Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....yeah, I got nothing. I'm just hoping that at least one non-halo product has updated silicon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Do people still buy the 9590 220w chips that are slower than i3's in games?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....yeah, I got nothing. I'm just hoping that at least one non-halo product has updated silicon.

Don't worry, the new high end cards will have brand new chips in them starting with the 490x next year! :lol:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

:gonk: wow at 390x rebrand

What source are we looking at? Nothing would surprise me these days, I just hope we're not still quoting rumor mills as official.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There was a Asus leak that showed a 8gb 390x which directly counters AMDs statement that the new HBM card would only be a 4gb card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Specifically the model number R9390X-DC2-8GD5 showed up on ASUSes forums. GD5 is ASUS speak for GDDR5, so it can't be Fiji unless it has dual memory controllers.

We'll know the horrible truth soon enough anyway :eng99:

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 27, 2015

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

repiv posted:

unless it has dual memory controllers.

Assuming the information on Asus forums is reliable, I think then that this may be the most likely answer. Nvidia pulled it off the the 970, maybe AMD is looking to do the same. I can see no reason why AMD would delay the next generation of their cards if they were literally all rebrands. Holding up an entire gen just so the new top cards can have some HBM seems pretty dumb, but having an entirely lineup waiting for nothing just seems too far-fetched.

Either that, or they're saving HBM for an even more powerful trump card up their sleeve, but that seems even less likely than the other scenarios.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

repiv posted:

Specifically the model number R9390X-DC2-8GD5 showed up on ASUSes forums. GD5 is ASUS speak for GDDR5, so it can't be Fiji unless it has dual memory controllers.

We'll know the horrible truth soon enough anyway :eng99:

5 is marketshare percentage

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So the R9 390X is looking to be possibly a 8GB version of Hawaii, huh?

Really, if this is just a lineup of rebrands with a Titan-killer tacked on, why would they release it under the 300 series? Why not just wait until they have something new to offer? This is dumb, and I refuse to believe AMD is this myopic.

Hey, at least Zen is looking to be alright. Possibly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GrizzlyCow posted:

So the R9 390X is looking to be possibly a 8GB version of Hawaii, huh?

Really, if this is just a lineup of rebrands with a Titan-killer tacked on, why would they release it under the 300 series? Why not just wait until they have something new to offer? This is dumb, and I refuse to believe AMD is this myopic.

Cause the 2 series is already what 2 years old now if you dont count the fact they were rebrands. Should be still be using the 7xxx names

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
An 8 GB rebrand for all five people that want to run 8k Skyrim texture packs across multiple 4K monitors.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The 390X is not Fiji, they wanna give their HBM halo machine some dumb name like I dunno Atlas or Giant.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

sauer kraut posted:

The 390X is not Fiji, they wanna give their HBM halo machine some dumb name like I dunno Atlas or Giant.

They should call it Tyche, then - seeing as their fortune rides on it being a success.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EVGA"s ACX2 for the Titan X is out

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-FS-2990-B9

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Maybe their fortune is already safe, what with them being the incumbent in Cupertino.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

GrizzlyCow posted:

Actually we have almost no relevant performance details on Zen which is half the reason the AMD thread is dead.

The closest thing we have is the '40% better IPC over Excavator' announcement...but is that per thread or per core? If its per thread that is a good. You'd be looking at Haswell-ish performance in that case. If its per core, if you factor in the effect of SMT, then not so much. You might be looking at Sandy Bridge-esque performance...in late 2016/early 2017. We also don't know the clock speed targets either. High core counts with moderate TDP's don't bode well here. Or cache structure (ie. latency, associativity, etc.) details either.

I wanna be optimistic and hope for the best but lately they've been screwing the pooch while making GBS threads the bed with the lights on when it comes to execution. Really sad.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 28, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone remember the table showing the top 2 cards (then believed to be 390 and 390x) supposed to be costing $500 and $700 or somesuch? I can't find it anywhere.

Either way, I doubt a 290x rebrand would cost $500-700, so chances are we'll get a titan killer lite for $500 for 90% of the performace of the bigger one (kinda like what 970 is to 980).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So when is it speculated that the 980ti is going to go on the market?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Etrips posted:

So when is it speculated that the 980ti is going to go on the market?

