Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

calusari posted:

What games are you playing where VRAM is the limiting factor? The consoles having 8GB isn't a great argument because it's used for the OS, the game, and holding textures. I can't tell the difference between Ultra and High textures in Shadow of Mordor regardless of the resolution from all the screenshots I've seen.

Not to say I wouldn't buy an 8GB card if I had to buy a card today. But I certainly wouldn't bother if I had anything better than an R9 290/GTX 780

There is literally no game on the planet where 4gb of memory causes an issue. Even multiple 980s still run out of processing power before memory becomes an issue. Maybe, and I do mean maybe, if you're the .000000001% of people using triple 4k monitors you might run into memory limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
If Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within, Watch Dogs, and Assassin's Creed Unity are any indication, nearly all upcoming multiplatform games are going to need 4GB+ VRAM even at 1080p not to be stuttery messes.

nVidia is stringing us along to make more money. Cards with 8GB VRAM should be standard at this point. If the PS4 can deliver 8GB 256-bit GDDR5 for $400, there's no reason we shouldn't have at least that given what some of these cards cost.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 31, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Dick Fagballzson posted:

If Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within, Watch Dogs, and Assassin's Creed Unity are any indication, nearly all upcoming multiplatform games are going to need 4GB+ VRAM even at 1080p not to be stuttery messes.

nVidia is stringing us along to make more money. Cards with 8GB VRAM should be standard at this point. The consoles have 8GB and they are cheap compared to some of these cards.

Every single one of those games is a horrible console port.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Every single one of those games is a horrible console port.

So? It doesn't make his point any less valid moving forward.

Edit: Mordor by all accounts is a port done right, but I consistently utilize all the VRAM on my 980 with ultra textures at 1080p.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 31, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Dick Fagballzson posted:

You're preaching to the choir. The last card I bought for myself was a $200 GTX 460 in 2010. The 780 Ti was a gift. I'm just disgusted by how poorly it aged. Edit: which looking at ebay hasn't retained its value at all so maybe I won't be getting an 8GB 980, lol.

Happens every now and then when a new gen comes out that blows the old out of the water. And VRam was, until very recently (and still somewhat is) a negligible difference on performance for most games/gamers. I'm happy to see higher VRam amounts coming, but I can't fault companies for not having this much a year or two or three ago. The flagship cards are always the hardest hit, since they usually end up being the next-generations mid-range in terms of performance.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Anti-Hero posted:

So? It doesn't make his point any less valid moving forward.

Edit: Mordor by all accounts is a port done right, but I consistently utilize all the VRAM on my 980 with ultra textures at 1080p.

Even 8gb of ram isn't going to help when the console port sucks donkey dick. This was proven when they tested Titan with 6gb vs 780Ti with only 3gb. It ran equally lovely on both cards.

Bad code is bad code no matter how much memory a card has.

Besides, the 970/980 isn't even the "real" next gen Nvidia card.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

The blower fan is going to be a lot louder than the gaming heatsink. I have already tried out 2 980s with the blower fan and it's not as loud as 290s, but it is still a squirrel trap going mach1 when the card hits 60C.

Yeah, my current card has a blower fan too. I don't mind the noise, honestly, it's kinda grown on me :v:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm using Mordor as the benchmark for the next gen mutliplat games. It runs very well on a wide variety of systems, but could absolutely take advantage of >4GV VRAM for higher resolutions. lovely porting of other titles non-withstanding, that's just the way things are headed.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

kuroiXiru posted:

Yeah, my current card has a blower fan too. I don't mind the noise, honestly, it's kinda grown on me :v:

To each his own, the blower in my 670 drove me absolutely bonkers. I could hear it just enough over my headphones to be annoying in some games. Moving from that to an MSI 970 is crazy, even at load I have to stick my head beside it with the case open to tell that the fans are spinning.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I remember my GTX560, it sounded like a leaf blower once it got past 60% fan speeds. I honestly didn't mind that much.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Buying hardware in anticipation of "where things are headed" is pretty dumb. If you aren't satisfied with your performance in games that are out right now, that is an entirely different story. Then by all means get an 8gb card.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

I know you're joking, but Microcenter is so trusting with returns it's heartwarming. I can't get over how much better the retail experience is there than most places, and they've been willing to knock stuff down and make up a combo discount for me on stuff I'm buying.

They are pretty great, selling me an open box Asus Gene VII recently for just $105 bucks.

Realtalk: I also know you're joking, but the register at the store will force the cashier to scan the barcode on the graphics card and have it match the receipt. One time though they sold me an openbox that was somehow the wrong VRAM amount, like someone else did a switcharoo to return a 2GB card as a 4GB card and got away with it, luckily I caught it right away and they believed me when I explained it since the box with their sticker didn't match.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm using Mordor as the benchmark for the next gen mutliplat games. It runs very well on a wide variety of systems, but could absolutely take advantage of >4GV VRAM for higher resolutions. lovely porting of other titles non-withstanding, that's just the way things are headed.

