Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
First of all -- That was you guys behind the Argo trailer? OUTSTANDING work. As you can tell by my avatar, really wish I got a better glimpse of Kyle Chandler (maybe he's not in it much anyway), but you get the film across clean and you nail the balance between inherently absurd concept and serious stakes (and by virtue making the film look like it does the same). If I was directing a movie and you cut a trailer that good for me? I don't care how good the source material was; I'd drop whatever I had to do that night and buy you all a round of beer.

How's that for an ego massage? Too much? Maybe a little creepy?

Oh well, anyway:

kiimo posted:

Here's Gangster Squad, let me know what you think. Criticisms welcome.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/gangstersquad/

Yeah, I see how the rap music can be off-putting, but of all the rap music you could've picked this was probably the way to go. It's still a little disassociated from the era, but you guys managed to give the whole thing a unique, pulpy vibe that I really dig -- and with Ruben Flesicher and Will Beall (he wrote some of the more serious and cool episodes of the TV show Castle) involved I'm sure that's exactly the kind of film it is.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kiimo posted:

My boss and Ruben get along swimmingly. He's pumped about it. Personally I would have gone in a bit of a different direction but maybe that's why I'm not the boss.

I think that the attempt is to show that this is NOT Public Enemies. This is NOT LA Confidential. This is NOT The Untouchables. This is unique, this is new.

And yeah it is Gosling and Stone again and that plays a huge part in the trailer but you should see the numbers on how much recognition they get in the general public.

I definitely got Untouchables vibes anyway, but those are inescapable. Either way, I can definitely see how this'll put more asses in seats than at least Public Enemies (of course, I'm sure you all hope so). Now that you mention it, I've noticed how Gosling and Stone take up a lot of the major beats of the trailer; the Public Enemies trailer tried a similar thing with the relationship between Dillinger and Billie Frechette, but I can imagine women are going to feel a lot more invested in a Gosling / Stone reunion than in Johnny Depp romancing Marion Cotillard.

So the young ladies come out to see that while their boyfriends come to see cops and robbers kicking the poo poo out of each other. Solid strategy; hope it works!

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 10, 2012

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Out of curiosity, did you ever have any projects where you had great source material, but all the elements had low visibility in testing (assuming you can discuss stuff like this)? I'm sure that's rare to non-existent judging by where you seem to be working, but I'm interested in how you and your vendors would approach it.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 10, 2012

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kiimo posted:

Do you mean like, the film is good but there aren't any stars to anchor the trailer to or a well-known story? Because I'm picturing Martha Marcy May Marlene even though we didn't do that.

Yeah, pretty much.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Vagabundo posted:

Can't wait for the next adaptation of a Victorian novel to have a trailer with a rap song.

Fact: more people would be inclined to check out The Remains of the Day if someone cut a trailer to "Otis".

Looks like Stevens got his swaggah back! Truth.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Harry Privates posted:

You can see that already in Boogie Nights.

Also pretty much every other film he's made save Sydney and There Will Be Blood.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

2012 also gave us probably the best fake trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2qxFkcLM0

I'll never not find "CORCOVADOOH-NO!!!" funny.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

penismightier posted:

No Church in the Wild is a great pick. The second song? Not so much.

Funny, I feel exactly the opposite. "No Church" just feels really disconnected, while "Love is Blindness" just nails the tone.

quote:

Looks great though, everything is so huge!

I'm simultaneously frightened and excited to see this one in 3D because...seriously, GOOD GOD. The first 10 minutes of Australia left me completely punch drunk, I can't imagine being assaulted by that kind of imagery in 3D.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Robert Denby posted:

I always think of "Gatsby" as being a small, subtle book, so seeing that trailer is very jarring. I'm a bit intrigued. They really seem to be duplicating that sickly-green two-color Technicolor look (which was also duplicated in "The Aviator").

If I remember, back when this movie was first announced, Luhrmann was quoted as saying that he wanted to use this movie to turn a mirror on today's society and say "You've been drunk on money." So in that respect, he seems to be on his way to hitting that mark by really pressing the decadence of the period.

I somehow made it through high school without reading Gatsby, though. (Which I might be grateful for if we didn't read bullshit like The Light in the Forest instead. Seriously, motherfuck that book.) So I don't know if that approach is all that true to what Fitzgerald was going for.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I kept meaning to post this.

I can't remember the movie, but it was something geared mostly towards younger audiences, so they played a few kiddie trailers. First one that came up was The Pirates! Band of Misfits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxJVHv_bmhk

Pretty standard stuff, really wants to sell you on the jokes, the zany antics, etc. You get wacky voices, a few over-the-top sound effects, and The Ramones' most popular song. I mean it's Aardman, of course there's more to it (apparently much more, it turns out), but it's really very safe.

