Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Gwaihir posted:

Something's really wrong if a card at only 83 degrees drops to like sub 500 mhz or 163mhz limp mode clocks, that's only supposed to happen at the hard cutoff of 95+ degrees C. At 83 it should just be back to completely stock/non boosted clocks.

Sounds like buggy drivers or video BIOS if that type of behavior is actually happening and not something else.

That cutoff is actually ~90°C for the GP104, otherwise the card only scales down by 13Mhz steps or so to roughly stock and sits there at about 82°C. So yea, if a GP104 instathrottles to desktop clocks on reach 83°C you might want to start the RMA paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FaustianQ posted:

Looking at it again, the link for the supposed CF configuration says "2 cards", so I guess it is a bad CF driver? There seems to be other weird things too though.

Take for example the difference between these two
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11167781
and
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11167887

The first actually scores better in physics and combined, but has noticeably less graphics oomph. This repeats with the "480X" scores as well, though not so drastically. No, the real drastic difference comes when apparently a single card config beats the physics and combined scores handily. How do you get that to happen?
Maybe the person that did the tests only had the two different cards and was able to do some wacky mismatched CF setup with new drivers :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Never change, nvidia

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
At least there's a different background image? That will surely get those dastardly detectives off our scent!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

More effort on the slide header as well.

e: \/\/\/ yeah, it's lazy marketing but given the X-axis clearly isn't supposed to be more than generally indicative it seems likely it's a fair comparative of the two cards.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 24, 2016

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
As lazy and potentially deceptive as that is, it's 980 vs 1080 and 970 vs 1070. If they have a similar performance gap within 5% then the graph is roughly accurate.

I'd have thought the 1070 would have been a bigger improvement over the 970 though so the graph is a disappointment.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is it kind of suspicious that we can't see 3rd party reviewer benchmarks of the 1070 until the first wave of 1080s are sold out?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Some questionable numbers for benchmarks/temps/etc. on the 1080s, selling them before the 1070 info is released, and AMD stating they're targeting midrange for now...yee haw fresh die shrink, eh. The wait for Computex is painful.

3D thread crosspost, heads up for anyone else that might be in my spot:

After buying a USB card, a couple adapters, and spending a lot of time troubleshooting, I'm pretty sure I have a $600 paperweight Rift. I have a 7970 with only DVI and Displayport out (Rift is HDMI), the headset passes the connectivity checks, but I get a blank display except one time it gave some bright lines. Very similar to someone else on the Oculus forums who tried more adapters and such than I did and concluded:

quote:

Also From What I Understand, AMD and AIB Partners did not support DisplayPORT++ for the earlier GCN Cards.
Tested on 3 Different GPU's. (all GCN 1.0/1.1)
My Display Ports are 1.2, But I think the 2.0 Actives use DualMode which requires DP++.
So this Summer when AMD 400 Series Launches I'll Look at those.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

interesting video where they dissassemble and mount a 980TI liquid cooler on the 1080GTX to see what clocks can be achieved.

Apparently running stable around 2164Mhz compared to the max 2050 they ran on the FE.

While the performance increase was negligable this did however stop the card from throttling back all the time due to thermals.

You think aftermarket cards will see the same results or will they perhaps be able to pull away due to adding some more power to the card?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is it kind of suspicious that we can't see 3rd party reviewer benchmarks of the 1070 until the first wave of 1080s are sold out?

Suspicious isn't the word I'd go with but yea, they're clearly taking a strategy that drives sales of 1080 founders editions. Just as clear: the best strategy if you're going to buy a card is to wait for now, either for non-reference 1080s or a non-reference 1070.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Devil Tesla posted:

Suspicious isn't the word I'd go with but yea, they're clearly taking a strategy that drives sales of 1080 founders editions. Just as clear: the best strategy if you're going to buy a card is to wait for now, either for non-reference 1080s or a non-reference 1070.

the signs of a desperate company trying to cling on for dear life as the AMD overlords approach

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Mikojan posted:

interesting video where they dissassemble and mount a 980TI liquid cooler on the 1080GTX to see what clocks can be achieved.

Apparently running stable around 2164Mhz compared to the max 2050 they ran on the FE.

While the performance increase was negligable this did however stop the card from throttling back all the time due to thermals.

You think aftermarket cards will see the same results or will they perhaps be able to pull away due to adding some more power to the card?

