Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

ugh , like, I had no plans to buy a FE 1080 but now I want to because this exists.

Spite keeps star citizen going so why not this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....I... what?

e:fb

edit edit: Wow, Josh, Raja looks weirdly washed-out in your screencap.

2 970-alike cards (maybe) beat out a 1080

weird how that works

ALSO, lol "oh boy 51% gpu utilization!"

As a person who still runs an HD6970, when I see poor gpu utilization it reminds me why I'm going back to nvidia on every game because it's their poo poo drivers causing it

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Seamonster posted:

Why is there even discussion about this? Let's just see what Sapphire and others come out with.

Because it's the only cooler we've seen so far for it?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Captain Yossarian posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the kinect hasn't been included for quite a while, in most retail Xbones

Even then, the APU is very custom with 32mb of eSRAM included on the die, as well as using DDR3 as the System and Graphics RAM, which won't (probably) see any more price drops so there's not really much room for manufacturing processes to drop the price so they're still losing money on consoles sold.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Alchenar posted:

Custom 1080 board shipments got pushed back again to the 17th, looks like someone really messed up.

e: it's one thing to have really limited supply, but to have nothing week after week implies *issues*.

Like was previously speculated in this thread, it's assumed the new VRAM on the cards is likely the bottleneck in this case.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Alchenar posted:

Does anyone have a link to a quick primer on video card RAM is for and how it's used? Specifically I'm struggling to contextualise 'how far does GB/s make a difference? When is this a bottleneck compared to processing power?'

It's where textures and framebuffers are stored for sure and those can take up quite a bit of space (hence sizes being important), and that can be bottlenecked shuffling textures in/out of VRAM to main RAM.

I don't know if the rendering pipelines use the VRAM as a cache, somebody more knowledgeable can help.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

drat I really need a card now, my second 7870 is artifacting lol. Ill even take a 1070 ffs

"My midrange card is dying so I'll take a midrange card ffs"

Okay.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Don Lapre posted:

Wow, feel bad for all the 1070 owners

poo poo like this is why I'm glad I won't be building a new PC for several more months, holy poo poo :eyepop:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Icept posted:

Happiest 1080 lol

:allears:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

SweetBro posted:

Is there anything resembling an ETA to when this supply shortage will be over?

My uncle works at the fabs that Nvidia uses and,

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Deuce posted:

...aren't pre-rendered cutscenes inherently framelocked because... they're pre-rendered?

Ding ding ding, tell him what he wins, Johnny!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/

If/when their site recovers (502 errors everywhere), 480 CF reviews

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

repiv posted:

One little detail I don't think we knew before: the 4GB cards use the old 7gbps GDDR5, but the 8GB ones use the new 8gbps GDDR5 also seen on the 1070.

I was wondering why the 8GB versions were outperforming the 4GB at 1080p :cripes:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

This is horrible. So their slide with 2 480s beating a 1080 is utter bullshit then.

It was 2 480s beating a 1080 in Ashes of the Singularity which uses DX12's Asynchronous Rendering, which is unlike any other pipeline currently used by video game developers.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

franchise1 posted:

I have a 480 here and a new cpu and motherboard arriving tomorrow. Am I safe to set it up or is it going to explode?

As long as it's not a dirt cheap motherboard you might be fine?

Maybe? Who knows!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

wicka posted:

then stop posting

Take your own advice

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

repiv posted:

This slide is new:

That's a significantly faster rollout than I expected, after it took 2 years for Maxwell's VR features to get used by anything.

Man I can't wait to die on Everest, just like in real life

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

PBCrunch posted:

Thanks for the heads up on that. I really only wanted a 4GB RX 470, but AIB RX 470 availability seems to be completely unknown at this point. For $322 (no tax in my state), I'll rock a 980 Ti for a few weeks and sell it on craigslist and break even/profit.

Why are you selling it for a worse card?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

PBCrunch posted:

Just a personal aversion to spending over $200 on a graphics card.

:psyduck:

O-okay

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

At stock clocks. And the 480 hardly gains anything from DX12 async compute updates. Oh boy.

this is great

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

repiv posted:

Important to note that the 3GB 1060 will supposedly be a cut-down GP106 though.

6GB version - 1280 cores
3GB version - 1152 cores

That's... not even one bank disabled?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Twerk from Home posted:

Open your history books to the distant age of 2007, and gaze upon the two different versions of the 8800GTS and their radically different characteristics. One G80, one G92, one with a 256-bit bus, one with 320-bit.

And also the upgraded 8800GT which had the G92 core instead of the G80 (I miss that card)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

xthetenth posted:

There was no G80 8800GT it was all because they wanted to kick off the 9k generation with the GTX. The 9800GT had one tiny difference iirc with video hardware.

