Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If I could trade in my computer spending over the last 5 years, my bug would be rust free, painted, on air ride, and have a 200hp engine in it. Yay for computers.

Here, have this thought for a new page.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

veedubfreak posted:

At this point, I still do it simply for how quiet it is. I have my fans on at roughly the minimum voltage to make them spin. When you have 2 cards, the cpu and mb all on the same loop with 4 360mm rads it's almost passive.

The box fan in the hall is louder than the computer.

This is the setup I need to get to, especially with the tuned-down fans. Mine still sounds like Twister when I first boot it up, even with the fan control unit hooked in.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My long-term computer goal is to build a loop with enough rads and big reservoirs to run a full system passively (with -E series CPU and two GPUs no less). I would have no reservations about running GPUs at air cooling temps if it could be fully passive.

Every time I save the money to do it I end up spending it all in a different area, like my car or a holiday.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My next house will be plumbed for passive thermal cooling of my computer.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
geothermal baby

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

veedubfreak posted:

My next house will be plumbed for passive thermal cooling of my computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bLtg9J1Oc

It's been done it didn't work very well :v:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

That's not a good example. A geothermal loop with proper sized tubing and a giant pump located outside is the way to go.

My next house will be basically planned and built to my specs.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Subjunctive posted:

This is the setup I need to get to, especially with the tuned-down fans. Mine still sounds like Twister when I first boot it up, even with the fan control unit hooked in.

Having just thrown a G10 on my 980, I can say that doing that is a bit overkill. I have a massively overclocked 2500k on a (reasonably large) air cooler that runs at all of <600RPM and is effectively silent, paired with a H110 on the 980, which after routing the fans for that through a manual fan control unit, are also pretty damned quiet. The loudest part of my computer is the pair of 140mm fans I have for general "everything else" cooling, and they barely run at all.

The advantage I see of an AIO + G10 (other than ease of maintenance) is that when Pascal or Arctic Islands comes out, there's a pretty good chance I'll be able to port it right over, without having to bother spending another $100 on a new waterblock. Also it didn't cost me $300+ for the initial setup.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

They used copper pipes. That project was doomed to failure from the planning phase.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone using surround/eyefinity that has played the Star Wars Battlefront beta. For some reason, the hud is showing up on my left screen.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They used copper pipes. That project was doomed to failure from the planning phase.

Why is that? Wouldn't distilled water/coolant be fine in copper? After all auto radiators use copper piping and they're fine as long as you use the right coolant.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Panty Saluter posted:

Why is that? Wouldn't distilled water/coolant be fine in copper? After all auto radiators use copper piping and they're fine as long as you use the right coolant.

Yes, radiators do use copper. So do heatsink base plates, and waterblocks, because it conducts heat well.

I therefore ask you, what is the value of removing heat from a computer, only to radiate it back into the room through the copper pipes, before it can get to the giant radiator they mounted outdoors that it needed to go to?

Had they used something less thermally conductive, or heck, wrapped insulation around the piping, the heat might have actually gotten to where it needed to go, and not just gone back into the room they were trying to get it out of. (Even then mounted right up against the wall, they wouldn't have been able to wrap the pipes in insulation. It comes in long lengths, and looks like that piece of foam that would wrap around the crotch-busting bar on your first bicycle.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 10, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I really doubt those pipes are radiating much heat at all. Water moves so fast through those systems it barely heats much over ambient.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Well what do giant data crunch centers use for heat dissipation? I would guess something diluted in water to increase boiling point and the amount of energy it can transport. And I assume they use water because it can potentially hold a poo poo ton of energy before phase changing. I also assume they'd insulate the transport (pipes) where needed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fabulousity posted:

Well what do giant data crunch centers use for heat dissipation? I would guess something diluted in water to increase boiling point and the amount of energy it can transport. And I assume they use water because it can potentially hold a poo poo ton of energy before phase changing. I also assume they'd insulate the transport (pipes) where needed.

I think that really depends on heat density. Anything from powerful climate control on up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don Lapre posted:

I really doubt those pipes are radiating much heat at all. Water moves so fast through those systems it barely heats much over ambient.

