Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The antialiasing section could use a few words about SMAA. It's fast, it looks great, and you can inject it into most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Do all new video cards have the power connectors on the top edge of the card? I have an awkward HTPC case, and it's more convenient if they're at the back.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Kramjacks posted:

I tried Borderlands 2 with Nvidia 3D vision. It works and there weren't any graphical glitches but there also wasn't any real implementation.

I haven't tried this myself, but the HelixMod guys made a patch for Borderlands 2 to improve the 3d Vision effects.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I've seen Quake 3 videos where they got the engine to crank out a 300 fps video file, which is then downsampled to a 60 fps video with motion blur. It looks better than normal motion blur, but it still doesn't look natural.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Although, maybe with a "moar cores!" approach game developers will be forced to multithread things and we end up with PC ports that are actually able to take advantage of quad core (plus hyperthreading?) systems to the fullest, ushering in a new age of extremely efficient PC gaming?

Probably not, but I'm optimistic :v:

Not only that, but in order to use the 8 gigs of ram the XBox 420 is rumored to have, the binaries will have to be 64 bit. We'll be getting highly multithreaded, 64-bit games optimized for x86 architecture.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
It must be awkward for the physics middleware guys right now. PhysX is owned by nVidia, Havok is owned by Intel, and here come the new consoles full of AMD hardware.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Gonkish posted:

That said, Vega 56 might be useful for someone like me who wants a 144Hz ultrawide with some form of variable refresh, but doesn't want to blow $1000 on it.

Why does it have to be ultrawide? There are plenty of 1080p 144hz freesync monitors out there. Vega seems like a good fit for one of those. I wonder how many games you could get up near 144 fps on a Vega 56 if you disabled MSAA.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Paul MaudDib posted:

surely a Chief Gaming Scientist knows what they're taking about?

Has Robert ever said anything correct? He's gone on record saying the the way to get Freesync working is to switch on vsync.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They skew things pretty heavily in their case reviews, about all they are good for is pretty footage. It's stuff like saying that a case runs "a little hot" when the difference between it and a well cooled case is 7-8C, a huge difference. It's very annoying because it's so subtle and it's not like they are lying outright, just phrasing stuff in a very deceptive way. Really the only ones I trust are Gamers Nexus and Jay, because both are pretty blunt and open about how they do stuff.

If you want some good case reviews, watch anything by Leo with Kitguru. The b-roll isn't as shiny as Hardware Canucks, but he'll pick apart any flaws that case has, then he'll show you the full closed-loop watercooling solution he put together in there.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

I want to see someone release a Vega card with no cooling solution and socket 115x mounting holes around the chip. "gently caress it, you figure it out" edition.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

..btt posted:

Also sporting empty RAM sockets

Maybe AMD will bring back sideport memory for Raven Ridge.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

1gnoirents posted:

I wish you luck buying a $400 Vega 56

In my Radeon fanfiction, AMD was being honest about building up stock before putting Vega on sale, except they were talking about just Vega 56, and also they'll have enough supply to meet demand and keep the price low.

Or maybe AMD realized that they can gently caress up as bad as they want and it will hardly matter because miners will buy out everything anyway.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Cirrus Logic 5465 - No OpenGL support, and couldn't even do DirectX properly. I played Shogo on this thing with broken graphics anyway.

Voodoo Banshee - This card was actually a Voodoo2 but with the second texturing unit removed and replaced with a 2d chip. You could get 3d acceleration with only one video card, but you lost multitexturing. I would have been better off with a Voodoo 2 and my crappy Cirrus Logic card handling 2d.

This thing shipped with branded Monster Fusion drivers that made Windows 98 BSOD on boot.

Matrox G400 MAX - A pretty good card. I remember when they started releasing TurboGL hacks so that games like Half Life 1 wouldn't have such terrible performance.

Radeon 8500 All-In-Wonder - Had some good times with this card. The pixel shader support was just good enough to make the water in Morrowind look amazing.

GeForce 6800 - This was actually an AGP card, because I didn't want to get a new motherboard.

Radeon 3870 - Needed something powerful enough for Fallout 3.

Radeon 4770 - Gave my old system to my brother and made a slightly newer one for myself. I also liked having a card that didn't draw too much power.

Geforce 465 - Actually screw power efficiency GIMME THEM FRAMES

Geforce 660 ti - Dang good card right here, lasted me for years.

Radeon RX 470 - It's been a good match for my freesync ultrawide. I almost sold it so I could spend that money on a Vega, but I'm feeling okay about not doing that.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Reasons to buy Vega:

- The already-bad driver support for your Polaris card is bound to get worse now that RTG is focusing on Vega drivers

- It will heat your room in the coming winter

- Having a rare, difficult to get piece of hardware will make your system more unique

- It might secretly be good

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

SourKraut posted:

The only drawback to 1080p Gsync is that I don't believe there are any IPS displays available for it. G-sync and IPS don't start until 1440p.