People seem to run Mordor with high textures on 2 gig 750Ti cards without problems. Frame rates vary with vsync off when the game has to swap textures to and from system memory, but it's still a stable 30fps with vsync on since the swapping doesn't cause that much of an FPS hit.

People need to remember that modern games tend to treat VRAM like operating systems treat system RAM. They cache textures and don't unload them if they don't have to since unused RAM is wasted RAM and there is a good chance they will be needed again. If the VRAM is full and the game needs to load a new texture it's faster to just overwrite an old unused one versus going through the full texture allocation process. Just because a tool tells you that a game has 3.5 gigs of textures allocated doesn't mean that it's actually using everything that's loaded.

When new titles actually have problems running on 3 or 4 gig cards, super-high-res texture add-ons and settings called 'ultra' notwithstanding, then worry about VRAM amounts.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 31, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Zero VGS posted:

They are pretty great, selling me an open box Asus Gene VII recently for just $105 bucks.

Realtalk: I also know you're joking, but the register at the store will force the cashier to scan the barcode on the graphics card and have it match the receipt. One time though they sold me an openbox that was somehow the wrong VRAM amount, like someone else did a switcharoo to return a 2GB card as a 4GB card and got away with it, luckily I caught it right away and they believed me when I explained it since the box with their sticker didn't match.

Ya, after I return them I'm gonna keep an eye on them for when they go openbox :P Is that wrong? Probably, but meh, they're not worth the 1160 bucks I paid for the pair. Honestly even if they get marked down 25% I don't think they're justified when the 970s I got for 323 each are within 90% of the power.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, after I return them I'm gonna keep an eye on them for when they go openbox :P Is that wrong?

I think this would be a really lovely thing to do, return something and then buy it back as open box for 15% off.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Twerk from Home posted:

I think this would be a really lovely thing to do, return something and then buy it back as open box for 15% off.

It won't happen. They have been out of stock at Microcenter since I bought them 3 weeks ago. One of the employees will probably snag them as soon as I return them.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

veedubfreak posted:

There is literally no game on the planet where 4gb of memory causes an issue. Even multiple 980s still run out of processing power before memory becomes an issue. Maybe, and I do mean maybe, if you're the .000000001% of people using triple 4k monitors you might run into memory limits.

I've hit just over 4 gigabytes of VRAM use in Skyrim using ENB and massive, massive texture mods at 1440p....once.

But yeah. When the use cases are crazy resolution or insane modding, the argument that it is useful to people in general at this juncture in time is doubtful.

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 31, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

My MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming edition arrived today and is installed. If anyone has questions about this card, go for it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

pmchem posted:

My MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming edition arrived today and is installed. If anyone has questions about this card, go for it.

Is it fast? Whats your 3dmark firestrike score?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

Is it fast? Whats your 3dmark firestrike score?

It seems fast, but I just installed it tonight so I haven't gamed a lot yet. I downloaded the latest free 3dmark and ran the basic firestrike (that in itself was several tests). Result: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4562959 "11010 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980(1x) and Intel Xeon Processor E3-1230V2"

Looks... good? I haven't run 3dmark in ten years.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Dunno where this question would be better asked, but here it goes:

Got a Gigabyte 970 card 2 weeks ago, and it works just fine. Yesterday i noticed that in windows, the nvidia driver reports the card as running at pcie2 speeds. I have Asus p9x79 motherboard with i7-3930K cpu, so it should support pcie3. In linux, using the nvidia proprietary driver, nvidia-settings reports that it's running at pcie3 speeds (I do have options nvidia NVreg_EnablePCIeGen3=1 set in modprobe.conf).

Obviously somebody's right and somebody's wrong here. Even though probably for games it doesn't matter much, could it be that the windows driver is ... wonky?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

pmchem posted:

It seems fast, but I just installed it tonight so I haven't gamed a lot yet. I downloaded the latest free 3dmark and ran the basic firestrike (that in itself was several tests). Result: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4562959 "11010 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980(1x) and Intel Xeon Processor E3-1230V2"

Looks... good? I haven't run 3dmark in ten years.

Hmm, thats not very good. My 970 gets 11647, Graphics Score 13701 vs your 13892. Yours gets a little higher score but not what I would consider the difference between a 970 and a 980. I did overclock my card but I would be surprised if it matched a stock 980. Anyone else wanna chime in? Also if you alt-tab you can skip the beginning demo thing, it will say time error or something on the final score but still works.

My score:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4436711

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Volguus posted:

Dunno where this question would be better asked, but here it goes:

Got a Gigabyte 970 card 2 weeks ago, and it works just fine. Yesterday i noticed that in windows, the nvidia driver reports the card as running at pcie2 speeds. I have Asus p9x79 motherboard with i7-3930K cpu, so it should support pcie3. In linux, using the nvidia proprietary driver, nvidia-settings reports that it's running at pcie3 speeds (I do have options nvidia NVreg_EnablePCIeGen3=1 set in modprobe.conf).

Obviously somebody's right and somebody's wrong here. Even though probably for games it doesn't matter much, could it be that the windows driver is ... wonky?

What does GPU-Z say? What does your BIOS say? And ya it doesn't really matter.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

I did overclock my card but I would be surprised if it matched a stock 980.