Guess I was mixing it up with the GTS since it had two versions. Man that poo poo was dumb.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Fragrag posted:

Yep and it looks like they put way too much paste. It shouldn't be going over the edges of the chip should it?

Correct, it's too much, uneven as gently caress, etc

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

exquisite tea posted:

I know it doesn't look pretty but I'm happy to have an ATX case. It's good for my dumb clumsy fingers and I never have to worry about cable management or cooling around these school bus-sized cards.

I agree with this. I like the form factor of mATX cases but after owning two of them then going to a full tower I don't want to go back. I'm too much of a clumsy gently caress for it

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

PerrineClostermann posted:

You mean cheating, according to blizzard :colbert:

Wait, what?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Ak Gara posted:

Not zoomed in at all.

So what browser are you using?

E: Default zoom in chrome

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Ak Gara posted:

Firefox 44.0.2

Have you tried upgrading it to a supported version?

E: Just tried in Firefox 47 (seriously, why are you using a 5 month old version)

Haquer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 20, 2016

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

MrLogan posted:

How many months until the 1070 starts selling at MSRP ($380)?

MSRP basically means "cheap rear end blower card"

So if you want one of those, probably soon

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Gonkish posted:

Or if you're Blizzard and have an inexplicable hatred of an aspect ratio for some loving reason.

I-i-it's unfaaaaiiirrrrrrrr

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

feedmegin posted:

I wonder what the chances are of them putting Android on it.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I believe they stated that they will not be using Android, they will be using a home-grown OS.

This was in the recent press release, yes.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

EdEddnEddy posted:

That makes sense, I still want to get in on that Mario Kart though because drat if MK7 on the 3DS isn't fantastic fun.

But loosing 3D on the NX after having it dialed in so well on the 3DS seems like a step back. While the O3DS did have some issues, playing in 3D on the N3DS is downright fantastic. MarioKart has depth!

I guess we will wait and see, but until it's out it is all speculation at the moment I guess.

After seeing how MK8 looked in HD on the U though, you would think they could just attempt to make a console with the level of power similar to the others and even with the massive optimizations that the devs have to face, it would allow them to make some incredible Mario and other 3rd party games that don't have to be tied to one Exclusive or another that they have been missing out on for ages. (Even Project CARS was for whatever reason really eagerly awaited on the WiiU until it was canceled because of lack of performance). So they have a market for higher end hardware to go with the same "family friendly" market they have sort of held with all the Nintendo hardware.

I have thousands of hours across my old and new 3DS consoles and I can say I have spent maybe 2 hours total with the 3d on. Drains too much battery and games like Monster Hunter 3U even let you turn it off to get increased performance. It's a dumb gimmick and I'll be glad when it's gone.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Wish I could convince somebody to buy my HD 6970 for its MSRP, could do a nice upgrade:v:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Palladium posted:

http://techreport.com/review/30473/amd-radeon-rx-470-graphics-card-reviewed/5

Maybe it's just me but the 470 is so close in everything from perf/TDP/$ to the 4GB 480 that is completely baffling that why it even need to exist.

The 4GB 480 only exists for marketing, you can actually buy the 470

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

KingEup posted:

The beauty of gaming at 1360x768 on a 26inch IPS panel is that nothing ever drops below 60fps with eye candy set to maximum.

I've now got my eye on a second hand 37inch 960x540 display ;P

Instead of upgrading my graphics card every year I just downgrade my monitor.

What in the world

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

xthetenth posted:

Pretty sure it's a joke.

Poe's Law etc etc

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

afkmacro posted:

a price tier above the new titan? good god.

Time to sell my house to quad SLI them :getin:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Smarf posted:

I tried removing them in safe mode with DDU, then installing the drivers that were linked above. Still no change. The one thing I've found that seems to work is running Clockblocker, but I'm not certain it's safe for the card to not enter a low-power mode.

It'll just run at a middle clock level and use a bit more power.

My HD6970 won't clock down with 2 monitors attached so I just deal with it because 2 monitors is too nice

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mikojan posted:

a bit off topic but:

will 7nm be the last fab in the line of increasingly smaller chips?

this is about the border where quantum mechanics start messing with ur poo poo right?

after that can we still expect GPU's to get a lot better in comparable timeframes?

For silicon, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4y0a6j/rx_470_overclockundervolt_discussion/d6kcoqh?context=3

quote:

As a heads up to everyone with the 4gb version [of the RX470]. Going above 1750mhz on the memory will result in memory timing change. The result of the timing change (less aggressive) is actually a decrease in performance. Your best bet is capping your memory oc's at 1750mhz to retain the best timing.

:psyduck: