Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Which 970 should I buy motherfuckers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Went with ASUS for my 770, its been good to me. Guess I'll stick with em

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm a click away from ordering the STRIX and I'm losing my mind wondering if I'd just be better off ordering another 770 and going SLI AAAAHHHHHHH this wont be as stressful when I check my lotto ticket tomorrow and find out I've won

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I ordered my Strix 970 2 weeks ago on a Saturday, someone came along the following Thursday and bought my 770, I thought I'd get my new card the next day or Monday. Emailed shoprbc for an update, they hadn't even got the card from Asus and weren't going to until Wednesday. Wednesday came, I emailed again, they got some in but there were orders ahead of mine so mine would be filled next week hopefully when they got more. Still haven't as of now, but Thursday I ordered another from Canada Computers as I was thinking of going SLI anyway, they are listed on the NVidia site as a partner for this promotion. That hasn't shipped either so I'm wondering if I'll get in on this at all. There's a big picture of Alistair on the box of my Maximus V Formula motherboard, was supposed to be a voucher for AC and some other stuff with that but that was MIA as well. Are all these bundles and vouchers just scams or what? I couldn't care less about AC but I at least wouldn't mind getting to try FC4 for free, or even the Crew.

I'm here itching to get these new cards and at the same time there's sweet gently caress all out now that I want to play. Want to make the jump up to 1440p and G-Sync but the ROG Swift isn't in stock anywhere either. I'm hoping by the time its available again another manufacturer will be at market with an equivalent for a bit cheaper

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Took out my 770, used the integrated graphics til my new card showed up. Installed it, machine only boots to windows loading screen and then nothing when the login page should be displayed. Entered safe mode and removed all existing drivers, still the same. Lights on my mouse and keyboard all shut off as well at this point though everything on the tower looks fine. Bios shows gpu dimm post, the little light is on the side of the card, again everything looks fine until just before login. Thoughts? 750w psu, only a year old but I think it should be fine.

edit: magically fixed itself like most problems.

I got one of my 970s from Canada Computers and they honored the promo, sent me the code as soon as I inquired about it yesterday. I asked the other company I ordered from who isn't listed as a partner on the NVidia site and they said anything after Nov 1 should have a code and they'll let me know.

Double edit: Rebooted cause battlefield thought my portrait monitor was landscape and vice versa, and it's hanging again before login. Think my psu is a big pile of poo poo?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 6, 2014

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

cisco privilege posted:

What model PSU? If it's a Raidmax or Cooler Master, then yes, it is probably garbage. If it's a Seasonic or decent CWT-based model then it's probably not that.

Its a Thermaltake Smart 750, and I was thinking of going with Corsair if I had to buy another one. Oh well. I went into safe mode and uninstalled all drivers again, that has me up and running once more but I have the feeling that it will poo poo the bed again when I reboot.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So like...should I be using Afterburner? Jesus the ASUS GPU tweak is loving awful, crashes on me most of the time (no everything isn't jacked up on max), doesn't automatically reapply my saved settings after reboot etc etc. I just assumed Afterburner was just for MSI cards.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 7, 2015

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

OP says "very minor" differences between x8 PCIe and x16. I'm running a 3770k and SLI 970s, thus they are 8x as that CPU only will do 16x with a single GPU. Forget the money part of it, is there a significant graphical performance gain to be had by upgrading my CPU? (and thus the board as well of course yadda yadda)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Using shadowplay with Geforce experience to stream to twitch, is there any way to stop it from changing your channel title to [game title] powered by GeForce?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Time to sell off one of my strix 970s and make my rig the htpc I've been wanting for a while. I really hope this thing can comfortably handle 4k

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

AMD just folded

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

My 780 Ti can do TF2 at over 120 fps at 4k.

But valve games don't matter

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have the ROG swift G-Sync and I'm wondering what to do if I move forward with my plans in lieu of the 1080 announcement. I mean it would be kinda overkill to have a second monitor. Thats the only thing I'm wondering about now. I really, really have gotten used to the ultra smooth visuals and motion, but I know if I jump to 4k I'm going to be going back to 60hz.

2400. Without tax or shipping. Without that new 1080. Oh boy.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 7, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

repiv posted:

You don't need a 1000W PSU to run a 90W CPU and a 180W GPU.

I like to leave some overhead in case I go SLI again in the future

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ZobarStyl posted:

Also, what are you really doing with 32 gb of RAM? Unless 'fuckload of Chrome tabs' or 'tons of VM's' immediately comes to mind 16 is already well above most needs.