Which made this stand out all the more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVEGvdpLmJI

Look at that. Look at that loving trailer. No sound effects, not even for title cards, except for at the very end. Sold ENTIRELY on creepy visuals, set to Donovan's "Season of the Witch", and the tag line is slick and evocative without being corny.

Of course, everyone in the theater was put off by it, because it was "weird" and "gross."

Screw 'em.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
My dad took me to see Attack of the Clones in theaters, attached to it was a trailer for Like Mike that played to dead silence. When it ended, these two guys up front:

"Boooo."

And the whole theater broke into laughter.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Come now. Give a film a chance.

Of course it won't be better than The Raid. That doesn't mean it won't be fun. It looks like a lot of fun.

I liked Pete Travis's Vantage Point, I thought it was a fun little action / espionage movie that took itself a little too seriously at times. Dredd doesn't look like it'll have that problem at all.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Taken 2: Wherein Liam Neeson Laughs At Your Pathetic Attempt At Revenge

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's fuckin' stupid, just push it back a bit. In 4 months no one is going to be talking about this (sad but true).

It's kind of smart from a business standpoint. It gives them a legitimate reason to release a "Director's Cut" DVD down the road.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Apple's now hosting the Cloud Atlas trailer for the filthy Americans, and, um...poo poo.

Watch the commentary first, then watch the trailer; you'll be that much more impressed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gonz posted:

Saw this prior to Total Recall today.

It's like They Live, but with a bigger budget and better actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZFNekcVP60

Good to see that Kyoon's crawled out of his quintuple-locked, lead-lined apartment and is now making movies with Max Von Sydow.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Zero Dark Thirty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcBjOVKKxh0

Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal dramatize the hunt for Osama bin Laden. Stars Joel Edgerton, Mark Strong, Jessica Chastain, Chris Pratt, Kyle loving Chandler, Mark Duplass (!), and quite a few others you may or may not recognize.

I'd say more but there's...really nothing to add. I'm one of the shocking few around here that thought The Hurt Locker was fantastic, and I don't really mind changing certain details for dramatic effect. I say bring it on.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kiimo posted:

That's ours. If anybody knows what has been happening with Silver Pictures you can appreciate what a...delightful experience it has been.

Actually I don't, but hey, talented hot-head producer facing the end of his career / glory days due to a cold streak he can't seem to shake? How can that possibly make for a hostile work environment? :v:

(In all seriousness these are exactly the kinds of movies I want to see from Joel Silver and you guys did a great job with that trailer.)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kiimo posted:

I will say this had a different cue and while Florence works well the other was fantastic. Sometimes you are severely limited by who says "Yes I will take your 200,000 dollars to use my precious song for thirty seconds". Oh well.

So it's basically Twilight, but it's with witchcraft, there's seemingly no creepy domestic abuse undertones, and it looks like there's an actual story to it and it's not just some lonely middle-aged goth's jill-off fantasy. Sold.

Florence doesn't seem out of place at all.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 20, 2012

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I don't think A Good Day to Die Hard is going to be, you know, good, but the trailer dropped today and...well, I like the use of "Ode to Joy" and I LOVE LOVE LOVE McClaine's one line here.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/good-day-to-die-hard/trailers/a-good-day-to-die-hard-teaser-trailer-30781677.html

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aatrek posted:

Why can't he just be a good cop having a bad day? :sigh:

Because FOX doesn't think Bruce Willis can make that interesting for some loving reason. Dude's gotta be a superhero.

But again, that loving line at the end. Not so much the content, but that sarcastic, bitter, "why does this poo poo always happen to me" delivery that could only come from John McClane. Not to mention the implication that they basically took the idea for a 24/Die Hard crossover and just changed Jack Bauer to John Jr. I mean, that kind of sucks, but it's also kind of awesome for, you know, reasons.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This trailer for Holy Motors is awesome and all but I REALLY need to know what the last song in it is (starting at 1:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWu9WjEcdbk

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 21, 2012

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

achillesforever6 posted:

I still need to see the DC of this movie, I hear it makes it 20x better than what we got. Really I don't hate KOH, but that is just because of the battle scenes in the last act are just so beautifully well done.

