Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

objects in mirror posted:

Dang, really disappointed in the 4k performances for ultra setting and such. At 1080p it really doesn't make sense to even upgrade from my 2gb 770 gtx, though I might do so if nvidia or AMD end up offering something that can deliver at least 1.5x the performance for $150 or less.

At 1080p the 1070 seems like a waste unless you want to drive a panel with higher than 60hz refresh rates (or 1440p).

I think it matters that we aren't getting a card here that's cost-effective at 4k because eventually 4k will become the standard for monitors the same way 1080p is now (sorry 1440p). I'm guessing a card that can drive 4k monitors in gaming at reasonable performance levels will have to be within commodity level prices before monitor manufacturers start mass producing 4k monitors and selling them at lower prices. Dang, Pascal = total meh.

Yes, I'm salty that I will not at this time be buying electronics I can reasonably justify to myself as being necessary upgrades.

This is where I was at as well. Glad I'm not the only one a bit disappointed in the 4K benchmarks.

Still, it's a massive boost over my current GTX 770, and I'm more interested in VR than going full 4K at the moment. I'm thinking of just spoiling myself with a 1080 now, and looking at doing an upgrade to 4K in another 3 years once the GPUs trivialize it, HBM is standard, and the rest of my PC is in need of an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FaustianQ posted:

I'd at least wait for AIB versions of the 1080 with a better cooler and better power delivery, based on reviews the Founder Edition significantly hampers the 1080's potential, such that they aren't impressively better than OC 980ti's.

Which reviews can I look at to read more about this? I was thinking of going Founders preorder because I don't want to wait and I'm scared all the buttcoin miners are going to hoover up all of the stock. Is the Founders card really that gimped? A lot of the talk in this thread goes way over my head unfortunately.

vvv Well that's good news at least, thanks. gently caress :butt:coins.

Siets fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 18, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been reading more about open-fan vs blower-fan vs liquid cooled and all that. It seems to me that blowers offer the advantage of a lower profile and consistent cooling, albeit not the best at cooling, whereas open-fan is the best cooling you can get but tends to be really bulky and hard to either SLI or fit in smaller form factor cases. Do I have that right?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EdEddnEddy posted:

Dammit where the hell did this come from? A 15.6" Asus with a 980M? Only MSI was making a really slim sick looking 980M powered 15"er before. drat...
I really want to see this with a 1080M in it though before I bite on something like this.

Sager and Gigabyte also make a similar "980M in a slim profile" laptops. I picked one up last year. Fantastic performance.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So is anybody currently living the New American Dream? By that I mean playing Total War: Warhammer on a system with a GTX 1080 on a 30+ inch 4k monitor?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DarkEnigma posted:

I'm running two on a 65 inch sony 4k tv :smuggo:

:aaaaa:

How close do you sit to that? Also is the latency terrible on a screen that size?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think Brian Fargo left the company to some French vultures (Caens) after some expensive "FMV is the future!!" mistakes and literally all revenue that Interplay made after a certain point was being funneled into the Caens' magnificent failure of a company, Titus (better known for the worst 16 bit ports known to man and the developer of the eternal classic Superman 64)

poo poo was pretty hilarious

:stare:

How the mighty have fallen... Freespace and Freespace 2 have always been near and dear to my heart. Sad things went the way they did.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxtool posted:

people are always talking about poorly optimized games, but what are some good ones? Games that run well on mediocre pre-builts with a $100 gpu but scale up visually with with much better computers.

The only one i can think of is the most recent final fantasy mmo. It looked and ran very well on my friends pretty average $600 computer but looked amazing on my then new 980ti

On that note because I've always wondered this as well: what is a well-optimized game on the technical level? That is, what should good programmers be including (or excluding) in terms of design decisions / features / etc to produce a well-optimized game?

I know some things are obvious such as hiding polygons from render that are otherwise outside the player's FOV, using dynamic level of detail to reduce polygon counts on objects far away where the player wouldn't notice the loss of detail, and optimizing assets like foliage and other doodads to only render near the player where they would be visible. I'm assuming there's much, much more to it than that though.

