Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

TheRevolution1 posted:

I have the worst luck with graphics cards ever. Basically every single one I've gotten has been unstable at basically all clocks. I got my MSI 560ti a year and a few months ago and it had artifacts when it got stressed too much, mainly in bf3. Tweaking the voltage didn't help much so I returned it to newegg for another MSI 560ti, this one had basically the same problem. I lived with it for a year, since it only occurred in some games and I didn't want to be out of a graphics card. Now a few months ago I bought an MSI 7950 and it's the same poo poo all over again except this one mainly has problems with planetside2 and dota2. It either blackscreens with a "the amd driver has crashed" message or it just throws artifacts all over the place. I usually don't let my own personal experiences affect my PC part buying decisions cause everyone gets unlucky sometimes but this is just too much. Really not looking forward to dealing with the RMA.

Have you been using the same motherboard this entire time? If between 2 560 TI's and a 7950, even if all from MSI, have continually demonstrated problems, I'd be more likely to believe something is wrong with the mobo and not the video cards.

I'd also not rule out a weak PSU as a source of instability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Any word on a Radeon R9 280 coming out sometime soon? I figure it's got to be in the pipeline as it would fill the 250 dollar price point that AMD isn't hitting with the current R9 cards.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

The amount of wattage a GPU needs is generally highly exaggerated by the specifications of the card, this is to account for the people out there who buy junker PSU's that are rated at 1000 watts but can't do more than half that without exploding.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

cat doter posted:

Anyone know what might be causing Metro: Last Light to be using 10% of my GPU? It checked GPU-Z because it was running at like 10fps and my GPU was running at 500mhz and using only 10% of the GPU. That was with full details on everything and 1080p.

I don't get it, could this indicate a problem with the way my PC is set up? Googling didn't show users with similar problems.

Is it just Metro: Last Light that does this? An issue like that might be overheating and the GPU throttling to protect itself.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Convinced myself that getting a Radeon R9 280X over a 270X was worthwhile, now I wait for China Claus to deliver a new shipment of GPU's here stateside so I can actually buy one at MSRP. It's good to see the custom cooled R9 290 series cards being so good, it might force a price drop for the 780 Ti with the custom cooled 290X being so good, a 5-10% performance boost just from being properly cooled before even adding in overclocking is really ridiculous.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

CactusWeasle posted:

If I'm replacing a 7950 with a 780, what do I need to remove/uninstall to avoid problems with driver conflicts?

Going to order an EVGA 780 Superclocked ACX. The Classified is £40~ more expensive but doesn't seem to be worth the extra.

I believe the general graphics driver cleaning setup from AMD is to use their uninstaller first and then use Driver Sweeper after that to get whatever is left over. That's what I've done when I've needed to clean out AMD drivers.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

BusinessWallet posted:

Trying to get a clear consensus on this here and can't find a clear winner. Comparing the GTX 780 to the R9 290, I'm gaming at 1440p. Both can be had for approximately the same price.

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1036 - The R9 290 tends to be a little faster in more games than a GTX 780 and seems to deal with bumps in resolution better. Some games just run better on ATi or nVidia hardware so you won't get a clear winner in this price bracket.

I don't know how the custom cooled nVidia GTX 780's stand up but a custom cooled R9 290 benches out pretty drat close to a R9 290X after factory overclocks and is probably a pretty good value when looking at the high end of things.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Schpyder posted:

If you can't get a custom-cooled 290, then definitely get the 780. Reference-cooled 290s have terrible, terrible thermal performance. At the same price, AMD's price/perf advantage falls away, and NV's far superior reference cooler makes the biggest difference, IMO.

I'd agree, the reference R9 290 is likely maxing the thermal capabilities of its cooler at stock so with heat being an issue a GTX 780 would be better especially if you can get a decent OC without any fancy coolers.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

So that thing is going to be like 1500 dollars isn't it?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Speaking of XFX, in my search for a Radeon R9 280X that's actually in stock at Amazon, I've noticed its the only one that seems to have been in stock lately so I was thinking about buying one, however, I've read reviews that seem to indicate that their cards have serious issues with VRM cooling to the point they can overheat at stock. Is this something that I should be seriously worried about from the XFX model? I have a large case (ancient Antec P160 that I'm replacing next build) so it won't just be dumping hot air back in itself.

