Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Holy poo poo AMD, you had one job: Decent last-genish performance for a decent price and not terrible power. Now we get cards that may catch fire and aren't even fast doing it. I really want to love you AMD but drat it, give me something to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Ragingsheep posted:

So if the prices of a AIB 970 and AIB 480 are the same, is there any reason to get the 480? Freesync?

DirectX 12 performance.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72889-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-24.html

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Puddin posted:

Just remembered that my monitor is vga/ dvi inputs only.

Is there any induced lag or any issues with the display port to dvi adapters?

I'll probably end up getting a new monitor down the line but not for a while.

Nope, knock yourself out. And HDMI is pretty much an identical protocol so there's even less that can go wrong.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

So if the prices of a AIB 970 and AIB 480 are the same, is there any reason to get the 480? Freesync?

MadVR

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

syntaxfunction posted:

Holy poo poo AMD, you had one job: Decent last-genish performance for a decent price and not terrible power. Now we get cards that may catch fire and aren't even fast doing it. I really want to love you AMD but drat it, give me something to work with.

A GTX 970 is "decent last-genish performance" :confused:

~970 performance for $200 is a good card for the money.

Until it starts your computer on fire, anyway.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jm20 posted:

How much more will AIBs charge for actual heatsinks on an RX480?

Not much, even though 150w is disappointing it's not crazy by videocard standards, any of the completely ordinary 3 or 4 heatpipe coolers that the OEMs make by the thousands will work. And I can't think of any time where the first-wave cards with crappy blower coolers were cheaper. This isn't a new thing. I think it's an artifact of the extra step in the supply chain (chipmaker handing whole cards to OEMs rather than OEMs doing their own assembly).

Only get one of these AMD blower units if you're planning to replace your heatsink with watercooling or something.

xthetenth posted:

CPUs did. Now there's just the canonical one big core architecture, and Intel iterates on it very slowly.

Which is a good lesson for why being a "fan" of any of these companies is punch-yourself-in-the-dick stupid. The only thing that keeps them from giving you the shaft is a competitor.

I'm already kinda annoyed at nvidia for leveling the performance/price curve down to a straight line for their last couple generations, which they had the leeway to do based on AMD's weak results.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Deuce posted:

Until it starts your computer on fire, anyway.

That's my point. They were so close, but the whole power/fire thing just ruins it. Here's hoping r/AMD is right and it's a software thing. I somehow doubt it though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

The fact that it exceeds the PCIe specification for power consumption, on the other hand, is a severe problem. It's not good that it's overdrawing by 20% or so at stock settings but overclocking pushes it to >33% past the spec, which is reaching outright dangerous territory. The NEC and the UL consider the maximum peak current rating for wiring to be 25% past the continuous current rating, so there's no guarantee that it won't outright start a fire.

How did that get past AMD? Wish I'd been there for that conversation.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Threw the eVGA 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 on nowinstock -- I bet it's still mid-July, if not August until I can get one. :smith:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nope, knock yourself out. And HDMI is pretty much an identical protocol so there's even less that can go wrong.

Sweet as.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

repiv posted:

These guys tried overclocking the 480 with a beefier cooler: http://oc.jagatreview.com/2016/06/teaser-overclocking-amd-radeon-rx480-ke-1-4ghz-dengan-cooler-3rd-party/

They tested four 480 units and got one of them to 1.425ghz, but the other three only made it to 1.33-1.35ghz. Silicon lottery confirmed :woop:

Here is the super strange thing, look at the VDDC, it's 0.8187v. Leaked voltages indicated 1.0875v was going to be stock. There is no way GloFos process isn't bonkers all over the place right now, and it seems that the 850mhz validation rumors were true - AMD just amped the voltages up across the board so they could get the maximum number of usable chips at a specific frequency (1.267Ghz seems to be the best they found).

I'm betting on Polaris showing up again in the future, maybe with some updates from Vega, in the 500 series after Glofo has their poo poo together and they all run at lower voltages and better power consumption. I'm going to sit on my hands until late 2017 then, see how things shake out. I've got a 290X on water, no pressure on me.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hmm, I'm wondering what the AIBs will put out in terms of non-reference options, and if that solves the PCI power thing along with providing overclocking headroom. If not, I might jump on a 390X if I can find one on sale, since it seems to be outperforming the 480 in general.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 30, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Gonkish posted:

Hmm, I'm wondering what the AIBs will put out in terms of non-reference options, and if that solves the PCI power thing along with providing overclocking headroom. If not, I might jump on a 390X if I can find one on sale, since it seems to be outperforming the 480 in general.

