Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Started getting stability issues on a SC 680 inside a brand new build.
Didn't seem like any real rhyme or reason either. Stress tests showed the card could only max out at 80c under 95% load and would normally hang out around 50c with zero artifacts reported under stress. Came back one day and the system was no longer putting a signal out to the monitor on resume. Totally fine during use, full load etc. Starting shutting down instead of letting the system sleep, and when I'd come up from a cold boot the 680's fan would kick on 100% (which is drat loud btw) and refuse to send out a signal.

Tried reseating, updated the mobo bios, checked the voltage stability, updated to the latest stable gpu drivers, disabled a known wonky overvoltage option in bios, disabled all non used controllers/drivers in bios, ran stress tests on every other component, no dice. Got to the point today where I could barely spend anytime in the OS without losing signal and having the GPU fans kick on full.

Swapped out to a 8800, everything is stable thus far. Stated an RMA.

I don't know what to think. The temps never came anywhere near the warning threshold for the card even under full load and yet when the crashes occurred signal was lost and the fans would kick on 100% right away. Setting a higher rpm fan curve made no difference. It seemed like there was an issue in power stepping and the OS would freak out. Or the factory OC was totally unstable.

With all the issues on the 670 SC I'm starting to think the issue may be in overclocking these cards. If the issues persist on card #2 that'll tell me that even the manufacturers can't overclock these correctly and I'll flip it for a stock 670 and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Captain Libido posted:

A co-worker recently asked about a video card for his new build for Adobe CS6, going with an i7-3770K. He'll be mainly using Premiere and After Effects and in keeping to his budget, ~$300 is his max to spend on a GPU. Two weeks ago, he was leaning toward a GTX 570 but with the GTX 660 Ti at that price point, it seems like a better card on paper. Any input would be appreciated as he is ready to pull the trigger, but unsure of what card to get now.

Premiere has no support for the 6 series yet. I'm on an overclocked 3770k as well, and it really hasn't been a problem being software only for MPE.

You can add the card manually so it's recognized by the program, but according to devs on the adobe forums it's not as simple as that with this gen. They say it takes more then that to officially support kepler and that they are working on it. Once MPE can take advantage of the gpu then you'd gain the ability to have certain things real time that normally need render like select transitions.

On the plus, after effects was the same deal, and they pushed out a .0.1 release about a month after the 680 came out, so it's just a matter of time before premiere gets the same patch.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Alereon posted:

Isn't Mercury only supported on Fermi (GTX 400/500) cards? I thought we didn't get support on Kepler until the GTX 700-series.

Support for the 680 was just added in an update. I re ran an encode I did right before the switch from software to hardware. Software only (i7 3770k oc'd to 4.3) a 60 minute video being encoded to 480p from a mix of 1080i hdv and 1080p h.264 footage took 15 minutes..with hardware (gtx 680), 7 minutes.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Factory Factory posted:

Do you happen to have similar numbers for a Fermi card?

I don't, but I'd imagine it's close since the compute on the 6 series isn't what it could have been. The trade off being how much hotter the 5 series runs. I also haven't run a test of quicksync cpu encoding vs gpu AME encoding the same h.264 output, but I'd imagine they are very close. Everything I've read suggests quality takes a hit with quick sync encodes at the same bit rates though, so why bother?

Hoping the top end 7 series in a year isn't as compute neutered, but I can't see anyone complaining with current GPU acceleration in cs6.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Did they add support for the lower end cards? 680 is waaaayyyy outside budget.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/mercury-playback-engine.html

This lists the supported cards for MPE in hardware mode...The 570/580 are on there, the 680 isn't but the update dropped a week or two ago, so I'd imagine it'll be listed at some point soon now that it's officially supported.

You can "hack" in support for an unlisted card, quite easily actually (basic txt editing a config file), but it could either work beautifully or be insanely crashprone. The changes in compute between kepler and fermi meant that they had to actually go in and code support, so the "hack" was buggy until they did so.

