Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mutation posted:

I've seen some people's 980ties out perform my Titan X. :(

The 780ti though was a full big Kepler chip. The original titan was cut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mutation posted:

I've seen some people's 980ties out perform my Titan X. :(

Which is why I bought 2 980 TI cards to replace my single Titan X :) Wanna buy my Titan X ?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Not sure where to ask this, but I just noticed in BIOS that 512 MB of memory is reserved for the "iGPU" which I assume is the integrated graphics on my motherboard. I have a dedicated GPU, so I'd rather like that memory back. Is it safe to tell it not to allocate that memory as long as I'm not actually using integrated graphics?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

HMS Boromir posted:

Not sure where to ask this, but I just noticed in BIOS that 512 MB of memory is reserved for the "iGPU" which I assume is the integrated graphics on my motherboard. I have a dedicated GPU, so I'd rather like that memory back. Is it safe to tell it not to allocate that memory as long as I'm not actually using integrated graphics?

Just disable the igpu.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

veedubfreak posted:

Just disable the igpu.

That doesn't really seem to be a separate option, it's either both or only the iGPU. Told it not to allocate the memory though and nothing exploded. Thank you.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

HMS Boromir posted:

That doesn't really seem to be a separate option, it's either both or only the iGPU. Told it not to allocate the memory though and nothing exploded. Thank you.

What motherboard?

Some have the option labeled as multimonitor

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

On the other hand, it's NVIDIA who successfully moved their medium sized chips from the 200-250 dollar price range to the 300-500 range and is somehow getting record margins while killing their competition, and selling huge numbers of a wet fart at 200 because they ran out of decent cards.
Don't forget they're going to sell 90% of that wet fart for $130 so people who sprung for the wet fart at that price are gonna look even more stupid

I'm just hoping it comes in low profile so I don't have to jump for a second 750ti already :smith: Having two PCs with modern technology sucks

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Anyone else installed Win 10 with a Geforce card yet? After doing so myself and updating to the latest driver, CUDA is not showing as supported in my GPU-Z window. Yay for new OS bugs.

I tried a couple games and they seem to run fine, at least.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Wow. NewEgg really impressed me. I bought a 970 right before they switched from Arkham Knight to MGS V. Sent them an email support request asking if there's any way they could give me the MGS V key. (I had already installed AK, and knew they had no responsibility to do anything)

And they sent me the MGS V key! Wow! Very impressed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Space Racist posted:

Anyone else installed Win 10 with a Geforce card yet? After doing so myself and updating to the latest driver, CUDA is not showing as supported in my GPU-Z window. Yay for new OS bugs.

I tried a couple games and they seem to run fine, at least.

I still haven't received my email to download it. They released a win 10 driver though. I don't think 10 supports CUDA atm.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

thetechnoloser posted:

Wow. NewEgg really impressed me. I bought a 970 right before they switched from Arkham Knight to MGS V. Sent them an email support request asking if there's any way they could give me the MGS V key. (I had already installed AK, and knew they had no responsibility to do anything)

drat I wish I could say the same for PCCG down here in Australia, bought 2 MSI 980ti gaming editions 2 days before the promo came out and got told to suck eggs and speak to MSI, MSI told me that Nvidia set the rules and wouldnt give me a key but said they could give me a Batman key instead, gently caress me how Nvidia put their name to that game is a insult :argh:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

thetechnoloser posted:

Meanwhile I can't get Canada Computers to even give me the time of day nevermind my MGSV key....

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zigmidge posted:

Meanwhile I can't get Canada Computers to even give me the time of day nevermind my MGSV key....

You don't use Canada Computers for the service, that's for sure.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Subjunctive posted:

You don't use Canada Computers for the service, that's for sure.

You use Canada Computers to price match at NCIX.

Alternatively, I recently started buying from directcanada ever since they sold me a Strix 970 for C$393+tax. They also have free shipping over $50. Would recommend.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

ElehemEare posted:

You use Canada Computers to price match at NCIX.

Alternatively, I recently started buying from directcanada ever since they sold me a Strix 970 for C$393+tax. They also have free shipping over $50. Would recommend.

:bang:

I didn't want to wait! It was a saturday and my card had just fried itself and I was able to bike over, pick up a card and install it myself in the span of 40 minutes. :sigh:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So far I've talked to 2 people using chat, 3 people on the phone and still don't have my codes from Amazon. Starting to think it isn't worth the effort. But its not like I have anything better to do than try to get free stuff from Amazon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zigmidge posted:

:bang:

I didn't want to wait! It was a saturday and my card had just fried itself and I was able to bike over, pick up a card and install it myself in the span of 40 minutes. :sigh:

Yes, that's why you use Canada Computers. Just like Fry's.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So seeing how we are coming close to finally having a Die shrink happen, how much of a performance increase was there between other die shrinks?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Being from europe, am I eligible for the MGS5 key thing? My card arrived today. :3:

Also, gonna leave it at stock clocks with stock cooler for a week or two, then it's going under water if everything is fine and I'm going to the moon!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

Being from europe, am I eligible for the MGS5 key thing?

Probably, check if your store is listed here: http://www.geforce.com/GetMGS

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

Probably, check if your store is listed here: http://www.geforce.com/GetMGS

Nope :rip:

It was unlikely I'd play it anyway, but I wouldn't say no to a free game to add to my steam backlog.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

thetechnoloser posted:

Did they wish you an 'eggcellent' day afterward?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Not just that. My Titan X can only get a little bit beyond 1400 core without crashing the drivers, this is on a hybrid cooler with max voltage. I lost the silicone lottery big time.

So I've seen people's 980ties overclock past my Titan X on a stable overclock. Hell, I think the Gigabyte G1s are faster than my OC'd Titan X on their stock clocks.

They say "the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom", my wisdom is don't buy a Titan.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 30, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mutation posted:

Not just that. My Titan X can only get a little bit beyond 1400 core without crashing the drivers, this is on a hybrid cooler with max voltage. I lost the silicone lottery big time.

i can empathize. my 970 STRIX can't go past 1300mhz boost clock without getting artifacts and crashing even with voltage turned all the way up.

I imagine it burns more when it's a $1000 video card though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Dont fret too much, its still the best card they ever made with a zero increase in price :(.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

The Iron Rose posted:

i can empathize. my 970 STRIX can't go past 1300mhz boost clock without getting artifacts and crashing even with voltage turned all the way up.
I feel that. My Strix 970 is having none of my OC business. Makes me miss cranking up my 560-ti-448!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mutation posted:

So I've seen people's 980ties overclock past my Titan X on a stable overclock. Hell, I think the Gigabyte G1s are faster than my OC'd Titan X on their stock clocks.

They say "the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom", my wisdom is don't buy a Titan.

I'd buy a used Titan, even one that lost the silicon lottery, if only Nvidia had ISV drivers for them. =(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

1500 all day every day on my 970s. :2bong:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

I feel that. My Strix 970 is having none of my OC business. Makes me miss cranking up my 560-ti-448!

But at least you guys got a backplate! :confuoot:

Speaking as my MSI OC's to 1580mhz stable

(I really do want a backplate :()

E: Seriously though at least you didn't buy a Titan. I feel like I'd at least have to write a flaming letter to a Nvidia

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 31, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone know if Microart (Microart.CA) manufactures pcbs for AMD? AMD has offices in the same city as Microart

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

El Scotch posted:

1500 all day every day on my 970s. :2bong:

Me too, on a single MSI 970 Gaming 4G. Great success!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

The Iron Rose posted:

I imagine it burns more when it's a $1000 video card though.

Mmmm can you return this.. I know OC isnt guaranteed but that is drat near broken in this day and age

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Bleh Maestro posted:

But at least you guys got a backplate! :confuoot:

Speaking as my MSI OC's to 1580mhz stable

(I really do want a backplate :()

E: Seriously though at least you didn't buy a Titan. I feel like I'd at least have to write a flaming letter to a Nvidia

The 100ME has a backplate. :ssh:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Mmmm can you return this.. I know OC isnt guaranteed but that is drat near broken in this day and age

Eh it's not the end of the world. I'll probably upgrade when Pascal comes out anyways.

The only things I really spend money on are cigarettes, my investments, and computer parts/games so I'll just grab the 1080 or whatever.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aside from Freesync (and I don't plan on buying a Freesync monitor anytime soon), is there anything on my 290 I'd be giving up by going to a 970?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Aside from Freesync (and I don't plan on buying a Freesync monitor anytime soon), is there anything on my 290 I'd be giving up by going to a 970?

That cozy feeling of warmth when you cuddle your PC. :3:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I hope you're trading the 290 in because I wouldn't pay full price for a 10-15% upgrade unless you have awkward power problems.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Josh Lyman posted:

Your part of the buttcoin mining empire.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Half a gig of VRAM you'll possibly never use and not needing a standalone space heater in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Kazinsal posted:

Half a gig of VRAM you'll possibly never use and not needing a standalone space heater in the winter.

I know it's a funny joke, but the difference in power usage simply isn't enough to replace a space heater, just so we're grounded in reality. It's more like having another incandescent bulb switched on (under peak load).