Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

HalloKitty posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1056?vs=1072

The most commonly cited benchmark tool, and 290X is ahead in certain games. It's also more recommended if you have a higher res setup, as the increased memory bandwidth alone (let alone the increased VRAM) often let it pull ahead in 3840×2160

Yeah just spot checking there are definitely reference figures in there. I dont know enough off hand for 290x to see whats being compared to what. You have to read tedious specific reviews to compare these especially once there are 15% differences in clock speed between reference and aftermarket

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/02/10/msi_geforce_gtx_780_ti_gaming_3g_video_card_review/4#.VBiQlPldU0Q

vram and bandwidth favor the 290x for sure, but it only seems to matter in crossfire/sli + 4k .

The only truly directly comparable AMD vs nvidia cards I'm aware of is the 770 and 280x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

And these years on, Kepler and Tahiti still duke it out admirably at 1080p. Sigh. Graphics card tech is slowing down, too (well, driving for efficiency on nV's side, god knows what AMD is really doing but good luck, GCN 1.2 seems pretty cool).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Agreed posted:

god knows what AMD is really doing

Whatever it is, it's going to be hot: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-390x-liquid-asetek,27665.html

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I wonder what kind of relationships AMD has in place with cooling designers/manufacturers, what with their desktop processors ~more or less requiring something that performs at least as well as a modern CLC (Asetek licensed a design for the top-end FX series of processors with their 220W TDP, as I recall). And their last really badass reference cooler was the 295X cooler...

I'm all for it, personally, better stock coolers are great :) nV lost for a while, the GTX 480 was a goddamned nightmare, but their vapor chamber cooling has been killer ever since and the Titan stock cooler is a feat of air cooling engineering. AMD seemed pretty unprepared with the old adequate-for-the-previous-generation-if-only-just piece of crap and it felt like a desperation move, or even worse, directionless; like they just sort of realized "oh, poo poo, we're gonna have to cool this fucker and we spent all our money not going bankrupt shiiiiit" and tuned their power management hardware and software to match the relatively poor thermal performance of the old cooler.

Given how far CLC has come in the last three years alone. Seriously, go look, it's nuts - went from "don't buy this you :pcgaming: jackass" to "this is actually a very solid recommendation" nearly overnight thanks to major efficiency improvements. Every card maker wants to put out a product that's competitive and there are certainly worse ways to go about it than coming stock with a badass cooling solution that appeals to the aforementioned :pcgaming: jackass inside all of us.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
To be honest, after the experience I've had with my 290's (I'm currently on my 3rd and finally, after 10 months, it seems that my troubles are over) I am not sure I'd trust AMD with anything involving liquid inside my case.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ghostpilot posted:

To be honest, after the experience I've had with my 290's (I'm currently on my 3rd and finally, after 10 months, it seems that my troubles are over) I am not sure I'd trust AMD with anything involving liquid inside my case.

What problems? All 3 of mine have been perfectly fine. Plus they're unlocked.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Ghostpilot posted:

You either won the lottery of bad video cards, or maybe something like your PSU is not operating correctly.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
AMD is also rumored to be completely redoing Catalyst Control Center

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

calusari posted:

AMD is also rumored to be completely redoing Catalyst Control Center

Thank. gently caress.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rime posted:

Thank. gently caress.

Seriously. Though maybe I'm a pessimist, but I bet the first few releases of whatever they cook up will be worse than the pile we currently have.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Agreed posted:

I wonder what kind of relationships AMD has in place with cooling designers/manufacturers

Maybe they just figure they don't really need to bother spending the time and money developing and producing a kick-rear end stock cooler. Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice, but as you say, AMD itself is probably looking to pinch every penny it can, and releasing a card with a workable-but-not-great cooler is one way to do that. I mean, it's not like the 3rd party solutions were slow to come out or struggled to deal with the TDP--the Sapphire TriX I have is nearly silent until it kicks up to maxed out power because I feel the need to run 1440p with everything turned to 11.

CCC is certainly a bit long in the tooth, though. Honestly, I couldn't care much less about what they do to the interface itself, but it'd be nice if they could build drivers with the reputation for stability that NVidia has.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DrDork posted:

CCC is certainly a bit long in the tooth, though. Honestly, I couldn't care much less about what they do to the interface itself, but it'd be nice if they could build drivers with the reputation for stability that NVidia has.

Honestly, I think it's several years of marketing and not the drivers themselves, ask anyone with a Fermi card who's tried post 314 drivers. Both of the clients are sluggish (on a slow-rear end laptop drive, admitedly) and I just use Nvidia Inspector at this point.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You may be right; it's been awhile since I've really had any driver-related problems with AMD, and I think my last NVidia card was an 8600 or 8800 of some sort, because driver issues or no, AMD has generally held the best price:performance spots for a long time now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ghostpilot posted:

Thankfully you're not, you'd be trusting Asetek, who make pretty much all the closed loop liquid coolers.

