Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

my understanding is that if your cores running the game are maxed but your gpu isnt then your cpu may be holding back the gpu in that specific game. If you are getting poor fps and your gpu load isnt very high then your cpu is probably the issue.

something like a 50% gpu usage with 99% cpu usage and half the fps that other people are getting with that same gpu would indicate a bottleneck.

This assumes a properly optimized game that actually uses all the processing power it has available. Games vary wildly on how cpu or gpu intensive they are.

Yeah, this is the caveat, because you can be CPU bottlenecked at 25% utilization. And it's not really a binary thing,T(frame) = T(GPU) + T(CPU) so making either the GPU or the CPU faster will always have some impact on framerate. What people perceive as a "bottleneck" is when (say) T(GPU) gets to be like 10 times as big as T(CPU) and even if you double CPU performance (cutting T(CPU) in half) it only makes like a 5% difference in overall frametime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ijyt posted:

Don't see how it's a big deal in the end

Heatpipe without fluid is just a copper tube

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The fluid is really important to making a heatpipe conduct heat like literal black magic. A copper pipe is orders of magnitude less effective.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Works for evga lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Works for evga lol

Gotta buy that EVGA for that sweet customer service

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xthetenth posted:

The fluid is really important to making a heatpipe conduct heat like literal black magic. A copper pipe is orders of magnitude less effective.

Well I learned something today. Apparently it's not a very good overclocker either, but with the factory oc already in place is it really a concern?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Don Lapre posted:

Works for evga lol

Almost hurts to look at.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

HalloKitty posted:

Almost hurts to look at.

It's almost like a How Too of bad design.

1) Where the pipes connect with the chip should be a single flat block to avoid pipe gap.
2) Try to put the chip in the middle of the plate.
3) Don't let your fluid escape.
4) Don't use too much TIM.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't understand why this is difficult after years of making these things

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
TBF the tim is fine. Its not spread because it spread out that far, its just a thin square.

The problem with tim is usually too little, not too much.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ak Gara posted:

It's almost like a How Too of bad design.

1) Where the pipes connect with the chip should be a single flat block to avoid pipe gap.
2) Try to put the chip in the middle of the plate.
3) Don't let your fluid escape.
4) Don't use too much TIM.

You want to use plenty of TIM with an exposed die. Also "too much" TIM makes little to no difference in temps, too little on the other hand is quite bad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

To be fair, the die appears to only span 2.5 heatpipes.

But advertising 5 heatpipes is awesome!

Additionally, the space between the heatpipes on the Asus is much smaller than the EVGA (which also left a heatpipe hollow, so that pipe was worthless).

So, a good deal of heat should be able to conduct to those heatpipes on the end of the Asus cooler.

With such a small die, I'm not sure what else can be done. I guess you could layer a vapor chamber between the die and the heatpipes, or just use a vapor chamber with an open-fan cooler (some cards do that, right?)

Edit:

Huh, it just dawned on me that the GTX 1070 is a $379 MSRP card with 8 GB VRAM. With all the other stuff going on, that's easy to overlook.

It's neat to have a midrange card with a more usable VRAM than the Xbone, PS4, and PS4.5. Maybe now we'll see some developers really go ham on textures.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 30, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Huh, it just dawned on me that the GTX 1070 is a $379 MSRP card with 8 GB VRAM. With all the other stuff going on, that's easy to overlook.

To be fair, the 390 is around $300 and also has 8 gigs of VRAM. It would actually pretty awful if the new, high-end cards had any less.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/AMD/status/735902495952777216

Hopefully they'll tell us something concrete about Polaris :ohdear:

At this point I fully expect them to put some empty suit on stage who just stands there and waves for an hour. Maybe they'll actually have useful info... but I am worried that it's going to be a bunch of fluff and poo poo about how great Polaris is in theory, without actually providing any info.

Right now AMD is letting themselves be drowned out thanks to Pascal hype, and they seem to be fine with it. That's either confidence or complete incompetence, but I don't know which. I just want Polaris info. :ohdear:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Anything but incompetence earns you 2 dollars in the state lottery

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

Well I learned something today. Apparently it's not a very good overclocker either, but with the factory oc already in place is it really a concern?

Depends on how good the end user overclocks are. End users could take take a 980 Ti a pretty good way from most factory OCs.

