Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
After rereading my posts, I think the slight confusion came up because of the first use of the word "even" in the first post. I'm not a native english speaker and sometimes tend to word weirdly when I'm a bit tired. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://gpuopen.com/ is live.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some tone deaf poo poo on that site, including the name (sounds like a tennis tournament), but glad to see AMD competing asymmetrically. IME their people are nicer to work with, just saddled with an unfortunate technology disadvantage on the last round.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Subjunctive posted:

Some tone deaf poo poo on that site, including the name (sounds like a tennis tournament), but glad to see AMD competing asymmetrically. IME their people are nicer to work with, just saddled with an unfortunate technology disadvantage on the last round.

Maybe send them an email about said tonedeaf poo poo if you have the time, AMD could literally use any and all help it can get.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FaustianQ posted:

Maybe send them an email about said tonedeaf poo poo if you have the time, AMD could literally use any and all help it can get.

Yeah, I indirectly pinged someone at AMD I used to work with. I dunno if she wants to fight copy editing wars, but maybe!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

GPUOpen is an easy site name to type and remember, and OpenGPU.com was taken, so I don't see the problem there. Fits with the whole FreeSync thing, "free and open".

I'm not a coder so I have no idea if the articles are any good but from a layman PR perspective it seems like a good move for probably not a lot of effort in the grand scheme of things.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's a ton of effort, but most of it isn't engineering effort.

Adjectives go first in English, which is how you get names good.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Assuming you trust the article not to be pulling numbers out of its rear end, we have Fury X2 numbers: http://wccftech.com/amd-fury-x2-12-tflop-compute-vrla-winter-expo/

Seems like it might not be running at full speed, though, with 375W TDP, an undisclosed clock speed, that infuriating stat-per-watt thing again.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Assuming you trust the article not to be pulling numbers out of its rear end, we have Fury X2 numbers: http://wccftech.com/amd-fury-x2-12-tflop-compute-vrla-winter-expo/

Seems like it might not be running at full speed, though, with 375W TDP, an undisclosed clock speed, that infuriating stat-per-watt thing again.

Yeeeahhhh

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fiji :geno:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'll admit that I really want a Fury X, but absolutely none of those reasons have to do with Fiji.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
At the risk of sounding incredibly dumb: how much of a temperature increase can I expect during summer? Because it's 30ºC right now (86F), and my card is being an rear end in a top hat and spiking to ~82º C.

I had been keeping an eye on it after bit of an overheating issue last year where it had been hitting the same temperatures, but after sorting it out (one of my case fans was on backwards but I replaced the thermal paste just in case), it had been peaking at ~70~71 tops during summertime (25-30C), so I'm not sure why under the same circumstances I'm now getting 10 more degrees. :(

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Edmond Dantes posted:

At the risk of sounding incredibly dumb: how much of a temperature increase can I expect during summer? Because it's 30ºC right now (86F), and my card is being an rear end in a top hat and spiking to ~82º C.

I had been keeping an eye on it after bit of an overheating issue last year where it had been hitting the same temperatures, but after sorting it out (one of my case fans was on backwards but I replaced the thermal paste just in case), it had been peaking at ~70~71 tops during summertime (25-30C), so I'm not sure why under the same circumstances I'm now getting 10 more degrees. :(

What card?

Environment seems to be 1:1 for temperature increases for me. You can expect that at the very least, and its possible it can "run away" too. I'd try to figure out if something is wrong due to the change you noted. Dust in the fins can be difficult to see but definitely cause serious temperature increases. Also a lot of this depends on the card itself in terms of when it starts to throttle and so on.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

What card?

Environment seems to be 1:1 for temperature increases for me. You can expect that at the very least, and its possible it can "run away" too. I'd try to figure out if something is wrong due to the change you noted. Dust in the fins can be difficult to see but definitely cause serious temperature increases. Also a lot of this depends on the card itself in terms of when it starts to throttle and so on.

It's an Asus GTX660 TI-DC2. I had airblasted my case yesterday when I noticed the temp spike, but I just took the card out and went to work on the fins just in case. A few months ago (November, so mid spring) I overclocked it a bit; the temp was fine at the time but I'm realizing I never had it running overclocked during summer, so that may very well explain what's going on here. I went back to my previous config on the GPU Tweak and I'll keep an eye on it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There is nothing wrong with that temperature. The card will boost itself as high as it thinks it can and then throttle back at high temps. You can do a custom fan curve if you want too.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Don Lapre posted:

There is nothing wrong with that temperature. The card will boost itself as high as it thinks it can and then throttle back at high temps. You can do a custom fan curve if you want too.