DrDork posted:

it'd be nice if they could build drivers with the reputation for stability that NVidia has.

On Windows at least, I haven't had driver issues for some time, so I think it's just that - a reputation, deserved or otherwise, it sticks around because of NVIDIA loyalty, it's another thing in their mind when they spend more for a graphics card. On Linux I hear it's an entirely different matter, but I haven't bothered testing that for myself.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 17, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I think AMD still have issues with new games more often, if you don't play a lot of games at launch you'll probably not run into more issues with one's drivers over the other's.

Personally I value performance/noise higher than performance/price and if the lower power draw on the new nVidias holds true, then that's probably enough for me to pick nVidia again. I also tend to keep my cards a bit longer than most in this thread, and with a high tax on electricity I might make the difference back.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hamburger Test posted:

I think AMD NVIDIA still have issues with new games more often, if you don't play a lot of games at launch you'll probably not run into more issues with one's drivers over the other's.

Flip AMD/NVIDIA at will and you have the truth ;) It gets even worse if you're running Crossfire/SLI.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

veedubfreak posted:

What problems? All 3 of mine have been perfectly fine. Plus they're unlocked.

Rawrbomb posted:

You either won the lottery of bad video cards, or maybe something like your PSU is not operating correctly.

Oh boy, this story is a doozy. Prepare for a lot of :words:

Back in November 2013, I purchased an XFX R9 290, which I used it for a few days and kept getting black screen issues. Deciding that if I have to send it back, I may as well switch manufacturer's and go with Powercolor which, at the time, had virtually guaranteed unlocks. The card I received unlocked, but it also had the black screen issues. Though there were rumors that these issues was tied to a discrepancy in the memory quality in the reference design (Elipda vs Hynix), it was speculated that the issues could be resolved in a driver update, so I figured I would tough it out.

As the months went by, there were driver updates, some that made the issue better, others that made it substantially worse. Curiously, it didn't happen on some games (Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Hearthstone), but I digress. In the meantime, I also got a good deal on a Seasonic SS-760XP and upgraded from my Antec 550. Sadly, the issues remained (even when I returned to the stock bios).

Come July, I'm encountering black screens some half-dozen times a day - even from something as innocuous as a Youtube video. I've had enough and, on the 19th, fill out an RMA form via Powercolor's site.

By the 22nd, I've not heard received a reply. After some poking around, I found a Powercolor representative (name withheld) who's replying to negative reviews of their video cards on Newegg and elsewhere. So I shoot him an e-mail and by the next day he has an RMA number all squared away.

Carefully packing up the card (as well as its box and all of its original components just to illustrate that I'd taken care of it) and $25 bucks later, I sent it off on the 25th.

On the 28th, I received an e-mail from said representative asking for pictures of the stickers on the back of the card. I'm confused as I've already sent the card off three days earlier. Then it occurs to me that this e-mail is a reply to my initial RMA request filed through Powercolor's website on the 19th and I inform him of such.

31st: My original card has been received.

August 7th, I receive an e-mail from the representative stating that the original card is no longer in stock and if I would be willing to accept the axr9 290-tdhe as replacement. Finding virtually no information on this card, I reply:

"I looked up the AXR9 290-TDHE ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131569 ) on Newegg and the reviews from end-users seem to indicate that the card has some issues. As it is the same price, might it be possible to have the PCS+ AXR9 290 4GBD5-PPDHE ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131549 ) as a replacement as it appears to have greater reliability and thus less likely of future RMA issues?"

August 8th: "Unfortunately, that is the only card that we can offer. You card will stay carry the original two year warranty, if anything should happen, you can get a replacement. The reliability is the same as both cards, as they are the same design. Its just that people with bad experience post it."

My reply on the 8th: "Well, it's just the expense and inconvenience of sending it back; this is the second 290 I've had to return for the same issue [Newegg handled the first] and don't wish for there to be a third. May I inquire as to my options? Or if I may be able to obtain a card with Hynix brand memory that seem to be free of such black screen issues and crashes?"

At this point, I do not receive a reply for several days. On the 12th, I inquire if my earlier message had been received and was met with this response:

"The model that was offered is the option. The other one is to wait until your original model come back in stock."

It should be stated that the original card, the Powercolor AXR9 290 4GBD5-MDH/OC, is no longer in production and thus would never come back into stock (http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_discontinued.asp).

So in reality, I was curtly given the illusion of a choice. With no other alternative, I accept the offered AXR9 290-TDHE. Soon thereafter, I receive a curiously lengthy Fed-Ex tracking number that indicates that the card is due to arrive on the 19th.

