Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a 7970 that gets as hot as 96C when playing mwo on a triple monitor set up. Most every other game stays below 80C. Is that safe? The fan only ramps up to 66% automatically when I wouldnt mind it going 100%. The noise is a non issue most of the day but I cant just leave it at 100% all the time. Can I set a more aggressive fan profile?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks for the help, i was running the catalyst control center that came with the drivers. I was able change the fan profile to use 100% instead of 66%, but it still turns up after it gets hot instead of as it gets hot

Ill give msi a try and I can also open up some of the soundproofed holes on the top of my case
How can I turn off CCC's fan profiles when I still need it running for eyefinity? Do I just have them both running and hope MSI's overwrite it?

thank god im not a buttcoin miner

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 12, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had my card go bad on me recently. I got 3 years of overclocked use out of it so im not too upset. It was a 7970 that started to flicker which progressed outputting a white screen with grey lines If I did anything but be on the desktop. This morning I couldnt get any picture out of it at all.

I set it back to factory and was able to boot up but I got the white screen when I tried to load a game.

I went shopping for an r9 290 but all they had were gtx 970's in stock and I needed something now. I'm pretty pleased with it and it seems like a noticeable step up in power except that everything seems like load a tiny bit slower. The graphics are better but there is a small stutter whenever graphics load in. I am on all the most current drivers and I uninstalled all the old radeon stuff.

Is there such a thing as graphics card repair? The 7970 was relatively expensive and still a good card. It would be worth fixing and using in a new build if possible. Im okay if its not since I feel I did get my money's worth out of it.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 27, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get why people are mad. Its still a great card for the good price right?
Is there any possible outcome to this beyond Nvidia saying "oops sorry"

Is this something that will only affect people trying to play current games at 4k or will it have negative effects at low resolutions too? I imagine that you gotta really push it to notice anything and not a lot of people are doing that and will never notice.

To use a car analogy. I dont think if I would care if my car had 50hp less than advertised if it could still hit the same 0-60 time in the brochure. If that error resulted in a lower resale value i would be upset and I can see something similar for the card. Even though its a great card you are getting less than you paid for and thats a bummer

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 27, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

foxsports posted:

TIGERS prop Matt Lodge has been stood down from training after being arrested earlier this month, with the NRL’s Integrity Unit launching an investigation into the incident.

Reports emerged on Wednesday that Lodge, who was sanctioned by the NRL last year for writing “c***” on his wrist strapping while playing for NSW in their Under-20s State of Origin fixture, was arrested earlier this month in notorious Sydney nightspot Kings Cross.

“Wests Tigers can confirm that Matthew Lodge has been charged by the NSW Police following an altercation in the early hours of Sunday 11 January 2015,” the Tigers said in a statement on Wednesday.

“The club finds Lodge’s actions unacceptable and is cooperating fully with the NRL Integrity Unit.

“Lodge was stood down from training for one week due to a breach of club protocol and further punishment will be considered once the NRL Integrity Unit has concluded investigating the matter.

“Wests Tigers will make no further comment at this time.”

According to reports, Lodge, who has played four NRL games for the Tigers, after joining them from Melbourne last season, was arrested after refusing to leave a Kings Cross nightclub.

yeah suck it nvidia?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And I haven't used a tower cooler ever since Thermalright started doing stupid-rear end poo poo like an all-copper tower.

Let me repeat that, all-copper. Base plate, heat pipes, and fins. All copper. Stupid poo poo was maybe, 3 pounds and just asking for board delamination.

I had a not quite as heavy but still massive grapefruit sized round cooler by Zalman I think. Even with the backplate is the board really that weak?

Gwaihir posted:

You used to be able to just put a drop of superglue on the offending coils, but most of them are solid/enclosed versions now. You can try capping your FPS at different numbers, or even just changing the voltage or overclock on your card slightly. It's just about getting away from whatever the exact frequency is that's resonating those suckers.

Or just RMA and play the card lotto.