Yeah, it seems there is a hard limit on voltage and power draw in the vbios (I think to prevent enthusiastic idiots from bricking a card ?), and all overclocks right now are power limited. This either points to very diminishing returns on clocks past 2.0Ghz, issues with this stepping of GP104 having problems with higher voltages/power draw, or Nvidia trying to increase margin by removing the necessary components to run GP104 hungrier and faster. GP104 also runs better period when it's colder at same clocks if I am understanding Techpowerup at all, possibly another factor?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mikojan posted:

Pretty sure I saw evidence it's definitely power limited.

Alchenar posted:

More effort on the slide header as well.

e: \/\/\/ yeah, it's lazy marketing but given the X-axis clearly isn't supposed to be more than generally indicative it seems likely it's a fair comparative of the two cards.

It's still real weird that they're apparently using literally the same HTML to draw each graph.

Incidentally apparently there's NV driver problems with Total Warhams. WTF.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah the current whql drivers (368.22) are causing problems with total warhammer for some cards. Like halving your fps problems.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mikojan posted:

I heard some people already did voltmods etc, and couldn't really get much higher clocks. Which isn't that surprising, recent intel's chips also haven't really been profiting all that much from better voltage/cooling for overclocking, since about haswell. I guess the smaller lithography requires decent power supply to run well anyway, so there's not that much gap any more.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

$909 :canada: :lol:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

This is slightly worrying if true. A OCd 1080 would maybe get around 20% more performance than a OCd 980ti. That 789 euro pricetag for the reference card would be a bit steep.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

That's actually not a huge ripoff for once, with the exchange rate that clocks in to around $690 USD.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's still a ton of cash and I hate our dollar.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mikojan posted:

This is slightly worrying if true. A OCd 1080 would maybe get around 20% more performance than a OCd 980ti. That 789 euro pricetag for the reference card would be a bit steep.

It's a shame if true, but that's the downside of higher clocks. It took pretty good aftermarket 980 Ti versions to get a 30% gain over stock performance, so we might still see those numbers.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

GP104 also runs better period when it's colder at same clocks if I am understanding Techpowerup at all, possibly another factor?

Running the chip (any chip) colder reduces voltage leakage, which for a power-limited card means you get more clock out of your power budget.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

Running the chip (any chip) colder reduces voltage leakage, which for a power-limited card means you get more clock out of your power budget.

And the G10 + 140mm AIO lives again! Assuming it fits, which I really hope it does.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

The parallels between GP104 and Hawaii are stunning at this point.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

It's still a ton of cash and I hate our dollar.

I easily saw 980ti's breaking the thousand dollar mark, so the premium priced founders edition 1080 coming over for $909 means that a price of $799 for the regular variants is possible.

Still way more than I want to pay for a video card, but it's not conversion + 30%, which really offends me when it happens.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

The parallels between GP104 and Hawaii are stunning at this point.

Inadequate blower.txt

Standard chip stuff, run the chip hot to give the cooler more temperature difference to work with, end up using more power for the performance, and throttle from high clocks.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

Some questionable numbers for benchmarks/temps/etc. on the 1080s, selling them before the 1070 info is released, and AMD stating they're targeting midrange for now...yee haw fresh die shrink, eh. The wait for Computex is painful.

3D thread crosspost, heads up for anyone else that might be in my spot:

After buying a USB card, a couple adapters, and spending a lot of time troubleshooting, I'm pretty sure I have a $600 paperweight Rift. I have a 7970 with only DVI and Displayport out (Rift is HDMI), the headset passes the connectivity checks, but I get a blank display except one time it gave some bright lines. Very similar to someone else on the Oculus forums who tried more adapters and such than I did and concluded:

What adapter are you trying? A DVI to HDMI adapter should work perfectly for the Rift. DP on the other hand is more of a pain in the rear end to convert as unless you buy an Active Converter, you are stuck at around 1080P/60Hz with the passive ones (I can get 1080P/100Hz out of mine, but the Monitor hates it and tells me every time I power it on).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In case anyone cares, it's looking like Fry's may have been a bust. Not long after they were posted here, the links to the products went down. As of this morning, my order changed from arriving June 1st to backordered.

So, either they didn't mean to have it up and backordered is a placeholder until they can actually sell them or their allotment went that quickly.

Won't know until Friday, but it's looking like a very supply constrained launch.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

bull3964 posted:

In case anyone cares, it's looking like Fry's may have been a bust. Not long after they were posted here, the links to the products went down. As of this morning, my order changed from arriving June 1st to backordered.

So, either they didn't mean to have it up and backordered is a placeholder until they can actually sell them or their allotment went that quickly.

Won't know until Friday, but it's looking like a very supply constrained launch.

