Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

Don't believe me? Here's an ancient replay I found on google where I went up against the #2 wehr player at the time. http://forums.relicnews.com/printthread.php?t=153835
http://coh.mwaf.fi/ladder/p/Challengerli

I haven't played CoH in like 2 years, I don't even have it installed anymore.

I dont really care but uninstalling coh :( not cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Pancakes by Mail posted:

And that one time is loving hilarious and awesome.
Even better is when your teammate salvages the KT wreck for munis before you can berg it.

It seems like your problem is that there's only one KT wreck on the map.
Why not three or four? Or hell, three or four LIVE KTs!?
I am so sad that there will probably not be KTs in CoH 2.

cromanion
Aug 10, 2006
i think your two years out of the game might be influencing your view a bit, because nothing about piat penetration is remotely "lovely"

in fact, i can't remember a time when a piat didn't do penetration damage except maybe against a jagd's frontal armor

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
You all missed the true purpose of the Brits. 4v4 games at lan parties where everybody spends half an hour playing Sim City with their base/halfheartedly skirmishing until 4 Captains run into one of their bases and use Victor Target when over half of everybody's pop cap is 17 pounders.

cromanion
Aug 10, 2006
the true purpose of the brits is to park as many trucks as can fit on the ammo point in the enemy base on hochwald gap

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

cuntrageous posted:

I dont really care but uninstalling coh :( not cool.

Oh wow I'm still #43 on the American ladder.
http://coh.mwaf.fi/ladder/p/Roshan

cromanion posted:

i think your two years out of the game might be influencing your view a bit, because nothing about piat penetration is remotely "lovely"

in fact, i can't remember a time when a piat didn't do penetration damage except maybe against a jagd's frontal armor

Has there even been a patch the last two years? Most players abandoned CoH long ago.

Piats have incredibly bad penetration, at long distance they only have .45 penetration vs a panzer IV. By contrast a shrek has like .9 penetration vs a sherman and more importantly it flies much faster and tracks.

Oh and piats actually had better penetration vs the jagd than a panzer IV.

Samopsa posted:

Ladder was reset a looong time ago, those stats are not accurate.

They're a snapshot from 2007 I think.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 1, 2012

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I think there's been at least 2 patches

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Ladder was reset a looong time ago, those stats are not accurate.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
People are getting angry at the british even outside of the CoH thread. :monocle: The british are a large bag of bad habits marinated in alcohol just waiting for someone to light them on fire.

Gamesguy posted:

Has there even been a patch the last two years? Most players abandoned CoH long ago.

Piats have incredibly bad penetration, at long distance they only have .45 penetration vs a panzer IV. By contrast a shrek has like .9 penetration vs a sherman and more importantly it flies much faster and tracks.

Try a giant patch early last year, piats got told to sit the gently caress down (because they were ridiculous) while shrecks were made less accurate against moving vehicles and flat out less effective to stuarts. That's probably a war crime. Not to mention a plethora of other things, so I'm not quite sure how valid your memories are.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I played the ladder between 1.7 and 2.301(for a long time on 2.301).

Back then piats were bad vs vehicles and tanks unless the axis player was dumb enough to get them buttoned, but they were almost like grenade launchers against infantry. I remember buying piats just so I could play hedgerow games with infantry the way you could with grenades. For anti-vehicle you pretty much relied on your American ally.

From my personal experience on the 2v2 ladder dual wehr/dual US was still more powerful than any other combination.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 2, 2012

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

http://games.on.net/article/15674/I..._of_Heroes_2%5C

quote:

GON: What are the chief differences between the German and Russian armies in terms of composition and technology?

Simon Watts: The German army is very much a technology-based army. Conversely, the Russian army is more about brute force in numbers, and we’ve reflected that in the game. It wouldn’t make sense for you, as the Russians, to be going toe-to-toe with the Germans with exactly the same number of troops and exactly the same vehicles because the Russians were technologically inferior for most of the war – it was only right at the very end that they started to catch up with Germany in this respect. So you’ll definitely see large numbers of troops from a Russian perspective. There are also a few other features of the Russian army that we’ll be talking about a bit later, but again they’ll add to that sense of scale.

