Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
So where does this leave 780 now? They'd have to drop it down to close to $400 to make any kind of argument for it, and even at that price it's not super enticing compared to the 290's post-facelift gauntlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Honestly I'm more interested in seeing what the gains are on lower/mid-range 7XXX series cards.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Man forget about the R7 260, the R7 265 is finally here to replace the 7850! http://www.anandtech.com/show/7754/the-amd-radeon-r7-265-r7-260-review-feat-sapphire-asus

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I would wait, if only because the 192-bit bus on the 660Ti would probably bottleneck it in SLI.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Just use the 2012 version: http://anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372

The 750 has very similar performance to the 650Ti, so just compare and contrast with that instead.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Speaking of which, isn't the R7 265 supposed to have hit retailers by now? Or is that not for another week or so?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Get a GTX 750 if you want a PhysX card, it has nearly the same performance/price as the 650Ti, and with a meager 60W TDP (less than 1/4 of your 480!). As a PhysX card it'll be slightly weaker than your 480, but considering how few games even use PhysX I wouldn't sweat that too much, though you could always move up to the 750Ti if you want to (it has the same 60 TDP as well).

Further reading: http://alienbabeltech.com/main/using-maxwells-gtx-750-ti-dedicated-physx-card/

Hace fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 5, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The Lord Bude posted:

I've done some more reading as well. This will be the first GPU I've tried to overclock, and I'm not likely to push all that hard so I'm going to save my money. That being said, for a similar price to the ACX SC is the MSI twin frozr 780ti, and that's starting to look compelling as well - it definitely runs hotter than the ACX, but it seems to be the quietest cooler by a massive margin - one site that reviewed both has load noise for the MSI at 30db, the EVGA ACX at 35db, and reference cooler at 39db. Assuming I take my measurements and I can fit it into a prodigy, the MSI might end up being my pick.

Don't forget to check the temperatures, some cards have more aggressive default fan profiles, and are louder as a result.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This is weirdly late in the game to start doing that, I wonder what finally convinced nvidia to greenlight that?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Product branding strikes again! Only GTX GPUs are supported, unfortunately.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also contrary to what was earlier believed, it looks like that there is a DDR3 version of the 850M: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Clevo-W650SJ-Schenker-M504-Barebones-Notebook.114329.0.html

It still goes toe-to-toe with the 765M though, impressively enough.

Hace fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 7, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Most people aren't going to find two 660tis for anything other than ~$500, and even if you factor out the extra costs for a compatible motherboard, a beefier PSU (that doesn't suck), and an SLI bridge, you'd still be better off just getting a GTX 780 and overclocking it(single GPUs overclock better than multi-GPU setups!). You'd get almost identical performance, only with significantly more compatibility, more VRAM, as well as a machine that runs cooler and quieter.

Hace fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 8, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Speaking of crossfire and hefty amounts of VRAM, looks like the 295X2 making rounds on review sites.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Don Lapre posted:

I thought the 750/ti didn't support sli.

It does not.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Also wouldn't it probably be using less steam processors, not more?

Hace fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 9, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Dunno how true this is, but it sounds like there's big trouble in little TSMC: http://www.techpowerup.com/200061/nvidia-gm204-and-gm206-to-tape-out-in-april-products-to-launch-in-q4.html

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Tomb Raider won't really run buttery smooth without a seriously fuckoff setup, even on AMD cards the framerate in that game is all over the place: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/04/14/gigabyte_r9_290x_oc_asus_gtx_780_ti_dcuii_review/6#.U1g9GfldX7g

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BurritoJustice posted:

Reference 770s have titan coolers. Which are great.

Finding reference 770s with the metal cooler is a bit of a bitch, as most of them still linger around the old $400 MSRP. However if you're desperate, some manufacturers seem to put the worse 760-style coolers at a lower price: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n7702gd5oc

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Pedestrian Xing posted:

If I'm looking to upgrade from a 570 to something in the $250 area, is it worth waiting for the 800 series to come out, or will I even get a big enough performance boost to really be worth it?

You can find a 270X for around $200, or a 760 for around $240, but either upgrade will be kinda incremental and not a huge boost for ~$240 in my opinion: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/831?vs=854

I'd strongly suggest waiting for the next lineup from AMD or Nvidia, but if you really want something right away, look towards the 280X or 770.

Ignoarints posted:

I was going to suggest $50 more for a 280x, but looks like that little sweet spot is gone for the time being

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202046 ?

Hace fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 30, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Remember that TressFX will look like poo poo on a nvidia GPU no matter what, so if that's a deciding factor for whatever reason, you might be happier with an AMD offering!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Which SFF Dell tower are you referring to? Their current line appears to be the Inspirion 3647, which still has 2 expansion slots.

Hace fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 8, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Yeah, for whatever reason it has very demanding CPU requirements. Sometimes that stuff is overblown prior to release, but it doesn't hurt to wait and see.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

DrDork posted:

Then just get the highest-numbered Radeon or GeForce card (depending on your preference) you can find for a price you're happy with. Radeons are generally better in the price:performance metrics at virtually every price point, but not enormously so.

