Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Perplx posted:

Same problem as 8, I get irrationally angry when I have to use a touch gui on my non touch desktop computer

you should upgrade to windows 10 instead of whatever back alley OS you installed that still has a touch-based interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Perplx posted:

I specifically mean the new settings that show 9 huge icons when the old control panel could show 40+ items

they've been moving in this direction since like ME, it has nothing to do with touch. your second screenshot isn't even the default control panel.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ijyt posted:

I hate how they had to streamline everything because "it was too complicated before :cry:". I hate how I've had more bugs in two months of use than I've had in the previous two decades. I hate the unnecessary data collection. I hate how useless cortana is.

you can't complain about data collection AND cortana being useless. the function of anything like cortana or siri or "ok google" is reliant on data collection. people have this doom and gloom idea that microsoft is collecting user data for the sole purpose of I guess selling it to advertisers? and that's just silly and ignores how software works in 2016.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Don't get your hopes up, I very much doubt the 480 will come anywhere close to a 980 Ti or overclock nearly as high as people want it to. If it could AMD would be touting it, why let Nvidia sell 1070s when they could be shouting from the rooftops about 980 Ti level performance for $200-$240? Why would the 480 need loads of power to OC like mad but not the massive cooling that generally comes with shoving tons of power through a chip? If it can OC so high then why not make cards with an AIO built in? They already did that with the Fury X and even if it added $50-$60 to the price it would be well worth it to be able to talk about how your new card can come close to the 980 Ti for only $300.

i do think there's some logic in AMD keeping a good card under wraps until the 29th and then dropping the bomb at once. like, "here's our card, it's as expected, it's actually available at the price we advertised (instead of the $80 premium for 1070s), and we have plenty of stock. go nuts." people get hyped up on launch days and they'd probably get a lot of potential 1070 buyers to pull the trigger on a whim. whereas they might not get the same sales if you have weeks to think about it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bardeh posted:

As someone who knows very little about overclocking, how plausible are the rumors of 1500Mhz factory overclocks from some companies? Lots of people over on the AMD subreddit seem to be buying into the hype, but it seems quite suspicious that even though we have all these leaks, we don't have definitive evidence of any huge OCs yet.

it's not suspicious that we have blurry photos of chinese monitors but nothing concrete

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually the expectation at this point is that it will be as fast as a 980 stock and OC to 300-500MHz over stock, reaching nearly 980 Ti speeds.

As far as VR goes it needs a decent install base to see a decent number of games and a decent selection of games to get people to spend $600-$800 on it, it's a bit of a catch 22. Unless the HTC & Oculus people start contracting out games to be made for their devices like MS and Sony do for their consoles I don't see VR really taking hold, I mean it's pretty hard for MS and Sony to get a new console up and running and the initial investment with a console is vastly lower than what you need to spend to get into VR.

VR feels like everyone just assumed it was going to be the next big thing and started working on it, without considering if it was genuinely feasible or if the market really wants it. kind of like 3D.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Truga posted:

Wh... What?

You get VR if you want to play games in VR. Why would games have to be VR exclusive for you to want to play them in VR, that's dumb. I play minecraft on my laptop when I'm out of the house, but when I'm at home you bet I'll be playing it in VR, because it's simply a *better* experience.

Yeah, it'll be a couple more years before VR is ready for mainstream consumption. I'd say 3-5 max though. Phone VR is trash right and while vive/rift are great, they are also tethered, which is far from ideal. Once phones get better and we get wireless and ideally also less bulky desktop VR, it's going to own.

i just genuinely don't know if this is a way people want to play games. it strikes me as something we saw in fiction and thought "yeah duh of course that's the future." again, like 3D TV/movies, where everyone just assumed it was progress but then it turns out it adds very little to the experience.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Truga posted:

Have you actually tried it? I find the only people comparing this to 3d movies in any way are people who haven't tried it. I own a vive, and it's the only way I want to play games now. And this is just the first generation hardware.

