Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Given all the heat and power in the 480, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that AMD is touting the fact that the card is going to get slower as you use it as a "feature" ( because they are pushing the clocks above what would normally be practical and then stepping it down over time):

http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2016/06/Radeon-RX-480-Presentation-VideoCardz_com-5.jpg

So look forward to losing 3% more perf after a year or so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

for anyone who ordered a 1070/1080 from newegg, did it ship from their city of industry warehouse? it's been less than a day and i'm already itchy af.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wicka posted:

for anyone who ordered a 1070/1080 from newegg, did it ship from their city of industry warehouse? it's been less than a day and i'm already itchy af.

Yep.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Truga posted:

Was talking to a friend that works with AIB partners a lot. Here's what he said on the current Pascal shortages (translated from moonspeak):

hosed up if true lmbo
How did Nvidia shaft partners with Maxwell?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Probably didn't tell them about new cards early enough and they have a shitload of maxwell stock they can't sell at good prices? I dunno.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

wicka posted:

Mines shipped from City of Industry. I figure at this point supply is limited enough that don't have enough time to distribute cards across their various warehouses. My Gigabyte Windforce 1070 is supposed to arrive today, can't wait to see how soundly it demolishes my 770. Games won't tell me "No, you can't play at these settings you 2GB VRAM pleb" anymore.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Mine shipped from Keasbey but I'm on the east coast. Arriving today, so excited :getin:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Mines shipped from City of Industry. I figure at this point supply is limited enough that don't have enough time to distribute cards across their various warehouses. My Gigabyte Windforce 1070 is supposed to arrive today, can't wait to see how soundly it demolishes my 770. Games won't tell me "No, you can't play at these settings you 2GB VRAM pleb" anymore.

Man I have the same card as you, and I'm considering getting this or a 480. I guess by the time the 1070 is reliably in stock and I don't have to buy a founders edition, the 480 power draw issue will be resolved somehow.

*sigh* I hate waiting.

The weird thing is that my computer runs my games perfectly fine, my SFF case just recommends a blower style card.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Hubis posted:

So look forward to losing 3% more perf after a year or so!
I think you're misreading the slide. Or I'm misreading it. I believe they're saying GPU's require a 2-3% clockspeed margin to accommodate aging as a general statement, not just their GPU's or Polaris 10 only.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wicka posted:

ah, i'm a dummy, it literally says it's shipping from CA

Hubis
May 18, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think you're misreading the slide. Or I'm misreading it. I believe they're saying GPU's require a 2-3% clockspeed margin to accommodate aging as a general statement, not just their GPU's or Polaris 10 only.

Right, but the way I am reading it they are replacing that margin with an adaptive POST time calibration, so the clocks will start high and then degrade rather than have the safety margin built into the clock speed.

E: "we want our cards to self calibrate and adapt to changes over time - good or bad" then " higher out of the box clock speed"

Hubis fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 30, 2016

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I just realized I only bought my GTX 970 in November of 2014 and I'm already stepping it up to a 1080. That's the shortest amount of time that I've had a card.

Is it worth it to sell my 970? I've never sold anything like that so there is this feeling of :effort:.

Ingenium posted:

So I have settled on getting myself a 1070 (whenever it is not sold out) but I am having trouble with the large number of brands. Are there particular 1070's I should avoid and some that I should try and get my hands on? As far as I can tell it seems like different costs for roughly the same thing.
I've used EVGA for years, ever since I bought their GTX 260 Core 216.

I've seen some pictures of MSI's 1080 that was ginormous. Make sure whatever you buy can fit in your case.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

More 480 overclocking with custom cooling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7BibxgQSM

tldr: 1350mhz

Inverness posted:

Is it worth it to sell my 970? I've never sold anything like that so there is this feeling of :effort:.

Do you like having $200?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Inverness posted:

Sell it in SA-Mart. Then you don't have to fuss with ebay.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
1080 prices in the UK have skyrocketed this last week or so - is this cause of the stupid leave vote or just demand?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Hubis posted:

Right, but the way I am reading it they are replacing that margin with an adaptive POST time calibration
I'm reading it as their slide is touting their voltage adjustment methodology to deal with aging though instead of letting clocks go down 2-3% after a while. Why else bring up the whole voltage adjustment part and slap in that giant graph if they're just going to cut clocks anyways like apparently everyone else was anyways?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'm reading it as their slide is touting their voltage adjustment methodology to deal with aging though instead of letting clocks go down 2-3% after a while. Why else bring up the whole voltage adjustment part and slap in that giant graph if they're just going to cut clocks anyways like apparently everyone else was anyways?