I have it customized, it was ~80~82 with 100% fan speed. That's an acceptable temp? I keep seeing people saying their card is between 60 and 70 whenever I google it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Are you boosting voltage or anything? 82c @ 100% fan does seem excessive.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
It is too high for that card for sure. I actually had that exact card and it would barely be in the low 60's after repasting, low 70's with synthetics. Since you repasted, the low 70's figure you had would make sense since the ambient temp is also 10 degrees higher than it would have been for me. Easiest thing to test is take the side off your case and see if it changes.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, to be honest I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. I opened the case and was still getting high temps, that's when I took out the card and airblasted it to hell and posted here. After putting it back in I went back on my OC settings:
fired Dirt Rally and left it running (99% GPU usage), and I hit 73 but then stayed at 71 for a good 15 minutes.

Confused, I ramped the OC to what I set in November with help from the thread:
clock to 1254Mhz when peaking (94 offset), power target to max (123%), min gpu volt to minimum, memory clock at 6600.
I've just played a good 15 minutes of Mad Max and again, 72 tops.

Maybe I had a bit of weird dust or something, dunno, but it seems to have gone back to normal now. I'm still gonna be paranoid-checking the temperature for the next few weeks though. :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It doesn't take a lot of dust to cover the vents inside the heatsink.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I figured out my GPU cooling problem. The cable for the fan was damaged at the connector, such that when it bent it would cut out. It was being bent by the case closing, turning off the rad fans. The leaf blower sound was the VRM-cooling stock fan trying to save itself.

Replaced the extension cable with a new one, 54C at 91% load, much quieter.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Don Lapre posted:

It doesn't take a lot of dust to cover the vents inside the heatsink.

Yeah, this happened to me a couple weeks ago. My card was suddenly hitting 90C and when I opened up the case the card had just a small amount of dust on it. After blowing the dust off the temps went back down to the 70s.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

I figured out my GPU cooling problem. The cable for the fan was damaged at the connector, such that when it bent it would cut out. It was being bent by the case closing, turning off the rad fans. The leaf blower sound was the VRM-cooling stock fan trying to save itself.

Replaced the extension cable with a new one, 54C at 91% load, much quieter.

:(

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah I just dusted my computer today, and a very light coating dusted off translated to 10 degrees C cooler temperatures for both GPU and CPU under load, and sub 30C idle! It's insane what a little dust can do.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is it normal for coil whine to just get worse suddenly? I found that if I left v-sync off and I went into a menu and my computer was rendering thousands of frames a second, the coil whine would be nuts, but it was never really audible at regular 60-120fps frame rates. Now it's basically always audible.

I know coil whine isn't technically a fault, but have you guys found that it's possible to get cards with bad whine replaced?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cat doter posted:

Is it normal for coil whine to just get worse suddenly? I found that if I left v-sync off and I went into a menu and my computer was rendering thousands of frames a second, the coil whine would be nuts, but it was never really audible at regular 60-120fps frame rates. Now it's basically always audible.

I know coil whine isn't technically a fault, but have you guys found that it's possible to get cards with bad whine replaced?

Maybe if the coils shake themselves more loose? I could see that happening kind of but I don't know if it does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Did NVIDIA ship the 144Hz high-idle fix?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

seems to work on single displays fine, multiple not so much

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

xthetenth posted:

Maybe if the coils shake themselves more loose? I could see that happening kind of but I don't know if it does.

Yeah, I have no idea, it's just started being audible all the time, I noticed it while I was playing dragon's dogma where the coil whine was becoming audible if the framerate dropped under 60, which is real weird.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

seems to work on single displays fine, multiple not so much

Im about to buy a 144hz display to go along with a 60z I already have. Is it going to affect me and where can I read up on it?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Im about to buy a 144hz display to go along with a 60z I already have. Is it going to affect me and where can I read up on it?

You should be able to work around it with NVIDIA inspector if it hits you, only reason I kept my 970 as long as I did.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NVIDIA Inspector doesn't work for me (that part of it), so it's not a slam dunk.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
couldnt pass up a headline like this

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I uh....what? :psyduck:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
We need a :capitalism: smiley that says "that's journalism"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Troll?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Press X to enable gameworks

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
Source of the quote:

http://www.investors.com/news/technology/nvidia-wont-do-well-in-2016-says-analyst/

quote:

In addition to “Star Wars,” Nvidia makes GPUs for the latest installments of “Call of Duty,” “Assassin’s Creed,” “Rise of the Tomb Raider” and “Rainbow Six Siege.”

Also, this article is three weeks old. How does that stay posted? :iiam:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
About what I expect from investors.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Holy poo poo. That explains so much about their editorial cartoonist that I'd been wondering, such as how is that chucklefuck his own editor. Now I know.