If its an issue I'll just continue to be patient until I get my hands on something like an Asus or MSI card.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Well Litecoin miners have broke me, couldn't wait for an R9 280X any longer. Ended up getting a Zotac GTX 770 that was on sale for 299.99 off Amazon today, this will be the first nVidia card I've owned since a Geforce 2 MX PCI card. From what I've read here about Zotac being a decent brand and nVidia's Greenlight program, I should feel confident in this choice.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I thought the MSRP of the R9 290X is like $700, if that $2300 bundle has three of them you're only paying $200 for everything else. Mining or not, that's not as gouged as I'd have thought.

MSRP at launch for the 290X was 550 dollars. I've heard rumors that AMD has actually increased the MSRP by 100 dollars recently, in part because of miners buying everything and in part that their parts were underpriced in comparison to nVidia's performance equivalent parts in the high end.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Got my GTX 770 in last night, compared to my old Radeon HD 6950 it's on average a little over 100% increase in performance. :getin:

Was waiting on a R9 280X but it just wasn't worth hawking over Amazon for the 10 second windows once every few days they were in stock to get one at MSRP.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

2gigs is fine for 1080p.

I was doing some research and I'm not sure you need more than 2GB of VRAM at all, for cards that come with that as the reference amount, in single GPU situations.

http://www.legitreviews.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-760-4gb-video-card-review-2gb-4gb_129062
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

Two reviews where they actually test the same GPU with 2GB of VRAM vs 4GB, neither one shows a scenario where increasing your VRAM at higher resolutions offers any worthwhile improvements in FPS. The biggest difference in FPS was in Far Cry 3 on a GTX 760, but the difference was between 11 FPS to 3 FPS on a GTX 760 at 4k resolution, but you're already in a situation where the game is unplayable.

There wasn't more than like 2 FPS difference between a 2GB GTX 770 and 4GB GTX 770 in all the games they ran up to 5670x1080. It seems to be that in nearly any scenario where you actively need more than 2GB of VRAM, you'll also need a beefier GPU or multiple GPU's first. None of the absolute top of the line cards have to worry about it since 780+ series cards and R9 280+ series cards and higher come with more than 2GB of VRAM by reference and any card lower than that seems to need to be in a SLI/Crossfire configuration to use more than 2GB of VRAM.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not an expert but from what I read, AC4 has a built in frame cap at 63fps and no native triple buffering option, so with VSync on it'll automatically drop to 30 if your framerate dips even a little. Is there a benefit to setting your framecap to 60 in this scenario?

Setting it to 60 should prevent tearing from going above 60 FPS, I don't get why it's a 63 FPS cap since that's just asking for most monitors to go on a tearing spree. Speaking of AC4, the options to fix it on nVidia at least seem to be either Adaptive Vsync that can be enabled in the nVidia control panel or using D3DOverrider to force Triple Buffering and Vsync, is there an option that's better than the other or is it effectively the same?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

At least the preliminary Mantle benchmarks aren't making me regret going with a GTX 770 paired with an overclocked Core i5-3570k. Mantle was the primary reason I was looking at a R9 280X/7970 ghz when I was looking to upgrade but miners put the kibosh on that plan. Hopefully anand and techreport will start having more 'sane' builds benchmarked in the near future, R9 290X's in uber mode running at 1080p is quite the edge case. A Core i5 with a 7870/7970 seems to be the sweet spot many gamers hit for performance and probably a Core i3/7850 or 7770 for the more budget limited gamers, for Radeon cards the Steam Hardware Survey has the 7850 being the most popular AMD card, followed by the 7770.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Dr. McReallysweet posted:

Really? Something must be wrong with the dx11 because my 3570@3.8 and 7870 gets 30fps average. Mantle only bumps it to 40

According to the Beta driver notes, GCN 1.0 cards like yours aren't currently getting the same kind of performance boosts from Mantle that GCN 1.1 cards are. Thinking about it, after seeing a R7 260X benchmark showing nice gains with Mantle and wondering why a card that wouldn't be GPU limiting BF4 could get those boosts, I remembered that card is GCN 1.1, as are the R9 290 series cards. Now the interesting thing to see if GCN 1.0 cards get the same kind of boosts that GCN 1.1 gets in Mantle if it indeed is just an optimization issue with current Beta drivers and not that GCN 1.0 is technically behind 1.1 enough that there aren't worthwhile gains with Mantle.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

INKRO posted:

I don't think the architecture revision matters that much in that case though, seeing as how the 7870 is pretty much the pre-rebranded version of the R9 270/270x.

Pretty sure only the 280Xs have anything close to new silicon, since that one allegedly has a slightly revised Tahiti core.

280's are just rebadged 7970's, same silicon. The only new silicon I know of is on the 7790/R7 260X and the R9 290 series cards, those are the cards that support GCN 1.1 and TrueAudio.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I remember hearing that not all AMD cards require a crossfire cable anymore. Is there a quick resource to check if one needs it? I'm looking to try Crossfiring a pair of MSI
R9 270XOC

I believe it's only the R9 290 series cards that don't need the cable. If your card has the slots to connect the cables, you still need to use them.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Wait you can do dual hybrid graphics with APU's and cards like the 7750's?

Well poo poo any idea if this will come to the R7's?

I wouldn't worry about hybrid graphics - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-graphics-crossfire-benchmark,3583.html

There is basically no performance increase between using an APU + 7750 in hybrid versus the 7750 by itself. All hybrid crossfire will introduce is driver issues when dealing with Crossfire.

E: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-A8-7600-Kaveri-APU-and-R7-250-Dual-Graphics-Testing-Pacing-Fixed - Kaveri apparently has actual scaling with Hybrid Crossfire compared to older APU's. Framerates are often higher with Hybrid but they also have nastier lagspikes compared to a standalone card or just the APU.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 11, 2014

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I received one as a gift recently, and I know it gets poo poo on a lot around here but I really do like it so far. It might have to do with the fact that I'd never badmouth a gift or something, but every emulator I've tried runs any game at 60 fps and looks incredible. The screen's quality is amazing as well. No motion-blur even in games with very flat graphics. It's 720p IPS.

It's very goofy looking, yes, but all handhelds kind of are. The thing I like about it is if I want to play a PC game, I don't have to sit in front of huge monitor in the office. I can play a PC game while sitting in the living room when someone else is watching bad TV.

For some reason though, only the 650 GTX and above work with streaming. I have a 560 and I'm stubbornly refusing to upgrade because then I'm spending money on this thing. I've tried some work-arounds (installing Splashtop's 360 controller drivers for one) and so far, the streaming to the Shield looks really good with no lag, but I've yet to figure out how to emulate key presses, so I can't yet comment on streaming on a non-650 or above device just yet. Still trying to figure that out, though.

Is there actually something "in" the GTX 650 and above that somehow improves streaming to the Shield? Or is it all BS so the 5 series and below are "useless"? Is there a way to get the NVidia software to think it's "Shield Ready" even though it's below the 650?

nVidia has a built in hardware decoder in the GTX 600 series cards and above that is missing in cards before that, which nVidia uses as the basis for streaming to the Shield. The GTX 560 lacks said hardware encoder so nVidia's streaming solution basically just doesn't work. Splashtop is a totally different type of streaming solution.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Agreed posted:

I have the biggest crush on Maxwell right now, I can't wait to know more. Holy loving poo poo that power savings. I dunno why I'm really posting this right now, it's not exactly a novel thought or contribution, I'm just :aaaaa: at the direction nVidia went vs. the direction AMD went for their next gen. The transistor density and performance per watt of Hawaiian Islands suggests that it was likely intended to be produced on the next die shrink, but so was Maxwell, and with just a new architecture they've managed a loving massive leap in efficiency. Really, really impressive. Haswell level impressive.

To put the power efficiency into perspective, the previous fastest card that didn't need a 6-pin power connector was the Radeon HD 7750. The GeForce 750 Ti is a solid 75% faster than the HD 7750. It looks like the type of card that can be done with either totally passive cooling and/or used in low profile systems. While it's not the best gaming card ever it should be an extremely good card for things like Steamboxes. The 750 Ti also overclocks like a beast, was reading a site earlier that got a 26% overclock on the core, on a card that doesn't even need a 6-pin connector, that puts it pretty much equal in overall performance with the price equivalent R7 265.

