Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

AnandTech has a cool article up about using Thunderbolt and Virtu i-Mode together on a Wintel platform. Windows Thunderbolt isn't fully mature just yet (missing hot-add after boot, though it has hot-remove), but basically poo poo just works.

I doubt you'll see hotswapable thunderbolt much. eSATA isn't hotswapable either and desktop PCs can take the removal of hard drives better than PCIe cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

I effortposted about PCIe hotplug in the Intel thread, here. SATA hotplug is a different (easier) game though, that's almost entirely on the OS drivers-side. Not too much needed from BIOS.

I saw that in the other thread. Kind of kills my hopes for controlling 10k fps cameras from a MBA but I'll still try it...

I must just have terrible luck with eSATA drivers... last time I tried hotswapping I just got a BSOD.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

My gaming consists of Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Should I just get the GTX 460 for $140 now or wait for prices to fall as Kepler continues to roll out?

I bought a GTX460 over a year ago for that price!

Looking on Newegg you can pay $280 for one if you want! What a rip off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

balakadaka posted:

This is the future, and I'm glad I'm around to see it. The ability to buy gaming performance like I'd buy web hosting is amazing

I'd kinda like to not be concerned with the ping time to my GPU.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wouldn't you need to buy a Quadro card to see any kind of performance for double precision? I thought the consumer cards were essentially constrained to single precision floats for sales purposes (similar to OpenGL performance and CAD).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eggyolk posted:

Sorry, meant low profile.

:eng99:

There's never gonna be a competent low profile video card is there? The 6670 is about as good as it gets right now.

Seems like something that should be possible. I wish I could install something better than a FireGL 3800 (or whatever they call them now) in the Z200s at work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

2GB is a healthy enough amount, but how on earth did they require 1GB for the OS? Isn't the the Xbox 360 OS limited to 16MB?

I imagine that is OS managed memory and the other 1GB is what you can fill from your own malloc calls.

Unfortunately Nintendo has some pretty restrictive NDAs so that kind of stuff isn't usually public for their consoles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joink posted:

I find those tech demos completely inferior to something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lTJrmGzpEI in every way.

Another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcbj7ksqwE

And once more features are in graphics cards 64kb/4kb demos will be even crazier.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dominoes posted:

I'm switching to nvidia because ATI can't get their poo poo together on vsync with multiple monitors.

vv What do you mean?

Are you using analog connectors?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

One thing I found interesting about the hfr hobbit is that it seemed to make it more obvious when they sped up the raw footage. The beginning of the movie went back and forth with sped up and actual speed footage fairly often, and I suspect that some people conflated the awkwardness of sped up footage with hfr.

If thats the case then that is what the real problem is.

As another anecdote, a lot of headaches in 3d movies are caused by improper viewports and impossible geometries caused by it. More recent 3d films don't have these issues as much, but early 3d films had it everywhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Of course who really gives a poo poo about 8k at this point, but Nvidia certainly made it a marketing point - if not a major one - for the 3090, I mean they got Linus to do a 10 minute ad on it (yeah not exactly arm pulling involved).

Tech Jesus did a 30 minute video on it too! :laugh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notably GN uses the 1600W for two purposes:
1. To be such overkill that they can use the same PSU to review every single component in isolation
2. To provide stupid amounts of power for LN2 stunts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are the 20xx cards actually going to crash in price? It looks like a 2070 should be able to handle 1080p+rt in watchdogs and cyberpunk but 2070s are still more expensive than a 3070 will be in 2 weeks. Nevermind that that 3070 is going to outperform a 2080ti which are still like $800

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DrDork posted:

They just stay at awkward prices until they slowly disappear entirely (buybacks from manufacturers, maybe?).

This is kind of why I was wondering about prices crashing. Do they go on ebay or something so there isn't a "real" price history?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lockback posted:

There's still a market for replacements on certified configs, and lol if you think you'll get 3070s until 2021 so they still have the fact that the 2070s are actually available for sale.

There will be some sales, but they are usually reasonably small quantity and time, which historically have been REALLY good values. So it's not a price crash as much as additional sales to get stock down to levels where the desperate may need them.

Its just amazing to me that they're selling 2060 (supers) for over $499 right now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

Witcher 3 was awful on console launch though. But like you say, PCs mainly exist to make bad code look passable. Just look at Control which went from performance disaster to, ahem, "GPU benchmark".

Can we also get a Quake II RTX hot take?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

OW1 at 1440p with all settings maxed, 100% render scale, still dips below 141 fps on my 3080 paired with a 3900x.

There’s a reason why pros play on the lowest settings on the highest end hardware. Sure the skipped frames may only be 0.1% of the time but that’s when things are the craziest.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Animal posted:

Placed 3080 orders with Dell at 6:41AM and never got confirmation emails. People who ordered hours later got their email and shipping dates days sooner than my orders. The chat CSR says my orders are on hold and can’t explain why.