Yeah so KV-1s and T-34s were terrible tanks apparently. It is kinda dumb to sperg out over this stuff but pretty sure there was like a six month period max where the Germans had a vehicle tech advantage over the soviets

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

The game has changed quite a bit since then.

Also wirblewinds are awesome if used properly. Although their armor is made out of tissue paper and they don't do much damage, they are one of the few axis units that can suppress a brit blob.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Karandras posted:

Yeah so KV-1s and T-34s were terrible tanks apparently. It is kinda dumb to sperg out over this stuff but pretty sure there was like a six month period max where the Germans had a vehicle tech advantage over the soviets
You're going to have to accept that Relic doesn't know the first loving thing about World War II. The Russia we get in this game is going to be the Russia of Enemy at the Gates, not the Russia of real life. They're going to execute retreating soldiers, overwhelm their enemy with numbers rather than superior equipment, and probably make quips about vodka. Although to be fair, the second one is half right and the third one is probably accurate.

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

I hope they put in a hardcore mode or something without notifications or enemy unit icons. Like, you can now hide snipers in your ranks and they dont know it's a sniper until they're not "gee whiz I'm losing a lot of guys real fast!" or they pick out the enemy unit with a scope.

It would also be cool if they got rid of that archaic loving cloak mechanic to have concealment dense enough to hide units in them so unless the enemy commander is on the ball and not playing micromanagement simulator 2k12 you can walk units right into his face. Also get rid of "forest" that somehow blocks movement and acts like a giant wall.

Do any of the relic community reps even come here anymore or are they still suckling the easy teats at relic "map hacks dont exist" news and game "nerf the ostwind" rapelays?

Gamesguy posted:

Back then piats were bad vs vehicles and tanks unless the axis player was dumb enough to get them buttoned, but they were almost like grenade launchers against infantry. I remember buying piats just so I could play hedgerow games with infantry the way you could with grenades. For anti-vehicle you pretty much relied on your American ally.

From my personal experience on the 2v2 ladder dual wehr/dual US was still more powerful than any other combination.

2.301 was 7 patches ago mate.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Karandras posted:

Their historical disadvantage of T-34s and KV-1s were the terrible visibility these vehicles had, not really their armor and firepower. Alas, I doubt COH2 will simulate that.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Obvious thread title would've been "This halftrack smells like volksgrenadiers". I think you dropped the ball, OP. I'm eagerly awaiting the chance to play 4v4 with COH bros once again.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

cuntrageous posted:

I hope they put in a hardcore mode or something without notifications or enemy unit icons. Like, you can now hide snipers in your ranks and they dont know it's a sniper until they're not "gee whiz I'm losing a lot of guys real fast!" or they pick out the enemy unit with a scope.

It would also be cool if they got rid of that archaic loving cloak mechanic to have concealment dense enough to hide units in them so unless the enemy commander is on the ball and not playing micromanagement simulator 2k12 you can walk units right into his face. Also get rid of "forest" that somehow blocks movement and acts like a giant wall.
These sorts of things are really not the kind of changes that CoH needs. CoH is very pointedly not at all realistic. It's an RTS like Command and Conquer or Starcraft or Warcraft or Dawn of War. It just happens to be set in World War II. If you want a game like this, you're looking for something like Men of War or Close Combat or Combat Mission or any of the other more realistic RTS games. CoH is focused on entirely different goals and there's no way they could ever simultaneously balance it to be a fun RTS and a realistic RTS without turning the game into something it isn't.

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

These sorts of things are really not the kind of changes that CoH needs. CoH is very pointedly not at all realistic. It's an RTS like Command and Conquer or Starcraft or Warcraft or Dawn of War. It just happens to be set in World War II. If you want a game like this, you're looking for something like Men of War or Close Combat or Combat Mission or any of the other more realistic RTS games. CoH is focused on entirely different goals and there's no way they could ever simultaneously balance it to be a fun RTS and a realistic RTS without turning the game into something it isn't.

I dont want 'realistic' I want 'hardcore mode'. Same unit balances and target-table gameplay just with more strategic depth than 'flank cap flank cap flank cap'.

While I'm theorizing cool poo poo that would be cool in a game but will likely never happen, a whole map that is just one gigantic bombed out factory would rule.

Dont get me started on MoW. All of the best concepts executed in the most inane and tedious way possible.

Rhett
Dec 12, 2006
Sweet I used to play years ago as ThePolish and GookSlayer, hope my relic ban wont carry over from all the mom jokes made in the global chat

dartt
May 31, 2011

HUZZAH!
RockPaperShotgun have another interview up.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Karandras posted:

Despite looking great on paper and being the Soviet equivalent to the Sherman as "the tank that won the war" the T-34 actually did have some really major issues. In the T-34 the commander was also the gunner. Even with a well trained crew that meant the same guy responsible for spotting targets, coordinating with friendly armor, and maintaining some semblance of situational awareness was busy laying the gun and peering through a narrow gunsight instead. They also had comparatively poor optics and generally bad visibility which made them more vulnerable to infantry in close quarters, something the Germans were apparently great at exploiting. Poor ergonomics in the crew compartment, poor quality control with poo poo like the steel armor, comparatively low penetration to similar caliber German/US guns, and they suffered from a variety of serious mechanical issues ranging from terrible air filters (which would destroy the engine) to terribly unreliable transmissions. Soviet armor tactics and poor crew training didn't exactly help the situation either, of course.

Throughout the war the Soviets suffered around 6-8 tank losses to every one suffered by the Germans. That includes early war periods during which the Germans were using terrible poo poo like panzer II's and III's against T-34/KV-1s and the end of the war when the German army was running short on luxuries like ammunition and fuel.

The T-34 still won the war because they made 84,000 of them compared to say 9,000 Panzer IVs, 6,000 Panthers, and 1,300 Tigers.

As for the KV series, there's a reason it was discontinued and got so much criticism from the Soviet military. It was slow, horribly unreliable, really heavy, had a gun only as capable as the T-34, and didn't have particularly good armor making it vulnerable to anything past the Panzer III/early panzer IVs.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 4, 2012

Saintfuzzled
Jan 17, 2010

dartt posted:

RockPaperShotgun have another interview up.

I love how they just gloss over the EF mod.

quote:

RPS: Do you follow the modding community? There was a decent Eastern Front mod.

Duffy: Yeah, they did a great job.

Wilson: We actually fixed a bug for them in our final patch.

Not that I care too much, the EF mod has issues, CoH2 is going to be great.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's kind of hilarious because Soviet tanks were also very uncoordinated, they had to use flag signals to communicate, thusly they operated like tanks in battlefield 1942 did, following the leader around and engaging totally autonomously. It would be hilarious if you bought tanks in 3s with the Soviets but could only actually micro one of them, the other two would putter and follow around as best they can, shooting at whatever. Actually, it'd be terrible for an RTS.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Panzeh posted:

It's kind of hilarious because Soviet tanks were also very uncoordinated, they had to use flag signals to communicate, thusly they operated like tanks in battlefield 1942 did, following the leader around and engaging totally autonomously. It would be hilarious if you bought tanks in 3s with the Soviets but could only actually micro one of them, the other two would putter and follow around as best they can, shooting at whatever. Actually, it'd be terrible for an RTS.

Well, they have the AI for half-tracks from Panzer Elite, so honestly they are all set there.

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Panzeh posted:

What are you talking about that's a loving great idea!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
CoH2 gonna rule:

quote:

Though soldiers aren’t necessarily defenseless against tanks, either. Flame throwers and other special attacks can now kill the crews of certain armored vehicles, allowing the other side to capture it. Key vehicles could even become points of contention, dynamically adding important multiplayer capture points, and forcing both sides to be a bit more careful with armor.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/05/22/company-of-heroes-2-small-changes-big-differences

quote:

Another seemingly minor, but actually incredibly significant, change to Company of Heroes 2 comes in the form of units that can vault over cover. Sounds like a no-brainer, right? Soldiers do it in every movie and first-person shooter nowadays, but previously your troops had to find ways around or through (bombing a tiny fence? Hell yes.) even the shortest wall– it just became part of the strategy. But in Company of Heroes 2 your soldiers can be ordered to hop over a short wall, opening up many, many more avenues of attack, and making skirmishes feel more realistic. Seriously, anyone who's played a bit of Company of Heroes can realize that this changes everything.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Rock Paper Shotgun interview part 2.

