Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
So, the trailer for the musical version of Les Miserables is out, and I have to say, it looks pretty excellent. It has the epic scope that it should, and Jackman looks great as Valjean.

Now the big question will be - can the 2 big stars (Jackman and Crowe) pull off the vocals? Gerard Butler's weak performance as the Phantom tanked that movie, hopefully these 2 can hold their own. Jackman has a strong theater background, but I don't know if I have ever heard Crowe sing.

EDIT: new link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGyiq2ElZqw

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

I liked the trailer and I liked the singing. Obviously it wasn't Lea Michele-good, but Hathaway's a great actress. Why bother doing a new version of the film and sticking to the same-old?

Yeah, I felt that what she might have lacked in technical expertise, she made up for with emotion. I am usually the most critical of performances, but I liked her take on it.

(Ruthie Henshall is my favorite of the Fantines I have heard, personally)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

First Les Mis link died, so I updated it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

The problem with that argument is that his movies have gotten progressively shittier. The scripts he writes suck poo poo and the work for hire movie he did sucked even more poo poo, more than Lady in the Water.

He deserves to have people groan or laugh when his name shows up in a trailer.

The disappointing thing is that his name at the end of a trailer used to be a GOOD thing, rather than the joke it is now. In fact, it made the teaser trailer for Lady In The Water one of my favorites of that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF6g0-IkKCk

I remember people gasping at the end of this in the theater, and buzzing about it later. The movie wasn't very good, but as a short 1 minute film I still love this trailer.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 13, 2012

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

That Cloud Atlas trailer is pretty amazing, I can't imagine that the movie could possibly live up to it. There are a few trailers that just work on their own as little works of art, and that one, IMO, is one of them.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

It is disappointing how bad/generic those Ender's Game trailers are. The parts of the book I still remember fondly are the battle room and the dream-like Giant game. Almost none of that stuff is in there, and it looks like a generic sci-fi shooter that isn't even trying to play the twist ending.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Anyone who uses the term "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" should have their film opinions automatically ignored.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

New (awesome) trailer for The Wolf of Wall Street:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pabEtIERlic

OK, THAT rules. Scorcese still killing it, I see.

---

I actually really liked the X-Men trailer. And I enjoyed the Sunshine music, it's the only redeeming thing from that terrible film and worked pretty well, I think.

It's amazing to me how much my interest in the franchise skyrockets when Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are involved. First Class was a fun (but flawed) movie, but Fassbender and MacAvoy just don't have the same presence as those two.

(X2 best X-Men movie)

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 30, 2013

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Deakul posted:

Official Marvel youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeOjFno6Do

Looks loving amazing, I love how it seems to be retaining the grit of Winter Soldier.

Spader's voice is surprisingly badass. I guess that's what he's known for these days, but I still think of him as the young guy in Stargate and Sex Lies and Videotape.

Hard to tell if the movie will be good, but it looks like the right level of spectacle for a summer blockbuster.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

(re: ant-man) Wow, what a bad trailer. You cast a comedian as the title role and then make a trailer with 1 joke and a bunch of generic looking action footage? I was sure we were going to see Guardians 2.0, since they clearly figured out how to market a comedy/action/comic book movie that time. But nope! Generic poo poo!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

The MSJ posted:

The Killing Joke animated movie trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTSqgJPVl8

Oof, the disconnect between the classic voice actors and the awful Newgrounds-level animation is jarring.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Jedit posted:

^^^ The Ladykillers, perchance?

I didn't like that movie, but I'm not sure you're meant to. It also doesn't end, it just stops. I don't know if that's a fault with the book, but it felt to me like the movie had run out of things to say and nobody knew how to wrap it up.

Definitely a great cast, though.

That movie has one of my favorite endings, I love it. The only better ending in their canon is the ending to A Serious Man, which is so goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Netflix put out the trailer for Luke Cage, looks pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytkjQvSk2VA

• Locked thread