no, i'm not comparing the experience at all to 3D movies, just the mentality that this is definitely the next big thing without seeing the corresponding buzz that the public wants it as much as the vendors suggest.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Eh, I think the public is much more interested in the high concept of VR than 3dtv. I think it's the implementation details that matter right now. Cost, content, fidelity, cdomfort, wires, etc. Solve all those and there is no doubt in my mm mind that people will embrace VR, while I can't say the same about 3dtv.

you're probably right, i am just being cynical and pessimistic

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

3D movies were awful because everyone saw Avatar and how it was pretty good in 3D, since James Cameron explicitly shot it in that way, so everyone else tried doing it and in many cases just hacked together "3D" out of regularly shot film so it both looked bad and it was more expensive to watch. That also excludes the people made physically ill by the 3D effects.

3D was a broken concept because its proponents suggested that 2D films could not convey depth, which is patently bullshit. and in most cases 2D films are so good at conveying depth, and our eyes so good at processing it, that 3D films felt incredibly fake. i have much higher hopes for VR because it solves a real problem, but i am still cynical enough to worry that people won't be as thrilled as some expect.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The name Kyle Bennett is still relatively new to me, as I've never relied on HardOCP for reviews.

This is a thing with lots of historical precedent, then, or is it just because of the recent Fury reviewer sample thing?

HardOCP has been a laughingstock for almost as long as I can remember.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Also when are they going to be the actual MSRP of $379 and $500 or whatever they were originally announced at?

not for a while, i'd expect. a few of the non-FE models have been released and the cheapest was $420, i think. they'll reserve the $380 price point for "barebones" cards.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Has there been any sign of Nvidia relenting in their refusal to support the obviously-more-likely-to-gain-widespread-acceptance FreeSync technology?

It seems like FreeSync could be awesome for HTPCs, both for in-home game streaming and watching content with frame rates that doesn't really match the monitor (all your 23.99 or whatever framerate movies would play correctly).

No, and I doubt they would add FreeSync support until AMD starts significantly cutting into their market share and being locked into the Nvidia platform becomes less tenable. I find it very hard to believe that they would support only Gsync indefinitely, though, considering the entire rest of the industry is settled on FreeSync as the standard.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Of the AIB vendors that offer AMD graphics cards, is there one that is slightly better than the others? I know all the launch day RX480s will have reference coolers, but is there a vendor with a longer warranty, better RMA practices, or one that won't get butthurt if I remove the cooling solution (in order to use one of those Krakens or something)?

My personal experience with Asus is that they are total assholes, will probably avoid their card if I can.

I don't know if they're "better" overall, but XFX is the only one I've seen with a backplate model announced.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

every stock fell on the 24th, guy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

repiv posted:

Ethereum miners are already starting to hoard RX480s, release date be damned :v:

this poo poo is the worst

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not that it matters since it's all rumormongering, but the leaked reviews seem to indicate the xfx version is going to have the highest factory over clock of what's been leaked so far, too.

it's 1288mhz, not much over stock. probably not worth paying a premium.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Not really right now. Whatever is cheaper with the fan style you want (ie blower or not blower)

Edit: I'm looking a little more carefully over the 480 leaks. It looks like the average Firestrike Extreme score is roughly ~5200-5600 depending on OC or not. If I recall these are similar to factory AIB 970 and 390x (290x post patch) numbers. Has AMD hinted at any architectural improvements?

most people are unsure on the leaks because we don't know if the "card fell off the back of a truck" folks are using release drivers or not. the reviews that drop on wednesday should be more accurate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

has this been posted yet? https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/rumor-rx480-aib-card-leaked-and-tested.223351/page-22#post-3479050

dude on techpowerup claims to have a 480 with out-of-the-box drivers, looks right at 980/390x performance based on arkham knight

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tijag posted:

Basically I want a 1070 without paying $100 premium for early adopter.

