Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

I think our perspective has been reversed this entire time on the Nano/X relationship - Fury X is the dumping ground for lovely Fiji chips, considering the performance/watt gap is enormously in favor of the Nano despite being the same chip. It's why they need the CLC, it's why they came first. Someone needs to buy a Nano and slap a solid Liquid loop on it and see where they can take it, because if a CLC Nano outperforms an X then it all but confirms AMD marketing is run in a separate universe where it's normal to have your head shoved up your rear end.

Yeah I think this is probably correct. Fury X slaps a liquid cooler on the high-leakage chips, Fury is where they toss the chips with defective units, and Fury Nano gets the grade-A fully functional low-leakage chips. The pricing makes sense from that perspective - they're not pricing them based on what the market will bear, they're pricing them based on their cost.

A GTX 980 for $650 is an awful deal unless you're absolutely constrained on space. Support for fullsize GPUs is almost ubiquitous nowadays - I would be really surprised to see a new case that didn't support them. Hell something like the RVZ01 can cram in a custom water loop and a 240mm radiator too. It's a golden age for mini gaming rigs. I remember reading an article about how high-end gamers are getting catered to because sales in the midrange are dropping out. I think this is another effect of that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

gently caress, you can even get 600W SFX(-L?) PSUs nowadays. Silverstone just put one out. All you really need for a 300W card is about 450W, anyway, and those are readily available. The only catch there is heat - they're much smaller and 60-80mm is about all you can cram in there for a fan. So you have small fans spinning fast, which gets noisy.

Yeah, short cards are an increasingly niche market because most cases are designed to take full-length double-slot cards. I have three different mITX cases and every single one of them could take a 980 Ti easily both in terms of power and space.

I assume this will be reference only? Otherwise the AIBs would crank the clocks and TDP back up and slap a big cooler on it and boom custom Fury X boards.

There was mention of aftermarket cards later in the year on AT.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

SlayVus posted:

Apparently, Galax's office/warehouse is in Illinois. I just sold my 970 to a guy in Illinois. Just an interesting coincidence.

FedEx says they'll deliver it Saturday. Just in time for my the days of from work. Come on Galax GTX 980 Ti HOF.

I'm a couple of hours away from Galaxy Tech's offices, but I'd be more than willing to go pick it up and break it in for you. :) I'll send the 970 back overnight FedEx in exchange. It's the golden edition. What a deal!

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I just bought a 1440p ultrawide monitor and was wondering if it makes more sense to get a 970 or 980 ti. Budget isn't much of an issue, but the extra cost would push back the build date of my machine. I don't need BLEEDING EDGE AWESOME gaming, but I know you pay a premium for power.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I just bought a 1440p ultrawide monitor and was wondering if it makes more sense to get a 970 or 980 ti. Budget isn't much of an issue, but the extra cost would push back the build date of my machine. I don't need BLEEDING EDGE AWESOME gaming, but I know you pay a premium for power.

980ti if its an option no question. That's a lot of pixels

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

980ti if its an option no question. That's a lot of pixels

Another option is to keep your eye out for a good used 980. I recently grabbed an EVGA 980 SC off Amazon for $350. Sure, its not a 980Ti, but it'll do 1440p just fine until Pascal comes out, especially since if its an ultrawide, you're not trying to do 100Hz+.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Watch EVGA B Stock

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I think it's not the only issue, if I'm still getting 18K on firemark with dual 980 Tis and one of them is basically idle.

This is in no way meant to be a smart rear end comment, but did you make sure SLI was enabled? Updating the driver always defaults to SLI off for some stupid rear end reason.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You should also make sure all SLI bridges are connected. If that doesn't work, make sure to purchase a 4-SLI bridge from Nvidia. This will give you four times the bandwidth between the two cards. Plugging both cards into the same PCIe slot greatly increases your total system bandwidth as the CPU will be able to talk to both cards at the same time. This gives them a full 16x PCIe lanes.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's not how that works, surprisingly SLI bridges don't have any sort of obfuscation at all and you can test how they're being utilized. 2 cards only need 1 bridge and don't do anything with the extra bridge if you connect 2 of them, the purpose of the dual ports is for daisy chaining 3 and 4 way setups.