And yeah, basically the heatpipe isn't a copper pipe, but a pipe lined with a wicking material and then an empty core. The goal is the cold end is cold enough the liquid is liquid at that temperature and the hot end is hot enough it evaporates. So the hot end's a source of vapor pressure that pushes the vapor to the cold end, and dries out the wicking material on that end, which draws liquid from the cold end to it, creating a cycle by which the liquid circulates and evens out the temperatures really well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea I dont really know why amd isn't letting people talk about the macau event. Must be bad

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

At this point I wonder how much of it is the aforementioned rumored yield issues, vs how much of it is AMD vastly overestimating others' expectations

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I just hope Polaris turns out to be good, I want to see prices pushed down.

Not that I have much faith in AMD at this point. :sigh:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Char posted:

How do you establish if a CPU can bottleneck a GPU? I've got to upgrade, at least, my 6890, but I don't know what to do with my i5-760.

CPU bottlenecking a GPU is game-dependent. If the game is a simulator or poorly-optimized, your CPU will always weight in heavily. Otherwise, not so much generally speaking.

Both will always have some weight either way. Ideally most of the heavy lifting in a game should be done by the GPU.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have a theory on why the Macau NDA date is the end of June. AMD's next fiscal quarter begins July, so if there *is* any damage by what they're revealing under NDA, it doesn't hurt the current quarter, and they have the entire next one devoted completely to Zen and its foibles.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have a theory on why the Macau NDA date is the end of June. AMD's next fiscal quarter begins July, so if there *is* any damage by what they're revealing under NDA, it doesn't hurt the current quarter, and they have the entire next one devoted completely to Zen and its foibles.

this is akin to rearranging deck chairs on the rms lusitania. nvidia is gonna launch a gtx 1070 right through amd's hull.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Makes sense. This is going to be disappointing, isn't it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Smithereens posted:

this is akin to rearranging deck chairs on the rms lusitania. nvidia is gonna launch a gtx 1070 right through amd's hull.

Hey, I never said it was a *happy* theory.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
AMD's real reason for the July launch is because they know they have an ace up their sleeve and want the petty Nverds to get high on their $400-700 purchases before releasing a $300 card that stomps them both :getin:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Smithereens posted:

Last I checked the 300+ and sub 300 dollar segments of the market were different parts but ha loving ha people are intent on a monopoly.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do wish people would stop saying that the FTC cares in the least about nVidia's business practices - especially in the context of AMD folding or getting out of the enthusiast graphics market. The Steam Hardware Survey alone shows that AMD's already dead (at least in the enthusiast space), and it's not because of mediocre products or missteps, it's because the vast majority of people still view their computers as appliances, not ~speshul snowflakes~ arranged into a perfect snowball that runs games at 144FPS. The FTC would not give one solitary speck of poo poo if nVidia started charging $500 for an "x70" card, $750 for an "x80" card, and $1000 and $1500 for the Ti and Titan respectively. And why? Because what we're engaged in is - wait for it - a hobby. Our custom-built towers are fundamentally no different than that Uncle of yours who throws thousands of dollars a year into ~HIS BOAT~ or ricers buying mods for their WRXes. AIB cards are a *luxury item*, the same as anything that only carries intrinsic value. It's around this time usually one would bring up the classic 'chicken vs. steak' example from ECON 102. Consoles are and always will be the 'chicken' option, while enthusiast PC gaming will always be 'steak.' It's only when people's Dells and Macbooks start to fail because nVidia used substandard soldering that anyone at the government level gives a drat, and not really even then, because laptops with discrete graphics are a shockingly small portion of the market.

AMD's possible/eventual/imminent passage will resound like a fart in the wind to everyone but us and stock insiders who short them as they die - OEM computers sold with discrete nVidia graphics will go up $200-500 from what they sell for now, and outside of our little clique, the only reaction will be 'wow, it seems like computers have gotten more expensive all of a sudden.'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 31, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Can we kill x86 while we're at it

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

xthetenth posted:

Last I checked the 300+ and sub 300 dollar segments of the market were different parts but ha loving ha people are intent on a monopoly.

honestly, i don't think that any (realistic) pc enthusiast believes amd is gonna come anywhere close to pascal. even though amd hasn't released any specs, you think they would've hinted at competition when pascal was released? it's been pretty quiet on their front and, for now, it seems clear the nvidia is way ahead and will have a dominant market share on the upper echelons of graphics cards going forward. fyi, i'm really not a team red/green person; i just go with the better tech. if amd actually made decent cpus or graphics cards i would definitely get them over intel/nvidia, but at this point amd looks like toast

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

We should buy and no matter what poo poo they release to protect them. Reward mediocrity

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

We should buy and no matter what poo poo they release to protect them. Reward mediocrity
Like buying Xeons for HPC clusters

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 31, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Like buying Xeons for HPC clusters