Maybe

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Id say very likely since reviewers have them already.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
They broke me again. :v: This is on sale for 299 with Witcher and Batman, so I upgraded my wife's computer. She's currently on a 650 Ti which has been a fantastic little card but is getting a little long in the tooth.

drat you Nvidia, I'm trying to save money!! :doom:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Truga posted:

Does anyone remember the table showing the top 2 cards (then believed to be 390 and 390x) supposed to be costing $500 and $700 or somesuch? I can't find it anywhere.

Either way, I doubt a 290x rebrand would cost $500-700, so chances are we'll get a titan killer lite for $500 for 90% of the performace of the bigger one (kinda like what 970 is to 980).

I actually posted that but dont know where I got it and dont have it anymore. It was a little disheartening, since the 390 was $700 and the 390x was "$700+". I'm hoping, and guessing, that is complete bullshit now.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Panty Saluter posted:

They broke me again. :v: This is on sale for 299 with Witcher and Batman, so I upgraded my wife's computer. She's currently on a 650 Ti which has been a fantastic little card but is getting a little long in the tooth.

drat you Nvidia, I'm trying to save money!! :doom:

gently caress, I literally bought that same card two weeks ago for $340-ish off of Amazon and I really haven't had the time to actually use it, so I might as well have waited. I got the impression those codes would go away upon Witcher 3 release though and that drove me to buying then.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

necrobobsledder posted:

gently caress, I literally bought that same card two weeks ago for $340-ish off of Amazon and I really haven't had the time to actually use it, so I might as well have waited. I got the impression those codes would go away upon Witcher 3 release though and that drove me to buying then.

Amazon will take it back no questions with a prepaid label, if you want. They even have a drop down for* "better price or deal", something like that.

edit: although it appears its sold out at newegg, plus its the "LE" :confused: I guess downclocked

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 28, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kode54 posted:

Maybe their fortune is already safe, what with them being the incumbent in Cupertino.

I will say that an HBM-enabled APU with a competitive x86-64 architecture on a modern process node is basically Apple's ultrabook wet dreams come true. As good as Intel's CPUs have been to them, their graphics are still second-rate, and for an OS environment that places such a high priority on looking good, I think they think that's unacceptable (but they'll put up with it because there's no other market alternative yet).

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Actually we have almost no relevant performance details on Zen which is half the reason the AMD thread is dead.

The closest thing we have is the '40% better IPC over Excavator' announcement...but is that per thread or per core? If its per thread that is a good. You'd be looking at Haswell-ish performance in that case. If its per core, if you factor in the effect of SMT, then not so much. You might be looking at Sandy Bridge-esque performance...in late 2016/early 2017. We also don't know the clock speed targets either. High core counts with moderate TDP's don't bode well here. Or cache structure (ie. latency, associativity, etc.) details either.

I wanna be optimistic and hope for the best but lately they've been screwing the pooch while making GBS threads the bed with the lights on when it comes to execution. Really sad.

Just hope the 40% better IPC isn't per-chip. Because yeah, that's about the number that you'd get from going from CMT to SMT.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 28, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

necrobobsledder posted:

Did you actually buy the LE? It's a slightly different card then the regular 4G, and that's probably where the difference was.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Zotac just showed off a Titan X with Air AND Water cooling in one solution.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/zotac-titan-x-arcticstorm,29189.html

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Holy poo poo, that loving backplate looks like Trapper Keeper art or something.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I will say that an HBM-enabled APU with a competitive x86-64 architecture on a modern process node is basically Apple's ultrabook wet dreams come true. As good as Intel's CPUs have been to them, their graphics are still second-rate, and for an OS environment that places such a high priority on looking good, I think they think that's unacceptable (but they'll put up with it because there's no other market alternative yet).

Just hope the 40% better IPC isn't per-chip. Because yeah, that's about the number that you'd get from going from CMT to SMT.

I got to wonder if AMD won't just give up on low end cards if their APUs end up being good. I guess maybe for low end Intel systems, but then Iris Pro is perfectly fine otherwise. Maybe this might be why there is a shift on focus for performance cards, etc? Low end handled by APUs, allowing their cards to solely focus on competing with Nvidia at the high end?

