Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
What are you using to test your VRAM? The folding@home client?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DaNzA posted:

What are you using to test your VRAM? The folding@home client?

memtestg80, so yes.

The first 11 runs or so were fine, but around there the errors started building on each other.

Regardless, even if the test is wrong, I've got one of two of my old 560/448s in as a stopgap, and I'm able to multi-window games just fine (if choppily) which was causing the driver crashes. That alone tells me something's hosed with the 970.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 18, 2014

Eddain
May 6, 2007
A third party merchant on Amazon has the MSI GTX 980 Gaming in stock. They kinda have a poor reputation online due to their poor custom laptop service though. Don't know if that extends to the rest of their business.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Eddain posted:

A third party merchant on Amazon has the MSI GTX 980 Gaming in stock. They kinda have a poor reputation online due to their poor custom laptop service though. Don't know if that extends to the rest of their business.

I bought a Dell 2412M from a third-party seller in December 2011. Dell just wanted proof I'd bought it in December, since they sold it to the third-party in August. So if anything, when you buy something from a third-party, even though it's pretty safe to assume in the case of a GTX 980 they acquired it mid-September at the earliest, to keep a copy of your invoice so you can prove you're covered beyond what their records show.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 18, 2014

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
I'm switching topic slightly to tablets/netbooks. I've had two netbooks before, original Eeepc701 with Intel GMA900 and Eeepc 1015BX, which had AMD HD6290. AMD GPU was a powerhouse when compared to the Intel, but single-thread perfomance of the CPU was at the same level. I got fed up with the sluggishness of the AMD machine and as there was there was no other viable alternative in 10.1" form than to get Intel Atom -based laptop, I went with Asus Transformer T100 refresh with Atom Z3775 SoC.

The GPU performance isn't bad at all. Granted I'm comparing older model/process, but still, the Atom can run Crysis. Not smoothly and only with some extra details, but still. Crysis wouldn't even start on the AMD netbook(too little memory).

Only game where Intel loses to AMD is original Deus Ex with DX10 renderer & New vision, the AMD GPU has twice the ROPs and TMUs and the resolution is higher in the new laptop. Spintires is a close call but Intel is faster considering resolution differences. The Intel GPU is a chopped version of Ivy Bridge GPU with only 4 EUs and runs between 300-800 MHz on this model.

What I'm trying to say that fanless tablet hardware can run Crysis barely. I haven't played much on the desktop lately, I'm just testing what games this tablet/laptop can run.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I just ran a VRAM test on my MSI that's been having driver crash issues.

I stopped counting at something around 55,000 memory errors.

Are you using MemTestG80? I don't think that program works entirely correctly for GTX 970s. It reported over 100,000 errors on mine, even though I've had no issues with it (apart from GPU-Z causing crashes for not stopping the display driver before dumping the BIOS).

MemTestCL reported 0 errors, so.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Instant Grat posted:

Are you using MemTestG80? I don't think that program works entirely correctly for GTX 970s. It reported over 100,000 errors on mine, even though I've had no issues with it (apart from GPU-Z causing crashes for not stopping the display driver before dumping the BIOS).

MemTestCL reported 0 errors, so.

Well, like I said - the errors I was having (OpenGL Type 3 crashes, kernel driver stops) have disappeared entirely with my old 560/448 plugged in instead of the 970, with everything else the same (even the same PCIe slot) - I didn't even uninstall the drivers, though I intend on clean-installing when I get the new 970. So *something* is wrong with the card, if not the memory.

I ran DRAM diagnostics as well as the Intel CPU diagnostics to rule them out, even though I never expected either of issues.

I also don't remember having issues with my eVGA 970 (which I returned) that I have with my MSI.

That being said, never jinx yourself:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Watch, I'll get a bad MSI card. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 18, 2014

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
So is there any indication on if the coil whine complaints are due to faulty 1st batches or something? I'm holding off buying from any of the manufacturers at the moment because I keep reading people having to RMA cards due to it.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Goddamn, R9 290s down to $250 after rebate. Almost makes me want to try three of them, my motherboard is starting to act up anyway... I know crossfire doesn't often scale well past 2 cards but I do recall it making a huge improvement in microstuttering, then again that was before the frame pacing fixes from both AMD and nvidia.

edit: to be clear, I already have two which have seen shamefully little use in the past year. at least I got some of the very first ones and didn't have to wait until miners were done buying them up

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Straker posted:

Goddamn, R9 290s down to $250 after rebate. Almost makes me want to try three of them, my motherboard is starting to act up anyway... I know crossfire doesn't often scale well past 2 cards but I do recall it making a huge improvement in microstuttering, then again that was before the frame pacing fixes from both AMD and nvidia.

edit: to be clear, I already have two which have seen shamefully little use in the past year. at least I got some of the very first ones and didn't have to wait until miners were done buying them up

You'll spend the difference in your electric bill

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I've got a maximum of 250 I'm willing to spend on a new GPU. What's the best card in that price rage? I'm a neophyte to this sort of things...will I be able to get something that will play most titles at 1080p, 60 fps at that price range?