Stupid first world problems.

there's a gigabyte card on newegg that keeps popping up occasionally for $399, pretty close the $379 MSRP. i also wouldn't be surprised to see more stock and lower prices start trickling out after wednesday. 1070s have been very hard to find for the last week so i almost think nvidia and their OEMs are holding back stock to better compete with AMD.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bleh Maestro posted:

I definitely will laugh if there is suddenly plenty of stock of 1070's on Wednesday. :classiclol:

i don't think there will be plenty but nvidia will want to have at least SOME available to tempt those of us who are in between the 480 and the 1070 and might not be swayed by the official reviews

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Make no mistake, review sites are proxies for AMD and NVIDIA. They are in the business of selling cards. If you dump on one of their cards too hard, then you won't get a free 1080 Ti at NVIDIA's next launch party, and Raja won't do his sexy dance for you at the next Capsaicin (or even worse, you piss off Roy and then you aren't even getting a loaner sample next time around). And you won't get nerds clicking through your affiliate links to buy the card.

Simply put, neither the hardware companies nor the review sites benefit from hammering overmuch on the fact that the 1070 is not an upgrade for anyone with a 980 Ti, and the RX 480 is not an upgrade for anyone who owns a Hawaii. They are there to focus mostly on the bright-side. So you will get comparisons against old reference cards, comparisons at clockrates nobody really uses, comparisons reusing ancient benchmarks on ancient drivers, etc. You really have to take them with a massive grain of salt and realize exactly what you're looking at. I like TechPowerUp the most but even still you should take them with a grain of salt.

Why would they? That's a $400 card vs a $650 card, and a $200 card vs a $400 card. That's current mid-range vs last gen's high-end. That's not a relevant comparison. They'll show it in the benchmarking results but I don't see why'd they'd be expected to devote a paragraph to comparing two cards from two different markets in two different generations.

Also, isn't there some review site that makes a point of buying most of their samples off-the-shelf instead of relying on freebies?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

As mentioned regularly, in the US there was a pretty drat long period in 2014 / early 2015 where custom-cooled R9-290s were $200 with game bundle. If AMD releases a $200 290/390, they've hit the price/performance of 2 years ago.

Is there really no appreciable performance difference between the 290 and 390? Sorry, I've been out of loop for......a while.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Because AMD needs more. Oh does AMD ever need more.

I supposed it's a good thing this was always meant to be a mid-range card, huh? It's not like this is all we get.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

you will only see $379 on the most barebones cards, not something with ACX 3.0 cooling and overclocked out of the box, like that EVGA card. so most of the price premium on that specific card isn't simply gouging early adopters. but i do expect we will see more 1070s in the sub-$400 range if the 480 has a strong launch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Amazon already put their 480s up and sold out. Might get one though by refreshing

the MSI one is still available but idk why you'd pull the trigger prior to any real reviews

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

fletcher posted:

C'mon man this thread is all about the hype and impulse purchasing things that are selling out quickly! Don't ruin our fun!

i assure you i am going to impulse buy SOMETHING tomorrow, i'm just not sure what yet

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

also r/amd is melting down as hard as Kyle Bennett does on a daily basis :allears:

wow, they really are. you know what? it's genuinely reassuring to know that kind of insanity isn't limited to the green team.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Actually that particular kind of insanity is limited to the red team, during the 400-600 series Nvidia forums posters were virulently in denial instead of frothing rage.

Red is the color of rage
Green is the color of denial
Blue is the color of :homebrew: "yes gently caress me with a spiked dildo, give me a 10% worse chip and charge me 10% more for it"

what color is "i just want to buy a video card i don't need because i am an adult child"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

I'm not the one cheerleading a garbage company anymore. I mean buy your soon to be dead company products but lol if you think I am "melting down".

For everyone else DO NOT BUY THE RX 480, THE GTX 1060 WILL RELEASE IN TWO WEEKS AND WILL BEAT IT. I strongly urge you to not buy AMD products.

i'm not mad, in fact, it is you who is mad

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

$430. If you scroll up you'll see I linked it in-post, was asking for opinions on the model. I know I could have waited, but I've been dealing with a trashbag card for so long that at this point I'm willing to pay the $30 premium to enjoy it now rather than later. My 6850 sounds like it's literally going to explode when idling in town in WoW on low/medium graphics.

i just pulled the trigger on the same card but i am only paying the $30 premium because i am an adult child

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

At what point does a 380 start being a good upgrade for someone on a 750, 650 Ti, 7750, or something around that? I'm seeing 380s dip to $130 today with MIRs.

as someone who is about to sell a 380, that's a real annoying price point

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

It'll be interesting if that's why Nvidia is so quickly launching the 1060, they're getting a large enough amount of defects that they can still recover a majority of the wafer by lasering them into 2 GPC/1280CC parts, at least you'll still see something on a return instead of just wasted silicon. If I were Nvidia, I'd actually softlock these early 1060s and let people unlock individual clusters for additional performance to better be able to sway people to the 1060 over the RX480.