quote:

Duffy: It was an important part of how we paced the original game. I don’t know if I mentioned it earlier but COH isn’t about actions per minute. I see our balance guys and testers clicking like crazy but it’s not about that. Part of the pacing and part of the reason we are we are were we’re at in development is that we looked at COH and were it had evolved to over time, over the patching process. It became a little faster paced and tactics like kiting were emerging that our systems weren’t designed and built around. We’re going back to what the point were the player has time to react to what’s happening.

Berger: As an example, units ended up doing more and more damage. We’ve dialled back the damage they do because what’s important isn’t the damage, It’s the suppression. You’re held in place and if you don’t do anything about it then you’ll be destroyed.

Duffy: This way we give both players chances to react and adapt. They can bring in new units, use a mortar, throw a grenade. Tactical options come out of systems like that.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sounds like they know what's good about CoH. I'm pleased to hear them talking about the importance of the suppression mechanic.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They extorted a bunch of Facebook "Like"s out of people by promising screenshots, and they got their Likes, so here are the shots:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5j0cBqhm3A

Screenshots

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Ooooooh is that an early model t-34?

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Looks like it.

(Oh god I played way too much WOT.)

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
Man I never thought this game would come. I thought they had abandoned CoH for good. I..I so happy.

Someone enlighten me. Was 2v2 considered the "real ladder" and 1v1 the unbalanced mess around automatch feature? I found it really peculiar when I switched over to SC2 (CoH was my first RTS I got good at) and everyone considered 2v2 a joke and from what I could gather over my many hours in CoH, 2v2 automatch was more respected (using that very loosely) than 1v1, but it was the oppossite in SC2.

Hurp Durp Master fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 5, 2012

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Man I never thought this game would come. I thought they had abandoned CoH for good. I..I so happy.

Someone enlighten me. Was 2v2 considered the "real ladder" and 1v1 the unbalanced mess around automatch feature? I found it really peculiar when I switched over to SC2 (CoH was my first RTS I got good at) and everyone considered 2v2 a joke and from what I could gather over my many hours in CoH, 2v2 automatch was more respected (using that very loosely) than 1v1, but it was the oppossite in SC2.

1v1 is balanced but 2v2+ are more fun. In general any size game with just USA and Wher is balance though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't think 2v2 was ever considered "the real ladder." My buddy and I beat DrHorse (#1 ranked 1v1 dude) and his friend in a 2v2 because 2v2 and up was just a joke balance wise. Dawn of War II actually tried real hard to make the team games balanced but for CoH the only hope for genuine play was 1v1 and that's what all the "pros" played (although of course nobody ever made a living playing CoH). In general in RTS games people enjoy 2v2 and up matches more because it takes the competitive pressure off of you and makes things much more laid back, but for pros that's the opposite of what they want.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

RTS e-penis mostly stems from the SC2/Blizzard style of "duels" which is basically what a 1v1 is.

Team games are of course way more fun and probably what most people play and they do get competitive if you want them to be.

SC2 high level team play is pretty lovely though and consists mostly of excessively well timed rushes and unit synergies.

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

If I hit this with an artillery shell will it sink into the ice?

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

cuntrageous posted:

If I hit this with an artillery shell will it sink into the ice?

Looks like the river isn't too wide, so I doubt it would be deep enough, it might bog it down just like deep snow is said to do.

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Well I guess my point is I hope the terrain will play a bigger factor than 'road make car go fast'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sylink posted:

Team games are of course way more fun and probably what most people play and they do get competitive if you want them to be.
Even though I'm serious business SC2 player, I do think that team games probably work better for CoH. 1v1 always felt awkward to me because of the low number of controllable units.

quote:

SC2 high level team play is pretty lovely though and consists mostly of excessively well timed rushes and unit synergies.
It could be better, but unfortunately Blizzard has shown pretty much zero effort on the mapmaking front for team games.

• Locked thread