Why not adjust the voltage up right away so that you get a few years of better performance before it degrades to the level they're starting out at now? Rather than holding at 100, 100, 100 they could do 102, 101, 100 and people would have a better value overall.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Blackfyre posted:

1080 prices in the UK have skyrocketed this last week or so - is this cause of the stupid leave vote or just demand?

I would imagine a little from column A, and a little from column B.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

HalloKitty posted:

I would imagine a little from column A, and a little from column B.

Demand spike pricing I don't mind as it passes but the loving pound better get some power back I don't want my PC stuff costing way more as well as basic living stuff

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Blackfyre posted:

Demand spike pricing I don't mind as it passes but the loving pound better get some power back I don't want my PC stuff costing way more as well as basic living stuff

I moved a while back to a different European country, but the majority of my savings are still in Sterling! Yay!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Peanut3141 posted:

I'd be somewhat worried about a consistent out-of-spec draw from the PCI-E slot. Just wait until a non-reference design comes out with custom cooling and 8-pin power. I would not buy reference unless the excessive power draw from the motherboard is shown to be an anomaly confined to a few samples or is otherwise resolved.

Yeah, I ordered one of the XFX cards from Newegg yesterday morning before all this really broke; at this point I think that once it arrives I'll just return it instantly and then buy the next non-reference 480 that's as you describe, just to be on the safe side -- if only because if DX 12 starts taking off, running extra video cards might start to make more sense.

What an incredibly annoying clusterfuck. At least I've still got another month or so before the new Deus Ex comes out, but I'd really have liked to have an upgraded card now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Forgive my ignorance! So if I'm running a game that's currently maxed out at 60fps to avoid tearing but occasionally drops to 45ish in effect-heavy areas, then upgrade to a 144hz GSync monitor, would those effect-heavy areas see improvements in the actual FPS output since the GPU wouldn't be limited by the monitor's refresh rate? Or is it simply the illusion of smoother rendering due to GSync that makes those areas look better, and the actual framerate wouldn't change?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Blackfyre posted:

Just hope across the channel and buy one in France!

Oh, wait, gently caress!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Forgive my ignorance! So if I'm running a game that's currently maxed out at 60fps to avoid tearing but occasionally drops to 45ish in effect-heavy areas, then upgrade to a 144hz GSync monitor, would those effect-heavy areas see improvements in the actual FPS output since the GPU wouldn't be limited by the monitor's refresh rate? Or is it simply the illusion of smoother rendering due to GSync that makes those areas look better, and the actual framerate wouldn't change?

The latter - your framerate will still be 45fps, but it will appear smoother because the monitor will display each frame with consistent spacing rather than jittering between 16ms and 32ms.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

I moved a while back to a different European country, but the majority of my savings are still in Sterling! Yay!
:rip:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blackfyre posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GBPEUR:CUR

Our money is literally worth 10% less than what it was this time last week.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Alchenar posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GBPEUR:CUR

Our money is literally worth 10% less than what it was this time last week.

I'm pretty sure gibbo over at ocuk was saying that pretty much his entire margin on 480 preorders disappeared.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Subjunctive posted:

Rather than holding at 100, 100, 100 they could do 102, 101, 100 and people would have a better value overall.
Well sure I'd have no problem with that but is that latter scenario what AMD is actually doing here or what? I thought I understood what the slide was getting at but now things seem muddled.

I mean the context is the guy I was responding to was phrasing things as if you were going to lose 2-3% performance which would be technically (in a very pedantic and pointless way that I'd dislike) true in your latter scenario too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ocuk stands of OC UKraine now right? :v:

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Some really good deal for mainland europeans on OCUK, 10% off firesale before England sinks.

EDIT: Asus 980ti Strix for £359, pretty nice deal.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

repiv posted:

The latter - your framerate will still be 45fps, but it will appear smoother because the monitor will display each frame with consistent spacing rather than jittering between 16ms and 32ms.

Of note is that once you have an 144Hz monitor (but no GSync or Freesync for whatever reason), the jitter is between 7ms and 16ms, so it's always half.

(I bring this up to illustrate that GSync and Freesync vendor lock in is IMHO not such a big issue for 144Hz monitors)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blackfyre posted:

I bought a 1070 from scan on tuesday and shortly after all the 1070s got a bit of a price bump, so its possibly my fault.