On the 19th of August, a month to the day I began the RMA process, I discovered that the card is still in another state.

Wondering if this a mistake, I called Fed-Ex and give the tracking number I had received. The Fed-Ex representative is perplexed, stating that it was not a tracking number and to look for a certain sequence of numbers. Turned out that the tracking number was actually within the seemingly random mass of numbers I had received from the Powercolor representative.

Via the Fed-Ex representative, I learned that Powercolor had sent them the shipping information a day before actually sending the physical package.

As a result, the information they were given was a day off, and the package wouldn't actually be arriving until the 20th. Which meant that I'd rearranged my schedule for nothing.

August 20th: The package finally arrives. Uninstalling the backup video card I was using, I installed the AXR9 290-TDHE with the latest drivers. I opened a Youtube link and am immediately met with:

http://i.imgur.com/xO5No7b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fptsLvE.jpg

That was soon followed by the familiar black screen crash. After the cost of shipping and the month-long RMA process, I was back where I started.

I sent an e-mail with the images above and in reply:

"If both cards are causing you crashing issue, there is most likely something wrong with your system. Both your card and the one that was shipped out was tested fine in our system. Please try to update your motherboard bios to the latest version and make sure that there is nothing wrong with your motherboard or psu."

It's worth noting that in the intervening weeks of the RMA process, I ran my old EVGA GTX 260 and my system was free of issues for the first time since purchasing a R9 290.

In fact, my system had been rock solid as long as the r9 290 was taken out of it. My motherboard is an Asus P8P67 Pro (http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Asus/Asus_P8P67_PRO_/229) with the latest bios, and PSU is a Seasonic SS-760XP (http://www.pc-specs.com/psu/Seasonic/Seasonic_SS-760XP_760W/1707) both of which are listed as compatible with a r9 290.

As a precaution, I ran several passes of MemTest86+ and ran extensive tests on my Intel i5-2500k processor, both passed flawlessly.

Furthermore, I reinstalled Windows 7 twice. I also ran the AXR9 290-TDHE in a separate system and produced the black screen crashes that had been present on my system. There are simply too many customers with varying configurations experiencing the same issue for the r9 290 to not be the cause.

The closest I came to stability was by using r9 290 drivers from April and by using third-party software to underclock the card's GPU from 975 to 900 Mhz and the memory from 1250 to 1100 Mhz. Even under these circumstances, the card will produce the occasional black screen crash during a game or maximized Youtube or streamed video. I later downclocked the card further to 800 / 1000 (80% of stock values), where it finally became stable.

At that point, I'm at a loss on what to do. It seems that the only real alternative I had was to pass the card off on Craigslist and hope to recoup at least some of what I spent on it. But I didn't want to pass the issues onto somebody else: I just wanted a card that worked. So on a friend's advice, I decided to post my experiences on Powercolor's Facebook page and e-mail their Public Relations representative.

The next day I get an e-mail from their PR rep who seems sincere and offers to see what he can do. Later that day, I receive a stock response from the original Tech / RMA representative asking me to perform steps that I've already indicated that I've done on my post / e-mail. Tired of dealing with the RMA manager at this point, I inform the PR rep of the response for which he apologizes and asks for me to keep him in the loop in my dealings with the RMA manager (apparently this isn't an isolated incident).

The RMA manager then asks for pictures of the stickers on the back of my card for a potential bios update. :what: This is a card that he sent as replacement for my original issue. So not only did he not know what was sent to me, it also suggested that, despite his assertions to the contrary, cards that came from them now didn't ship with the updated bios.

Anyway, I send him the pictures and he sends me a file "2129.zi_" with no instructions. Now, despite the file extension, I know that it is a zip file and I know how to flash a bios. If I didn't know these things, I'd be up a creek. So for sake of being thorough for the PR guy's benefit, I ask what it is and what to do with it. He links me to ATI Winflash on TechPowerUp and supplies incorrect instructions. :sigh: Though I suppose it's a step up from what he did to another guy:

So I contacted [blank] after my previous review and after a bit of back and fourth, he forwarded me a copy of the new bios, but unfortunately I never had to do this procedure before so I was out of my depth. So I asked him for instructions to which he sent me a link to some forum post from 2010 with a big great sign at the top of it that said "DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK".

As you can imagine, I was not exactly thrilled at the prospect of bricking the card, so Initially I said no, and asked him if there was another way. He replied that I can ship them the card in California (I am in New York), and they will send me a new one. But I would have to pay for shipping out of pocket and the whole process can take up to two weeks. Not a fun idea either.

So I figured I have nothing to lose as the card is not working properly anyway, so I did some more research, got an empty USB drive, made a boot disk from it and flashed the card BIOS from there
    (by the way if you do this, MAKE SURE you are tying in the correct commands into the command prompt once you boot to dos).

