Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Guni posted:

I think that's the whole point. Hence the lack of recommendations for Gigabyte in the parts picking thread.

Kind of makes me wonder why so many people recommend Gigabyte for Hackintosh builds, but that's for another topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

It's because most Gigabyte boards do not require a DSDT since OS X has drivers to cover most of the components. It typically ends up only requiring an audio and physical lan kext file, with most other components working natively. Most other motherboard manufacturer's products require a decent amount of DSDT and kext editing to get working with OS X.

Ah, then I guess I just got lucky with my choice of MSI board. Only needed audio and IntelE1000e.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Everyday Lurker posted:

Still kicking myself for buying my 270X ($219.99) back when 280X prices had gone stupidly stratospheric ($100 to $200 above MSRP).

Welp, could have bought a GTX 760 for $40 more, but I was being exceptionally cheap about it.

If you think that's bad, how about this? I asked for either a 270X, 280X, or 290 for Christmas, and sure I know I didn't pay for it directly, but it ate into the household income. Anyway, the giver went with a 270X, and I had waited until the first week of December to suggest it, so the cheapest one available was $270, shipped from an Amazon Marketplace seller in Canada. It didn't arrive until the 27th.

I still have a kickass video card, though, and I shouldn't complain that I could have waited a few months.

Oh, and for added information, this is for a system with OS X installed as the default environment, and that R9 270X runs Dolphin at full speed in most circumstances, like running Twilight Princess at full speed almost everywhere. My existing GTX 670 couldn't run that game any faster than half to two thirds full speed, except in Windows or Linux. There was a small hitch, in that it ran the Mac version of Bioshock Infinite like molasses when looking at anything but directly at a wall, but 10.9.2 fixed that.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Seamonster posted:

Wow.

They've done gently caress all to improve the engine after 3 loving years AND made it clear as day all they care about is bending over backwards for the consoles. A shameful release.

Slightly off topic, but not only is it a weird game, but it's hosed if you're in Germany. The German version is in German only, and censored because lol nazis, but that part was obvious. Plus, the Euro version is intentionally restricted so it won't run if you're in Germany, so no gift workarounds, either. It's like they want you to steal it or something.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Ignoarints posted:

:lol:

edit: besides the name... it looks like it has more potential than the G10 if it has direct contact with the vrms and memory. Too bad its way uglier. Not something that usually matters to me but its a striking difference

Also finally allow me to use all the square corsair coolers

Read the rest of the article. It doesn't have contact with either the VRMs or the memory. It just sticks a fan on those and attaches it to the card's existing fan control circuitry.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

So whats up with (MS at least) still releasing 32bit builds for Win8 and Win9(yes?)?

Some people still need to run 16 bit software, lol.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I wasn't totally kidding, either. For instance, the wholesale company my dad worked for up until March of 2013, ran Windows 98 on all of their office machines until about four years ago, because their sales and inventory tracking database software ran under MSDOS.

They now sport Windows XP on all their machines, running a shiny new Gooey that accepts case insensitive logins and passwords.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
My brother's 460 just died within a few weeks ago, too. Started glitching out and crashing the system, preceded by super overheating when idling. He even tried reapplying the heat sink. Oh, almost forgot to mention, this was his second 460. The first one died much more suddenly, simply spawning a screen full of glitches and never working again.

I sent him my 670 and kept my newer R9 270X. All in all, I'm pleased with the decision, as I prefer the higher integer math performance for random things, like running Dolphin in OS X. He's pleased with the 35C idle temperatures in his machine.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

15" Retina Macbook Pro

But smart people buy the one with discrete graphics.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

I'm not saying it's the best choice, but only that it exists, as it was implied these laptops do not exist.

My bad.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
The unfortunate limit is that Boot Camp can't switch graphics and is stuck running the discrete graphics all the time. It does help their figures that OS X saves more power than Windows does, though.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

Note to self. Force installing drivers from a Catalyst package that refuses to install causes kernel mode bluescreens related to hardware accelerated video on 5850s.

I should ask my parents or the doctors told them I was retarded or something as an infant.

I had an HP tower computer over 10 years ago, and I forcibly upgraded its BIOS with the Award BIOS for that model of motherboard, when it was an HP version that had half the L2 cache and Phoenix BIOS. This had to be fixed by pulling the BIOS chip and flashing it with an EPROM programmer using my older computer. Oh, but no, it didn't stop there. Within about a month or two, I got the same bright idea and tried it again, and had to perform the same exact fix a second time.

It didn't help that my only access to an EPROM programmer was a borrowed programmer that one of my older brothers had to bring over from his house each time, and this meant waiting a week or two after loving over my computer for a convenient time for my brother to take a break from his life to pay us a visit.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Better than my story. All I could afford from loving Best Buy was a Creative 3D Blaster Exxtreme, which was a lovely 3DLabs Permedia 2 card with 4MB of memory. It couldn't even run Quake, and if I tried to run Thief, walls were only textured with the light map, so spotting the carpet in the tutorial was impossible.

I even returned and later re-bought it. Meh.

Tried to buy an add-in card in its place once, it failed to boot with a non dedicated card, because it was a lovely Packard Bell desktop with integrated graphics which the BIOS disabled on boot if a video card was plugged in, even if it wasn't a complete video card.

Irresponsibility even led me to attempt flashing the card with incompatible firmware. The only fix was to hot plug the card post boot, but before Windows 98 booted, then reflash it from there with the correct firmware. First time I ever experienced multi monitor, too.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

Oh hey, I didn't know you posted here. I enjoy many of your Foobar plugins :cheers:

I don't know, my story didn't involve nearly as much hacking and yours has that plus utterly wasted money. It's always nice to know that I'm not the only person with utterly poo poo impulse control.

Thanks, glad to know I brightened your computer using experience.

As for waste of money, the computer was purchased as a family machine by parents, years ago. My first Windows PC. The Permedia 2 wasn't a total waste, as it was a step up from the Cirrus Logic dumb frame buffer chip it came with. Not much of one, but better than nothing.

That computer is gone now, but I still have the video card littering a spot in my headboard cabinet.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Godawful PowerVR. Had the brilliant idea of rendering the video straight to the host video card's VRAM. Across the PCI bus. :gonk:

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I took back my Permedia 2 and bought a PowerVR instead. It disabled my inboard video anyway. So I returned it and repurchased my Permedia 2. Thus, I never actually got to try the PowerVR. :(

Fake edit: I never had the funds to buy more than one card back then, either. :ohdear:

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Sup, R9 270x and Intel HD Graphics buddy.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Interesting issue I ran into with my R9 270X. It seems I cannot use both DVI ports at the same time as the HDMI. So, I have my Asus VG278H connected to the primary DVI port, Dell P2414H to DisplayPort, and Rift DK2 to HDMI.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

You should read the Auspol thread in D&D sometime
Brief derail again, because I don't want to jump into the Auspol topic because I'm not even living in Australia, but...

I have an Australian friend who's living on the dole because he has a legitimate mental illness, and under the current regime, not only do they force him to look for work, but they require proof of it, or else they'll cancel his benefits. Plus, it seems now that it's nearly impossible to prove anything but physical disability to apply for benefits all over again. So, either way, he's hosed.

Oh, right, and he's already so strapped for cash, all he can afford for internet is Dodo, which I've heard is poo poo tier. On the plus side, he stands a chance in the Australian demoscene, even if they don't pay him.

Back on topic, I may be interested in what is that, a 970? But only if I can make it work with a Hackintosh.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I'm considering a 980 for my primary desktop, which is also Hackintosh'd, and apparently 980s work with the latest NVidia web drivers for Yosemite PB3 or DP8, but 970s don't. Awaiting more info on that front before I commit to a purchase.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
At least with my Asus VG278H, when I made the mistake of hooking it up to my Radeon R9 270X with an HDMI cable instead of DVI-D, the Windows drivers as well as OS X defaulted to feeding it YCbCr 4:2:2 instead of RGB. OS X needed an EDID override to remove the TV attribute, Windows just needed Catalyst Control Center to be reconfigured to output RGB.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
How nice, the Omega drivers explicitly say they're not designed for Apple machines running Windows via Boot Camp. "Contact your vendor for support", they say. Maybe FutureMark will even be so kind as to recognize the drivers next time around instead of simply reporting "Generic VGA". Praise Stebe.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Speaking of AMD drivers being poo poo, this affects me in Boot Camp, because Apple used AMD hardware in my Retina 5K iMac because it was a better solution for pushing around so goddamn many pixels on one screen.

Anyway. The specific issue is that the Boot Camp drivers, latest provided by AMD themselves last December, are an old version, some 301.something, that doesn't yet support 5K displays. So I get a maximum resolution of 3840x2160@60Hz on my 5120x2880@60Hz display, with bilinear filtering. It doesn't look too terrible, but it still sucks.