Even quad Titan Xes are not limited significantly by the bandwidth of the PCI-E slot all the way down to 4x either, a few percent in most cases, never more than 10%. There isn't a single board solution for 980ti SLI yet anyway and that doesn't help someone who already has 2 of them.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

That's not how that works, surprisingly SLI bridges don't have any sort of obfuscation at all and you can test how they're being utilized. 2 cards only need 1 bridge and don't do anything with the extra bridge if you connect 2 of them, the purpose of the dual ports is for daisy chaining 3 and 4 way setups.

Even quad Titan Xes are not limited significantly by the bandwidth of the PCI-E slot all the way down to 4x either, a few percent in most cases, never more than 10%. There isn't a single board solution for 980ti SLI yet anyway and that doesn't help someone who already has 2 of them.

Joke post, comedy forums.

SlayVus posted:

Plugging both cards into the same PCIe slot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anti-Hero posted:

This is in no way meant to be a smart rear end comment, but did you make sure SLI was enabled? Updating the driver always defaults to SLI off for some stupid rear end reason.

Yeah, I've forgotten that in the past, but I'm explicitly A/B testing here, so I've been double-checking.

SlayVus posted:

Plugging both cards into the same PCIe slot greatly increases your total system bandwidth as the CPU will be able to talk to both cards at the same time.

This is a good idea, I'll see if I can find a mallet.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Remember, if it's not smelling like burnt silicon, it's not working hard enough

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

FraudulentEconomics posted:

970 loses in price & perf to the R9 390 so I wouldn't get that. Also look at reviews to see how much FPS those push in resolutions with simlar amounts of pixels. They're really going to struggle, so it makes sense to aim higher.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I got a Radeon HD 4850 that's showing its age along with an Athlon II X4 635 2.9 ghz. Having bought a basic 23" or so widescreen monitor, would I get a decent boost in my performance in Counter Strike: GO if I grab a GTX 750 Ti, or would I be held back by the CPU? The lower size and power requirements of the card is an attractive bonus to me. I'm not really looking to crank up settings or have some 144 Hz monitor but I do keep the game on fullscreen windowed, so it's running at 1920 x 1080.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

xthetenth posted:

There was mention of aftermarket cards later in the year on AT.

I get the impression at least MSI or ASUS is going to drop a double 8 pin Nano with improved VRMs and a better heatsink, IF leakage is a prime suspect in limiting Fiji performance. I could imagine a move to a custom cooler like the Asus 970 Turbo, because if anyone is buying custom R9 Nano XTs, they've likely the money for Xfire.

nftyw posted:

I got a Radeon HD 4850 that's showing its age along with an Athlon II X4 635 2.9 ghz. Having bought a basic 23" or so widescreen monitor, would I get a decent boost in my performance in Counter Strike: GO if I grab a GTX 750 Ti, or would I be held back by the CPU? The lower size and power requirements of the card is an attractive bonus to me. I'm not really looking to crank up settings or have some 144 Hz monitor but I do keep the game on fullscreen windowed, so it's running at 1920 x 1080.

Yes you would, and if CSGO is all you do I don't think the Athlon II X4, if you're unwilling to spend beyond the 750ti, is going to hurt you. Further with a 750ti you should be able to crank settings up to max anyway, and that would help the CPU actually.

If you're thinking of replacing the CPU/MB/HDD/etc, head over to PC parts picking/building thread and get some opinions. Be sure to fully explain what you do with your PC to get the best advice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've been thinking, AMD's pricing really isn't that dumb after all. Furies seem to have mostly sold out in most places, because their yield is kinda crap and fanboys bought up all the cards anyway. Why price it lower in this case at all? :v:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Truga posted:

I've been thinking, AMD's pricing really isn't that dumb after all. Furies seem to have mostly sold out in most places, because their yield is kinda crap and fanboys bought up all the cards anyway. Why price it lower in this case at all? :v:

Lol, true, if there is a guaranteed shortage why not price it $800. FPS/Inch is off the charts

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
audiophiles fall for the same dumb poo poo. This amp is really good because its so rare!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Fauxtool posted:

audiophiles fall for the same dumb poo poo. This amp is really good because its so rare!

