Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The cooler on that card is dual-slot, like all the GTX 750 cards I've seen. Someone may have made a single-slot version, or if not hopefully will soon. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket heatsink that wouldn't block an additional slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm guessing that if someone wants to run modern games (bioshock infinite, metro LL, etc) on an Oculus Rift they want an insanely powerful GPU, right? 770-780 region? I can't find anything better than forum posts for benchmarks and I have no idea what it would require.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ratbert90 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-GTX750-P...keywords=750gtx

:confused:

I have a 750gtx 2GB and it's an amazing card for the money.

That's a dual -slot card, even though it might technically only have one mounting bracket. :( however, in conjunction with the hack mentioned in the next post, it still might work. Thanks, everybody!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm guessing that if someone wants to run modern games (bioshock infinite, metro LL, etc) on an Oculus Rift they want an insanely powerful GPU, right? 770-780 region? I can't find anything better than forum posts for benchmarks and I have no idea what it would require.

Developer Kit 2 says 960x1080/eye x 75/72/60 Hz. (Effectively 1080p75)

Since you probably want the 75, you probably want the 770. You will almost certainly have to resort to SLi or a Maxwell card once decent VR solutions (min. 2Mpx/eye at 90 Hz+) happen.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok, I might just spring for a cheap OEM GT 640 with 128bit GDDR5...

Much Fast! Many FPS!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
That isn't sold by demon is it

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Developer Kit 2 says 960x1080/eye x 75/72/60 Hz. (Effectively 1080p75)

Since you probably want the 75, you probably want the 770. You will almost certainly have to resort to SLi or a Maxwell card once decent VR solutions (min. 2Mpx/eye at 90 Hz+) happen.

Yup, I just dug around on this some and there are a few recent posts in the Stereo 3D thread in Games. A Rift dev on reddit said you want a 770 at minimum, with the best answer being to likely buy the best 800 series card you can when they come out.

vvvv Lalalalala I can't hear you!

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 21, 2014

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

teh_Broseph posted:

with the best answer being to likely buy the best 800 series card you can when they come out.

Which will likely be after the consumer rift comes out unfortunately.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
:woop: finally got a good used 770 for less than a 760 (harder than I thought it'd be)

time to see how a single 770 really does

I was able to register it as well which is cool..

Edit: Heaven score was ~75% of the two 660ti's. In game performance (all settings equal atm) for 1440p is truly impressive. It's definitely in line with the Heaven score, if not a little better. There is a little psychological bump to it since it's smoother overall. When the SLI chokes you really know it. However when the 770 stutters it still stutters hard. I can't wait for SLI, should be perfect. I'm going to test 1080p for a bit just to confirm or deny what I think about a single 770 but I'm very pleased so far.

Update2:

I am fairly impressed by this card. My overclock is relatively minor (0% clock, +400 memory) although the stock values are fairly high to start (1202/7200). I thought it would suffer more with all settings max online in BF4 at 1080p but it did pretty drat good. If this card comprised my whole GPU budget I'd be entirely happy with the money spent. Only the occasional dip below 60, although disruptive, it only happened once every few minutes which is good. If I simply turned down AA I'd probably be golden.

For the same situation in 1440p (this is different from the first edit which had 2x msaa and sbao) the card really showed its limitations. While a "smoother" lower fps as expected, it was still too low for me. I'd have to turn down significant settings to get this to perform where I'd like and will definitely justify the second 770.

BF4 is pretty GPU intense, especially online, but not the most intense for sure. I still stand the idea that if someone wants to drop another $150(+ now) on a gtx 780 for a 1080p because they have the cash to burn I'm not going to steer them away right off the bat, assuming the rest of the computer is up to par. As long as the games they play are more intense than this, or if they absolutely cannot stand the occasional stutter, there is room for improvement. However after owning it for like a few hours I can definitely say this has pushed me more towards 770 recommendations overall. 89 fps average is definitely the kind of overhead I like to see to soak up most of the hits the GPU will face.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 22, 2014

Royal Hammer
Mar 26, 2014
UPDATE:
I posted a bit ago about buying used mining cards on ebay. I ended up buying a used r9 280x for $189 on ebay (granted, only used for three weeks), and it works great! Runs crysis 3 on highest settings just fine. Now is a great time to pick up mid to high end used (edit: AMD) graphics cards on ebay, thanks to the bitcoin/cryptocoin recession. I can't promise that all sellers will be as honest as the one I dealt with, but you can score some great deals.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Black Dynamite posted:

Which will likely be after the consumer rift comes out unfortunately.

On the plus side, you'll have a lot of data as to exactly how much grunt you'll need.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Dunno how true this is, but it sounds like there's big trouble in little TSMC: http://www.techpowerup.com/200061/nvidia-gm204-and-gm206-to-tape-out-in-april-products-to-launch-in-q4.html

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

I think this one does a good job summing it up,

http://techsoda.com/no-20nm-graphics-amd-nvidia/

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I wonder if that will change now that you can make graphene in a blender

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Black Dynamite posted:

That's an unfortunate picture painted by that conjecture in there.

