Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This is what's giving me conniptions about buying a video card and 1440p monitor. The G-Sync tax seems way too much and I am really hesitant to pay it. But getting a 1070 with a Freesync monitor seems like a waste if adaptive sync technology is really worth it. But a RX480 would be severely underpowered for 1440p. But the G-Sync tax seems way too much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ColHannibal posted:

Which one of you Jabroni's keeps out bidding me for a 980ti on eBay? It's almost like nobody wants to sell me one for $350.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/tons-stuff-sale-980ti-1070-1080-viii-hero-mechanical-keyboards-nvme-drive-2036373/

Check here

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I bought my friend a gigabyte 1070 (the two fan windforce model) for a build I'm helping him with, and he's twiddled his thumbs for two months on the build. We're just now getting down to brass tacks, and suddenly that GPU is not for sale anywhere reputable. The listing is totally gone off NewEgg, and only secondhand sellers have it on amazon. NCIX has it price gouged for $540.

Should I be worried? Is there a reason this card got pulled in such a short time, was something wrong with it?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I bought my friend a gigabyte 1070 (the two fan windforce model) for a build I'm helping him with, and he's twiddled his thumbs for two months on the build. We're just now getting down to brass tacks, and suddenly that GPU is not for sale anywhere reputable. The listing is totally gone off NewEgg, and only secondhand sellers have it on amazon. NCIX has it price gouged for $540.

Should I be worried? Is there a reason this card got pulled in such a short time, was something wrong with it?

People bought them, I would assume?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Haquer posted:

People bought them, I would assume?

My bad, I should have been more clear: It's not a stock issue, the SKU has been pulled. If it were just out of stock, amazon and newegg would say so.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

My bad, I should have been more clear: It's not a stock issue, the SKU has been pulled. If it were just out of stock, amazon and newegg would say so.

considering you cant buy it, you dont need to worry about what happens if you buy it :)

knowing amazon it probably got its listing merged for being too similar to another

its still on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HHCA1IO/?tag=pcpapi-20

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 26, 2016

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

considering you cant buy it, you dont need to worry about what happens if you buy it :)

knowing amazon it probably got its listing merged for being too similar to another

its still on amazon

They list a much higher price than it should sell at.

I doubt there is anything particularly wrong with the card, and it has a 3 year warranty. I'm betting gigabyte cut it to close to the margin and simply wasn't making enough money on the sku compared to the pricing competitors where charging. They probably just dropped the SKU as they already had upmarket SKU's to meet demand more profitably.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

its still on amazon

The concern was that I ALREADY bought it.

EoRaptor posted:

They list a much higher price than it should sell at.

I doubt there is anything particularly wrong with the card, and it has a 3 year warranty. I'm betting gigabyte cut it to close to the margin and simply wasn't making enough money on the sku compared to the pricing competitors where charging. They probably just dropped the SKU as they already had upmarket SKU's to meet demand more profitably.

This makes total sense, I don't know why I panicked instead of considering that. Thank you!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taima posted:

In any case this is pretty much a moot point because the man claims that he will get 3 years of ultra gameplay at 1080p with a 480 which is basically ludicrous.

High settings? At 30fps?

Keep in mind I have like no expectations for frames here. I went from a 460 to 660 in 2013 because Bioshock Infinite couldn't play at Ultra without giant texture blurs where the card ran out of memory. That happened before frames ever got so low that I'd have had enough.

I'm a consoles-first guy, though I'm not buying these refreshes and will wait for a proper new gen instead. This is why I'm happy bottlenecking myself at 1080p and consider any FPS over 30 to be gravy.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Craptacular! posted:

High settings? At 30fps?

Keep in mind I have like no expectations for frames here. I went from a 460 to 660 in 2013 because Bioshock Infinite couldn't play at Ultra without giant texture blurs where the card ran out of memory. That happened before frames ever got so low that I'd have had enough.

I'm a consoles-first guy, though I'm not buying these refreshes and will wait for a proper new gen instead. This is why I'm happy bottlenecking myself at 1080p and consider any FPS over 30 to be gravy.

I wish i was blessed with your low expectations, I would save so much money

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fauxtool posted:

I wish i was blessed with your low expectations, I would save so much money

Try not having money to spend. Works for me!

I dunno. I just know I'm at the point now where the NVidia utility that chooses settings for you is choosing medium-high stuff for GTA so it's time to upgrade. Also I haven't played many PC games that aren't Dota 2 and Overwatch since 2013, so it was like for years my computer was fine and then one day the Doom beta came by and it's minimum specs knocked my socks off.

I only have a 3700K and I want a card that will run ultra stuff now and in 2018 when I buy new PC hardware I can stuff this in there. 470 8GB seems fine. The fact that the framerates will be iffy will, apparently, be smoothed out somewhat by *sync, which is fine since I need a second monitor to do streaming any justice.

The reality is that "run great detail setting for three years" doesn't meet your guys standards for framerates etc, but I have a low budget because I don't have luxury income. I have to have lower standards since I want 2-3 years of playability for no more than $250.

