Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are blower cards bad? What is the alternative and what's the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK, so the case I'm looking at is a small fanless Mini-ITX case, it sounds like a blower card would actually make more sense, then

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

It will depend on the case a bit. Open air is better for cases with their own GPU chamber, Node 202, RVZ02

The case I'm thinking about does have a separate GPU compartment (SilverStone ML08), so it sounds like I should actually get an open card, then. I mean, I'll probably just end up getting whatever 1070 is cheapest and in stock when I buy it in September.

How loud are we talking about, though? I normally use headphones when I'm PC gaming, so I don't even know if that would be an issue

Edit: Well I just clicked that link. I wasn't even considering an AMD card so it sounds like I'm all right

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just wish there were a way of experiencing G-Sync before buying all this hardware. It's like hearing people talk about VR. "It's so rad, man... it just feels so much better. You'll never go back." It's like hearing people talk about drugs or a cult or something. Especially when encountering other posts that say it's not worth the money and the people really crowing about G-Sync are just trying to convince themselves their huge outlay was worth it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gunder posted:

As someone who owns a 144hz GSync monitor, I think it is worth the cost, but not because of GSync, it's the 144hz that's the real killer feature, and GSync helps with that immeasurably.

This is actually something I'm trying to decide on, if I should get a 4K 60Hz monitor or a 1440p 144Hz one! I'm coming from running everything at 1080p 30fps on medium, so anything will be a step up, but if I can only afford to push hard on one axis, I'm not sure which one is the best value.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks, these suggestions really help. Yeah, I'm aiming for a 1070, which according to all the review benchmarks should reliably do 1440p@60fps for most AAA games right now. But I assume I would upgrade my GPU before getting a new monitor, so it would be a question of whether to push up the resolution or the frame rate a couple years from now.

I do play some twitch shooters, but not that much (and apparently the 1070 can do Overwatch at 4K@60fps Ultra settings anyway!) and mainly lean towards slower RPGs and strategy games. I was probably more on the side of getting a 1440p 144Hz monitor, but then I think to myself, Civilization VI would probably look really nice in 4K...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would be lying if I said that Geralt and Lara Croft's hair weren't my most anticipated benefit from upgrading

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So if the system I'm building would push out around 60-75fps to a 144Hz monitor, would I be getting a benefit out of G-Sync? I'm really still thinking about whether the added cost is worth it. I guess also living in a 30-60fps world means I can't really picture what "smooth" means in these upper echelons

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The movie industry is almost all digital at this point. At the production level, almost all mainstream films are shot digitally, except when high-powered directors specially push for celluloid. Fuji has stopped producing motion picture film, and Kodak was about to stop as well, until they made a deal with the studios to keep the production lines alive

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The 1070 can run Overwatch at 144fps at 1440p, so maybe get that and the good monitor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

With what setup and graphical settings?

Well I haven't done it myself, but I'm planning for a 1070 myself so I ran across that Overwatch benchmark. It was actually 135 min / 142 avg on Ultra, so you could probably lock in 144 with some tweaking or overclocking? They were using a 6600K w/ DDR4-3000 as well.
http://www.techspot.com/review/1182-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/page2.html

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So it sounds like the resale market for video cards is actually a viable thing. If I buy a 1070 now with an eye to sell it a couple years down the line for a step up, is there anything I should keep in mind to maximize resale value? I assume the bigger names would probably do better for used sales. And aren't some card warranties transferrable? Is that a big deal for used sales

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This is what's giving me conniptions about buying a video card and 1440p monitor. The G-Sync tax seems way too much and I am really hesitant to pay it. But getting a 1070 with a Freesync monitor seems like a waste if adaptive sync technology is really worth it. But a RX480 would be severely underpowered for 1440p. But the G-Sync tax seems way too much...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm, man, if that's the case I might actually think about the 1080. I wish I could get a sense of how much longer I'd be able to stay at 1440p@60+ for the extra expense now.