I had no idea coil whine was a thing. I just looked up some examples and I definitely had it bad. When I got my 7970 there was a high pitched almost ringing sound under heavy load. I just started using enclosed headphones to "fix" it.

Luckily my 970 is dead quiet and nothing has really taxed it hard enough to approach 50% fan speed

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 30, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwaihir posted:

I don't think it's that the sinks themselves are especially fragile or poorly mounted, but when you have a couple pounds of metal hanging off a really pricey part of your PC while being punted by UPS, it pays to take a few precautions.

yeah I guess the movement while shipping can make that 3lbs effectively much heavier. Are the huge cpu heatsinks still en vogue or did the closed loop water systems finally catch up?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I understood what you are saying that sounds like good news in my eyes. I like the idea of consistently performing CPUs that have near peak performance out of the box.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
saw this while browsing newegg

GIGABYTE GV-N980X3WA-4GD GeForce GTX 980 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready ATX 3-WAY SLI GAMING Graphics Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5-727-_-Product

Water cooled 3-way 980s, who is this even for?
Obviously its just for people with too much money, but im still amazed it exists.
I like the suitcase!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just how much of a deal do high-end pc builders get on parts?
Im wondering how Digital Storm's bolt II battlebox with a titan z costs 3.6k when that barely covers the retail price of the parts if at all.
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1034531
I understand if its a situation where they are only making $100, but them paying much less for parts seems more likely.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rakthar posted:

Yaknow I've seen a few people make this comment and I'm trying to figure out if they have a really bad case of tinnitus or if they are unfamiliar as to what coil whine sounds like.

Can you hear the noise in this clip? Do you hear the noise changing frequency which is part of what makes it so annoying?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PMcmOxZ7_0

mine was like that but not nearly as bad. Totally liveable compared to that mess.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

I do have tinnitus. That's why I don't experience coil whine.

giving yourself tinnitus is a low cost method of eliminating coil whine

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krailor posted:

There's plenty of markup there. Here's a comparable system that just needs to have a heatsink added to it which retails at about $2k. (you even get more recent MB & SSD options)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($318.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($218.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($98.19 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1975.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 19:21 EDT-0400

Im not arguing the effectiveness of their build, just the price point. Theirs is clearly not a good value. You can easily put something together for much less that will do much of the same stuff.
If you price the exact parts, not the parts with similar specs, it comes out funny looking price-wise. There are parts like the watercooling setup and the case that are hard to price since they are exclusive to that builder, but you can guess that they arent gonna be pricing it for 66.98 if you asked to buy just a case from them.
Im pretty sure it was 3.6k back when titan Zs were 3k. It made less sense then.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 31, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

FYI I've been able to mitigate coil whine significantly with a little overclock, dont know how universal that is though

im confused. overclocking is both the cause and solution?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rastor posted:

This is sort of interesting: ASUS is releasing a GTX 970 with a blower cooler and calling it a "GTX 970 Turbo":

http://www.techpowerup.com/211252/asus-announces-geforce-gtx-970-turbo-graphics-card.html

is this the style of cooler I would want to pair with an Asus strix 970? This one on top?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
currently using a 970 on a 2560x1600 monitor and a 1920x1200 side monitor that I use for web-browsing and multitasking.

If I wanted more graphics power, am I better off getting another 970 for sli or selling it and upgrading to a 980 considering the price will be very similar with either option. Is there another option at this price point im missing?

Is SA-mart a good price to sell graphics cards that havent been ruined by bitcoin mining?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does the "x2" on a 295x2 mean its dual GPU version of something? I dont see a 295, so what is it 2 of? What kind of resolutions or applications does a card like that make sense for? Does having both cards together like that bypass some of the hassles of SLI/crossfire or is it more of a convenience or space saving measure?

From what I can tell from benchmarks, it appears to be extremely close in performance to 970's SLI. Both are the same price but with the massive power usage of the 295x2, im not sure why anyone would pick it.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 18, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah it's crossfired 290X'es set on one board, with water cooling. It came out exactly a year ago for 1500$, a single 290X was 600$ iirc.

does it show up on your device manager as 2, 290x's or as a single 295x2?