Even if this is true (and I'm not convinced that it is--there looks to be 10-20' of piping for each computer, which is pretty significant; I'm not going to bother doing the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if 20' of 1/2" pipe had effective surface area comparable to a 120-240 radiator), the whole thing would have made more sense with something like insulated PVC pipe, which would have not only made installation easier, but been a whole lot cheaper, too.

I guess maybe they just really liked the aesthetic?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

veedubfreak posted:

That's not a good example. A geothermal loop with proper sized tubing and a giant pump located outside is the way to go.

My next house will be basically planned and built to my specs.

Ground loops absolutely work, I read about a guy who did such a thing years ago.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I built a new rig earlier this year after several parts completely shat themselves, but couldn't afford to also replace my old HD7700. Right now I've got a bit of scratch I can put towards a new GPU, so I picked up a new R9 380 for €240,- All's well that ends well, right?

Except it turns out there's an issue with AMD's drivers with playing some games (specifically, FFXIV, which is my main pc game these days) for the R380 cards. poo poo. I'm probably going to return the card, but I'm not really sure what to replace it with.

R9 290 used, ~€170-€190
GTX 970 new, ~€350
GTX 970 used, ~€300
GTX 960 4G new, ~€250

It feels a bit silly to get the 290 at this point/price, but I'm not certain if going up a notch to the 970 is worth it since it'd be kinda stretching my finances. I never hear poo poo about the 960, which seems like the closest Nvidia equivalent to the R380. Also I'm a bit wary of buying hardware used.. help?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rhaka posted:

I built a new rig earlier this year after several parts completely shat themselves, but couldn't afford to also replace my old HD7700. Right now I've got a bit of scratch I can put towards a new GPU, so I picked up a new R9 380 for €240,- All's well that ends well, right?

Except it turns out there's an issue with AMD's drivers with playing some games (specifically, FFXIV, which is my main pc game these days) for the R380 cards. poo poo. I'm probably going to return the card, but I'm not really sure what to replace it with.

R9 290 used, ~€170-€190
GTX 970 new, ~€350
GTX 970 used, ~€300
GTX 960 4G new, ~€250

It feels a bit silly to get the 290 at this point/price, but I'm not certain if going up a notch to the 970 is worth it since it'd be kinda stretching my finances. I never hear poo poo about the 960, which seems like the closest Nvidia equivalent to the R380. Also I'm a bit wary of buying hardware used.. help?

If you can get the 970 you should, it will give you 60+ FPS in FFXIV at max settings @1080p very consistently. If you get a used 970 or 290 get one of the brands that offers transferable warranties.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Considering the price difference between those the used 290 is clearly the better option if you are comfortable with a used card. Unless it's the reference style blower cooler. The 960 4gb is never worth it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

B-Mac posted:

Considering the price difference between those the used 290 is clearly the better option if you are comfortable with a used card. Unless it's the reference style blower cooler. The 960 4gb is never worth it.

The 960 is never worth it, the 2 GB is already starting to tank.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

Errr I dunno, it is almost exactly how a water based heater works. I saw that video and was cringing, they were turning that room into a gigantic heater.

Fortunately the insulation thing would work perfectly fine and would be very cheap, although considering the length of pipe involved it would cause more work for the final radiator (so if it was already at 100%, the overall temps would increase for the equipment involved)

xthetenth posted:

The 960 is never worth it, the 2 GB is already starting to tank.

Interesting info I saw yesterday, nvidia is increasing 960's to 4gb reference. Personally not sure how much that's going to matter for that card but I guess they've taken notice to the grumbling.

edit: Well drat, you've got me interested again. I used to be very vocal, especially in the last two gens and with nvidia in particular, about the snake oil that was doubling vram over reference. It boiled down to cards that shipped with 2gb (3gb, etc) simply did not benefit from twice the ram because then everything else become the bottleneck before you could even use any of it. However, this was just as dependent on games and the technologies they used as well. As some pointed out you could easily fill the vram buffer while having a fairly low GPU load - in theory. Reality at the time was that simply never happened in anything even close to playable framerates and focusing on vram was a (successful) marketing scam. Also since AMD vs Nvidia is so much more popular these days I should mention AMD was significantly superior in memory handling than Nvidia during the 600-700 series era and it was never the bottleneck for them, but they had the same basic conclusion: dont buy twice the vram over reference.

But times change, and I wonder if there's something to it now. Are developers using more vram in proportion to GPU processing than they were before? Is nvidia doubling the vram purely in response to negative views about the card in general or is there an actual performance reason?