And it seems the problem isn't something that can be fixed just by jumping through 5 million hoops to install the Omega drivers on my Apple specific device ID. No, AMD has to explicitly program support for Apple's MST configuration, which internally uses dual DisplayPorts fed through a much larger ribbon cable than the 2013 27" iMacs used with their single DisplayPort configuration. Too bad they're not terribly eager to get that poo poo working, as it's only been five months now since their last already-behind release.

Maybe that's what I get for buying a Mac, lol.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I got the one with the M295X.

E: Which is apparently about equal in power to my Windows PC's R9 270X.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

So, just as likely as it's amd screwing up, it's apple being the gigantic bitch they are.

Could be that, but the latest driver available is direct from AMD themselves. No idea if they made it, or relied on Apple to make it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, I posted this over in the AMD thread, but I thought it might be of interest over here, too.

If you haven't already, you should listen to Scott Wasson (techreport.com) and David Kanter (realworldtech.com) talk AMD. The front end is predominantly CPU, it then branches into HBM, and then GPUs. I was very happy to hear these two pick eachother's brains.

I've queued the link to where HBM discussion starts, the rest after that is GPU, except where they do Q&A at the end: https://youtu.be/9RA6t3Mx0ms?t=46m30s

Though if you're interested in their analysis of the CPU side, that's good to listen to as well.

I would be interested to know what they were thinking with most of their last few generations of CPUs, since they were essentially energy burning toasters with worse efficiency than the competition, yet a lot of people with huge Texas belt buckles really love them anyway. But that's an Intel vs AMD war for another topic.

Off topic, I would also like to know if you ever check your PMs.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
No, see, he has Optimus. Which means the discrete graphics chip has no displays connected to it. It must framebuffer copy to the integrated graphics to function.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Maybe their fortune is already safe, what with them being the incumbent in Cupertino.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I kind of made the mistake of jumping on board with a Strix GTX 960, which is a little weaker than I'd like, at least if I ever go on board with VR equipment. I'm currently listing my Rift DK2, which I won't link here because that would be advertising, but I may try listing it in SA Mart instead.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should get a Strix 970, or go all the way for a 980 instead, and keep the 960 as a PhysX card. I may also note that a lot of my gaming ends up being streamed using Steam In Home Streaming over a GigE link to my iMac, which shares the desk with my secondary monitor, which also happens to have the PC connected to two of its inputs.

I also wonder if it's even worth keeping the machine's i7 3770 integrated graphics enabled, since some things I've tried to stream inexplicably end up streaming through QuickSync instead of the NVEnc, such as Mercury's Timeless demo.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I tried buying a PowerVR in the 1990s at some point, but I had a magical Packard Bell desktop with integrated Cirrus Logic framebuffer chip that the BIOS would deactivate if it sniffed any video cards plugged in, even add-in video cards that didn't have their own BIOS or framebuffer or DAC. I would have had to buy a dedicated card as well as the PowerVR, or a Voodoo 1 or 2 if I ever could have afforded either back then.

So eventually, it was back to my mainstay add-in video card, a Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Exxtreme, aka a 4MB Permedia 2 card.

At one point in time, I also got ahold of a Cirrus Logic Laguna 3D based card, with RDRAM onboard, and it was actually faster at being a framebuffer than the Permedia 2, but it was even worse at 3D.

The Permedia 2 was pretty bad already, since every Quake engine that used OpenGL ended up multitexturing just the lightmap over top of the textures as a solid shaded grayscale surface, which rendered games like Thief unplayable since you could see the shadows, but not whether a floor was carpeted or metal.

My parents eventually got a PC for themselves, which my little brother took over most of his free time to play games, and I would sneak in at night and borrow the Geforce 2 MX card to use in my hand-me-down HP tower instead of the same Permedia 2 card, since the HP didn't come with any cards from the person who gave it to me. That led to many annoyed family members in the mornings that I forgot to slip the cards back into their original setup.

Later, I was able to purchase some Geforce 2 GTish thing from a local parts store, and had all the UT99 fun I could muster, instead of having to use the software rendering mode that the CPU was more than capable of handling in absence of proper 3D hardware.

In 2004, with the help of my IRC friends, and my parents again, I got a new tower with a Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB, which I eventually had to buy a third party cooler for, since the integrated fans eventually got dust clogged and died.

Then in 2009, I got a newer tower and eventually got a GeForce 9800 GTX+ Black Edition for it. That card was eventually replaced with the 9800 that my little brother originally had in his PC, since his was much quieter and still quite a performant piece of hardware. He replaced it with a GTX 460, which later died, and was replaced with another GTX 460. It also died just last year, same symptoms.