I still have a $489 receipt from the now extinct MonarchComputer in 2004, for a 6800GT I bought for Doom 3 (a game I hated.) I have been where you are before, but I had parents buying me stuff then, and today I have parents refusing to buy stuff as they try to force me to get a job.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 26, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

High settings? At 30fps?

Games are still playable on medium-high and freesync will make up for the dips in FPS. There isnt a huge difference between ultra and high anyway.

I have a 390x and a XR341ck. Its a struggle to stay at 75 fps at 1440 right now.

A 470 8gb with a 1080 144hz free sync costs less than my monitor which I paid $550.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 26, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

How does it play with updated drivers?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my gigabyte g1 gaming 980ti just crapped itself. It cant run for more than a minute before getting a solid green or grey screen requiring a hard reboot. If I let it sit for 20 min it will run for 2 minutes. A hour before this started to happen it was crashing to desktop with a display driver failure every game launch. I dont see any temp spikes before the crash and the heatsink is pretty dust free. That sounds like a GPU issue right?

Its still well under warranty so im not worried about a RMA. Are 980ti's still in production or is there a chance I might get a 1070 back?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 26, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Fauxtool posted:

my gigabyte g1 gaming 980ti just crapped itself. It cant run for more than a minute before getting a solid green or grey screen requiring a hard reboot. If I let it sit for 20 min it will run for 2 minutes. A hour before this started to happen it was crashing to desktop with a display driver failure every game launch. I dont see any temp spikes before the crash and the heatsink is pretty dust free. That sounds like a GPU issue right?

Its still well under warranty so im not worried about a RMA. Are 980ti's still in production or is there a chance I might get a 1070 back?

No? but they may still have some in the backroom for you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hairworks is a scorched earth tactic, where nVidia nukes everyone's performance in order to make AMD look bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

jm20 posted:

1070/1080 are in stock because we're all poors, it's the 1060/470/480 in whatever specific flavour that is hard to find.

Availability for the 1070 and 1080 was actually really poor up until at least mid-July, depending on where you live. I assume it'll be the same story for the 480 and 1060, give it another month or so.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PerrineClostermann posted:

Hairworks is a scorched earth tactic, where nVidia nukes everyone's performance in order to make AMD look bad.

I thought that was tessellation in general. Remember the concrete barriers with the FFXIV 1.0 -levels of tessellation?

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Kazinsal posted:

I'm one of the few people who cares more about high refresh rate than resolution, so I'm going to ride 1080p144 until 1440p144 IPS panels are cheap.

And then I'll probably stay at 24" because I care more about DPI than going to 27 or 30".

(My dream monitor is admittedly a 34" 3440x1440 144Hz IPS but I'm not made of money. Or engineering miracles.)

Yes! Temporal resolution.
Well 2017 will bring us 3440x1440 panels up to 200 Hz. So while the prices probably won't suit you, you can at least start saving or keep tabs on an actual product.

We'll also get 3840x2160 panels capable of 144 Hz and a selection of 1920x1080 240 Hz panels.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I've heard people can get headaches from refresh rates around 200hz I wonder if there's any truth to that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

Craptacular! posted:

I only have a 3700K and I want a card that will run ultra stuff now and in 2018 when I buy new PC hardware I can stuff this in there. 470 8GB seems fine. The fact that the framerates will be iffy will, apparently, be smoothed out somewhat by *sync, which is fine since I need a second monitor to do streaming any justice.

The reality is that "run great detail setting for three years" doesn't meet your guys standards for framerates etc, but I have a low budget because I don't have luxury income. I have to have lower standards since I want 2-3 years of playability for no more than $250.
I think the difference is 'playable' [mix of med/high] and 'ultra for 3 years' which isn't going to happen.
Even now, in 2016, the 480 is pulling under 40fps on the new Deus Ex, with dips to 30 (on ultra). The next game of it's type might push those lower, and at that point you'll want to compromise.
Most freesync monitors have a minimum FPS of ~40, so it won't help you any for dips into the 30s. LFC (low framerate compensation) might help keep tearing down, but subjectively it doesn't give anything like the same smoothness.

e: tl;dr your plan is a good one but 'ultra for 3 years' isn't on the cards

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is what's giving me conniptions about buying a video card and 1440p monitor. The G-Sync tax seems way too much and I am really hesitant to pay it. But getting a 1070 with a Freesync monitor seems like a waste if adaptive sync technology is really worth it. But a RX480 would be severely underpowered for 1440p. But the G-Sync tax seems way too much...

The XB271HU and a 1070 has made a huge difference for me. Singlelplayer or multi, doesn't matter, everything plays and looks better. My only regret is not taking it a step further with the ultra wide and the 1080 gtx.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If I game at 1080p, and don't give a poo poo about playing on ultra, will I notice a difference between the 3GB and 6GB variations of the 1060?

It's my HTPC/Steambox and I don't play games on it that don't support controllers.

I currently have a 950 in there which runs Rocket League fine but it chokes on Dark Souls 3 a lot.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

LmaoTheKid posted:

If I game at 1080p, and don't give a poo poo about playing on ultra, will I notice a difference between the 3GB and 6GB variations of the 1060?