On the RX480, I want to see someone properly downclock to 850 and undervolt to a good level of stability and see what the power consumption is. If perf/watt skyrocket then I guess the rumors about validating above 850Mhz are true and AMD's hand has been forced and they're pushing the RX480 way beyond what they wanted or was envisioned. Instead of a 1.3Ghz 110W part, they're stuck with a 1266Mhz 160W part. If this is really a tragedy at the fab level, then it's Bulldozeresque, just hope it doesn't take AMD 4 years to fix it with an Excavatoresque release. Again, if it's not down to the ľarch, AMD just needs to let the 400 series die , fix the fab level poo poo, and get a refreshed 500 series up mid-late 2017 (launch RX590 and RX580 mid 2017, finish the refresh and launch the RX570, 565, 560, and 550 in October 2017). This is still recoverable, and it's unlikely Nvidia will be transitioning away from the 1000 series with enough alacrity for a fix to Polaris to not make sense.

This doesn't prevent the current release from being a dumpster fire.

mods please rename this guy RX480, he's overheating

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

So I really only follow Graphics card stuff casually, with everything dropping about the new AMD card can someone give me the low down? Is it better than Nvidia's offering?

It's a really good card for the price, the concern is that it sucks a ton of power (relatively speaking), so people don't think AMD's architecture will be able to scale and compete with Nvidia at the high end.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

This is also the first time AMD has completely flubbed on a new node.

have they, though

FaustianQ posted:

Basically close to this, that the perf/power disparity is even worse than from the 28nm days. Polaris has to be the dying breath of old GCN, Vega has to be an entirely new ľarch.

buddy idk how your doom and gloom brand fits withing agreeing that it's a really good card for the price

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Yea, again as I posted earlier, sounds like a gently caress up either in the BIOS or a driver issue, either causing misallocation of where it draws power, or simply that's drawing way too much for a given scenario.

Also 110W for the ASIC, 40W for the GDDR5. Err, would you get more headroom out of a 4GB model vs an 8GB model? Also this kind of points to full Vega being 200-220W, and cut Vega being 175-185W. That's not apocalyptic really, depends on price and perf.

rumor on anandtech is the review models of the 480 have a unique BIOS that lets it switch between 4GB and 8GB, so they can bench both models with one card. that could be the issue.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Holy poo poo AMD, you had one job: Decent last-genish performance for a decent price and not terrible power. Now we get cards that may catch fire and aren't even fast doing it. I really want to love you AMD but drat it, give me something to work with.

Have you actually read any reviews? Like all the way to the end?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

yeah, clapped out hot card that almost loses to reference 970s at 160w on 14nm

For $200 ;)

I have not read a single review yet that didn't recommend the card. So if you drew the conclusion above then, no, you did not read any reviews.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Yes. I should mention that my post was a bit hyperbolic. Performance wise everything matches up with what I expected. Pricewise I can grab an 8GB model here for AU$380 or so. That is very good. I like the RX480. What I don't like, and the only thing stopping me right now, is this power draw via bus issue. Yes, it's most likely fine. But I don't want "most likely" or "should be". If I'm spending any amount of money on a card I want to know I can put it in and not have to worry.

I understand that, and it's perfectly reasonable to be cautious. Nonetheless, it's incredibly disingenuous to read a review that reports the excessive power draw and then seemingly ignore the fact that the same review recommends the card. That's my problem with this whole controversy - people in forums and on Reddit are freaking out over test results, but the testers are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

for anyone who ordered a 1070/1080 from newegg, did it ship from their city of industry warehouse? it's been less than a day and i'm already itchy af.