"I'll have you know that Xeons are manufactured with strict guidelines in place for operations under extreme conditions and *furthermore*..." :smugjones:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
In this increasingly divergent timeline, Radeon is bought by Intel and becomes a successful HPC competitor to Nvidia, while AMD's Zen and sale of Radeon provides the cash injection necessary for AMD to move far into the black. Later on, they buy out PowerVR who struggles with the limited and shrinking revenue from Apple iPads. The widespread adoption of Vulkan and passaage of time results in ARM and POWER becoming strong second tier competitors to x86 µarchs. This change in fortunes results in IBM acquiring Nvidia sometime in 2027, and by 2029 there is a strong 4 way competition between Intel/Radeon, IBM/Nvidia, AMD/PowerVR and Qualcomm in HPC, server, desktop and mobile.

Via and S3 remain irrelevant because they refuse to make chips out of silicon instead of woodpulp. No one cares.

Thanks for reading my futuretech fanfiction full of boundless optimism.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Powervr is really making that Dreamcast money last

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In the far future, Via and S3 are the ONLY ones still making chips out of silicon. Everyone else has moved onto InGaAs or whatever.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

So that year or so when a 290 or 290X was the best way to turn dollars into framerate? Agreed, did buy AMD then. I mean really when cards like the 780 and 780 Ti existed and were the 290 and 290X's competition...

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, this is the caveat, because you can be CPU bottlenecked at 25% utilization. And it's not really a binary thing,T(frame) = T(GPU) + T(CPU) so making either the GPU or the CPU faster will always have some impact on framerate. What people perceive as a "bottleneck" is when (say) T(GPU) gets to be like 10 times as big as T(CPU) and even if you double CPU performance (cutting T(CPU) in half) it only makes like a 5% difference in overall frametime.

This isn't true in most cases -- Amdahl's Law applies to serial workloads, not parallel ones. The real equation is "T_frame = MAX(T_gpu + T_cpu) + T_serial", where T_serial should be 0 for a well-designed engine.

Ideally, your GPU will be working on rendering a submitted workload at the same time your CPU is putting together a command list for the next batch of GPU work,
or doing non-rendering stuff for the frame (Physics, Gameplay/AI, whatever). In an ideal case both sets of tasks are well-balanced to your hardware, so T_gpu and T_cpu are pretty close to one another. When we talk about "bottlenecks", what is happening is that one of the two components (usually rendering) has a much higher workload than the other; however, since we are processing a given frame through both units, the faster workload (lower T_x) gets held up by the slower one (higher T_x), leaving that unit idle.

One easy way to identify this is by changing resolutions. Does your framerate improve going from 1440p to 1080p? Then you are GPU-bound: you can potentially improve your 1440p performance by up to that difference by improving your GPU. This isn't a perfect test (there are other types of GPU workloads that aren't affected by resolution) but it's a quick and easy first stop. Another easy test is to change the clock speeds on your GPU if you have an overclocking tool. This can let you dial in exactly how GPU-bound you are by seeing how much increasing (or decreasing) your clock speed affects framerate.

Gonkish posted:

At this point I fully expect them to put some empty suit on stage who just stands there and waves for an hour. Maybe they'll actually have useful info... but I am worried that it's going to be a bunch of fluff and poo poo about how great Polaris is in theory, without actually providing any info.

Right now AMD is letting themselves be drowned out thanks to Pascal hype, and they seem to be fine with it. That's either confidence or complete incompetence, but I don't know which. I just want Polaris info. :ohdear:

Hey, they had a T-shirt cannon at the Capcasin event

Hubis fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 31, 2016

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Fauxtool posted:

i2500k doesnt bottleneck a well OCed 980ti and that is comparable to a 1070.

Some games it does!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I have a chance to straight trade my R9-290 for a GTX 970, do I want to do this? When I bought it about 1.5 years ago, 970s were ~$330 and this 290 was $210. I'm assuming that this will be a performance upgrade, but you guys have been circlejerking how good Hawaii is the last couple pages and talking about AMD cards aging more gracefully in general. Also the whole "3.5GB" thing happened. At the end of the day, a 970 is still a faster GPU, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I have a chance to straight trade my R9-290 for a GTX 970, do I want to do this? When I bought it about 1.5 years ago, 970s were ~$330 and this 290 was $210. I'm assuming that this will be a performance upgrade, but you guys have been circlejerking how good Hawaii is the last couple pages and talking about AMD cards aging more gracefully in general. Also the whole "3.5GB" thing happened. At the end of the day, a 970 is still a faster GPU, right?

By little enough it matters a lot what games you play, and whether one/both can overclock.