Then in 2010, I got my first laptop, with Intel HD Graphics original flavor, which is shite, but sort of useful since it's portable.

Then in 2012, I used my own saved up money to buy a new tower PC, and within a few months, managed to save up enough with a friend's help to equip it with a GTX 670, which, in 2014, I gave to my little brother, to replace the series of dead 460s. It's still going strong, presumably.

In 2013, I also acquired a Radeon R9 270X, with the intent of mining for crypto currency as well as seeing how it performed with games. It was worse off at games, but made me a small amount of crypto crap, which I have since cashed out, thank goodness.

In 2014, I got a Mac Pro with a D500, which I immediately got severe buyer's remorse over, mainly because it sucked at games, even in Boot Camp, and because they just launched the Retina 5K iMac less than a week after it arrived. I returned it to the Fruit Stand for a refund, also citing a problem it had with sleeping, where it would lock up in sleep mode with an amber light glowing out of the bottom vents, which nobody could explain to me.

I then bought a Retina 5K iMac with R9 M295X, which barely performs any different from the R9 270X, if not worse. Oh well, it has the awesome screen, it's been my main computer for the better part of 1.5 years now, and it still rocks at almost everything I do with it.

Then, on Leap Day, I bought a Strix GeForce GTX 960 4GB, which I have yet to mail the rebate documents for, not sure if I'm even going to do that. It allegedly performs worse than the GTX 670 I gave away, but it definitely beats the 270X and the M295X. It also manages to slightly edge out a R9 390 that a friend just bought, at CineBench R15's GL mode.

There's my life story, somebody please justify my existence by quoting me and replacing the whole thing with the :words: emoticon.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Another joyous advantage of UWP games, you can't stream them using any sort of desktop capture software, so I hope you haven't made a poor decision like I have, in making your primary 5K monitor a full desktop computer that doesn't support any sort of display input, and never will.

Hmm, maybe I should sell this desktop Mac and buy some other desktop Mac that actually supports external displays. Or not.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 18, 2016

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I stream video form a Windows tower to my AIO PC, which is apparently incompatible with that UWP crap.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Should I be at all concerned that my MSI Z77A-GD65 is showing 8.2V on its +12V rail, possibly since I plugged in a Strix GTX 960? Or maybe it was since I just added a Xonar DX card that's been in storage for several years now? I don't even know if this is an accurate voltage reading that HWMonitor is pulling from my board.

Currently rocking from a Seasonic X750 Gold, which I got from NewEgg in 2012. It has been in semi-regular use ever since then. I hope it's not a failure already, since it was pretty expensive.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

JnnyThndrs posted:

Is that reading taken from the BIOS or from a hardware monitoring program? I would be surprised if it would even boot if the 12v rail was that undervolted.

Hardware monitoring program. I'll have to reboot if I want to check what the BIOS says.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

The face rest leaves something to be desired in the way of hygiene. None of them are pleather or leather.

I don't know about you, but my sweat eats holes in those materials.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Does AMD also have a video encoder solution that works with Steam? I'd be interested in that, assuming I switch back to using my iMac as my primary desktop again. It was handy having hardware H.264 encoding, since that makes it possible to stream from the Windows PC to the Mac. If not, I may just stick with using the Windows PC directly for gaming, and forget about streaming.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Moogle posted:

This is how bafflingly bad AMD are.

Yes, they have hardware encoding. It's called VCE, it's entirely equal to NVidia's solution, and it has been supported by Steam for a long old while. Also supported by (a branch of, heh) OBS, and plenty of third party tools. I used it to run KinoConsole to stream Steam games to my tablet in bed when I had a bad case of everything-itis, and it was entirely satisfactory.

Ah. My previous lower spec card would have VCE 1.0, and when I tried gaming with Steam In-Home Streaming, it tended to prefer software encoding over the VCE. I've also had cases with my GTX 960 where some OpenGL software will randomly prefer to offload the video encoding to the QuickSync encoder instead of using NVEnc. The OpenGL software was pulling 60fps+ on the attached display, and stuttering like mad on the Mac's screen.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

Only way to do gpu passthrough is a Linux kvm-qemu setup.

And even then, you need dirty hacks to get it working with NVidia consumer cards, because NVidia wants you to buy GRID cards for that purpose, and disables it for other cards in their drivers when they detect a passthrough setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I re-ran the Steam VR benchmark on my Strix GTX 960, which I know is not supposed to be VR ready, but what the heck?

Uninstalling Hyper-V was the difference between a score of 0.8-1.2, and a score of 3.2.