I'm actually very interested in something like the plain GTX 750 as a PhysX co-processor, it absolutely sips power and should be powerful enough to handle maximum PhysX settings in any game and will likely reach sales in the sub-100 dollar range pretty often.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

ShaneB posted:

I guess I honestly should just think about running another 270X in Crossfire if I really want to do 1440p gaming without replacing it with a much more expensive card. I should save up for the monitor first. :)

You might also catch a HD 7870 on sale for like 150 bucks that crossfires with the 270X just fine.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Speaking of cases, my current case is an Antec P180. Yes, it's 10 years old. Somehow I've managed to accomplish something resembling good cable management just because of my ability to stuff most of my unused PSU cables into the 5.25 bays and stuffing the rest of the cables on top of the PSU itself since this thing came from the era of top mounted PSU's. It is both too big and too small at the same time, when I went shopping for video cards I found out that I couldn't fit certain custom cooled R9 280X's in my case since it only really handle about 11.5 inch long cards, which some of the larger custom cooled Radeons blow past.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Don't post late at night. I don't have an Antec P180. I have an Antec P160.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I've got a media center PC connected to my HDTV out in my living room right now. We are shopping for a new TV and have been looking at some 4k (or 'Ultra HD') options. Since HDMI 2.0 has been finalized we now have HDMI that can support beyond 1080p resolution beyond 30hz on 4k TVs, including the one we are looking at.
My problem lies with the fact that it seems GPUs do not have HDMI 2.0 support which means I can't run my (plenty capable) media center PC at the native resolution of a 4k TV and instead will be 'stuck' at 1080p, even if I was willing to upgrade the GPU for this. Do I have this right and if I do, is there a way around this? Can I really not run a media center PC at the native resolution of a 4k ultra-def tv?

You should be able to use DisplayPort to get what you're looking for, as long as the TV you get supports that as an output.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Peechka posted:

So I broke down today and bought one of the new AMD 680s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150706 before it sells out. It should be between an nvidia 760 and 770.

It's not quite in between, in overall performance it's actually little lower than a GTX 760, with the obvious handful of AMD optimized games going the favor of the R9 280. For that price I'm not a fan of the card, you can get a nice factory overclocked GTX 760 for less and you're really close to a R9 280X/GTX 770 which would be a substantial improvement in performance for only a few bucks more, now that the R9 280X is showing up at MSRP on some retailers.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Jan posted:

Is there a GPU benchmarking tool with a test that measures bandwidth? It seems that the usual 3dMark/Unigine synthetic benchmarks tend to measure shader and texture processing power with preloaded data, whereas I want to specifically measure the impact of PCIe speed at my monitor's native 1600p.

Almost certain that your monitor resolution doesn't matter when it comes to memory bandwidth use, as long as you aren't using something like vsync and limiting your FPS. You should be pushing the same amount of data at 1080p running at some insane amount of FPS compared to 1600p at whatever FPS you get there. For what its worth, AMD has specifically mentioned that they have tested R9 290X's down to PCI-E 2.0 8x and says that even that speed does not bottleneck their GPU's. I also watched a Linustechtips video where they were testing memory bandwidth and found cards like the Radeon HD 6990 were not bandwidth limited on even PCI-E 2.0 4x.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Peppi posted:

Baaah. I couldn't wait for the new stuff any longer as my trusty old 560ti was starting to sound funny.

Ordered a MSI 780 gaming. POSSIBLY overkill for 1080p, but it was 15% off!

Consider the GTX 780 an investment in protecting yourself from terribly optimized games. I get annoyed playing Assassin's Creed 4 on a GTX 770 since the game will dip to sub-30 FPS at times.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Jan posted:

What settings are you running at, though? Black Flag is fairly feature intensive compared to most console ports, and Ubisoft actually put in a fair effort making the PC version good and keeping it in Montreal rather than outsource it as they have with previous ports.