Both your CPU and GPU are significantly overclocked compared to mine. I'm pretty sure that's accounting for the difference -- working as intended.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Picked up the Gigabyte 980. Overclocked to 1530mhz core and 8ghz on the RAM without any voltage out of the box. All I did was up the power limit to the max.
There is actually very faint coil whine if I let MSI Kombustor run at 1200 FPS, but in games at 120 fps it's dead silent. Fans while gaming are at about 35%, which is inaudible at least in my case. Burn tests will bring them up to 50% or so, where I can hear them, but the card still doesn't break 63 degrees C. My case is a Silverstone FT-02 fwiw.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

r0ck0 posted:

What does GPU-Z say? What does your BIOS say? And ya it doesn't really matter.

GPU-Z in windows is saying pcie2. In BIOS .... never looked. I'll search for it now to see if i can find it.

edit:
Just looked, and after a bit of digging under advanced options, it said that all 3 PCIex16 lanes are GEN3 (are set to GEN3). Maybe windows 7 (drivers?) is just lovely, i have it hang quite often when i boot into it, which is why i dont do it often.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 1, 2014

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Didin't people have a similar freakout when Doom 3 had ultra textures that used more VRAM than was really available at the time?

Fajita Fiesta fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 1, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Since I didn't get to actually return the 980s today, I figure I can do a few tests.

single 290x
single 970
single 980

Link me the most popular tests and I'll see how many I can get through before my eyes start to bleed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

veedubfreak posted:

Since I didn't get to actually return the 980s today, I figure I can do a few tests.

single 290x
single 970
single 980

Link me the most popular tests and I'll see how many I can get through before my eyes start to bleed.

I'm curious to see 3dMark Vantage pixel and texel fill overclocked in reality, if you have it!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm curious to see 3dMark Vantage pixel and texel fill overclocked in reality, if you have it!

I don't have any current $$ tests. If there are any free tests I can run at my actual fullscreen resolution using all 3 screens that would be the tits. I'd like to see the difference.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

veedubfreak posted:

I don't have any current $$ tests. If there are any free tests I can run at my actual fullscreen resolution using all 3 screens that would be the tits. I'd like to see the difference.

Can you run the firestrike benchmark at 1080p?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

r0ck0 posted:

Can you run the firestrike benchmark at 1080p?

Links please. I honestly don't know where to find this crap these days.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Didin't people have a similar freakout when Doom 3 had ultra textures that used more VRAM than was really available at the time?
Yes. People panicked over minute differences between x800's and 6800's when Ultra settings weren't really that different visually from High and also weren't a common feature requirements-wise for other games. Slightly different from now since the console competitors weren't as relatively buff. Oblivion's maybe a better example since it was released at the opening of the last console generation. How many PC's could actually max that out at launch? Probably only a select few extreme high-end systems, although it didn't take long until running it was a relatively simple affair.

veedubfreak posted:

Links please. I honestly don't know where to find this crap these days.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3dmark

Also do 3DMark 2011 (DX11) and Vantage (DX10)

Edit: nice custom title :v:

future ghost fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 1, 2014

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My Radeon 5850 died. I'm on a tight budget so I was looking at a Geforce 750 Ti as it looks like about the best card in the price range I can justify spending. I couldn't find any direct comparisons between the two, apart from lists of stats that are obviously comparing very different things.

So at 1920x1200, just how much of a performance difference am I looking at here, for better or worse?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

FuturePastNow posted:

My Radeon 5850 died. I'm on a tight budget so I was looking at a Geforce 750 Ti as it looks like about the best card in the price range I can justify spending. I couldn't find any direct comparisons between the two, apart from lists of stats that are obviously comparing very different things.

So at 1920x1200, just how much of a performance difference am I looking at here, for better or worse?
A 5870 isn't too far off from your card. Looks like you'll be looking at better performance in some games (nothing really stands out at 1080P) with worse in others although with better temps and power usage: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1062?vs=1130

If you don't mind used parts you could probably land something like a 280 or 280x for around the same price as a 750ti. Look at MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte for used AMD cards for the warranty.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

FuturePastNow posted:

750ti should be a little faster:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1062?vs=1131

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

FuturePastNow posted:

Here's a 5870 vs. a 750 Ti: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1062?vs=1130

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

FuturePastNow posted:

Probably about 20% faster from what I can extrapolate comparing a HD 5870 vs 750 Ti on Anandtech and then the 5870 vs 5850 on another site. Some nvidia favoring games like Bioshock Infinite favor the 750 Ti more. Looking at 750 Ti prices, the R9 270 looks to be in a similar price range and beats the 750 Ti pretty handily in everything but power consumption. The 2GB 750 Ti's seem to cost around 140 bucks with a 1GB 750 Ti for 125 on newegg, but a 1GB gaming card is probably not a good use of money at this point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thanks, that's about what I expected from what I've read, but it's nice to hear more opinions. Think I'll order the 2GB Zotac model. I tend to alternate between Geforce and Radeon cards every couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Why not the R7 265?