So basically, if a nvidia card has been out for 6 months when a new version of CS comes out, there should definitely be support for CUDA. If a new card drops around the same time, expect a few month delay before getting official support in a patch, even though adobe is a partner.

My big concern is how new card support works with older versions. Will cs5 and 5.5 get 680 support too now that cs6 has it? If not it means when I swap out for the next 7 series in a year or whatever, I'll have to buy cs6.5 or 7 to get support for the 7 series, which is pretty terrible for consumers. I suppose we'll find out with cs5.5/5...

On the plus, adobe did crank out 680 support fast (~ 1 month) for aftereffects...kind of tells you AE is more important to them then premiere (and I'm sure photoshop does better then both)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

The 680 didn't come out till March 2012

I want to replace my 680, but not with a $900 card that is basically a 690 if the "titan" stuff is true. I thought we moved past the ludicrous "ultra" line Nvidia?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Don Lapre posted:

They arnt going to replace the architecture every year.

GeForce GTX 480 March 26, 2010 GF100
GeForce GTX 580 9 November 2010 GF110
GeForce GTX 680 March 22, 2012 GK104

The titan thing falls in line with the 480/580 release schedule.

I'm hoping whatever the real 8xxx line is from AMD gets them to fast track, but who knows.

mayodreams posted:

May I ask why? I have a 680 and a 2550x1600 monitor and I don't have any problems.

For that reason, I'm on a 2560x1600 panel as well and it gets taxed in certain situations, but nothing worth going to SLI for. Hence I'm hoping the next gen single card solution is the last card I'll need to buy for a few years. Plus, smaller fab, less power consumption, and everything that goes with it.

Edit: and hopefully less gimped CUDA wise, because the Tesla stuff is out of my range.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 28, 2013

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
20% bump over the 680 isn't selling me, but I'd be all over it if I had a 480/580. See you this time next year nvidia.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Hace posted:

You can find a 270X for around $200, or a 760 for around $240, but either upgrade will be kinda incremental and not a huge boost for ~$240 in my opinion: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/831?vs=854

I'd strongly suggest waiting for the next lineup from AMD or Nvidia, but if you really want something right away, look towards the 280X or 770.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202046 ?

I'm hoping nvidia puts out something in the $500 range that would be worth upgrading a 680 for. It's still rocking for 80% of what's out there at 1600p for what it's worth.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Evga 980 uses 2 six pin. Kind of nice being able to pull the adapters I had for 6+2 on the last card.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Petite Dinklage posted:

What's the realistic resale rate on a very lightly used GTX 760? I'm thinking of upgrading to the 970/980 soon and want to know if it will be worth selling the 760 or to keep it and use it in a HTPC

Average is around $150. Depends on how much ram or if it's factory overclocked. I managed to just sell off my 680 for $180 so that seems about right.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BurritoJustice posted:

Don't under any circumstance buy an EVGA 900 series card, they're terrible in basically every metric compared to other brands.

I've got a reference evga 980 with no issues at all. I think the issue is with their ACX stuff. I'm also a fan of their RMA/warranty support whereas I'd be a little more wary of dealing with Asus for that.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
my 30 inch dell pulls about 100-120w at 70% brightness. meanwhile everything in my tower (gpu, cpu, 4x drives) usually idles around 100-110w. I've got the 2011 and according to dell the '14 model only uses 60w "(typical)"..but switched to edge lighting (ehhh)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 20, 2014

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
There was some chart with a benchmark done with a 980 running on different cpus and there was either 0 fps changes or a +1-2 difference from a 2xxx to a 4xxxx upgrade. Another 970 would do far more then a mobo/cpu swap for you if you really cared. I'm happy with my one 980/3770k maxing out things at 1600/60 personally. Hoping to ride out 2560 for another 2 gpu cycles and then make the switch to 4k monitor/single gpu able to do 4k60 (or 120??)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Lord Bude posted:

If your card isn't built FTW, how are you supposed to get ahead in the game of pwns?