There's the LG 34UC89G. It's a 34" ultrawide at 2560x1080. I wouldn't call it a budget option, though. There are also some VA panels out there.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
In my *sync fanfiction, some random Norwegian guy pops up like, "Sup my dudes, I finally got done hacking nVidia drivers to support freesync. Linux only, lol".

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Freesync is also saddled with piss-poor framerate software limiters. The FRTC thing built into Catalyst driver just fails to work a lot of the time. I've found a solution that actually works on my RX 470, which is to set FRTC to X, the limit you want, and then set the framerate limit in Rivatuner to X + 1. Any frames that try to slip past FRTC get caught by Rivatuner. It sounds absurd, and it absolutely is, but it works. Also, Rivatuner can properly limit the framerate in Vulkan, which FRTC can't do at all.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Seems like post-process AA cables would be pretty good on the Dreamcast, or Gamecube, or various others things that don't have HDMI out.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I'd like to see a GPU with a tower style cooler on it. No need to worry about the weight of the cooling solution if it's big enough to reach the bottom of the chassis. I saw a mod once where someone put a hyper 212 on their video card, it was way better than the stock cooler and you could still fit low-profile cards under it. With a full ATX case, you would have at least 135 mm to work with. You could also stick a 120mm RGB fan on there for maximum bling, it would look great through a tempered glass window.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
RX 470 @ 1920x810

Screw DPI scaling, I made a custom resolution for my ultrawide.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I've been doing some testing, and I'm convinced that directing some airflow right at your GPU fans is The Correct Way To Cool A GPU. Testing my RX 580 with Furmark, it gets up to 67° C with the fans at full speed. This is in a Thermaltake V21 cube case in my chilly New England apartment, so it's in pretty good shape without tweaking, although it does make about 50 dba of noise.

Putting a fan over the GPU cools it 5-6°. Setting the fan so it blows directly into the GPU fans cool it 5° more. That might be nice if I wanted to overclock, but I just want the system to be cool enough while making as little noise as possible. With the GPU fans at 60%, and the extra fan pointed at the card, I hit 67°, the same temp I got before with the fans at full speed. This setup was just 40 dba, though.

This seems like a pretty great result considering that the extra fan is just a Cooler Master 120mm I pulled off an old Hyper 212. I'm sure I could get better results with a proper 140mm airflow fan. I'm also wondering if in intake shroud could make things even better.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

eames posted:

yeah, I also have a s340 with aircooling and the top fan as an exhaust. All it does is create a thermal short circuit because the front opening sucks in all the hot air that the top fan exhausts. You can easily check this with smoke from a candle. I'm either going to block it or get an air filter and flip the fan for even more positive pressure.

Maybe we should be cutting holes in our desks and dumping all the hot air downwards through that hole. It would have the benefit of keeping your legs nice and warm.

1gnoirents posted:

I have more experience with this than I should. It boiled down to "some like it, some dont". For example, Gigabyte coolers (3 fan orange accent common on Pascal cards) actually get hotter with a fan pointed at it, where as a Evga SC2 cooler ate it up and ran cooler in the same exact scenario. But a fan pointed at the side of the Gigabyte cooler worked where the Evga cooler did not. Both open air coolers of a similar general design, so it boiled down to aerodynamic voodoo.

Could also see pretty dramatic differences if you moved a fan 1 inch away. Or not! Some cards run better with no airflow whatsoever to make it as confusing as possible!

See, this is why I want to get one of those aftermarket GPU coolers. They all have a nice space under them where hot air can get blasted out. I used my finger to try and find where the hot air was escaping my XFX card, and it seemed like most of it was leaving from the far end of the card near the power connections. That's the worst place for it to go, because then my air intakes are going to blow that hot air right back at the card, as well as my cpu heatsink! That's probably why my CPU temps go up a bit when I do a GPU stress test.

Before I go that far, though, I'm going to try taking the fan shroud off the card and strapping on a couple of decent fans. I know I'll get better results, but I'm curious to see exactly how much better it can be.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I wonder if this new chip, or something like it, will end up in the Playstation 5. Consoles are aching for more CPU power. It would be mind blowing if it actually ended up in a new Vita.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

CyberPingu posted:

Is anyone asking for that?

Me, I'm asking for that.

Stick a high refresh rate freesync screen on that bad boy, I want to play 120hz Spelunky on the go. Seriously. Create a system where developers know a 120hz display is provided by the platform, I want high framerate 2d games.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
monday: AMD's hardware is going into Intel CPUs
wednesday: Intel is going to make dGPUs
friday: The Playstation 5 is a video card, made by Apple

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

NewFatMike posted:

The fact that nothing absolutely insane has happened in GPU would this morning is a little disappointing given the rest of the week.