Anyway, I update the bios and finally, 7 weeks from the date I started the RMA process, my card works. :toot:

Then I noticed the date of the updated bios file: 6/04/2014. :wtc: They've had this since June? This all could've been solved months ago in the time it takes to make a cup of coffee? As you can probably imagine, I was absolutely fuming over this revelation.

"Out of curiosity, I noticed that the date on the updated bios was from June 4th. It seems all of this could have been avoided had the bios been offered sooner or if it had been present on the replacement card that was shipped to me."

"Glad that its working for you. Not all users crash without the bios update, we do not provide it unless necessary."

This is backwards logic: like replacing a car when the issue is the battery. Apparently this bios is more valuable than the cost of replacing video cards. :shrug: They also don't host bios updates on their site, so there is no way for you to know that it even exists unless you happen across the information elsewhere.

TL:DR: Seven weeks dealing with the Powercolor RMA manager and a new card later, the issue is fixed when he finally sends a bios update he had the entire time.

So yeah, that's been my experience. The card has been perfectly fine since, but never again.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 17, 2014

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Holy poo poo, I will definitely not be buying anything PowerColor. Do you think if they had given you the BIOS update earlier (i.e. when you sent the original one away) you would have been happier?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Guni posted:

Holy poo poo, I will definitely not be buying anything PowerColor. Do you think if they had given you the BIOS update earlier (i.e. when you sent the original one away) you would have been happier?

Oh, most definitely. The initial black screen issues were the fault of variance in the reference design (something a program like Nvidia's Greenlight would've caught), so that particular issue was with AMD. However, everything that occurred from when I started the RMA process was all Powercolor - he could've solved the issue in a single e-mail.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

HalloKitty posted:

Thankfully you're not, you'd be trusting Asetek, who make pretty much all the closed loop liquid coolers.

On Windows at least, I haven't had driver issues for some time, so I think it's just that - a reputation, deserved or otherwise, it sticks around because of NVIDIA loyalty, it's another thing in their mind when they spend more for a graphics card. On Linux I hear it's an entirely different matter, but I haven't bothered testing that for myself.

I had a ton of problems with my 5970 as recently as 2012 - Dishonoured was the last major game I bought when I owned that Card and it was literally unplayable - crash to desktop as soon as you try to start a game unplayable - for a good week after launch.

I do keep hearing that the current generation is much improved but I had enough dramas that my two most recent purchases have been Nvidia. In two or three years time when I upgrade again I'd at least consider them, but I'd still probably go for Nvidia unless there was a massive performance edge to be had going with AMD. When I bought my 5970 it was the single most powerful card available, and that generation of cards was beating the crap out of Nvidia. It helps that I don't particularly care about value for money - the 780ti was the single most powerful card when I bought my current PC and so the decision to buy it was fairly easy.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

TL:DR: Seven weeks dealing with the Powercolor RMA manager and a new card later, the issue is fixed when he finally sends a bios update he had the entire time.

So yeah, that's been my experience. The card has been perfectly fine since, but never again.

Wow. All that poo poo for a simple firmware update.

Why don't they just host the bloody file, say use it at your own risk, and say that it might fix the common black screen problem. That way, their rear end is covered, but you grab the file and fix the problem.

I'm a big fan of just fixing the problem instead of wasting time shipping and shipping.

That's a terrible experience, made far more arduous than it needed to be.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Oh boy, this story is a doozy. Prepare for a lot of :words:

Back in November 2013, I purchased an XFX R9 290, which I used it for a few days and kept getting black screen issues. Deciding that if I have to send it back, I may as well switch manufacturer's and go with Powercolor which, at the time, had virtually guaranteed unlocks. The card I received unlocked, but it also had the black screen issues. Though there were rumors that these issues was tied to a discrepancy in the memory quality in the reference design (Elipda vs Hynix), it was speculated that the issues could be resolved in a driver update, so I figured I would tough it out.

As the months went by, there were driver updates, some that made the issue better, others that made it substantially worse. Curiously, it didn't happen on some games (Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Hearthstone), but I digress. In the meantime, I also got a good deal on a Seasonic SS-760XP and upgraded from my Antec 550. Sadly, the issues remained (even when I returned to the stock bios).

Come July, I'm encountering black screens some half-dozen times a day - even from something as innocuous as a Youtube video. I've had enough and, on the 19th, fill out an RMA form via Powercolor's site.

By the 22nd, I've not heard received a reply. After some poking around, I found a Powercolor representative (name withheld) who's replying to negative reviews of their video cards on Newegg and elsewhere. So I shoot him an e-mail and by the next day he has an RMA number all squared away.