I didnt know it came out that long ago, I was assuming it was built to compete with the current batch of nvidia stuff. With pure function in mind, is it a better idea than 2, 970's or is it too close to call safely?

my 970 pulls up to 230W and 2 of them isnt significantly less than the 500w the 295x2 wants.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks, that was a good explanation. I have a lot to think about.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You're not going to find the MSI ~Golden Dragon~ edition for anything less than ~$450 now, and the only thing it offered over the base model was a pure (and heavier) copper heatsink assembly, golden accents, a backplate, and the near-certainty that if you ever had to RMA it, you'd end up just getting a regular red-plastic 4G version back since they really *did* make it a Limited Edition.

The most 'limited' MSI out there now that you can still buy for a comparable price to others is the "100ME" version, which is the 4G with a backplate and accents in a neon-green to represent nVidia's 'colors.'

TL;DR: Just buy the red-plastic 4G version.

cost be damned I would have bought it if I knew about it before. I love that companies make stuff that they know will sell like crazy on asian market. They should have included dota 2 hats somehow.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HalloKitty posted:

It was a great value deal, but since then, some games have launched that simply do not launch without a 4 thread cpu..

like what? is this because consoles are multi-core now?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

More like AAA titles are targeted at consoles first, then ported to PC, instead of the other way around.

I understand how consoles can run nice looking games while having lower end specs due to having consistent hardware that makes it easier to squeeze every bit of power out.

For PCs is it easier to just overuse the CPU on a port than to optimize it to run both on the GPU and CPU somewhat equally? Do the recommended specs on the games reflect the higher CPU usage at least?

edit: please explain like im stupid

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 21, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yudo posted:

I spend a huge amount of my day staring at a computer screen. As such I want to buy an IPS 2560 x 1440 monitor soon. I don't play games a lot, but when I do I like them to not run like poo poo. I currently have an AMD 7970--more or less equivalent to the current 280x. While fine for HD content, it will be over matched at 2k.

My power supply is a high end 750w. With that in mind, would it be more cost efficient to buy another 280x and crossfire, or switch over to the more efficient GTX 970 and pray prices go down so I can buy a second? Is waiting for new and shiny worthwhile e.g. DX 12 enabled stuff? Also, I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but diagnosing system crashes, 90% of them on my machine have been due to AMD drivers; are NV's any better?

Thanks for any advice.

I have an IPS 2560 x 1440 and ran it and a secondary 1920x1200 no problem on a 7970. What are you concerned it wont be able to run?

I switched to a gtx 970 when my 7970 failed after many years of heavy work. Its not a crazy step up in power but its way more stable.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Desuwa posted:

Seconding this, Firefox uses GPU acceleration for everything and it's unable to recover from driver crashes.

I can still see disabling FF alleviating problems in games though.

that would explain why firefox runs like garbage on my crappy laptop but chrome is silky smooth

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does nvidia 3d vision only work with certified monitors or will it work with any 120hz screen provided i buy their glasses?

I just found out my huge korean monitor is 120hz and i have a gtx 970

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a comparable benchmark I can run to get an idea of how well I will run witcher 3?
Is witcher 2 on the same engine?

If I need to upgrade my graphics, i would rather do it now while I can still get a free copy of the game.

If there is a better thread to ask this in, please let me know and ill move it

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 29, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GrizzlyCow posted:

Only way to tell how well your system will run Witcher 3 is to play Witcher 3. You got a GTX 970 and an i5, so you're probably fine.

When it comes out, you can check out Guru3d or HardOCP to see if they have a performance review.

This is probably a better question for the parts picking thread, but you won't get a good answer until Witcher 3 is out.

cool.