Well I tried max settings except for AA and left that at FXAA. Dropped the detail texture quality to high since I read the highest setting murders PC. It runs fine in general but it's really the only game I have that I can't play at max settings and have it run butter smooth at 1080p. At least AC4 has the looks to match the performance requirements, the game is beautiful looking.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Ignoarints posted:

Does anybody know what software is used to find frametimes in game?

http://techreport.com/review/24553/inside-the-second-with-nvidia-frame-capture-tools - This should have what you're looking for. It doesn't look like its just a software setup but a hardware/software pairing that it used to determine frametimes.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/fcat/downloads - the actual FCAT software

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 1, 2014

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

This might surprise some of you, but there are reports coming out that 20nm won't happen this year. I'm totally shocked and not at all happy with my purchase of 290s :)

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-20nm-delayed-late-2014-early-2015/

Just another reason not to regret the GTX 770 I bought in January. The delay may force a price drop from nVidia's side, looking at the selection of cards nV really isn't competing in price/performance in too many price brackets, but nV basically hasn't had to worry about that for a quarter of a year thanks to dudes investing their life savings into Dogecoin.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Call the phone number?

Called the second number, guy answered lcdscreenforlaptops or whatever. Im almost tempted to order this $380 asus 780 on my amex.

Be our glorious guinea pig.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

ShaneB posted:

What would you suggest someone be told about SLI/Crossfire in a PC building thread?

I'd suggest that SLI/Crossfire is something you should only be looking at when the absolute best single card on the market is not enough performance for you. The driver issues with multiple GPU's tend not to make it worthwhile to SLI mid-range cards compared to buy a top of the line GPU.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Torabi posted:

Is it just me or does Nvidia keep adding cool poo poo like shadowplay and increased performance with their drivers while AMD doesn't do anything? I've never gotten anything cool with AMD drivers. All I got was my second monitor flickering when I scroll down a website on the main monitor.

nVidia's pretty dramatic software superiority is something I've come to appreciate since moving over to the green team with my newest GPU. I had something like 7 AMD GPU's in a row before the minercaust finally got me go nVidia and I really don't miss AMD's drivers at all. The last nVidia drivers showcase how much more resources nVidia has available to throw at problems, they basically pulled Mantle style improvements out of DX 11 in a couple months of work.

Mantle seems pretty much dead to me at this point. A vendor specific API that costs a significant amount of time and money to implement was never going to catch on that much in the first place. Now you have nVidia proving that half of AMD's problem is that they can't code DX 11 drivers for poo poo and Microsoft is working on DX12 which will further negate the need for Mantle.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

The PNY 750ti's I just got don't have the 6-pin power connector like some of the EVGA models do. Can the PCI bus power two of them at the same time on a Z87-A board, or is the 75 watts shared between both PCI slots?

I'm almost certain that the PCI-E lanes get their own individual power, otherwise it would be an issue for SLI/Crossfire setups since they do use some power from the PCI-E lane as well.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

I'd be honestly shocked if that is true only for the memory bus, high res gaming really likes a wide memory bus and high bandwidth and the GTX 880 listed there isn't that. It's basically a beast of a core with GTX 770 memory bandwidth.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

calusari posted:

Even if the GTX 880 ends up being a 28nm card couldn't it still be 20% faster than the 780 just from the architectural changes? Over a year between kepler and maxwell just seems way too long.

nVidia won't care if the GTX 700 series is out for over a year as long as AMD doesn't release anything new, which they won't. Some price drops to make the GTX 760 closer to 200 dollars and possibly releasing a real 760 Ti for the 250 dollar market makes more sense than trying to make performance Maxwell parts on 28nm. The GTX 780 is another prime candidate for a price drop, it's poor value compared to a R9 290 if you can get one at MSRP.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Ignoarints posted:

Jesus Christ guys, we've been getting ripped off. GTX 770's only cost $84.95 direct from China.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1041810

:v:

alarming how much positive feedback

The heatsinks on those things are hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Doyzer posted:

Interesting specs on those. Quad 770's for $350 sounds like a bargain until they catch on fire.

It's far more likely that those things they are masquerading as GTX 770's use such little power that they couldn't cause a fire even if they tried. They are 100% flashed cheap GPU's that will say they are a GTX 770 in the BIOS but perform like a 50 dollar GPU.

The funny thing is that the actual GPU specs don't seem to lie, the thing has DDR3 RAM on it, some really low clocks and even comes with crap like a VGA port standard.