Also are there any guides to the new fancy overclocking thingy on these cards, it doesn't seem to be available on the current version of afterburner tho?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Well sure I'd have no problem with that but is that latter scenario what AMD is actually doing here or what? I thought I understood what the slide was getting at but now things seem muddled.

I mean the context is the guy I was responding to was phrasing things as if you were going to lose 2-3% performance which would be technically (in a very pedantic and pointless way that I'd dislike) true in your latter scenario too.

What I meant was that (assuming my interpretation is correct - that's a lot of specific technical detail to extract from a leaked slide) the numbers you are seeing now are even more of a stretch aside from the "it's super hot and operating at/beyond the power density border" - they are also cutting into the safety margin other chips have traditionally had.

Now, they are doing it in a smart way. They are wringing more performance out of the chip at launch, and thus providing better value to the end user; however, it's also another reason the clocks are even worse than they appear. Unlike a 970, your performance 12 months from now might (?) not be as good as it is at launch. If the RX480 is targeted at people who upgrade ever 3+ years, this might be a big deal. If they use the same technology in Vega, does this mean that the crowd that likes to buy the latest Big Chip and then flip it for resale is going to see even more diminishing value because their chip will have literally "decayed" in capability over time? All this is compounded by the fact that running hot/at high voltage (both problems AMD faces with their recent offerings) tend to cause chips to age faster?

There are some explanations, not all of which are devious or catastrophic. First, going back to the "Apple First" theory, and how Apple likes to down clock to improve reliability, maybe this feature is just a little gravy to ensure lower failure rates to make Apple happy, and won't dramatically influence the chips unless you are over clocking. On the other hand, maybe AMD is seeing enough chips operating near their maximum that they need this feature to hit reasonable clocks and not have to worry about a ton of chips failing in 6-12-18 months under normal operating conditions.

I don't know that it's any kind of big scandal or something people should be worried about, but it really does raise a lot of questions for me (of the academic nature at least). It would be really interesting to see some longitudinal benchmarks of a bunch of 480s one or two years from now and see how they compare.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

loving newegg warehouse inventory

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thinking along the lines of the earlier "4K is probably overkill right now" conversation and also hearing all of the benefits of GSync, I'm now intrigued by the idea of pairing a GTX 1080 with a 1440p GSync monitor. Anybody have any "swear-by" recommendations in this category?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

snuff posted:

Some really good deal for mainland europeans on OCUK, 10% off firesale before England sinks.

EDIT: Asus 980ti Strix for £359, pretty nice deal.

They have a 970 Strix for £229 with a £20 rebate, so £209 total. Seems like a bargain.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Captain Yossarian posted:

[H]ard OC comments section migrated to SA for this most recent release I see. Hyperbole piled high

yeah there's nothing interesting about this card at all to butthurt about

2016 - We all just googled the word hyperbole

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Siets posted:

Thinking along the lines of the earlier "4K is probably overkill right now" conversation and also hearing all of the benefits of GSync, I'm now intrigued by the idea of pairing a GTX 1080 with a 1440p GSync monitor. Anybody have any "swear-by" recommendations in this category?

If you're looking for the best overall experience, I'd recommend stepping down to a 1070 and spending even more on a monitor to get a 144Hz IPS monitor, or maybe even a 34" ultrawide if you play lots of shooters that support it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
While I agree the 1070 is very suitable for 1440p I just ... can't outright recommend it for 144hz 1440p. Yes you are losing on performance per dollar. But a 1080 is simply better and it is one of the few scenarios where the user will use every ounce of GPU available, always.

The 1070 is a good financial choice for high framerate 1440p. The 1080 is definitely a better performance choice imo. I'm stressing out my 1070 at 1440p 60 hz, but its not exactly surprising since its basically the same as a 980ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

If you're looking for the best overall experience, I'd recommend stepping down to a 1070 and spending even more on a monitor to get a 144Hz IPS monitor, or maybe even a 34" ultrawide if you play lots of shooters that support it.

I'm sensitive to motion sickness, so ultrawide I'm unsure of because I've never used one before and am not sure if the extra periphery would trigger that or not. What is the difference between 144Hz and GSync? I know that's the refresh rate, but can GSync also work at those refresh speeds? I thought the eye couldn't really tell a difference beyond 60Hz or so?