The last game I had to upgrade for was ffxiv ARR. They had an excellent benchmarking tool released way before the game launch. I wish more games would do that kind of thing. It totally nailed how much power the game needed.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 29, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poetic Justice posted:

That bundle is really making me consider getting a 970. I'm looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-GAMING-100ME/dp/B00TPLKR7Q/ref=cm_wl_huc_item is that a decent MSI one? It sort of sucks because I was planning on holding out until a consumer Vr headset is out and weigh my options then, but I was planning on getting these two games anyway. I have a 2gb 770 right now, so I'm assuming the difference won't be huge but it will probably help a bit in elite dangerous in Vr at least, right?

I saw it and was about to pull the trigger when I realized my mobo supports crossfire, not sli.

I was stupid and a "team red" buyer when I built it. I was positive I would only buy AMD cards forever.

Are current motherboards supporting only one or the other or do they make most of the decent mobos with support for both?

It's this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131770

I really wish witcher 3 would hurry up and come out so I can see where my system stands. Im just looking for an excuse to upgrade.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 6, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hace posted:

So flip them for like $50 each

not the best advice atm when witcher 3 pre order is $30

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hace posted:

Where?

was actually $39, $30 is the converted european price.
On g2a and greenmangaming right now

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bleh Maestro posted:

:siren: Oculus Rift final specs released! :siren:

The final Rift is 2160x1200 @ 90hz and requires a GTX 970 or higher

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/15/8612027/oculus-rift-pc-recommended-specs

nice! With specs like that, how is console VR like sony's going to work? with a tiny resolution?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 15, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

Is there any reason to even buy a video card with less than say 8 or 12gb vram nowadays

im pretty sure 90% of people dont game at 4k or want to spend $600+ on a card. I imagine most people are going to go with less than 8gb

A better question may be why does someone think they need that much?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 22, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont understand nvdia's naming schemes. Where does the 980ti falls in terms of power if past "ti's" are taken into account?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Soooo, if the 980Ti is really 95% of a Titan X for $649 how are things looking for AMD? :stonklol:

Also, how are y'all Titan X early adopters feeling if the above is true? :lol:

i doubt any titan x buyers are very concerned about money considering its a 1000% luxury purchase that was never good value compared to the 970 and 980

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 31, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DOOP posted:

Dumb question, but what is the Radeon equivalent of the 970?

your imagination

they arent doing so well this cycle. They have some stuff that matches it in performance but is very power hungry and pretty much last gen top tier stuff with price cuts.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 31, 2015

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Lapre posted:

MSi for air coolers, EVGA for their new Hybrid units

Though a number of companies are debuting 3 fan solutions for TI including asus with a new DirectCU iii

EDIT: looks like Titan X and 980ti are both fully DX12 compliant. 980 and below are not.

is that up for preorder/sale yet?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heavy Lobster posted:

960 bruh. Although since I've heard pretty much zero talk about it and a ton about the 970 so is there something secretly bad about the 960? Knowing the code thing is limited time is good, though!

Any leads on where I would find used cards? I'm definitely not averse to them, I just have no idea where to even go to look for them other than I guess maybe SA Mart, or if someone in this thread knows for sure they're getting an upgrade and want to cut me a sweet deal on something.

im very likely buying a 980ti to replace an asus 970. I will be hitting sa-mart first to sell it

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heavy Lobster posted:

Any idea as to the price you'd be looking for? I'd absolutely be interested in nabbing it, although I feel like even used 980Tis are pricey.

probably like $275 depending on if they change in price when its launches.

how are you talking about used 980ti prices when nobody is selling them?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
importing through a store probably isnt but definitely if its just "some guy"
If they are $330 here and it can be shipped for $50 with tracking and insurance, why not just import them?
what kind of import fees do you pay on mail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Filthy Monkey posted:

People are reporting 2-3 weeks until we get more widespread availability.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/38g48w/amazon_estimated_to_have_gtx_980ti_in_23_weeks/

At the very least, I suppose it means I'll get to see AMD's reveal before ordering a card. Given the chance though, I would buy a 980ti right now.

some dumbass on reddit, "Great, just sold my gpu, now no computer for a month..."