BlueBayou posted:

Yeah I never saw the DC, but I should. The released version so clearly had stuff cut from it. I remember leaving the theater thinking that the DC would be awesome. i should watch it, especially since Ive been reading about the crusades a lot lately

As someone who never saw the theatrical cut, I can say that the DC was an excellent film that was more about a man struggling to understand the nature of God than it was an epic action film; from what I understand it closed up a lot of plot holes in the TC as well.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Trump posted:

Too bad Orlando Bloom still plays the protagonist in the DC.

But a good thing he ended up being nicely cast!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kiimo posted:

Superman Returns did exactly what you're asking for and guess what it sucked.

To be fair, Superman Returns does have its fair share of supporters, but your point stands.

And honestly...let's look at the Batman Begins trailer again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vak9ZLfhGnQ

There's a sense here that Bruce Wayne is a broken man who has built himself up as someone entirely different. The trailer has this dark, somewhat mournful, borderline-apocalyptic vibe to it, a vibe that would only increase in later trailers throughout the trilogy.

But this trailer finds Clark Kent at a much different place: he's at the very start of his life, figuring out which man he wants to be, and although there's despaired confusion and fear coming from within and without (reflected through the muted color palette), there's also a sense of hope and discovery running through this triumphant imagery and music.

I can feel Nolan's influence, but this sure as hell isn't Superman Begins.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

kiimo posted:

I didn't work on the Superman trailer but I can say that WB post-Harry Potter, post-Dark Knight, post-Lord of the Rings (once those are done) isn't in the business of taking risks in regards to future tent-poles.

That's interesting since Pacific Rim is at least some kind of risk, being an original IP. Really hoping it wins hearts and minds, by the way.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Trump posted:

I'm way too old to be this excited to see a trailer...

You may want to go here instead: http://www.panpacificdefense.com/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is either gonna be lovely as hell or brilliant, and either way, I don't think it's gonna recoup what it took to pay all of those people.

I suspect a lot of those guys took scale since they're part of the inner circle.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

al-azad posted:

To counter the gross rear end Evil Dead trailer, does anyone know the song playing at the beginning of this trailer? I'm pretty sure it's from Drive and I've been hearing it used all over the place.

Yeah, that's "Tick of the Clock" by Chromatics. It is indeed recently known as the song from the opening sequence of Drive.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LesterGroans posted:

The Last House on the Left = good horror remakes.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yes sir. They are indeed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about Last House on the Left, though I suppose it's carried on the shoulders of Tony Goldwyn, Monica Potter, and Garrett Dillahunt.

Wait, you guys are talking about the Dennis Iliadis film, right? Not the Wes Craven one (which remade The Virgin Spring)?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Alhazred posted:

The remake loses all subtlety that original had, everything have to be super scary and shocking. A good example is the death faces. In the original the victims looks like something bad happened to them but the remake makes it so over the top that it almost becomes funny:

The left image looks like a dude making a funny face. The right image looks like someone was legitimately drained of his lifeforce in a violent way.

Hey, look what Slashfilm found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-nmf_-OnBE

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The FULL TRAILER for Shane Carruth's Upstream Color.

What a trailer.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Jefferoo posted:

Well, in hilarious news:

This is nothing for NBC. After Gabby Douglas won her gold medal in gymnastics, NBC ran this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9FR4cr6qE

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How about a more down to Earth trailer for a simpler film, then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwx1f0kyNwI

I see we've cycled back to "Die Hard in a _________" pitches.

With all due respect, they're the best hope we've got.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here is Ray Winstone and a group of British gentlemen talking poo poo and beating rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBk8At1YfRI

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Fast n Furious 6 teaser from a blurry camera: http://vk.com/video-18907487_164320192
Planes explode.

Bro Christmas is upon us once more, and tis the loving season indeed.

drat that looks good.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PriorMarcus posted:

Haha! Look at that small fry poo poo. Here, have a proper Superbowl trailer;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozG6KQftTmc

The Star Trek trailer is pretty good though.

So, um. I just now got a chance to watch this after seeing it for the Super Bowl.

They use a remix of The Prodigy's "Breathe" in this trailer.

It's barely recognizable, but at the 53 second mark, the title comes up, and there is that BAD-rear end motif from the song, as if to say "Yes, this is indeed bad-rear end."

Here's this trailer that shows tanks crushing cars, cars bringing down loving freighter planes, other various scenes of car superheroics and a bunch of people looking hot, sweaty, and/or angry and it is set to a remix of what is arguably THE gently caress-poo poo-up anthem of the 90s, one that is just as gently caress-poo poo-uppy without feeling dated.

Perfection.

This Memorial Day, we are all bros.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey have you had your fill of Pacific Rim footage yet OF COURSE NOT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Well, at least I laughed for a solid half-minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_IjM63FH2o

• Locked thread