Maybe I should wait till GTA V comes out as that's the title for the PC I'm buying this card for.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Apparently the issue I'm having with the 980 and displayports not working is a fairly common thing.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1515655/gtx-980-displayport-issue-anyone-else

These displayport issues seem to be widespread? Wouldn't it affect anyone buying a 9xx to pair with an ASUS ROG Swift for g-sync, since that requires displayport? Or people doing 1440p/higher on 120/144Hz monitors in general? Ugh.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777412/geforce-drivers/black-screen-on-windows-login-344-16-and-11-on-displayport-with-gtx980-sc/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...en-starting-pc/

It's not really clear to me if any particular brand is unaffected by this issue. Anyone else here affected by it?

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
I just purchased an EVGA GTX 980 SC with the ACX 2.0 cooler and noticed that one of the fans on the cooler wasn't spinning at all once I got it up and running in my system. This causes the one working fan to spin at full blast even when the card is idle. Attempting to adjust the fan settings in EVGA precision does nothing. It's always nice when you have to RMA your really expensive video card right out of the box. lol. More evidence of EVGA's recently quality control issues I guess.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
So now that I've got my Gigabyte G1 up and running, what can you folks tell me about OCing it? I've looked at the OC Tool included with the card, but I can't make any sense of it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Which 970 should I buy motherfuckers?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

codo27 posted:

Get the gigabyte g1, human being. It's got 3 display ports and overclocks very well.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

codo27 posted:

Asus if you have the option. MSI or Gigabyte if not. Zotac or EVGA if you just want the cheapest 970 you can get.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Smegma Princess X posted:

So now that I've got my Gigabyte G1 up and running, what can you folks tell me about OCing it? I've looked at the OC Tool included with the card, but I can't make any sense of it.

Use Msi afterburner. Scroll up for my overclocking settings.

Max out the power to 112 but don't use more voltage than needed as it can cause it to throttle.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

Asus if you have the option. MSI or Gigabyte if not. Zotac or EVGA if you just want the cheapest 970 you can get.

Why Asus over the others? I know MSI has the fan bullshit, but is there a particular reason for that order?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Schiavona posted:

Why Asus over the others? I know MSI has the fan bullshit, but is there a particular reason for that order?

It's been my impression that Asus' 970 has been all-round excellent. Not as imposingly big as the Gigabyte Windforce model, none of the coil-whine or weird power-throttling of some of EVGA and Zotac's cards, none of MSI's fan troubles, no real problems, really. I certainly don't remember seeing anyone reporting difficulties with 'em.

vvv Wariness of Gigabyte in general, mostly. I'm sure it works fine and it's just me being paranoid. Does the G1 do the thing where the fans stop when it's not under load? vvv

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 18, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
but if you can fit it why not get the gigabyte g1 with 3 display ports?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Radio Talmudist posted:

I've got a maximum of 250 I'm willing to spend on a new GPU. What's the best card in that price rage? I'm a neophyte to this sort of things...will I be able to get something that will play most titles at 1080p, 60 fps at that price range?

Maybe I should wait till GTA V comes out as that's the title for the PC I'm buying this card for.
If your maximum is $250 and you can wait, then wait. Maybe by the time GTA V comes out on PC there will be a Maxwell GTX 960 or AMD will have 20nm figured out.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Huh, a new MSI 970 GTX model showed up for preorder at my online retailer

MSI GTX 970 4GD5 OC

Also overclocked, but with 3 Displayports and without the Twin Frozr design fans.
Is that the reference design by chance?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Schiavona posted:

I bought it because it'll run league without the fan even running. That alone is enough for me to choose it over other coolers.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Went with ASUS for my 770, its been good to me. Guess I'll stick with em

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Are there MSI fan troubles outside of a trivially attached sticker?

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

r0ck0 posted:

Get the gigabyte g1, human being. It's got 3 display ports and overclocks very well.

Cut this poo poo out.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

jkyuusai posted:

Cut this poo poo out.

Well you can get the MSI but you will be missing out on two extra display ports.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Because I'm a fool, I bought a pair of these to run in SLI. Interestingly, *if* the picture on MSI's site is correct, then there's a strong possibility it is using the 980 PCB. I'll find out when I open it up.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

El Scotch posted:

Because I'm a fool, I bought a pair of these to run in SLI. Interestingly, *if* the picture on MSI's site is correct, then there's a strong possibility it is using the 980 PCB. I'll find out when I open it up.

Are you going by the I/O plate arrangement? That's the one that's also on MSI's 980 Gaming, but it certainly does look the most like reference 980 with the squiggle-shaped vents instead of the truss pattern. ASUS has that plate the same exact way on their Strix 980 with rectangle vents.

Gigabyte also has something like that on their 970 WindForce cards except with two DVI ports in the second slot instead of one and the DP ports rearranged.