Also this is the best post and I learned a lot from it.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Black Dynamite posted:

What I got from this is that the Red team are skipping 20nm like they did with 32nm, and Green team is praying for a miracle from TSMC at this point.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Nvidia doesn't need a miracle from 20nm?

Maxwell has already been demonstrated to be significantly better perf/watt on 28nm than Kepler is, and Kepler already didn't suck.

I'm concerned for AMD since Maxwell seems like such a significant improvement to perf/watt as compared to anything else currently available.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

I imagine Nvidia is pretty pissed. I wonder if they could jump to another fab in order to get 20nm Maxwell cards out sooner.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

tijag posted:

Nvidia doesn't need a miracle from 20nm?

Maxwell has already been demonstrated to be significantly better perf/watt on 28nm than Kepler is, and Kepler already didn't suck.

I'm concerned for AMD since Maxwell seems like such a significant improvement to perf/watt as compared to anything else currently available.

This is what I was thinking, but I didn't know if there was more going on here. I think nobody is going to complain about 28mm "maxwell" style upgrades to the current lineup if there is going to be a delay.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Black Dynamite posted:

I imagine Nvidia is pretty pissed. I wonder if they could jump to another fab in order to get 20nm Maxwell cards out sooner.

Who is capable of producing 20nm on a large scale if not TSMC?

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

beejay posted:

Who is capable of producing 20nm on a large scale if not TSMC?

Until TSMC or Global Foundries make the jump to 3D transistors there aren't going to be high performance (i.e. non cellphone/tablet) 20nm parts from AMD or nVidia. Today, only Intel has the technology and scale to deliver these parts and they aren't going to make chips for their competitors.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Intel could do 22nm for them; they have a contract foundry program.

They are already fabbing ARM chips.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Ardlen posted:

Intel could do 22nm for them; they have a contract foundry program.

They are already fabbing ARM chips.

That are attached to fpgas that cost as much as used cars.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It is... highly unlikely that Intel would fab for nvidia or AMD. I feel like nvidia should be careful what they say about TSMC. Like them or not, it's the only place they can go for fabs for the forseeable future.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

For AMD it'd be patently impossible for a bunch of reasons.

For nVidia maybe, but it'd be about as close to a deal with the devil as you could get without cloven feet and brimstone.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Would Intel be talking about renting their plants out if they hadnt already been approached? Nvidia had to have known this problem was coming down the pipeline.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well if Maxwell is going to be delayed again over this then I might just upgrade to a 770 4GB if I can get a good deal on one.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

spasticColon posted:

Well if Maxwell is going to be delayed again over this then I might just upgrade to a 770 4GB if I can get a good deal on one.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

I'm still not sold on 4gb cards, at least not now. Maybe it will matter down the road when you get a $200 4k monitor and ebay another used 4gb card

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Goddamnit, after all these years I finally have the disposable income to throw at high-end PC hardware just to get hosed over by semiconductor physics :(. I guess I need to find a new hobby to waste my money on.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Nothing wrong with what we have available now lol

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Cause the 780 and 780ti are super slow

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You have no shortage of powerful things you can buy right now, depending on how much money you want to throw at it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I am somewhat confused by anyone being bummed about this. We knew there were process issues. Turns out, they're pretty substantial process issues. If you were paying much attention to begin with, you probably weren't expecting a process shrink to do too much more than just increase power efficiency in the first place; it will take them a move to more sophisticated lithography (FinFET, in other words, or something very recognizably like it) to extract another performance increase as we're used to. They're more off-target than usual, but they're also some of the only game in town, so it's not like TSMC is about to be short two customers or anything... This is just a poo poo-happens kinda deal for all involved, and they all know that relying on an outside fab company has its drawbacks just as it has its benefits when you're not super duper mega loaded.

The products currently available are very well matched to the performance targets currently available. Looking for reasons to spend money when they don't exist is kinda silly, y'all. I mean, we've got the 280x and the 770, both of which are basically just slightly shinier versions of cards that are coming up on how many years old now? GTX 680 launched in Mar 2012, Radeon 7970 with Tahiti XT paper launched in Dec 2011 and hit merchants in January 2012. Yeah, the GTX 770 brings faster GDDR5 out the gate to address some memory bandwidth issues that original 680 users had to fiddle with potentially troublesome VRAM overclocking to overcome, but the effective TDP of the cards ends up being the same from the factories and their overclocking capabilities are the same, too, just a little more power efficient on the chip itself and via the Boost 2.0 hard/software.

Which is a very familiar story, given that Tahiti XT2 (the 7970Ghz and 280x) does pretty much the same thing, tweaking for efficiency and headroom and all that but not differentiating the cards too substantially.

Those cards are already most of the way there as far as what people need for lower resolution render targets. If you're at 1080p or 1200p you are pretty much golden with either of those, you'll have to FIND ways to make a GTX 780 or Radeon R9 290 work hard.