Is it ugly videocard time?

and of course, the champion.
not the ugliest, but the saddest.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 1, 2015

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Is it normal for a card to go up 50 bucks in msrp a few weeks after sale and stay there for 4 months? I got a reference evga 980 for 560 back in november and then it's jumped to 608 at all the retailers, which is odd since I was hoping at the 6 month mark it might be an option to pick up another for SLI. I don't really understand the pricing here..2x 980 = 1200, new titan which is on par = 1000...wha?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I paid 500 for a 680 when it launched, got 2.5 years out of it and then sold it off for just shy of 200 bucks on ebay after the 980s came out. The card sold pretty fast and took very little effort on my part. Hell even the warranty on the card is able to cross owners, which is rare on just about everything else. The second hand GPU market is huge..even if you've got some odd rear end non reference crap vendor card, someone will always want to SLI out there. I bet I could even successfully sell the 8800gts on my shelf.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
At least this stops the 50 dollar markup everyone has on the 980. I don't know that I'd spring for the extra 150 for 30% more performance in a ti model..I haven't had anything stress it at 2650x1600/60 so far.

I wonder what the next series is named..1080?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Nooooooo, I missed socket A talk :(

There is no greater torture in this world, then trying to attach this loving heatsink. I got PTSD just from seeing "socket A' & "clips".

I'm 31, so I don't really have a frame of reference for building anything older then 486/early Pentium stuff so I'm not sure if it was even worse prior to those generations..but holy hell..

I don't miss bleeding at least once per build. Thin sharp as gently caress metal that hasn't been sanded/smoothed at all and I'm sticking my hands and fingers into a whole beige case full of em willy nilly..over and over.

Jumpers. gently caress JUMPERS, especially on things like IDE and SCSI drives where you'd need to pull the worlds smallest rubber band off the world's smallest pins, and then reinsert them a mm down the line like you were performing open heart surgery or something. God help you if you somehow dropped the BLACK rubber jumper on your carpet somewhere. Hope you had extras.

And of course, as mentioned, this awful awful designed by satan tension system:

Where you'd pray to the lord that while using all your weight to drive the flathead screwdriver straight down and into the latch it didn't somehow slip from oh I dunno know, being metal on metal friction and stab the ever loving christ out of your mobo. Evil, evil poo poo. I didn't switch to intel builds until the c2d days and it seemed like it became much easier at that point all around.

Now, as I push a button and a drive cage pops out via gravity I think to myself I BLED FOR THIS

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 26, 2015

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Should I consider finally building a new system for Volta?

I'm on a 3770k/SSD/16 gigs of ram build from 2012. I started with a 680 and then every 2 years I'd flip the old card for half on ebay and grab the new x80. Currently on a 1080, which if it's being bottlenecked by the other components, it's so slight I really don't notice.

I have a VR HMD, and nothing I own is at 4k. I've had a 2560x1600/60 monitor as long as I've had the rig and I don't see upgrading that either anytime soon.

With this next gpu buy, that'll be a brand new gpu with 6 year old hardware..it feels..wrong? How likely is it that volta will be held back by older cpus (sandy bridge, ivy, etc)?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I've had to set up price trackers for my 680, 980 and 1080 to be able to get them within the first month. The trade off is getting it for msrp instead of a hike. The 680 and 1080 both went up in price slightly shortly after, the 980 oddly dropped by 20 bucks almost immediately after the first month. I think the one advantage to upgrading on a Ti cycle instead of a main release is availability..and of course, the refinement doesn't hurt.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

EdEddnEddy posted:

I picked up the EVGA SC17 1070 with G-Sync right before Christmas when they dropped the price to $1,400 (Or $,1300 without G-Sync but it's worth it). They did the same sale not too long ago but sold out pretty quick so it you want to keep an eye out for it you will have to be quick.

For that price considering all they threw into it (6820HK, 32G DDR4, 256G NVME, 1TB HDD, 17" 4K G-Sync, 2 Year Warranty, etc) and after getting it, the only thing that's a bummer is it is heavy and the port selection is pretty limited without a dongle.