Siets fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 28, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thinking along the lines of the earlier "4K is probably overkill right now" conversation and also hearing all of the benefits of GSync, I'm now intrigued by the idea of pairing a GTX 1080 with a 1440p GSync monitor. Anybody have any "swear-by" recommendations in this category?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

If you're looking for the best overall experience, I'd recommend stepping down to a 1070 and spending even more on a monitor to get a 144Hz IPS monitor, or maybe even a 34" ultrawide if you play lots of shooters that support it.

I'm sensitive to motion sickness, so ultrawide I'm unsure of because I've never used one before and am not sure if the extra periphery would trigger that or not. What is the difference between 144Hz and GSync? I know that's the refresh rate, but can GSync also work at those refresh speeds? I thought the eye couldn't really tell a difference beyond 60Hz or so?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SweetBro posted:

gently caress YOU EVGA!

You send me a loving notification that the FTW is in stock, I rush over to your lovely site and by the time I'm done deal with all the loving retarded redirects you kept on throwing at me that poo poo is sold out. God fuckingn drat your site is garbage, how loving hard is it to have a god drat pay with paypal button, ship to paypal address. Why the gently caress do I have to log in and make a loving account, holy loving poo poo if you're going to make me jump through your garbage onboarding process at least make your site not loving poo poo.

jkeluje kglamngioalwbkryhnwpoifen wyjmh9 p8gtz2hj67myn -g3ts789yubmn890gefwvmnyhaiuonumghj8apbojm giop4wanhy g bpioz

:negative:

Looks like NVidia causing meltdowns too! :gary:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't trust MicroCenter's website for a second.

Employee told me that there is often a 24hr delay between their actual stock and what the website shows. A truck came in this morning loaded with MSI TFs, ASUS Strixs, and numerous other Founders AIBs. I called because I saw a single Founders available according to their site, but when the CSR checked her in-store computer she said they had 10+ on the shelves that came off a truck this morning.

Naturally I rushed over and grabbed me a 1080 ASUS Strix. :pcgaming::hf::getin:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Any Vive owners: curious if you have tried playing with that beta supersampling feature and how high you can drive it on the new generation of cards?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Enos Cabell posted:

Put the money into your display if you can, it makes way more sense long term. I'd shoot for a 1440p @ 144 g-sync display now, and cut what corners you need to on the video card.

It feels like the pricing will not budge on this tier of monitor. Ideally I would go for a 1440p @ 144 Hz IPS G-Sync, but they all cost in excess of $700. Feels like they have sat at that price for years now, or maybe I am just misremembering. Why has TN panel technology come down so much, yet IPS remains expensive?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lockback posted:

It might get better in a few months? Otherwise try to get a used 980ti. That would be my advice.

Buttcoins are probably here to stay. Take a brief moment to understand the mindset that you are up against here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4v8rLEI4Pg

:v:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly that first DXR example made by EA looked stunning, but I think it is way too early in the tech to say that it is obsoleting current gen hardware with the next gen. Considering the current DX12 adoption rates alone, I would not expect developers to be utilizing DXR for years yet (unless your that one indie dev who wants to make the next Myst who has all the time in the world to focus on A. puzzles and B. experimental graphics.) Microsoft also specifically stated that the API leaves pretty much all of the interpretation of the feature up to the hardware engineers, so even if next gen cards "support" DXR hardware acceleration you can bet that there will continue to be multiple iterations for years to come.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a chance we ever see tensor cores in GPUs used for something other than graphics? I’m thinking along the lines of a hardware-accelerated StarCraft AI that utilizes deep learning to create a local difficulty gradient for the player’s PC. Or is that sort of thing much more likely to just be built on the backside by the developer and then shipped with the product? Just trying to get a better handle on what possibilities exist for the tech.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You guys voted for Trump :shrug:

The majority of us actually didn't vote for him, but because a bunch of dumb outdated voting laws in our country favor the ~Mythical Swing States~ he ended up being our president. :shrug:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Pulled the trigger on an AOC Agon AG271QG monitor last night. Mark me down as yet another "completely sold by G-Sync after using it" consumer.

$600 was steep, but for some reason felt more doable than $700+ which is what ever other monitor in that tier (27" + 1440p + IPS + 144Hz/165Hz + G-Sync) wants for price. The one feature I was curious about on the ViewSonic offering at this tier (XG2703-GS) was ULMB, but I decided another $100 was not worth it for a feature that likely will not make much noticeable difference with G-Sync already in play. Anybody have / use / swear-by ULMB? As long as I've got a good GPU running 100+ FPS on most games with a refresh rate capable of displaying at that FPS, I cannot imagine ULMB really doing that much more for the experience?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

repiv posted:

ULMB and G-Sync are mutually exclusive, even if your monitor has both you can only use one at a time. It does make motion very crisp by LCD standards but I find it reduces the brightness too much to be practical on my XB271HU.

It's going to be great on HDR monitors with super bright backlights though.

Oh I didn't realize they were mutually exclusive. Thanks for the clarification. I feel way better about my purchase now.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann posted:

Hairworks definitely has an impact on performance. It trashes nVidia cards, and figuratively murders AMD cards.

What is it about the programming of hairworks that it requires video cards to peer through the fabric of all creation and glimpse the face of god and/or the great old ones in order to do the rendering job? I feel like good hair graphics should just be another form of abstracted rag doll physics which has been around since forever, but apparently the programmers thought “naw, let’s simulate each and every fiber right down to the molecular keratin it’s composed of and make sure to account for Brownian motion too!”

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

Shut up with the politics poo poo.

I mean, I’m not surprised it keeps coming up. Cost is such a central topic of GPUs right now what with buttcoins and RAM cartels. Trade policy is going to heavily factor into that and I enjoy reading people’s takes on the daily developments in that arena.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Premium shrouds for everyone! :shepface:

Now this is podracing engineering! :pilot:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Avalanche posted:

Graphics cards and videogames are sort of pissing me off nowadays anyways. I bought a 1080Ti last August and there still are no videogames out or that are coming out in the near future that can really stress the hell out of this thing.

Looks like somebody hasn’t gotten on the whole “unoptimized early access shitshow” train! :v:

Seriously, Ark: Survival Evolved and games of its ilk will murder your video card.

Comedy option: Star Citizen.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ouhei posted:

Well I finally sorted out my GPU saga this week. To recap, my 3 year old GTX 970 died out on me. I replaced it with a GTX 1060 and after chatting with some people in this thread decided to redo my case setup to get better airflow. I probably ended up going a little overboard, but I wanted to make sure I can keep temps down over time and keep the new card healthy.

Ended up with a NZXT h200i: 2 140mm fans up front and 2 120mm fans in the rear/top.

Temps are basically where they were at when I was running the old case totally open so I'm happy with the results.

What did you end up doing for your airflow configuration? I was air-ignorant when I built my current PC and have been planning to add more fans and redo their flow configuration. Did you go with 3-in-1-out for high internal pressure to keep the dust out, or did you do 1-in-3-out for low internal pressure?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

sauer kraut posted:

Germans did a gaming CPU comparison with top tier cards in 1080p to avoid the GPU limiting too much. Long story short 8700K is in league of its own for high FPS scenarios.
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-09/ryzen-7-2700x-core-i7-8700k-geforce-rtx-2080-ti/
You can click through individual titles in the headers.

As a GTX 1080 haver, I want to upgrade from my i5 4670K. At this point that processor has to be holding me back, right? Those 8700K FPS graphs are drat impressive.