If there were games that were kicking these cards asses all over the place I'd understand the problem, but there aren't - the top tier cards from two years ago are still performing exceptionally well, and the more recent additions to the lineup in the form of the 780/780Ti and the R9 290/290x get you where you want to go if you're playing at higher resolutions. For extreme performance scenarios, you still have to turn stuff down, but I can't remember a time when that wasn't the case, pretty much since pushing the graphics envelope has been a thing there have been games that are intended to make you salivate for new and improved hardware to tick boxes you couldn't before or whatever - those are not things that make the game look like dogshit if you can't turn them on, they're just rewards for continuing to play the game into the future and all that cool stuff. Oh, neat, now if you have one of the top tier cards and you're running at 1200p you can turn on Ubersampling in The Witcher 2 and it'll still run at a nice framerate, take that 2011, we sure showed you! :ssj:

It's gonna be alright, everybody. If anything maybe this will give their teams some time to get the software side of things fully lined out. If we'll be stuck with multiple cards for gaming at really high resolutions or on multiple monitors because the magic card to fix that hasn't come out yet, maybe they could do something to help multi-card gaming a better experience :) Things like that, y'know? Deep breaths, it'll be ok. Our gaming performance is beyond great, and unless you have really extraordinary needs, you can probably find a currently made product that fits your exact desires perfectly.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 23, 2014

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Agreed posted:

I am somewhat confused by anyone being bummed about this. We knew there were process issues. Turns out, they're pretty substantial process issues. If you were paying much attention to begin with, you probably weren't expecting a process shrink to do too much more than just increase power efficiency in the first place; it will take them a move to more sophisticated lithography (FinFET, in other words, or something very recognizably like it) to extract another performance increase as we're used to. They're more off-target than usual, but they're also some of the only game in town, so it's not like TSMC is about to be short two customers or anything... This is just a poo poo-happens kinda deal for all involved, and they all know that relying on an outside fab company has its drawbacks just as it has its benefits when you're not super duper mega loaded.

The products currently available are very well matched to the performance targets currently available. Looking for reasons to spend money when they don't exist is kinda silly, y'all. I mean, we've go the 280x and the 770, both of which are basically just slightly shinier versions of cards that are coming up on how many years old now? GTX 680 launched in Mar 2012, Radeon 7970 with Tahiti XT paper launched in Dec 2011 and hit merchants in January 2012. Yeah, the GTX 770 brings faster GDDR5 out the gate to address some memory bandwidth issues that original 680 users had to fiddle with potentially troublesome VRAM overclocking to overcome, but the effective TDP of the cards ends up being the same from the factories and their overclocking capabilities are the same, too, just a little more power efficient on the chip itself and via the Boost 2.0 hard/software.

Which is a very familiar story, given that Tahiti XT2 (the 7970Ghz and 280x) does pretty much the same thing, tweaking for efficiency and headroom and all that but not differentiating the cards too substantially.

Those cards are already most of the way there as far as what people need for lower resolution render targets. If you're at 1080p or 1200p you are pretty much golden with either of those, you'll have to FIND ways to make a GTX 780 or Radeon R9 290 work hard.

If there were games that were kicking these cards asses all over the place I'd understand the problem, but there aren't - the top tier cards from two years ago are still performing exceptionally well, and the more recent additions to the lineup in the form of the 780/780Ti and the R9 290/290x get you where you want to go if you're playing at higher resolutions. For extreme performance scenarios, you still have to turn stuff down, but I can't remember a time when that wasn't the case, pretty much since pushing the graphics envelope has been a thing there have been games that are intended to make you salivate for new and improved hardware to tick boxes you couldn't before or whatever - those are not things that make the game look like dogshit if you can't turn them on, they're just rewards for continuing to play the game into the future and all that cool stuff. Oh, neat, now if you have one of the top tier cards and you're running at 1200p you can turn on Ubersampling in The Witcher 2 and it'll still run at a nice framerate, take that 2012, we sure showed you! :ssj:

It's gonna be alright, everybody. If anything maybe this will give their teams some time to get the software side of things fully lined out. If we'll be stuck with multiple cards for gaming at really high resolutions or on multiple monitors because the magic card to fix that hasn't come out yet, maybe they could do something to help multi-card gaming a better experience :) Things like that, y'know? Deep breaths, it'll be ok. Our gaming performance is beyond great, and unless you have really extraordinary needs, you can probably find a currently made product that fits your exact desires perfectly.

I just want Titan performance for 760 prices.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

tijag posted:

I just want to have a post finished and totally without typos before it gets quoted into permanence :mad: We don't always get what we want, it is a sad thing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm sad that even with a 780ti I still have to turn off Ubersampling in the witcher 2 at 1440p.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

tijag posted:

just be glad there will be a time when someone will literally come across this post from a Google result and laugh to themselves

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Ignoarints posted:

just be glad there will be a time when someone will literally come across this post from a Google result and laugh to themselves

Just take a gander at the first posts in this thread. Why won't they update and keep up with the times :argh:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Because it took like two months of spare time to write it in the first place, and now we're busier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
How come we have yet to bottleneck PCIe 2.0? Its spec for 16 lanes is 8 GB/s and 80 GT/s which is lower than the some of today's cards. What am I missing here?

Does the bottlenecks that NVLink is supposed to solve have anything to do with above?