Hmmm, looking depressingly familiar so far

but wait!

Holy poo poo a real difference!

Those spikes in particular are often what is seen as a "laggy" experience. Its how a "smooth" 30 fps can look so dramatically different than a "laggy" 30 fps. And, in this case, we are talking about 1440p at around 30 fps. So for the first time in YEARS I've seen a card that appears to have some real benefit from doubling the vram over reference. 30 fps is a playable fps (a huge caveat in the past) especially for a singleplayer game.

But would I recommend spending more for a 4gb 960? I'm not sure*. This no longer seems to be an issue if you play at resolutions you'd expect to play with a 960. But I can probably say nvidia officially doubling the vram could be for more than simple marketing reasons.

Edit2: After actually looking at this post I probably put a more positive spin on the concept than I meant to. I am excited to finally to see some difference here at a somewhat reasonable resolution and framerate. In the past this used to be something fiercely argued, here and in particular the internet. And friends. And store employees. And the very companies spreading misinformation. Some random guy at work who bought a 6gb 280x because well, its got twice the ram!

I am really not trying to push people to buy a 4gb 960 here is all I mean. The graph above is playing a game at 1440p with a 960, not something I'd ever recommend anyway.

*no just buy a 970 at that point lol

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 10, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Been out of the loop on GPUs for awhile. I have a buddy looking to do video editing so general GPU/CUDA is the big need. He's currently looking at the 970. Good? Bad? Any other suggestions in the $200 price range?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boywhiz88 posted:

Been out of the loop on GPUs for awhile. I have a buddy looking to do video editing so general GPU/CUDA is the big need. He's currently looking at the 970. Good? Bad? Any other suggestions in the $200 price range?

If you can find a 970 in the $200 price range, jump the hell on that deal.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Errr I dunno, it is almost exactly how a water based heater works. I saw that video and was cringing, they were turning that room into a gigantic heater.

Fortunately the insulation thing would work perfectly fine and would be very cheap, although considering the length of pipe involved it would cause more work for the final radiator (so if it was already at 100%, the overall temps would increase for the equipment involved)

Interesting info I saw yesterday, nvidia is increasing 960's to 4gb reference. Personally not sure how much that's going to matter for that card but I guess they've taken notice to the grumbling.

edit: Well drat, you've got me interested again. I used to be very vocal, especially in the last two gens and with nvidia in particular, about the snake oil that was doubling vram over reference. It boiled down to cards that shipped with 2gb (3gb, etc) simply did not benefit from twice the ram because then everything else become the bottleneck before you could even use any of it. However, this was just as dependent on games and the technologies they used as well. As some pointed out you could easily fill the vram buffer while having a fairly low GPU load - in theory. Reality at the time was that simply never happened in anything even close to playable framerates and focusing on vram was a (successful) marketing scam. Also since AMD vs Nvidia is so much more popular these days I should mention AMD was significantly superior in memory handling than Nvidia during the 600-700 series era and it was never the bottleneck for them, but they had the same basic conclusion: dont buy twice the vram over reference.

But times change, and I wonder if there's something to it now. Are developers using more vram in proportion to GPU processing than they were before? Is nvidia doubling the vram purely in response to negative views about the card in general or is there an actual performance reason?

Hmmm, looking depressingly familiar so far

but wait!

Holy poo poo a real difference!

Those spikes in particular are often what is seen as a "laggy" experience. Its how a "smooth" 30 fps can look so dramatically different than a "laggy" 30 fps. And, in this case, we are talking about 1440p at around 30 fps. So for the first time in YEARS I've seen a card that appears to have some real benefit from doubling the vram over reference. 30 fps is a playable fps (a huge caveat in the past) especially for a singleplayer game.

But would I recommend spending more for a 4gb 960? I'm not sure*. This no longer seems to be an issue if you play at resolutions you'd expect to play with a 960. But I can probably say nvidia officially doubling the vram could be for more than simple marketing reasons.