The Intel security design flaw coupled with artificially high RAM prices has made it really hard to justify a total platform flip for me. Even 9th gen Intel doesn't look very exciting as it sounds like it will likely still be 14nm like Coffee Lake, albeit more optimized I guess. Decisions... :(

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gyrotica posted:

I'm in a similar boat, but with an i7 4770k and the 8700 appears to be about 50% faster. i9 should be a little better than the 8700, and double my core count to boot.

I can't really justify the price of an upgrade from the 1080 though - not when my monitor only overclocks to 75hz and I game at 1440p. If I'm still relatively flush with the next iteration of GPUs, I'll probably look into upgrading both the card and my monitor.

I recently went up to 144 Hz / 1440p with the AOC Agon AG271QG, and found that I very much can tell the difference between 60 FPS and 144 FPS and... there is no going back. I'm now jonesing for a 100+ FPS average in everything I can and sometimes that's tough to pull off even with a 1080. I can't justify the perf/$ on a 2080 Ti and going from a 1080 to a 2080 doesn't feel like that much of a bump to be worth the effort or money either. I also play a lot of online / simulation / multiplayer games where CPU can tend to rear its head, so waiting for an ideal platform upgrade and riding Pascal for a few more years seems like the correct call. I guess we'll see what gets revealed in October and go from there.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Risky Bisquick posted:

What games don't you get past 100 fps @1440p with the 1080?

All of the early-access horribly unoptimized bullshit that I cannot stop myself from buying and playing. :v:

PUBG, Ark, Conan Exiles, DayZ, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Total War: Warhammer II to name a few are all titles that give me a lot of trouble right now. I feel so dirty posting this list. My taste in games is awful.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VelociBacon posted:

Ironically the end result of all this tariff keep-production-at-home poo poo is no different from if you just taxed everyone a few percent more and gave out of work industrial workers more welfare. Everyone in the states + it's major trade partners now suffers for the sake of job creation in that country. Ugh.

I’m no MAGAer, but how else do we combat slave labor industry at China’s scale than employing tariffs? Sitting around jerking off to “the free market” while Foxconn employees commit suicide and are replaced by children seems the worst of the two options to me.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Scionix posted:

I just want 1440p 144 fps

I will buy whatever hardware is appropriate for that

which is high end right now

if you dont have 144fps tier hardware dont do it because unfortunately you cannot go back

:smith::hf::smith:

Black Ops 4 is apparently massively CPU-bound. I sit around 70 FPS with my GTX 1080 and 4670K. My friend has a 1070 and an 8700K and sits comfortably at 130 FPS.

That 9900K lookin' realllll fine right about now...

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Scionix posted:

I haven't found it to be CPU bound; really?

I have 2700X + 1080ti and I hit 144+ frames when I'm in contained areas. The problem is when you get outside and are looking at the massive draw distance(because it's a battle Royale) you drop down to 75-90 fps.

This is on mostly medium/low settings btw

Then again the draw distance thing may be a CPU performance issue but it doesn't have a problem pushing 144+ fps in smaller areas

I have garbage olde timey RAM too (16GB @ 1600 MHz :corsair:) so maybe that's my issue? I never push past mid 80's even when staring at the ground. I can dip into the 40's when outdoors and in a firefight. Currently using medium/high settings with draw distance at the middle setting, since as you say at the high setting it was easily eating another 10-20 FPS off the top.

I just figure that BR games in general have a looot to churn through for their core CPU loop. You've got player physics for 100 or so players, hundreds of thousands of items on the ground, and an expectation to track all of that at a huge distance for all clients involved.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's kind of sad that sleek contemporary design is on the way out in favor of the blingee LED cases.

Also, it's virtually impossible nowadays to find something without a window. I tried, there isn't much.

I’m gonna do the Linus RGB build with my next PC. I’m sorry senpai. :nyoron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

Crosspost: EVGA b-stock sale is up, they have 970s for $100 and 750 G2s for $50, 1070 ti for $300, didn't see much else.

Friend of mine just lost his GPU to failure a few days ago, so this is perfect timing. Thanks for sharing.

edit: RIP? Already out of stock? :(

Siets fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 31, 2018