Look again

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Back in the XP days I used to tweak everything to death, now I have no time for that noise. Is there anything current I should be doing to maybe eke a bit more out of my cards? Pair of STRIX 970s. I dont even have the ASUS software installed since I cleaned everything up a while back, I just find their software really bad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just fired up the new Forza demo. Runs okay with everything max @1440, I have a pair of 970s. But its not good enough. God drat I want that 1080ti but its just not in the cards right now. Its probably foolish to sell them off and try and get a 1080 as a stopgap isn't it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How much difference are you really gonna see on one iteration of a particular card to another? Especially within the same manufacturer?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do you cool dudes do to prop up heavy video cards cause mine are sagging like hundred year old tits

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tweet or Facebook post a moment from the Star Wars universe that references 1138 (prisoner transfer) and you could win a voucher to buy the Titan Xp for 11 bucks. US/UK/France/Germany only D:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What's the lowest GeForce card that will output 4K and has digital audio and can be had in low profile? This is for a HTPC

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm trying to keep it cheap as possible. Picked up this old desktop at a thrift store for about $9, core 2 duo, 2/80gb, W7 pro license. Can snag 8gb of ddr2 Ram for 17 bucks on eBay, just wanna be able to output to 4K when I get a new TV if I'm gonna make a HTPC out of it. It only has VGA and DVI, so that converter is no good to me. I'll go back to 700 series if I can track down something

codo27 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 26, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Netflix I don't care about but gf has it so might be nice to be able to. I figured for just playing videos I could use almost any ol' thing, but I know my brother's 560ti won't output 4k.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It would be dumb to sell my 2 970s (4gb) for a 1080 wouldn't it? (the 1080 is used and cheap, just popped up for sale locally)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think I can easily get my money back selling the cards I have, and then alleviate any SLI woes and only have one card pumping out heat, so I think I'm gonna do it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Intel making discrete graphics? in 2020 Whats next in this crazy old world?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just a reminder that you're insane if you're still back on 7

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

New fortnite skin?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

track day bro! posted:

I wish we were getting all these cheap 1080 and 1080ti's the cheapest new 1080 i can find is £450, the cheapest 1080ti is £600 and it's a gigabyte blower card.

With those prices I might as well spend a bit more and get a brand new gen card anyway :shrug:

Just looking at PCP and fucks sake. if by some chance I could get some fool(s) to give me $200 a pop for my 970s (CAD$), I'd still be looking at 600 out of pocket for a 1080ti. I mean yeah I'm sure I would be good for a while at 1440 but still. I'm so glad I'm winning the lottery tonight

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm seeing 1080tis for like 600 CAD on ebay. How much of a death sentence is it if its been mined? Guidelines above are helpful. But I'm getting antsy here and thinking about ordering something. If it was mined, theres no way for them to tell that for it to void the warranty or anything is it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of the ones I threw on my watch list is a MSI Armor. Jeez a lot of people complaining about the cooling on newegg, but amazon reviews are better. I dont liquid cool so I'm a bit concerned.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I'm not loving with that if I have to go spend more money right away on replacing the cooler. If I move ahead with my custom desk I think thats gonna help things a lot but still dont wanna chance it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What about Zotac? I dont really wanna go that way but its all Best Buy carries here and I could finance through them and buy new.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Liking things loud is a double edged knife. Love my loud music in the car, but I cant hear if the thing is loving falling apart. Same goes for the PC really. I cant hear any amount of fans over the speakers.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seems legit
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gigabyte-AO...FgAAOSwA71bm8-j

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Remember Detonator

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Security vulnerabilities regularly pop up in graphics drivers and not updating can be a significant security threat.

How much of digital security issues are caused by misinformed idiots running around denouncing updates? Yeah, I'm sure the companies are paying devs to make them just for the hell of it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This story was posted yesterday. Not last year, yesterday.

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-boasts-that-rx-vega-64-comfortably-overtakes-gtx-1080-in-forza-horizon-4-benchmark

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If I get extended or a new job I still think I may just go with a used 1080ti for my 1440p/144hz needs going forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Talking in maple syrup hockey puck dollars here but I can snag a 1080ti for about 650-700 used on eBay whereas to preorder the 2080 its 1100 bucks plus tax and fifty loving dollar shipping, so north of 1300. I've made my decision!