Also, since this seems to be the Nvida thread now, why can't Nvidia make a competitive ARM chip for a desktop? Is it because Intel is a dick and won't let go of x86 emulation?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

IAlso, since this seems to be the Nvida thread now, why can't Nvidia make a competitive ARM chip for a desktop? Is it because Intel is a dick and won't let go of x86 emulation?

Yeah. There's only like two or three other companies that can produce x86 besides AMD and Intel, and I don't know how many of them have access to AMD's x86-64 instruction set. ARM does not have many, if any, good applications for desktop usage by itself. There's also the issue that we don't know if NVIDIA can even design a desktop processor better than AMD has. The only thing unique they have going for the Tegra K1 and Tegra X1 is their GPU, the latter is Maxwell-based and very impressive, but Project Denver hasn't manifested yet. We don't know how that performs. Beyond all that, once ARM based CPUs exit outside the ultraportable range, they get trounced by Intel's offerings, and Intel is preparing Skylake later this year not to mention their Core M SKU.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrizzlyCow posted:

Yeah. There's only like two or three other companies that can produce x86 besides AMD and Intel, and I don't know how many of them have access to AMD's x86-64 instruction set. ARM does not have many, if any, good applications for desktop usage by itself. There's also the issue that we don't know if NVIDIA can even design a desktop processor better than AMD has. The only thing unique they have going for the Tegra K1 and Tegra X1 is their GPU, the latter is Maxwell-based and very impressive, but Project Denver hasn't manifested yet. We don't know how that performs. Beyond all that, once ARM based CPUs exit outside the ultraportable range, they get trounced by Intel's offerings, and Intel is preparing Skylake later this year not to mention their Core M SKU.

'Project Denver' did indeed come out in the Nexus 9. It's not that great.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Amazon will take it back no questions with a prepaid label, if you want. They even have a drop down for* "better price or deal", something like that.

edit: although it appears its sold out at newegg, plus its the "LE" :confused: I guess downclocked

its the same as the regular 970 i bought so not too much. i dont think

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

OP says "very minor" differences between x8 PCIe and x16. I'm running a 3770k and SLI 970s, thus they are 8x as that CPU only will do 16x with a single GPU. Forget the money part of it, is there a significant graphical performance gain to be had by upgrading my CPU? (and thus the board as well of course yadda yadda)

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

tijag posted:

In fact, it's kinda bad

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mazz posted:

Did you actually buy the LE? It's a slightly different card then the regular 4G, and that's probably where the difference was.

The "LE" version of the 4G is their base clock card with the 4G's cooler on it. My guess is that they found the 4G cooler version was selling better than the non-4G cooler, so they're going to phase out the cheaper-looking base models and just go forward with the Twin Frozr cooler from here on out.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

codo27 posted:

OP says "very minor" differences between x8 PCIe and x16. I'm running a 3770k and SLI 970s, thus they are 8x as that CPU only will do 16x with a single GPU. Forget the money part of it, is there a significant graphical performance gain to be had by upgrading my CPU? (and thus the board as well of course yadda yadda)

No

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

codo27 posted:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

tijag posted:

Oh wow. With all the hype leading up to it, I would have thought it would've been a clear bit better than Apple's A8X. Well, at least their graphics performance is great.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrizzlyCow posted:

Oh wow. With all the hype leading up to it, I would have thought it would've been a clear bit better than Apple's A8X. Well, at least their graphics performance is great.

Yeah, Kepler graphics are good. The X1 in the Shield TV unit is a 4 big core, 4 small core ARM SoC with 2 Maxwell SMM's.

You can see all the reviews showing it mostly holds its own against the A8X on CPU and absolutely destroys it on GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of low PCI bandwidth... Would it be technically possible to buy a NUC like the one here that has both a SATA and a M.2 PCI slot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102097

Use the SATA port for the hard drive, then buy an M.2 to PCI x4 adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-4X-Female-to-NGFF-M-2-M-Key-Male-Adapter-Converter-Card-w-Power-Cable-/181596647270

and a x4 to x16 riser:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Express-4X-Male-to-PCI-E-16X-Female-Riser-Cable-/261439112006

and plug a graphics card into that? Assuming I could get a PSU to power the graphics card?