The fury is rare because it uses silicon only harvested by blind monks in a blacked out cave so that no pixels escape via quantum tunneling. My neighbor's dad's cousin's friend works there and told him.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dogen posted:

The fury is rare because it uses silicon only harvested by blind monks in a blacked out cave so that no pixels escape via quantum tunneling. My neighbor's dad's cousin's friend works there and told him.

What kind of monks? This is important.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fauxtool posted:

Audiophiles fall more for the precious metal scam.
Tipped with specially processed mono-isotopic Columbian Iridium for EXTREME UNCOMPROMISING CLARITY.
Cables braided with synthetic organic cashmere with cables made of Purestrain Copper from the elemental plane of Copper for DIVINE UNFETTERED TRANSMISSION.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Skuto posted:

970 loses in price & perf to the R9 390 so I wouldn't get that. Also look at reviews to see how much FPS those push in resolutions with simlar amounts of pixels. They're really going to struggle, so it makes sense to aim higher.

This isn't really true, is it? A stock 390 is slightly slower than a stock 970, but the 970s are overclocking monsters.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Audiophiles fall more for the precious metal scam.
Tipped with specially processed mono-isotopic Columbian Iridium for EXTREME UNCOMPROMISING CLARITY.
Cables braided with synthetic organic cashmere with cables made of Purestrain Copper from the elemental plane of Copper for DIVINE UNFETTERED TRANSMISSION.

hbm stacked high, fps per inch. 4gb means 4gb

to be fair hbm is a big deal, but not how they have to sell it

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I guess I should wait to see real benchmarks before judging, but the Fury Nano seems like something a GTX 980 Mini would compete well with. If nVidia wanted to golden-sample some GTX 980 GPUs for higher clocks at the same TDP as the Fury Nano, they could probably beat it head-on at $650.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Fauxtool posted:

hbm stacked high, fps per inch. 4gb means 4gb

to be fair hbm is a big deal, but not how they have to sell it
True Quad Cores that get decimated by two dual-cores on a single package, but please, please ignore that

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hopefully AMD can sell enough cards to buy them time to get out Arctic Islands and HBM2, so I can selfishly buy that instead of Fiji. :getin:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
But what about Pascal? It's going to use HBM2 as well.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pascal might also actually be designed for DX12!!!!

but honestly a Hawaii die-shrink I'll be perfectly happy with, I'm not very picky.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
AMD executives spent the entire budget on an actual arctic island not understanding what code names are.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cisco privilege posted:

True Quad Cores that get decimated by two dual-cores on a single package, but please, please ignore that
The Athlon/Phenom II line helped AMD reach superior price/performance though!!! :unsmith:

...for all of 1.25 years :smith:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The k6-2/3 was actually really good if you had 3dnow support

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

The k6-2/3 was actually really good if you had 3dnow support

I might be misremembering, but the K6-2 and 3 chips had good enough performance at a much cheaper price. Intel had much better FP performance which helped a lot in 3d games, but AMD was decent even with out 3dnow.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AMD FPU performance was abysmal without 3dnow

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Don Lapre posted:

AMD FPU performance was abysmal without 3dnow

All hail the mighty celeron

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Gwaihir posted:

All hail the mighty celeron

Is that the celeron 300a overclocked to 450? That was the best price/performance deal ever.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doubt it, Prob just the 450mhz celeron.

dat full speed cache

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Not sure which thread to put this in, but I guess this one deals with watercooling/aftermarket stuff often enough so :shrug: :

Since the FrozenCPU owner went crazy, I just found out that most of their employees split off and founded their own site at http://modmymods.com/

Overall it seems they have some decent inventory and (according to the hardware forums I found out about this at) the same level of service that FrozenCPU had before they imploded. I usually stick with performance-pcs but it's good to have an alternative for weird custom parts I guess.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

but honestly a Hawaii die-shrink I'll be perfectly happy with, I'm not very picky.

This sounds p good actually if they can get higher clock speeds and lower temps then stick it into the commonplace 8 GB 390x boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Haven't seen it mentioned, but EVGA's B-stock 980s are in stock, 379 for the single fan, 369 for the dual fan. Snagged a dual fan because hey, it's the price difference for phantom pain away from a 970 and that's not bad. I might just might get my build under 2k just yet.