Carefully packing up the card (as well as its box and all of its original components just to illustrate that I'd taken care of it) and $25 bucks later, I sent it off on the 25th.

On the 28th, I received an e-mail from said representative asking for pictures of the stickers on the back of the card. I'm confused as I've already sent the card off three days earlier. Then it occurs to me that this e-mail is a reply to my initial RMA request filed through Powercolor's website on the 19th and I inform him of such.

31st: My original card has been received.

August 7th, I receive an e-mail from the representative stating that the original card is no longer in stock and if I would be willing to accept the axr9 290-tdhe as replacement. Finding virtually no information on this card, I reply:

"I looked up the AXR9 290-TDHE ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131569 ) on Newegg and the reviews from end-users seem to indicate that the card has some issues. As it is the same price, might it be possible to have the PCS+ AXR9 290 4GBD5-PPDHE ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131549 ) as a replacement as it appears to have greater reliability and thus less likely of future RMA issues?"

August 8th: "Unfortunately, that is the only card that we can offer. You card will stay carry the original two year warranty, if anything should happen, you can get a replacement. The reliability is the same as both cards, as they are the same design. Its just that people with bad experience post it."

My reply on the 8th: "Well, it's just the expense and inconvenience of sending it back; this is the second 290 I've had to return for the same issue [Newegg handled the first] and don't wish for there to be a third. May I inquire as to my options? Or if I may be able to obtain a card with Hynix brand memory that seem to be free of such black screen issues and crashes?"

At this point, I do not receive a reply for several days. On the 12th, I inquire if my earlier message had been received and was met with this response:

"The model that was offered is the option. The other one is to wait until your original model come back in stock."

It should be stated that the original card, the Powercolor AXR9 290 4GBD5-MDH/OC, is no longer in production and thus would never come back into stock (http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_discontinued.asp).

So in reality, I was curtly given the illusion of a choice. With no other alternative, I accept the offered AXR9 290-TDHE. Soon thereafter, I receive a curiously lengthy Fed-Ex tracking number that indicates that the card is due to arrive on the 19th.

On the 19th of August, a month to the day I began the RMA process, I discovered that the card is still in another state.

Wondering if this a mistake, I called Fed-Ex and give the tracking number I had received. The Fed-Ex representative is perplexed, stating that it was not a tracking number and to look for a certain sequence of numbers. Turned out that the tracking number was actually within the seemingly random mass of numbers I had received from the Powercolor representative.

Via the Fed-Ex representative, I learned that Powercolor had sent them the shipping information a day before actually sending the physical package.

As a result, the information they were given was a day off, and the package wouldn't actually be arriving until the 20th. Which meant that I'd rearranged my schedule for nothing.

August 20th: The package finally arrives. Uninstalling the backup video card I was using, I installed the AXR9 290-TDHE with the latest drivers. I opened a Youtube link and am immediately met with:

http://i.imgur.com/xO5No7b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fptsLvE.jpg

That was soon followed by the familiar black screen crash. After the cost of shipping and the month-long RMA process, I was back where I started.

I sent an e-mail with the images above and in reply:

"If both cards are causing you crashing issue, there is most likely something wrong with your system. Both your card and the one that was shipped out was tested fine in our system. Please try to update your motherboard bios to the latest version and make sure that there is nothing wrong with your motherboard or psu."

It's worth noting that in the intervening weeks of the RMA process, I ran my old EVGA GTX 260 and my system was free of issues for the first time since purchasing a R9 290.

In fact, my system had been rock solid as long as the r9 290 was taken out of it. My motherboard is an Asus P8P67 Pro (http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Asus/Asus_P8P67_PRO_/229) with the latest bios, and PSU is a Seasonic SS-760XP (http://www.pc-specs.com/psu/Seasonic/Seasonic_SS-760XP_760W/1707) both of which are listed as compatible with a r9 290.

As a precaution, I ran several passes of MemTest86+ and ran extensive tests on my Intel i5-2500k processor, both passed flawlessly.

Furthermore, I reinstalled Windows 7 twice. I also ran the AXR9 290-TDHE in a separate system and produced the black screen crashes that had been present on my system. There are simply too many customers with varying configurations experiencing the same issue for the r9 290 to not be the cause.

The closest I came to stability was by using r9 290 drivers from April and by using third-party software to underclock the card's GPU from 975 to 900 Mhz and the memory from 1250 to 1100 Mhz. Even under these circumstances, the card will produce the occasional black screen crash during a game or maximized Youtube or streamed video. I later downclocked the card further to 800 / 1000 (80% of stock values), where it finally became stable.

At that point, I'm at a loss on what to do. It seems that the only real alternative I had was to pass the card off on Craigslist and hope to recoup at least some of what I spent on it. But I didn't want to pass the issues onto somebody else: I just wanted a card that worked. So on a friend's advice, I decided to post my experiences on Powercolor's Facebook page and e-mail their Public Relations representative.