It should only take a single 8 pin TBH, I doubt even the highest clocked variant will step outside the Bus+8 pin specification.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

movax posted:

Threw the eVGA 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 on nowinstock -- I bet it's still mid-July, if not August until I can get one. :smith:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6173-KR was briefly in stock about 20 minutes ago and I was lucky to get an order in.

It sold out in about 15 minutes.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://imgur.com/RYKE2v4

So Sapphire's cheese grater was the actual design they were going with, apparently. Meanwhile, it has a DVI and appears to be an 8pin according to some random reddit people.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Deuce posted:

Yeah the 970 is the definition of a decent video card, it couldn't be more average :confused:
Anything below that (with the possible exception of the late 380X) is dated or cheap crap. 400$ firesale 980ti/1070 performance is the new cool kid in town.

It's a good card but excuse us for not wetting our pants because AMD made a clone of a 2 year old card 100 bucks cheaper.

repiv posted:

These guys tried overclocking the 480 with a beefier cooler: http://oc.jagatreview.com/2016/06/teaser-overclocking-amd-radeon-rx480-ke-1-4ghz-dengan-cooler-3rd-party/

They tested four 480 units and got one of them to 1.425ghz, but the other three only made it to 1.33-1.35ghz. Silicon lottery confirmed :woop:

That's what the rumor mill from partner sources say, too.
Expect heavy binning/nickel&diming and 'beefy coolers' required to get into those regions.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 30, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gonkish posted:

http://imgur.com/RYKE2v4

So Sapphire's cheese grater was the actual design they were going with, apparently. Meanwhile, it has a DVI and appears to be an 8pin according to some random reddit people.

lets take a moment to really appreciate the whole picture here

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

What is even going on here? A stoner bookended by a nerd and GRRM?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Peanut3141 posted:

What is even going on here? A stoner bookended by a nerd and GRRM?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

The card does look a lot better in black than in silver.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The card does look a lot better in black than in silver.

Are you sure :confused:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Carbon steel colander

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I admit it really does look better in black, and it probably helps now that ive been staring at 100 angles of the reference cooler all day

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Now that I have spent weeks waiting for the reference benchmarks I get to wait weeks for non-reference benchmarks! Huzzah! :unsmith:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gonkish posted:

Now that I have spent weeks waiting for the reference benchmarks I get to wait weeks for non-reference benchmarks! Huzzah! :unsmith:

I really do feel bad for you gonkish :smith:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

movax posted:

Wait you run nowinstock? Thanks for your work, I ended up getting a non founders edition 1070 because of that website.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I really do feel bad for you gonkish :smith:

I feel like it's the fate of anyone who is in this bracket right now. Maybe the 1060 will shock the world, though. Never know.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Paul MaudDib posted:

170W is not problematic for decent PSUs. Obviously with a crap-tier PSU (like the ones that come in cases) you really have no guarantees, that "400W" PSU may crap out or explode at 200W, you just never know.

The RX 480 runs very hot with the reference cooler with default settings. If you turn up the fan, it runs a bit cooler but is also loud. An OC obviously makes everything worse.

The fact that it exceeds the PCIe specification for power consumption, on the other hand, is a severe problem. It's not good that it's overdrawing by 20% or so at stock settings but overclocking pushes it to >33% past the spec, which is reaching outright dangerous territory. The NEC and the UL consider the maximum peak current rating for wiring to be 25% past the continuous current rating, so there's no guarantee that it won't outright start a fire.
This is a good post and worth quoting if only just to make sure people notice it.

It's not a PSU issue at all. The total power draw of the RX480 is not high. The issue is the card drawing more power through the PCIe slot than specs allow for. This could very easily damage motherboards or yes even start a fire. I am sure it will be fine on plenty of motherboards that were built over spec. However I am sure there must be some cheap boards that cannot handle it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gonkish posted:

Solid Av/post combo.

I asked in the monitor thread, but does anyone here have any experience with Wasabi Mango monitors? I'm eyeing down the UHD 490 to replace my 720p projector as a TV/Games/Screen thing. Another one of those inexpensive Korean brands, but it supports freesync for 4k 42-60Hz, so it should last quite some time since I probably won't exit 1080p for another two years or so.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Have you actually read any reviews? Like all the way to the end?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

wicka posted:

yeah, clapped out hot card that almost loses to reference 970s at 160w on 14nm

For $200 ;)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Rabid Snake posted:

Wait you run nowinstock? Thanks for your work, I ended up getting a non founders edition 1070 because of that website.