*no just buy a 970 at that point lol

This sort of depends on if you actually have to pay significantly more for a 4GB card verses a 2GB one. I was able to find a significant price difference going from 2GB to 4GB for the 960, $189.99 vs $229.99 for the MSI models. But when I looked at the 380: Sapphire R9 380 2GB: $194.99, Sapphire R9 380 4GB: $204.99

So yeah, not worth it on the 960 but probably well worth it on the 380.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This sort of depends on if you actually have to pay significantly more for a 4GB card verses a 2GB one. I was able to find a significant price difference going from 2GB to 4GB for the 960, $189.99 vs $229.99 for the MSI models. But when I looked at the 380: Sapphire R9 380 2GB: $194.99, Sapphire R9 380 4GB: $204.99

So yeah, not worth it on the 960 but probably well worth it on the 380.

I agree. However if this reference vram change by nvidia is true, I wonder what that would do to pricing. I think it'd be smart if they kept it at the 2gb pricepoint - it'd certainly be in line with the rest of their behavior this year.

I actually didn't realize 380's came with 2gb... since 280's came with 3gb lol. That's just... well, anyway, I'd say well worth the $10.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I agree. However if this reference vram change by nvidia is true, I wonder what that would do to pricing. I think it'd be smart if they kept it at the 2gb pricepoint - it'd certainly be in line with the rest of their behavior this year.

I actually didn't realize 380's came with 2gb... since 280's came with 3gb lol. That's just... well, anyway, I'd say well worth the $10.

Different VRAM bus width, the 7950/7970 (280/280X) used a 384-bit bus, whereas the 285(380) is a different chip entirely and uses a 256-bit bus with colour compression to make up some of the deficit.

I agree they should have never gone out of the door with 2GiB VRAM, though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HalloKitty posted:

Different VRAM bus width, the 7950/7970 (280/280X) used a 384-bit bus, whereas the 285(380) is a different chip entirely and uses a 256-bit bus with colour compression to make up some of the deficit.

I agree they should have never gone out of the door with 2GiB VRAM, though.

Ah okay cool. I missed the Tonga train entirely

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you can get the 970 you should, it will give you 60+ FPS in FFXIV at max settings @1080p very consistently. If you get a used 970 or 290 get one of the brands that offers transferable warranties.

I played FFXIV with a 970 and being in any kind of town would crush FPS at 1080p, I think because the other player characters are CPU bound or something.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

I played FFXIV with a 970 and being in any kind of town would crush FPS at 1080p, I think because the other player characters are CPU bound or something.

Yes almost certainly

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Right, thanks for the replies. 960 is out, so I'll see if I can find a good deal for a (used) 970 or just get a 290 if it's literally half the price. Cheers.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, I was talking about situations where you are actually fighting stuff, well, outside of over crowded FATEs at least. Though I get pretty good numbers in Foundation, like 58-70 FPS even near the crystal or at the bazaar, maybe because I have an i7-4790k?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, my 4790K/970 setup did fine in cities, IIRC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the fields and in the streets, we shall fight...in the same venue but with more commissioners?

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/10/09/patent-infringement/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

A water based heater heats the water to much higher temperatures

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

A water based heater heats the water to much higher temperatures

Yeah I know, but if their main goal was to remove the heat coming out of their computers in order to drop room temp, creating a radiator out of bare copper on their wall wasn't a great idea... If they wrapped it up, it'd be just fine. The concept is pretty good too and I'm certain it'd have worked just fine (although, lol, not enough to justify all that work but as a neat project).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah I know, but if their main goal was to remove the heat coming out of their computers in order to drop room temp, creating a radiator out of bare copper on their wall wasn't a great idea... If they wrapped it up, it'd be just fine. The concept is pretty good too and I'm certain it'd have worked just fine (although, lol, not enough to justify all that work but as a neat project).

I really like Linus and his shows but when he mucks something up he pulls out all the stops (he does it a lot). :eng99:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Just Another Lurker posted:

I really like Linus and his shows but when he mucks something up he pulls out all the stops (he does it a lot). :eng99:

Same. Once I saw him like rubber band a cooler to a $5000 processor on a cardboard box while using a $1000 GPU to keep it from falling over. But I like stuff he says otherwise lol

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Watched through the series and the huge loop cooled the PCs extremely well, better than the 2x120mm closed loop rads, but didn't help the room temp at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Prescription Combs posted:

Watched through the series and the huge loop cooled the PCs extremely well, better than the 2x120mm closed loop rads, but didn't help the room temp at all.

He got a bad fungus out of the whole ordeal though.