The next day I get an e-mail from their PR rep who seems sincere and offers to see what he can do. Later that day, I receive a stock response from the original Tech / RMA representative asking me to perform steps that I've already indicated that I've done on my post / e-mail. Tired of dealing with the RMA manager at this point, I inform the PR rep of the response for which he apologizes and asks for me to keep him in the loop in my dealings with the RMA manager (apparently this isn't an isolated incident).

The RMA manager then asks for pictures of the stickers on the back of my card for a potential bios update. :what: This is a card that he sent as replacement for my original issue. So not only did he not know what was sent to me, it also suggested that, despite his assertions to the contrary, cards that came from them now didn't ship with the updated bios.

Anyway, I send him the pictures and he sends me a file "2129.zi_" with no instructions. Now, despite the file extension, I know that it is a zip file and I know how to flash a bios. If I didn't know these things, I'd be up a creek. So for sake of being thorough for the PR guy's benefit, I ask what it is and what to do with it. He links me to ATI Winflash on TechPowerUp and supplies incorrect instructions. :sigh: Though I suppose it's a step up from what he did to another guy:

So I contacted [blank] after my previous review and after a bit of back and fourth, he forwarded me a copy of the new bios, but unfortunately I never had to do this procedure before so I was out of my depth. So I asked him for instructions to which he sent me a link to some forum post from 2010 with a big great sign at the top of it that said "DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK".

As you can imagine, I was not exactly thrilled at the prospect of bricking the card, so Initially I said no, and asked him if there was another way. He replied that I can ship them the card in California (I am in New York), and they will send me a new one. But I would have to pay for shipping out of pocket and the whole process can take up to two weeks. Not a fun idea either.

So I figured I have nothing to lose as the card is not working properly anyway, so I did some more research, got an empty USB drive, made a boot disk from it and flashed the card BIOS from there
    (by the way if you do this, MAKE SURE you are tying in the correct commands into the command prompt once you boot to dos).

Anyway, I update the bios and finally, 7 weeks from the date I started the RMA process, my card works. :toot:

Then I noticed the date of the updated bios file: 6/04/2014. :wtc: They've had this since June? This all could've been solved months ago in the time it takes to make a cup of coffee? As you can probably imagine, I was absolutely fuming over this revelation.

"Out of curiosity, I noticed that the date on the updated bios was from June 4th. It seems all of this could have been avoided had the bios been offered sooner or if it had been present on the replacement card that was shipped to me."

"Glad that its working for you. Not all users crash without the bios update, we do not provide it unless necessary."

This is backwards logic: like replacing a car when the issue is the battery. Apparently this bios is more valuable than the cost of replacing video cards. :shrug: They also don't host bios updates on their site, so there is no way for you to know that it even exists unless you happen across the information elsewhere.

The way you guys are forced to deal with stuff like that in America will never cease to be hysterical to me. This is how it works here:

1. My 5970 dies after 2 years.

2. I drive 10 mins down the road to the store I bought it from, and get a refund for the 800 dollars I spent on it.

3. I buy a GTX680 for 500 dollars.

Total downtime without a graphics card: roughly 2 hours. End up with a better graphics card and a spare 300 dollars.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I hope you've shared that BIOS file somewhere so that others can have a solution to their blackscreening issues too.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

The way you guys are forced to deal with stuff like that in America will never cease to be hysterical to me. This is how it works here:

1. My 5970 dies after 2 years.

2. I drive 10 mins down the road to the store I bought it from, and get a refund for the 800 dollars I spent on it.

3. I buy a GTX680 for 500 dollars.

Total downtime without a graphics card: roughly 2 hours. End up with a better graphics card and a spare 300 dollars.

You also have the highest minimum wage in the world, and beautiful sunny beaches with barbeques and beer everywhere (or so I have in my mind).

Downsides: everything that crawls wants to kill you, and I hear the internet connections are terrible.

Still, that's some fantastic consumer protection. The rest of the world should learn from this.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Stanley Pain posted:

Flip AMD/NVIDIA at will and you have the truth ;) It gets even worse if you're running Crossfire/SLI.

Anecdotal of course, but I remember more high profile releases that had problems on AMD than nVidia. Without going into the slap fights that arose over them or the quality of the games themselves, RAGE and Watch Dogs come to mind with nVidia coming out ahead, and I can't come up with anything clearly favoring AMD.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

You also have the highest minimum wage in the world, and beautiful sunny beaches with barbeques and beer everywhere (or so I have in my mind).

Downsides: everything that crawls wants to kill you, and I hear the internet connections are terrible.

Well this is about 3 hours away:

Beaches suck though. Do you see anywhere to plug in a gaming rig in that photo?

