical of the man, given The Social Network.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeesh, that color grading is just painful to look at.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

I guess trailers with slow & sad cover songs are still going to be a thing for the next couple of years.

That does stand out in a bad way, yeah. Like they're aiming for gravitas but instead it distracts from the cool stuff on screen.

Margot Robbie does look like she's going to dominate this, though. Good for her.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I can't get over how much that dad watching TV looks like Tim Heidecker.

Looked like Greg Kinnear to me. May well have been.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The trailer's leaning heavy on the jokey side but maybe that'll work. Visuals look great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I was disappointed in the crawlers at first but then I realized they look like the weird lizard thing that menaces Jack in the original Kong.

• Locked thread