I was originally planning to get a 1070 and resell it in two years for whatever Ti-equivalent would be out at the time, but...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I was looking at the benchmarks for the 1070 and it looks like I can keep comfortably above 60 at 1440p for most games, considering that the top notch of Ultra and the next highest usually a big trade-off in FPS for marginal effects, and I'm willing to lower settings to hit 144fps in games like Overwatch and Doom. The 1080 doesn't seem to change things that much for me, especially at the $650 I see for it online

Edit: And I don't know what that other post was saying about the 1060 doing 1440p for 5 years when right now it's doing 40fps and so in a couple years even at medium it will probably be sub-30

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 1, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's kind of impressive that you can get 30 fps in Battlefield 4 with that card. Maybe I will try to keep this 1070 for half a decade

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Crysis still brings current cards to their knees, so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think I can do it. I want a 1440p 144Hz IPS and I don't think I can pay the GSync tax. It would be in budget at Acer Recertified but I don't really feel comfortable with only a 90 day warranty on something that I need to last years and that has already been returned once, especially reading some of the bad stories here and on Reddit with faulty monitors. Also it never seems to be in stock there anyway.

If I am staying above 60fps, the benefit to Gsync would be minimal, right? It seems with a 1070 now I could probably do that on High for most things, and I guess I could just revisit this in a couple of years if Nvidia decides to accept Freesync or AMD has better options.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 3, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ah, ok. I guess I will just put off that decision until later, maybe if I shave off enough from my other components I can delude myself into getting a Predator.

Speaking of which, is there anything I should be wary about with the ASUS DUAL 1070? It looks like I can get it for significantly cheaper than any other 1070 (at B&H Photo). I was originally planning to get an EVGA for their customer service and warranty, but if Asus isn't completely terrible, it would be worth the $50 for me. I can't seem to find too much specifically written about this card, though. The only thing that might give me pause is the note that it's "2.1 slots" wide, but I am not sure how to make sure that will fit with my case and mobo? It's a mini-ITX build

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Asus's hardware is generally well made and engineered, but Asus is also renowned for their awful customer service so YMMV. As far as if that card will fit you would need to measure, especially in a mITX build where space is at a premium.

Thanks! GPU "thickness" doesn't seem to be a spec that's universally available, but luckily I was able to find a completed build on PCPartPicker with the same case/mobo and a video card that is as thick, so that's looking up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Asus MG279Q is $489 for a 27 inch 1440p 144Hz monitor without GSync. The Asus PG279Q is $799 for a 27 inch 1440p 144Hz monitor with GSync, which means that the one feature costs $310 at that level. I mean if you're made of money perhaps that is a no-brainer decision but

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I dunno what's up with that snark but I want a monitor at those specs and those are my options. I know people masturbate over GSync but every time I see that kind of attitude I wonder how much of a cult mentality is involved

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ample posted:

Not to stir the pot here or go over the topic again but its September now and the cheapest non blower gtx 1070 i can find is $420.00. The MSRP is listed at $379.00. I have not upgraded my computer is 6 years and am looking to do it soon. Am I going to have to wait to black Friday for it to reach MSRP?

Where are you buying from? I just bought an Asus dual fan 1070 from B&H Photo for 409, no tax or shipping and there's a 15 dollar mail rebate

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pascal cards have an HEVC hardware decoder, right? Does that mean you can watch Netflix 4K streams on the PC? I think I remember reading something about that being the reason why they didn't allow it before

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The video card I got came with four little velcro straps wrapped in plastic. What are those and why do I have four of them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks, I think I will put those ties to good use.

I think I might mess with overclocking this 1070, what is a safe temperature?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If I want to resell a video card, does having the original serial number sticker on the packaging matter? I bought a card and could mail in for a rebate, but I wouldn't want to get $20 now if that affected the chances for a couple hundred in a couple of years

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That last post reminded me to actually go and look at the settings for my new 1070/144hz monitor, and I didn't know I could set the desktop to 144Hz.

Now I'm freaking out, everything is so smooth, maybe even way too smooth. When I bring the mouse cursor over to my old monitor I can see the cursor trails now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I got a 1070 when I bought a 1440p monitor. I'm able to run most current games on high well above 60 (usually around 70-80)