Probably because you ordered multiple and it got flagged.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder if there’s hidden “one per customer” they forgot to mention on the website.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If the BOM is $600 they’re selling cards at a massive loss.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taima posted:

*Hey I wonder what the GPU thread is up to, hope people ended up grabbing a card*

:yikes:

The prime day GPU deal is up! 9% off a 5600XT!!!!!! https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11296-05-20G-Radeon-backplate-Graphics/dp/B089KVC54X?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_349e4521_75&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

(I was seriously expecting some 20xx deals but maybe they're waiting for black friday)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

So, even if AMD can't compete at the very highest end for raw computing power, if they're able to deliver cards that are as powerful as the Nvidia's xx70s, xx60s, and xx50s, and at the same or a lower price, they're probably going to sell well.

This would be true if nVidia didn't have RTX, AMD cannot match the performance of even a 2070 in raytracing using anything they've released so far. They really need to have something they've been hiding for RDNA2.

Raytracing in games looks absolutely incredible, a major change in quality above just some rasterization improvements, and if it gets down to $200 cards (imagine a 2650/2660) AMD is toast.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

First, most games don't support RTX.

Thats why Fortnite was such a huge get, you don't need "most games" you need "most gamers"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

i wish apex had DLSS, i don't need more performance but their TAA sucks rear end

for some reason it takes forever to converge even at >150fps

Honestly it’s kind of amazing apex works period since it’s on the source engine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AirRaid posted:

"Tensor" is literally a trademark name that nvidia came up with for a thing, it is not a type of thing in itself.

If this was true I might’ve gotten better than a C in engineering electromagnetics.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Goons, I'm a little confused on the EVGA step up setup.... if the card I got is more expensive than their equivalent, I assume they're not gonna refund me the difference, correct? For example if I were to grab this:

https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-GeFor...&tag=mozilla-20

And then try to step it up for a FTW3 Ultra, I'd just eat the $150 extra bucks, right? Would it even be a guaranteed step up at this point?

I ask because my current video card won't run Cyberpunk particularly well, but I have no issues with grabbing a 2080 now so I can play it at launch if it means I'll eventually be able to step up to a 3080 FTW3 Ultra, since who the hell knows when those will be available.

Correct, though you need to make sure that you're buying from amazon themselves if you want to use the step up program. You need to be the first person to buy the card so no used stuff either.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Next question, since it seems that the FTW3 Ultra is the card they auto step up to according to their list... so if I grab this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-GeFor...&tag=mozilla-20

Slightly cheaper, from th EVGA store... it would still get upgraded to the FTW3 Ultra? Because that was the specific card I wanted anyway, so in this case with the taxes and shipping costs, I'd be out maybe only like $120 over retail. That sound right?

You can buy any card ending with -KR and step up to whatever you want, you just pay the difference. You cannot be refunded. So I would buy a 2070 or a cheaper 2080 so you're not wasting money.

Though with the FTW3 Ultra you're only losing like $12 I think?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AIBs might get kind of mad with nvidia if they find out for certain who is getting more chips first instead of just suspecting. (someone is always getting something first, even if its random luck)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NoDamage posted:

What is the likelihood Nvidia will officially announce the 20GB 3080 in response?

If GDDR6X is the limiting factor then maybe they won't.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thinking about it a little bit more announcing a 20GB card coming out in a few months might ease demand in the meantime, "flattening the curve" so to speak.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

16 gigs might get some people that don't realize that consoles are a unified RAM architecture so think they need 16 gigs of GDDR6 just like the consoles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WoW is getting ray tracing? Huh?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I questioned pairing a 2060 with an i7 10600k (money better spent on a more powerful card before cpu) but I suspect that computer is primarily used for video editing based on the RAM and what most be one or more of those big PCIE SSDs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DrDork posted:

Eagerly awaiting /r/AMD to try to explain that RT is just another performance-eating gimmick if it turns out that the 6000 series gets slaughtered in RT games because of this.

Quake II RTX will be the only "real" benchmark

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Forget about DLSS, can’t wait for Bethesda’s next game to poo poo the bed with its RT

Watch their next release be Oblivion: RTX.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Not fast enough.

That’s the kind of posting we need to stay in the top 10 on port royal!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

the way I read it, if I manage to snag a 3070 on the 29th, I can apply to step up to a 3080 or 3090 thereafter, right?

And if I find a leprechaun on the 29th I can step up to a pot of gold.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VorpalFish posted:

It's not just a few degrees difference - it's also making more noise to produce those results. Adjust the fan curve on an aib card to match the thermals on the FE gives you a card that is basically inaudible.

So yeah I'd say the aibs are worth it over the FE at least in this fantasy scenario where to get to pick what you buy.

While all the AIB cards significantly outperform the FE in those gamernexus noise normalized benchmarks and, well, everything else, having any 3080 is better than having no 3080 and it looks like the FE is the only one that actually is $699 in practice?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 25, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m on mobile and made a typo :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

To be honest I wouldn’t believe an AMD graphics leak unless it complained about the driver.