It's my HTPC/Steambox and I don't play games on it that don't support controllers.

I currently have a 950 in there which runs Rocket League fine but it chokes on Dark Souls 3 a lot.

Dark Souls 3 won't stress either. 6Gb might offer better performance in games that need >3Gb of VRAM to shine. You can also realistically just keep texture detail one notch lower on those games for the same result.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Khablam posted:

Dark Souls 3 won't stress either. 6Gb might offer better performance in games that need >3Gb of VRAM to shine. You can also realistically just keep texture detail one notch lower on those games for the same result.

Cool. Looks like the small 3gb EVGA is my upgrade, thanks!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

LmaoTheKid posted:

As long as you keep textures and AA to normal levels no.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm sure most people here already don't use GeForce Experience game setting recommendations, but I always found it pretty useful when I had a mid range system, or at least good enough. Now that I have a better rig with a 1070 though, the recommendations are downright stupid and I have to fiddle with settings a whole lot more. It basically wants every game to do DSR for AA but then recommends that I crank a bunch of the eye candy settings down. :psyduck: Am I crazy, or would most people prefer native res, modest aa, and all the eye candy stuff maxed (or as much as their card will allow?)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Always try to play at native res IMO. More resolution is *always* better than the alternative, but DSR isn't more resolution, it's literally just supersampling AA that usually comes at an even bigger performance hit.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'd consider it over ultra in some games where ultra means gently caress optimization. Otherwise agree 100%

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

Always try to play at native res IMO. More resolution is *always* better than the alternative, but DSR isn't more resolution, it's literally just supersampling AA that usually comes at an even bigger performance hit.

A performance hit versus what?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Even dumb high settings of any other AA method. I did word that incorrectly, sorry.

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 26, 2016

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay good, that's what I thought. I mean, sure, I'd love to play ROTTR with zero graphical bells and whistles but three times my native res!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
DSR prevents you from playing in wi sowed borderless, so for me it's a thing for a real niche subset of people. As I like to pop into a browser or OBS occasionally, I will never go for it.

GeForce Experience is usually a good guideline but it does try to push you into DSR on older games.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's almost time to Step Up my 980 Ti from that sale Newegg had for $400 a couple months ago. EVGA still has hosed-up pricing for the 1070 (cheapest card is $430, only $20 cheaper than the FE) so I'm thinking seriously about getting the 1080 ACX for $620 instead. I paid $400 for the card, so I think it'll be $220 plus shipping both ways.

Still crossing my fingers that a 1080 Ti is announced in the next two weeks but I don't think it's gonna happen.

FWIW, I initiated a step up for the fire sale 980ti towards the middle of June and just got an email about 15 minutes ago saying I could either step up to the 6181 or hold out for the SC 6183 I originally requested if I want to wait. Even if you start the process now, it might be a while before you can actually step up to a 1080.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

DSR prevents you from playing in wi sowed borderless, so for me it's a thing for a real niche subset of people. As I like to pop into a browser or OBS occasionally, I will never go for it.

GeForce Experience is usually a good guideline but it does try to push you into DSR on older games.

Actually it doesn't. Once you turn on the DSR you can set your Windows Desktop res to one of the new res options and continue playing in a window, just good luck reading anything on that screen otherwise.

On the other hand, DSR does disable custom Res/Refresh settings so I cant do DSR + 90Hz on my Korean 1440P with it. :(

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was able to walk into my local best buy and pickup a 1070. They had plenty of 1080, 480 and 470 gpus too. I thought there was a shortage or is my area just lucky?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fauxtool posted:

I was able to walk into my local best buy and pickup a 1070. They had plenty of 1080, 480 and 470 gpus too. I thought there was a shortage or is my area just lucky?

Best Buy's pricing tends to be hosed, but I think in general people look for these more online than brick and mortar.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they were all at pretty standard pricing, like 40 above msrp
I can see why people would avoid

does anyone actually sell a 1070 at msrp?
Apparently I got a founders edition and didnt even know so i did pay msrp

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 26, 2016

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Anybody have any experience with the EVGA GTX 1060 SC? It's selling for about $60 (CAD) cheaper than an MSI Gaming X, but someone on SPCR got one and says the fan's bearing starts to "howl" at speeds around 1100 RPM, and some people on EVGA's forums can hear it closer to 1000 RPM. The only reviews I've found with temperatures have it around 75*C at load and "quiet" at 38 dB on the newer "0dB" BIOS, with the previous BIOS having the load noise around 5 dB louder at ~1500 RPM. If you tried to overclock it and wanted to keep temperatures low so it doesn't throttle significantly, it sounds like it might make the fan noise annoying.

I have overly sensitive hearing and I guess I'm just trying to decide if extra quiet is worth an extra $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Best Buy's pricing tends to be hosed, but I think in general people look for these more online than brick and mortar.

While this is true, can't you walk into a BB with an ad at an online store (or other B&M store) that has it cheaper without rebates or anything, and just match it?

Pretty sure they match even most official online stores (Amazon themselves, Newegg, etc) since Fry and WalMart started doing that years ago.