We were all set to have fibre to the home for 90% of the population, but the new government decided it was too expensive and has changed it to a fibre to the node network for nearly as much money and far greater ongoing maintenance costs. My place already got done though, so I get 30/1 speeds for $34 a month with a 300gb cap.

HalloKitty posted:

Still, that's some fantastic consumer protection. The rest of the world should learn from this.

The organization responsible for policing our consumer rights is currently taking Valve to court because steam claims that people aren't entitled to refunds:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/08/the-accc-is-suing-valve/
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/08/accc-commissioner-heres-why-were-suing-valve/

The ACC is highly militant and it loves making examples of big companies.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 17, 2014

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shame the new PM is a oval office who is trying to make Australia as backwards as possible (like removing the climate change commission and changing the name of every government department/anything with climate change in the name). Also if you didn't luck out with FTTH internet really is bollocks. Like $150 a month with home phone for 12 down .8 up and a 200GB cap.

Back onto topic, my week old MSI 780ti Gaming has a failing fan (super loud whinny bearing noise above 50% speed). Amazon is paying return shipping and giving me a full refund though, it is almost like an Aussie shop :toot:

Beck
Dec 8, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

Oh, most definitely. The initial black screen issues were the fault of variance in the reference design (something a program like Nvidia's Greenlight would've caught), so that particular issue was with AMD. However, everything that occurred from when I started the RMA process was all Powercolor - he could've solved the issue in a single e-mail.

My experience with AMD 6000 series and a particularly lovely manufacturer, similar to yours, is exactly why I paid for less performance per dollars this cycle and went Nvidia. I don't like digging through manufacturer specific reviews to see who is the least scummy and lovely. I just want a card that works, and I'm willing to pay a bit more for it.

I really hope AMD copies nvidia and starts actually enforcing some sort of standard. I sometimes regret getting maybe $20-30 less performance value, but then reading stories like yours reminds me why I said gently caress it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My next card will be nVidia solely because of Greenlight

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Shame the new PM is a oval office who is trying to make Australia as backwards as possible (like removing the climate change commission and changing the name of every government department/anything with climate change in the name).

This is putting it mildly. Not to mention: forcing the unemployed to do slave labour alongside criminals, unemployed people under 30 getting to starve for 6 months before receiving benefits, letting universities charge whatever they want and making people pay $7 to see a doctor; not that most of those have a chance in hell of getting through.

BurritoJustice posted:

Back onto topic, my week old MSI 780ti Gaming has a failing fan (super loud whinny bearing noise above 50% speed). Amazon is paying return shipping and giving me a full refund though, it is almost like an Aussie shop :toot:

Well they have an obligation to comply with our Consumer protection act when they sell to Australian customers. It's good to see them doing the right thing; I understand they have a pretty good reputation for that sort of thing.

I'm still not sure I'd want to buy PC stuff from amazon even if it is cheaper - having to wait without a computer for weeks at a time whilst stuff gets shipped back and forth in the event of an issue sounds like a giant pain the arse, I'd rather pay more knowing I can pop down to the store 10 mins away if I have an issue.

I love amazon for cheaper books/dvds/cds though, and I maintain multiple DVD/bluray drives for my PC with different region settings for that purpose.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

This is putting it mildly. Not to mention: forcing the unemployed to do slave labour alongside criminals, unemployed people under 30 getting to starve for 6 months before receiving benefits, letting universities charge whatever they want and making people pay $7 to see a doctor; not that most of those have a chance in hell of getting through.

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Who voted for this utter bell-end?

Edit: sorry, probably shouldn't derail the thread into something about Australian politics

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Well they have an obligation to comply with our Consumer protection act when they sell to Australian customers.

This is really good to know, I always thought losing the ACL was one of the tradeoffs for Amazon's cheap pricing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Who voted for this utter bell-end?

Edit: sorry, probably shouldn't derail the thread into something about Australian politics

You should read the Auspol thread in D&D sometime, it's quite the clusterfuck. the TLDR version is: Most of our media is owned by Rupert Murdoch. They spent years printing outright lies to slander what was, objectively speaking, one of the most successful and productive governments in Australian history to the point where the public believed they were utterly incompetent, and that there was a debt crisis (when our debt situation was one of the best in the developed world) and that brown people in boats were going to flock to the country in their millions and overthrow our way of life if we didn't start imprisoning refugee families indefinitely in offshore concentrations camps in appalling conditions (though this last bit pretty much has bipartisan support,a key election issue was both sides trying to one up each other to see who could announce the cruelest possible policies against refugees who try to arrive by boat).

