Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Extremely relevant video from LinusTechTips on this exact topic, multiple 980s at 4k resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnS0xWtoRzk

The TL;DR is that some games scale EXTREMELY well, and get almost linear scaling as you add more cards. Some games don't scale at all(Watch Dogs), and some only get good benefits from the 2nd card and not as much from the 3rd and 4th cards. Single card is best, if you absolutely have to 2-way SLI can be worth it, 3 and 4 cards will almost never be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If those benchmarks posted last page are true, where the 295X2 beats the new Titan X, then either the 390X is going to have to completely destroy the Titan or be under $700. The 295X2 is $700 right now and beats the Titan X by about 10%, which seems like a crazy good value right now.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The 380 looks exactly like a 280 would look if it existed, halfway between a 270X and a 290.

It seriously looks like they just chose random numbers and checkboxes for these cards. The 370 has a ton of features marked as no that the 360 has a yes for, the clockspeed of the cards go down as you go to the higher models. I cannot make sense of these cards at all. The 370 has higher memory bandwidth than the 370, but lower Stream Processing Units.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
760 170w

vs

970 145w

So the 970 is about 15% lower, up to you if that is really worth it. The main power savings were from people using 770s(230w) and 780s(250w). The 970 is certainly a much more powerful card in terms of performance though, so you would see gains there.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Foxhound posted:

Anyone else having nvlddmkm driver crashes with the witcher 3 geforce drivers? Really weird.

Tons of people are having these issues, myself included. I have tried everything but rolling back to the previous driver version as that does not have SLI support for Witcher 3. There are lots of things you can try that have worked for some people though.

Including:

Uncapping FPS
Turn off VYSNC
Run in Fullscreen
Lower plant draw distance
Change Power settings in Nvidia control panel to performance for Witcher 3
Clean driver install
etc

Results vary for everyone, and some people like myself are 100% unable to get the game working. My crashes are roughly 2-5 minutes into the game each time, and only in Witcher, nothing else has issues. Witcher doesn't even have time to stress the cards, they barely hit 60c before the crash usually.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Do the GeForce Experience recommended settings take into account SLI? It's recommending pretty low choices for my dual-970 setup. Maybe it's a ploy to lure me into upgrading. Maybe it'll work!

Make sure SLI is actually enabled. It disables after every driver update.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There was a Asus leak that showed a 8gb 390x which directly counters AMDs statement that the new HBM card would only be a 4gb card.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Nvidia recommends a 600w, but the card only draws 250w so depending on your 500 you miiiight be ok. Not ideal though, and buying a 600w SFX power supply would push the total price of the card up quite a bit.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Since I decided to splurge on a nice new 3440x1440 34 in. behemoth and 1080 stock still seems to be loving non-existent I really need to know what the hell I need to do to find one rather than just signing up for auto-notify on all the out of stock models on newegg. I love this new monitor but this poor 980 from last year can barely get 30 FPS on WoW of all things now.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080/

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The biggest reason for the huge FPS jump in DOOM is because AMD's OpenGL support was godawful and had huge CPU overhead. Vulkan cut the CPU overhead way down for everything, which ends up being a large boost for AMD cards but also a large boost for anything NVIDIA + lovely CPU. The link Beautiful Ninja posted above shows a great example, where a TitanX + i7-920 gets double the FPS under Vulkan.

And yea, NVIDIA seems to have lovely async support right now even on the 1070/1080, but who knows how that will turn out down the line. If AMD releases a high end card later this year that competes with the 1080 but has similar gains under DX12/Vulkan they could be in a pretty amazing place performance wise for those games.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My 1080 and XB271hu came in Monday and I got them all set up... holy poo poo.

Overwatch and Doom both run at 120-180 fps, and between the 165hz refresh rate and G-Sync they look loving amazing. Games have never felt so smooth and honestly it feels far easier to aim in Overwatch.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sure, Hell UO did too, but did it have a Borderless Windowed mode? I never played, but the EVEMon way was one of the first times I had seen a borderless window app ever, an wondered why not all games have done this. (Then or since).

Everquest had EQW back in 2001/2 that allowed fullscreen windowed, it was pretty buggy at first but it made multiboxing way easier.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
A huge missed point though is that the 290/290X were not sold anywhere near retail for a LONG time due to Bitcoin miners. During the mining craze those cards were sold out everywhere and you could only find them for double their retail price. Gamers barely had the option of going AMD at that time if they wanted a high end card, even if AMD had the best card at the time.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

So you can upgrade your evga 1080 to an ICX for $99 and it resets your step up. ICX is valued at $749 on evga site....

$99 upgrade to 1080ti?

The ICX upgrade offer expires today FYI, so anyone interested should do this right away. $99 to upgrade to a 1080ti is pretty sweet and seems worth it to me.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Man EVGA is on the ball with step ups. My ICX upgrade shipped out Thursday and was autoregistered friday. Submitted for 1080ti step up friday and got approval and submitted payment today. drat icx card wont even be here till thursday so i can ship it right back to EVGA.

