Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Great thread movax!

Anyways ever since you convinced me to get a Dell U3011 I'v had to run dual GPU configurations for gaming. I'm replacing my crossfire 6970's for a GTX 690. Will post a few pics when it arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
So what's the verdict on those DX12 benchmarks... Is AMD really that much faster with DX12? Or are these purely synthetics and will never translate to in game FPS improvements?

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
I purchased a pair of used Saphire R9 290 Tri OC for $500 a year and a half ago for my 2560x1600 monitor. At the time, I was kind of sad I couldn't find a pair of 780' / 780ti s for the price. I can tell you i'm pretty happy I got the 290s considering their performance improvements over time and what seems to be neglect from Nvidia on the 6/7 series. If the DX12 performance continues to be impressive, I think I could keep the cards for another year or two... Power consumption and heat output are sub optimal but it's a non issue in the land of 6c / kWh.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Haven't been keeping up with GPUs lately - any reason to flash the R9 290 to a R9 390. From what I recall, it was some driver BS giving the 390 a performance boost - was it anything else in the firmware?

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
I'm ending my dual card journey now that 1600p can be achieved fairly easily with one card. Purchased a Dell U3011 in early 2011 and moved from 2 x HD 6970s to 2 x GTX 670s and i'm now at 2 x R9 290s to maintain 60+ fps in any modern game. I'll probably be upgrading to a gtx 1080, 1080ti or whatever AMD releases. The noise, heat, and driver issues gets a bit annoying after a while. Plus, most if not all of the indy games usually don't support SLI/Crossfire.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Thinking of getting a fury x over a gtx 1070 for my 2560x1600 60hz monitor. The fury x is slightly cheaper, available and seems to have improved substantially in benchmarks since its initial release. Plus dx12/Vulcan with async is benefiting AMD cards nicely. Only thing I'm worried about is the 4GB vram. It would be replacing 2 r9 290s which are just too hot/noisy in CF and I don't want to deal with CF anymore. What do you guys think?

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

craig588 posted:

You can build them yourself for much cheaper, I spent about 400 building mine and if you want to go really cheap you can get a broken air conditioner to build from for even less, all it needs is the compressor to still work.

Out of curiosity, is this on a regular use system (aka not a just a benchmark rig)? Also, is condensation an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
If the 6xxx line has SR-IOV enabled, I'll probably grab a 6900 and match it with a 16+ core cpu to replace all my two ageing gaming rigs and unraid server into one box. I'm not holding my breath on that ever comming to consumer GPUs anytime soon to be honest, but hey I can still dream.