Someone posted on a thread in Reddit that they called Frys and "backordered" is how the system shows preorders. Makes some sense, a preorder is a kind of back order.

So unless you actually get a cancellation notice I think you're good.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

What adapter are you trying? A DVI to HDMI adapter should work perfectly for the Rift. DP on the other hand is more of a pain in the rear end to convert as unless you buy an Active Converter, you are stuck at around 1080P/60Hz with the passive ones (I can get 1080P/100Hz out of mine, but the Monitor hates it and tells me every time I power it on).

Tried this one. Some more stuff from the other person with a 7970 in that Oculus thread, starts to get a little outside my experience level.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/29713/just-to-confirm-displayport-and-dvi-adapters-do-work#latest posted:

Talked with MSI, the DisplayPorts indeed are not capable of forwarding the HDMI Stream, while it can forward a Untouched DVI stream througj passive Adapter. (odd I know).

By Rule, Each GPU only has 2 HDMI/DVI Display Timing Clocks,
They are Usally Dynamic across DVI and HDMI Ports, and on cards with DualMode/DisplayPORT++ Ports that allow HDMI to passthrough the DP plugs, they will be dynamically assigned there as well.
So Passive Adapters will take one of the 2 Clocks.

The HDMI 1.4 Active Adapters appear to be converting the signal to a lower resolution and interlaced.

Has anyone else had any issues like this?
Mainly:
DVI-> HDMI (SL PINs), = One Screen off, other White and scrambled lines.
MiniDP->HDMI 1.4 PASSIVE, Nothing, As it requires DualMode which wasnt on most of the HD7900 Series GPUs.
MiniDP->HDMI 1.4 ACTIVE, Picture, Interlaced w/ Color Spacing issues.
MiniDP->HDMI 2.0 ACTIVE, No Picture on Rift, but Pictures on 4K and 1080P Screens.

Here's what the DVI->HDMI adapter route looks like for both of us, one screen off, the other:

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 24, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Someone posted on a thread in Reddit that they called Frys and "backordered" is how the system shows preorders. Makes some sense, a preorder is a kind of back order.

So unless you actually get a cancellation notice I think you're good.

Well, that's good to hear at least. I'm still only betting 50/50 as to whether will be shipped this week though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

Tried this one. Some more stuff from the other person with a 7970 in that Oculus thread, starts to get a little outside my experience level.

Here's what the DVI->HDMI adapter route looks like for both of us, one screen off, the other:

That is, strange.

You got a DVI to HDMI (Male) adapter? seems a bit odd. Usually you use a HDMI to DVI (Female) adapter and just plug the HDMI cable into that.

ALSO, check that the cable is plugged in solid in the rift itself. The cable going to the HMD is removable and it may have gotten slightly loose somehow possibly.

If that isn't the case, try another adapter if you can, or see if you can plug the Rift into any other system possibly. If you live near a Frys, pick up a GPU to "Try" as the no restocking fee makes it easy to test and return (Buy an open box/returned one to be less of a dick about it though). Though no promises if you get a good card, and end up wanting to keep it because VR.

IF it happens with another adapter/card though, then your rift does sound boned and needs an RMA.

Edit:READING that you both have 7970's with the same issue, if the adapters for DVI-HDMI don't work, then it does sound like the GPU's fault more than the Rift at this point... Weird for sure.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 24, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Dual-Mode DisplayPort is super hacky and I can definitely imagine it not working right with a system as performance-sensitive as the Rift. And active adapters seem like they definitely wouldn't work, too much latency.

HDMI is more or less just a more compact connector for DVI, the electrical specs and protocol are identical. There's some tiny differences at the margins but DVI is more or less a superset of HDMI functionality.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That rumoured pre-Computex AMD event in Macau is confirmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc1APLlPc14&t=1m49s

e: also

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 24, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

That rumoured pre-Computex AMD event in Macau is confirmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc1APLlPc14&t=1m49s

Two gens in a row with the x70 matching the previous x80 ti is pretty drat impressive. 1070 is going to be the card to have (like I predicted on day 1 based on absolutely nothing but ill pretend like im smart!)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
If that chart has any basis in reality I will buy a 1070 as soon as the non-founders edition is available. Looks mighty tasty.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

I really hate this marketing. 3%. Three motherfucking percent.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I wonder what equivalent to ramgate is going to happen this time around

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But it's so much better than the Titan, which is a 1000 dollar card! (never mind the aftermarket 980 Ti existing)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

welp 980 ti = 1070 more or less, that tanks any value they had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Decent 1070's will probably cost at least $400 if the 1080 is any gauge.