Then all that other poo poo was foisted on people by surprise in the first budget (alongside massive cuts to anything that could potentially benefit poor people but not the wealthy), because apparently we're poor now, but we still have a ton of money to fund one of our highest ranking generals to lead a massive military taskforce to defend our country from refugees in fishing boats, pay women earning up to 150k a year their full salary for 6 months when they decide to take maternity leave, and set up an inquiry headed by a well known climate sceptic to determine what we should do about climate change (hint: Our government basically doesn't believe it's real). Oh and lets continue to fund a school chaplaincy program, but we'll remove the clause that allows schools to hire secular, legitimate councillors instead of religious volunteers.

Anyhow, I agree, end of derail.

Back on topic (more or less):

BurritoJustice posted:

This is really good to know, I always thought losing the ACL was one of the tradeoffs for Amazon's cheap pricing.

The valve thing is the first time the ACC has attempted to act against a company that doesn't have an actual physical presence in Australia - Everyone will be watching with baited breath. It will have major implications for someone who decides to do what you did and buy a GPU from Amazon, or newegg which I believe has also started selling computer stuff to us.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 17, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

I am throwing another anecdotal reverse-that again in the pot. The only problems I've ever with nvidia was watchdogs... but I write that off now. Man I wish I kept track of the AMD driver problems I've had, especially with new releases. Most recently was BF4 which is when I made the switch (again a game with a rocky start but its just the last issue I had). The last thing I crossfired was 6790's I believe. Old now, but holy poo poo what a clusterfuck. I've never heard anybody who has ever used both crossfire and SLI actually say that crossfire was better. At best it was comparable, especially with r9 290s +, at worst it was unusable garbage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

1gnoirents posted:

I've never heard anybody who has ever used both crossfire and SLI actually say that crossfire was better. At best it was comparable, especially with r9 290s +, at worst it was unusable garbage.

Early SLI was complete dogshit. A close friend of mine has only had 1 experience with each, and SLI 6800 GTs was a complete nightmare while Crossfire 4850s worked really well.

My anecdotal experience is that AMD frequently has hosed drivers that produce bad performance, missing textures, and bizarre behavior, while Nvidia frequently has hosed drivers that bring the entire loving system to a halt, especially early Vista drivers in 2007: http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/nvidia-drivers-responsible-for-nearly-30-of-vista-crashes-in-20/

Both of them are a clusterfuck and I've always bought pure performance / $.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

I am throwing another anecdotal reverse-that again in the pot. The only problems I've ever with nvidia was watchdogs... but I write that off now. Man I wish I kept track of the AMD driver problems I've had, especially with new releases. Most recently was BF4 which is when I made the switch (again a game with a rocky start but its just the last issue I had). The last thing I crossfired was 6790's I believe. Old now, but holy poo poo what a clusterfuck. I've never heard anybody who has ever used both crossfire and SLI actually say that crossfire was better. At best it was comparable, especially with r9 290s +, at worst it was unusable garbage.

Watchdogs certainly doesn't count, that game was a plain simple clusterfuck. I had QuadSLi 9800GX2s, and the only issue was WoW, where I needed to disable one of the cards. My 5970 was only two GPUs on a single card and I had no end of issues.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

True I never used early SLI.

Ironically I just loaded 10 laptops and 3 had AMD drivers and just failed literally a minute ago. Which happens all the time. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to uninstall the drivers. If I'm unlucky that won't work with some incredibly obnoxious message like "Uninstall Failed". If I am able to uninstall, then I'll roll the dice and see if AMD drivers detect the card exists at all. If they don't, which is more often than not in these cases, I've never found a workaround for that and will have to load vanilla and rebuild the whole loving thing. Out of the thousands of computers I've had to simply image at this point guess which two other brands never have these kinds of problems.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

Out of the thousands of computers I've had to simply image at this point guess which two other brands never have these kinds of problems.

Ooh, Oooh I know this one! Is it Nvidia and intel?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

Ooh, Oooh I know this one! Is it Nvidia and intel?

Lol you win. I just put in a bootable usb stick, my only one here somehow, and the usb port was damaged and shorted causing pops and turned off the computer and destroyed the usb drive. Good day so far :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

This bit of Rich Geldreich's rant from a few months ago bears repeating:

quote:

AMD can't update its driver without breaking something. They will send you updates or hotfixes that fix one thing but break two other things. If you single step into one of this driver's entrypoints you'll notice layers upon layers of cruft tacked on over the years by devs who are no longer at the company. Nobody remaining at AMD understands these barnacle-like software layers enough to safely change them.

This could be a temporary development, but AMD's driver seems to be on a downward trend on the reliability axis. (Yes, it can get worse!)

On that note, it looks like Valve has started publicly tracking issues with AMD's Linux drivers. Maybe it will publicly shame them into fixing those little issues like certain titles showing only a black screen or crashing on startup.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 17, 2014