Just curious, how much did the step up cost you, if anything? And what model was your previous 1080? Not super excited about the fact that step up will be founders edition cards only, makes water cooling seem like the only option.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It isn't going to be any faster than a decent air cooled card, but it will run at far lower temps. For $60 more it's not a bad deal, depends on the air cooled card you're comparing it against. If it was that vs a Founders Edition one for only $60 I'd do it no question.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, I more meant one of the better air cooled ones like all the triple fan design cards. Compared to something like a FE or a basic air cooled it will be a solid amount faster on top of not having to run at 100% fan speed.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
1080/tis have extra value right now also as they are bundled with a copy of Destiny 2 which is an easy $40-60 resale if you don't want it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

No kidding, I bought a new one a week before they announced this deal.

I bought a 2nd 1080ti right before the deal was announced, but I am still in the 30 day return window for Amazon so I just ordered a 3rd one from Newegg to get the code and will return that card to Amazon, ends up costing me ~$10 for a copy of Destiny 2 for the return shipping to Amazon.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Super short buttcoin tutorial.

1. Download the Windows client at https://www.nicehash.com/?p=gstarted

2. Create a wallet at Coinbase.com, under accounts click "Get Bitcoin Address" under your main wallet.

3. Put that huge string of characters into the wallet field on the Nicehash miner.

4. Run the miner, tell it to do a benchmark and then start mining.

5. Watch fake dollars roll in.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Can't wait to see the numbers on the 3090, though I can't see it being worth the price. I feel like I might end up holding off until we get the more reasonably priced 3080 ti or 3080 Super or whatever around 900-1k that has 95% of the performance with say 12-16gb of vram instead. But seeing as that doesn't exist yet and could be a long time off I might just cave.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Llamadeus posted:

Pretty sure it works the opposite way, otherwise people would have to be looking up efficiency curves to figure out what PSU they actually needed.

Correct. PSU Efficiency rating is how efficient it is at pulling the listed power at different wattage levels. So a 600w 90% efficiency would actually be pulling aroung 666w at max load.

E: Yea what DrDork said.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Apologies and :rip: to anyone who thought they were going to be able to "Step Up." =/

The EVGA step up program does not require the GPU to be in stock, only to be released within the 90 day period.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The operative language there seems to be "upon availability" and "unforeseen factors."

That's the way it has always been, upon availability does not mean in stock. It may not be added to the step up page the day of the Nvidia release, so if you're cutting it too close you might be out of luck. But it won't have anything to do with the actual EVGA stock of cards, just when they decide to add them.

It was exactly the same with the 1080->1080ti, there was a huge shortage on launch and I sat in the queue for several months waiting for my turn to come up.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Running at a non-native resolution is never ideal, but if you have to drop down on a 4k TV you want to go down to 1080p since it's a perfect 1/4th.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Plenty of retailers charge strict MSRP, but if supply is going to be an issue all of them will be out of stock.

Get ready to camp out on https://www.nowinstock.net/

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pretty much why I made a short list of potential cards I want to buy that will fit my Meshify C without taking out the front fan:

If I have a Meshify C with a front Radiator + fan am I just hosed then? I didn't break out the tape measure yet but this is pretty dire sounding.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I already have a top rad also, so welp.

EDIT: The PCB looks super short though, I wonder how long the card is with a waterblock since that's what I have right now.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 10, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, looking into it, there's one company that is making a block for the FE, and no others announced yet. Doesn't mean it's impossible but does put me in an awkward situation if none of the reference boards will fit.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
According to Fractal, the Meshify C has 315mm with a fan, and 335 without, which doesn't make sense if fans are 25mm thick. My current rad is 26mm so TECHNICALLY it would fit a 285mm card if the 315mm space is correct, but that's cutting it a bit close.

Another (bad) option is I could just remove the middle fan on that front rad and only use the top and bottom one.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Getting reviewers to use a new set of drivers maybe?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
We've already seen Control running at 4k60 with full ray tracing, with DLSS turned on in the original Digital Foundry video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWD01yUQdVA

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's not 90 days to complete the step up, it's 90 days to start it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
There's no confirmed 3rd party benchmarks yet, but the leaks and initial AMD stuff is very promising. They are missing out on some of the big Nvidia only tech like DLSS and dedicated RT cores, but the raw performance is looking solid.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, consoles getting SSDs is very exciting for PC games because it means they will be able to utilize a SSD far more effectively as games are optimized for them.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Cavauro posted:

There's a CDPR dev who posts in the cyberpunk thread and unrelated it's my understanding that the updated system requirements are to maintain 24 FPS.

So what are the specs to actually make the game playable then? I'm curious what we're actually looking at to hit 1440p 60+fps without dropping everything to super low.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Cygni posted:

Weird that an old game like PoE (albeit at 1440p/144hz) seems to be the most intense utilization of a 3090 that I've found yet, ha. I'm also gonna try swapping to the Vulkan renderer and see if that helps the temps at all.

PoE doesn't usually push any modern GPU to 100% very often, it usually is way more stressful on your CPU, the fact that this is happening to you is somewhat strange. The only time I noticed ultra high GPU usage in PoE was when I had vsync disabled on the menu screen and it would run at way too high of framerate.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Sounds like a potential Vsync issue then, especially with that 99% fps being 31.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Bet they were sick of getting a bunch of GT730s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

K8.0 posted:

So if you find a 1650 for sale somewhere, you can step up to a 3090 in a mere combined 3 years!

Sadly no, you can't step up something more than once.