The reviews you may find complain about the touchpad, which out of the box is pure garbage, but there is a Windows Precision Touchpad driver you can install that makes it into one of the best touchpad I have used. Funny Synaptec has gotten so bad at software after all these years.

The screen is one of the best 4K laptop screen I have seen. The color production on it almost makes it look like an OLED screen and the keyboard is fantastic to type on for a laptop.

For the price I feel it was one hell of a bang for the buck and so far have not been disappointed.

Amazon says this laptop is 10 pounds..that..can't be right?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I guess if you're looking at 800 for a new 1070 (which still blows my mind this is happening) it's not hard to justify the extra grand for the rest of the machine at 1800.

I know I'm not saying anything new but we're in some wacky poo poo when it's about half the cost to just get a laptop and use it as a tower rather than pay double for the same build in desktop parts.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My target for the foreseeable future is 1600p@60 and I feel like the 1080 is 90% able to handle it, but the ti is really the card I should have waited for.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I might try selling my 1080 here instead of eBay like the past two x80 cards. How high are the chances of shenanigans selling a used card on samart? (zero mining or oc, still has evga warranty, blah blah)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dead Goon posted:

code:
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\jt452\OneDrive\Documents\AtBS> cd 'c:\Users\jt452\OneDrive\Documents\AtBS'; ${env:PYTHONIOENCODING}='UTF-8'; ${env:PYTHONUNBUFFERED}='1'; & 'python' 'c:\Users\jt452\.vscode\extensions\ms-python.python-2018.7.1\pythonFiles\PythonTools\visualstudio_py_launcher.py' 'c:\Users\jt452\OneDrive\Documents\AtBS' '58076' '34806ad9-833a-4524-8cd6-18ca4aa74f14' 'RedirectOutput,RedirectOutput' 'c:\Users\jt452\OneDrive\Documents\AtBS\magic8Ball2.py'
Ask again later
PS C:\Users\jt452\OneDrive\Documents\AtBS>

You know, you'd think if you're taking the time to make a random generator that mimics an 8-ball you'd just take out the most annoying answer in the thing

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
..I'm just asking how selling here instead of ebay has gone for other people. But..sure.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
There was a rumor they are cutting dvi..have any leaks shown the i/o?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Is it possible that vendors would add dvi or is it just cooler variations? Any precedent for this?

Should I just accept that I need an adapter now? I had a lot of issues going from dp to hdmi on a 1080

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My hard limit is 700...

In some other timeline, Intel and ati both have competing products and there's an actual price war. Cryptocurrency doesn't exist. It's a happier place.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I mean, it wouldn't be that shocking..

Titan xp is 1200 and the 1080ti fe is 700..so if you go with the last round of pricing those would slot into where those 2 models used to be.

I could see the 1080ti going to 500, and then the 1080 or the 1070ti staying at 450 and the rest of the lineup swapping when those come out (2070 for 400, 2060 for 300)

I guess we'll see very soon.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
That's hilarious that newegg was like, welp 12 on the dot, annnddd go.

Meanwhile nvidia is stalling on their event for some reason. Great job.

If I can just buy an evga card today it would mean that they finally launch something properly...I'm pessimistic.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 20, 2018

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
For all the money this company has they do some puzzling poo poo production wise. They have host segments where they only have 1 person with a handheld mic. They show videos on stage, and basically use a camera angle of it rather then cut into the actual thing VTR style...

It's min effort poo poo

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I could just watch a keynote about subsurface scattering and light physics honestly. GO ONNNNNNN

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Petaflops sounding an awful like like Pedophiles on this compressed stream. Maybe stop saying it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Reflectionception, only on leatherforce.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
great use of 68,000 dollars.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
How much longer is he going to talk about shooting rays?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Holy poo poo, FE 2080ti @ 1500
FE 2080 1000

ouch.

shipping in a month though is kinda wild.

no wonder skycaptain and the world of tomorrow over here is stalling on the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm guessing he does one of those coughtalk things into his hands at the very end with the price and then sprints off stage.

Then the teargas canisters start pouring in.