Can't tell if maybe he just added it to his own alerts or what. I would have thought it would come up that was goon run earlier in this thread since so many of us were using it

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MrBond posted:

So wait, is the general consensus that the RX480 is a stinker? On the surface it seems reasonable for the price.

I'm coming from a 7870 so maybe I'm easy to appease.

In strictly perf/price, it's great.

The reference version power, cooling and noise is a stinker, if even you arent interested in OC. If you are, it's an unmitigated Class-AAA disaster.

For people already with GTX 970 level or higher cards it's a snoozefest. For people still stuck with <=$200 cards they might as well wait for the GTX 1060 while also for AIB versions of the RX480.

The big problem for AMD is they need a slam dunk product like the 4850/4870 to put pricing pressure on Pascal and they still don't have one; beating an almost 2 year GTX 970 simply isn't enough. Right now the window of opportunity with the RX480 is extremely limited and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that NV can easily make the 1060 be the all around better product and the market will more than willing to pay a premium barring supply issues. If that is even cheaper at like <=$200, nobody will be talking about AMD in a month.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 30, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
The thing that worries me about the inefficiency of the RX 480 is that if it's using as much power as a 1070 for less than half the performance what sort of power consumption are we going to be looking at for the 490? This sort of thing seems to indicate something wrong with the chip design or fab process, in the past both Nvidia's cards and AMDs have drawn roughly the same power for the performance they gave, Nvidia just tended to low ball the TDPs on their cards to some extent, this time it's different and AMD's card is just really inefficient. That does not bode well for the rest of their line up, I really hope I'm wrong here because Nvidia needs their feet held to the fire.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yup...

Here's hoping it's just some serious teething pains with the new silicon and they iron it out for vega

Oh look, now even im used to the idea that vega not having been released a month ago is cool now

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I also didn't see it in the updates from today, but AdoredTV put out a vidya on the RX 480:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IcRF201cEc

Doesn't look like a shitshow, but he does indicate he's "not blown away". He also has the good decency to say he was wrong on some earlier predictions with regards to overclocking. Performance to dollar is also good, evidently. I'm definitely interested in DX 12 performance in the future. Hopefully it's not just because of rebrands that AMD cards have aged rather gracefully.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

yeah, clapped out hot card that almost loses to reference 970s at 160w on 14nm

For $200 ;)

I have not read a single review yet that didn't recommend the card. So if you drew the conclusion above then, no, you did not read any reviews.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

sauer kraut posted:

It's a good card but excuse us for not wetting our pants because AMD made a clone of a 2 year old card 100 bucks cheaper.

I wasn't suggesting pants-wetting? :confused:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The thing that worries me about the inefficiency of the RX 480 is that if it's using as much power as a 1070 for less than half the performance what sort of power consumption are we going to be looking at for the 490? This sort of thing seems to indicate something wrong with the chip design or fab process, in the past both Nvidia's cards and AMDs have drawn roughly the same power for the performance they gave, Nvidia just tended to low ball the TDPs on their cards to some extent, this time it's different and AMD's card is just really inefficient. That does not bode well for the rest of their line up, I really hope I'm wrong here because Nvidia needs their feet held to the fire.

That's why I hope it's a glofo or Polaris being targeted for lower clocks like Carrizo thing or even just a slamming enough volts into the poor chip that their yield problems went away. All are definite possibilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

wicka posted:

Yes. I should mention that my post was a bit hyperbolic. Performance wise everything matches up with what I expected. Pricewise I can grab an 8GB model here for AU$380 or so. That is very good. I like the RX480. What I don't like, and the only thing stopping me right now, is this power draw via bus issue. Yes, it's most likely fine. But I don't want "most likely" or "should be". If I'm spending any amount of money on a card I want to know I can put it in and not have to worry.

The 480 is still high on my list, and I hope this is just a software thing or a fluke or something. But I really don't feel like I'm a bad guy for expecting to not have to worry about these sort of things. The RX480 is fine for me. It gives 970 level performance for a great price (Even in Australia now!) and that's good. It just has some teething issues it seems, and I'm a bit disappointed at what that main issue is.

I'm not trying to vilify AMD. If anything I'm not wanting to come off as "RX480 is perfect!" even though for me it basically is.

Edit: Also I don't overclock and thus don't care for it outside of a good factory overclocked card with a full warranty. So the 480 not having headroom doesn't even register as an issue for me.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 30, 2016