I'm sure Glaze3d will be hitting retail later this afternoon.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Ihmemies posted:

I'm never going to pay extra for "better" coolers from now on. This is like the 4th time I've had to swap the cooler so might as well buy those bottom barrel stock fan design models.

If you plan on getting an aftermarket cooler, it's not a bad idea to get an MSI Gaming X card. The VRM heatsink is a separate piece, and you can just leave it on after you take of the main heatsink.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Sniep posted:

All this talk about on top vs. for exhaust, though, has me concerned, since on top is the case-sponsored spot to mount a radiator (and it's the only spot I have room - as the exhaust fan spot lacks clearance for the rad/fan due to the CPU fan, which would then also need to be replaced, and that's a poo poo load more work than I want to do. I remain hopeful that top mounting will work with the case's built-in exhaust slots on top?

How about this - put the radiator at the top, then flip that exhaust fan and make it an intake. The rear exhaust spot has the airflow clearance to actually bring some cool air inside the case and blow it right onto your CPU and your GPU radiator. You can slap on a magnetic dust filter if you want to keep things clean.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
For a while I thought that 1920x1080 was 1 k, so putting four of those together was 4k.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well, your math is wrong but you actually arrived at the right conclusion nevertheless. 4K is exactly 4x1080p resolution.

Well, see, I was trying to figure out some honest math on that one. Calling a resolution 4k when it doesn't measure 4,000 didn't work. Taking the 1080p moniker and rounding it down to 1k just seemed like a marketing move to make it sound cool. Then you could use a k as a sort of megapixel to measure resolution. If that were the case, you couldn't claim that they were lying about the resolution, because they were actually rounding down a bit.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Paul MaudDib posted:

Rumor: AMD will stop producing Vega reference cards.

Get ready for prices to spike even more, on top of the whole mining thing.

What, did Apple get enough of them already?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

BIG HEADLINE posted:

How they get off selling that card and *not* including a bracing arm for it...

Still not big enough. I want to see 5 slot coolers. I want a tower style cooler on a gpu with just enough room under it for low-profile cards.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDD2MFGdRCE&t=671s

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

K8.0 posted:

You should use it globally, and for games with frame limiters google to find out if the frame limiter is good. If it is, create a game profile that disables it and use the in-game limiter. If you're too lazy to do that, using it globally is still dramatically better than leaving your framerate uncapped.

You can stack your frame limiters by setting them to slightly different values. When I had a Radeon and a freesync monitor that maxed out at 75 hz, I set the global limit to 73. Then I set RTSS to 74. In-game limit would be set to 72. The in-game limiter tends to work perfectly, so the other two don't need to interfere. The global limit worked sometimes, but was unreliable, and some frames would get past it. Having RTSS waiting behind it worked in every game I was playing.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Zip tying 120mm fans to GPU heatsink is really something of a tradition

Hell yeah it is

Sininu posted:

Would this be a viable strategy if I got couple PWM NF-A12x25's that have better static pressure and an adapter to plug them directly into the GPU?

It works great. There are a couple of minor problems that can come up: 1. now that the stock fans are gone, you can hear the vrms. Nothing you can really do about that. Problem 2 is that video cards don't really use the PWM spec properly and like to run the fans at the same RPM as the stock solution. That might actually be fine, and if it isn't, you can easily fix it with Afterburner.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

B-Mac posted:

Do you mean the 1660 Super will go toe to toe with the 1070? 1650 Super isn’t close to a 1070, otherwise no one would buy the 1660, 1660 Super or 1660 ti.

This is correct.

quote:

Christ, gently caress nvidias naming lineup is generation.

This is also correct.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Let's put it this way, how does playing Destiny 2 at 1080p Low at around 40fps with significant input lag off a bus-powered card sound?

It was only able to pull off 40+ fps in that hand-picked part of the game where they just went up a narrow staircase where nothing was happening.

For some reason I thought Intel's GPU was going to be a compute beast that could also do high-end gaming. I'm really disappointed that it turned out to be a weakass integrated GPU that was split off into it's own card. Would have been nice for someone to compete with nVidia at the high end.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

ItBreathes posted:

(Xbox 4? Is there an abbreviation for this thing yet?)

xboxse.cx

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Does anyone know what's up with nVidia's announcement for March 19th? Their official Australia/New Zealand account had a tweet hyping up something vague, but that tweet is gone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I'm shocked that the only storage solution in there is the SSD. I was convinced that there would be a mechanical drive in there too. A typical game has a bunch of content, like FMV video, that takes up a bunch of space but doesn't need fast storage.