In any case, you certainly got my attention.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 19, 2014

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm a click away from ordering the STRIX and I'm losing my mind wondering if I'd just be better off ordering another 770 and going SLI AAAAHHHHHHH this wont be as stressful when I check my lotto ticket tomorrow and find out I've won

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

mcbexx posted:

Huh, a new MSI 970 GTX model showed up for preorder at my online retailer

MSI GTX 970 4GD5 OC

Also overclocked, but with 3 Displayports and without the Twin Frozr design fans.
Is that the reference design by chance?

that looks like a modified reference design, to me

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Well you can get the MSI but you will be missing out on two extra display ports.

He meant needlessly adding the word 'human being' to your post. We're living in a kinder, ~gentler~ time now. :colbert:

And if you don't intend on ever using more than two displays, any 970 is fine - DVI-D will do everything DP does (at least until resolutions get high enough that our cards' DP ports no longer support them), the cable's just thicker and more of a bitch to route or negotiate.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 19, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Not so much kinder or gentler as less unnecessarily lovely to each other.

Aside from fan and coil issues that are probably ironed out by now, no nVidia card is actually that bad, because Greenlight means you can't sell bum cards with nVidia's IP included and if you try you don't get to sell nVidia cards anymore, which in this day and age is rapidly approaching a 'wrap it up, manufactailures' event.

You still have to worry about stuff like vent-to-case vs. vent-out, and the backplate design of the 970 makes vent-out designs few and far between - most cards have maybe a half-gap for direct-out ventilation (even if they are shotgun/squirrel style, which the 970s are usually not) and some have a panoply of ports and no external vent at all. Hope your CPU has some thermal overhead! (Or just put vented brackets in any unfilled expansion slots on your case.)

So pick one that has some effort put into it and works with your monitor and on your motherboard, power supply and case. And then ask the build thread whether it's a good idea before you actually submit an order, because this is more their thing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Finally has some time to run some real quick and dirty tests on FPS with my 980 now that I'm not being held back by an AMD (Got an Intel i7 4790k, replacing an AMD FX-8350) and the weekend work's clearing up. Pretty impressed.

Solid 60 in Skyrim with modest mods including 4k textures (Testing point being the inside of Whiterun right against the gate and looking at market district during the daytime); with crazy mods like that one that turns all towns into heavy forests for some reason it sits at like 43 under the same testing condition. Fully maxed graphics with no ENB or injectors.

53-60 with a heavily modded (Both graphically and .esp stuff) Morrowind at Hla Oad wandering around with a view distance set in MGE to about 10 grids, AA to 8x, most shader options on, shadows, etc. So pretty decent there, too (On the AMD a few days ago it was about 25 in the same location with the 980 and lower settings).

Dolphin emulator running Muramasa at maxed graphics (4x internal resolution, max anti-aliasing and such) ran with no hitching; previously I had the most annoying issue with any graphical setting where it would periodically drop a frame or two and the audio would skip to keep the emulator from crashing, that's stopped happening.

Payday 2, the warehouse in Shadow Raid stopped lagging finally. Need to test setting the lab in Rats on fire too, but that's promising since those are the only two points in that game that lagged even with the AMD.

Notably, Battlefield 4 became extremely rock-solid stable where before it had always crashed guaranteed within like 5 to 20 minutes (Often a blue screen, sometimes a hardlock or just CTD). No crashes at all, and it generally performs well, but the last time I played a round it was having major hitching issues when in actual combat that regardless of graphical setting (So I'm just keeping it maxed since baseline performance wasn't suffering). Considering so far it's the only game that's doing that kind of hitching, I'm going to attribute it to :dice: until I can figure that one out. But still, it's not loving me over for trying to play it so that's a victory all around.

I did a quick and dirty test of Borderlands 2 with maxed graphics including physx on high (Physx set up to run from the 980) and was able to dick around with particles up to the vanilla limit where new particles disappear with solid 60.

Need to check out Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Planetside 2, the Metro Reduxes to see if that AA problem I was having is gone, and probably Shogun/Rome 2 Total War and some other generally intensive poo poo when I've got the time during the day.

The basic lesson here is: never buy AMD anything, they suck bad and will hold you back.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

El Scotch posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't 970's literally 980's with some shaders turned off etc?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't 970's literally 980's with some shaders turned off etc?
Speaking of which, when this happens, is it a firmware thing (and therefore hackable) or are they disabled via hardware?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Josh Lyman posted:

Speaking of which, when this happens, is it a firmware thing (and therefore hackable) or are they disabled via hardware?
Considering that nobody was ever able to flash a 670 to a 680, I'd say it's the latter. Recent AMDs, on the other hand, have sometimes been the opposite.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm pretty sure nowadays that nVidia hobbles chips that are fundamentally no different than the flagship part by laser cuts made directly to the die. In that case the only 'firmware hack' you're going to get is to make the card *call* itself a 980 GTX and try to run at the 980's clock/mem speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

td4guy posted:

Considering that nobody was ever able to flash a 670 to a 680, I'd say it's the latter. Recent AMDs, on the other hand, have sometimes been the opposite.
If by 'recent' you mean 'since the 9700.' :v: They've done that for ages, only laser cutting further down the production run.