For what it's worth, entry level Geforce cards are literally garbage. Nvidia doesn't even try to be competitive in that range.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^ There are tricks to get around that iirc.

Eonwe posted:

Does anyone have any impressions they can share about Nvidia shadowplay? I'm just curious if there are any drawbacks as well as how easy it would be to stream to Twitch with it.

It's (mostly) great for local recordings, but it's only decent for streaming.

Shadowplay is very dependent on high bitrates to look good, which is problematic since you're never going to go above 3.5Mbps when using Twitch. For streaming at 30FPS, this isn't too much of a problem, but still doesn't look nearly as sharp as something like OBS. But for streaming at 60FPS, it can go from looking kinda not great, down to looking downright ugly, depending on the game. Also, since Shadowplay depends on high bitrates for it's local recordings, you'll need to re-encode them at a lower bitrate so that Youtube doesn't murder your file.

Steaming with it also has it's own share of limitations, such as (but not limited to) not having a press-to-talk option, only being able to stream in fullscreen (though you can stream your desktop now, so it's not DX limited), and few options to adjust the quality of your stream besides picking your resolution and a bitrate slider.

Shadowplay is still more than ideal if you're CPU limited at all, and the quality degradation is arguably subjective depending on your expectations. I would say that it shines the most when it comes to streaming/recording emulators (PCSX2/Dolphin) and CPU-heavy games that are currently out at 60FPS. Anything that doesn't heavily tax your CPU, however, is probably better paired up with dxtory/OBS.

With all that said, I should also mention that Shadowplay is extremely simple to set up, and if you just stream something on a whim it takes literally no effort at all to do. For most users, this is all it needs to be, and that's fine IMO.

Hace fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 18, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Slider posted:

Does the GTX 770 not overlock that well? Mine is of the MSI flavor. I'm not able to get much more than an extra 50mhz out of the core, before the display drivers start crashing running the heaven benchmark thing. Also upping the core voltage/power limit in MSI afterburner doesn't make any difference surprisingly.

I've had the exact same experience with that card, haha. Luck of the draw I suppose.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ignoarints posted:

780ti pretty sweet. Exactly what I thought it'd be like. About 20% less fps than 770 SLI (in BF4 so far at least) but more playable when it dips into the 50's and 60's. Cool beans. Runs pretty cool too at 70 degrees

What do you mean by that? Is there more microstutter with SLI or something in that range?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Don Lapre posted:

id get 3-4gb at this point if watch dogs is any indication of future games.

I'd hope not, considering it was just revealed that the game literally loads in every texture twice, which is why the VRAM requirements in that game are sky high.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Obviously the answer here is to buy a Physx card.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Looks like AMD's answer to Shadowplay is starting to mature a little bit: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8224/hands-on-with-amds-gaming-evolved-client-game-dvr

It's still bit buggy (especially with the framerate), and it's still attached to Raptr, but it still has a ridiculously low performance hit and great quality (although it shares Shadowplay's 4:2:0 color problem).

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Humboldt Squid posted:

So, I think my trusty 560ti is on its last legs - after about 10 minutes of anything more graphically intensive than terreria it crashes and the screen becomes multicolored blocks. Updating drivers didn't help, and turning off overclocking at lest lets me use my PC for normal, non-gaming stuff but I get the feeling it's a ticking time-bomb so it's upgrade time! I'm thinking about getting a 750ti to replace it - it's a little slower than radeon's equivalent at that price, but I like the lower power consumption and reduced noise in comparison.
The difference in cost between the 1gb and 2gb models seems to be about $15-20, is there enough of a performance boost to make that worth it? I understand that Asus and EVGA are generally considered good bets, but are there any manufacturers that I should avoid?

There are no 1GB 750Ti SKUs, make sure you're not just looking at a 750 non-ti

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
They just announced the R9 285's MSRP is $249

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The 285 uses Tonga, so don't worry about the clock rate. The smaller memory bus/capacity is pretty lame though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Knifegrab posted:

So when is the next big iteration of nvidia cards supposed to hit? I want to do a whole new system build for myself but I am gating myself based on GPU and CPU releases.

Buy a new CPU whenever, things aren't about to change drastically anytime soon.

Nvidia cards are "expected" to hit in November-ish, but nobody actually knows when they'll arrive.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
My first card was some AGP card wayyyy past when those would still be acceptable to use (like 2006), then I moved onto a Athlon X2 4850e (the cpu/motherboard were free) + 9800GTX(it won like 3 newegg awards!!!) and used that up until late last year. Moving from that to a 4670k + GTX770 has been one hell of a swing.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I was promised video cards, but all I have are windows phones :(

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
What are you using to test it? Have tried Unigine Heaven?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

For what it's worth, I don't think this is able to tell who has an r7/r9 card for whatever reason.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

spasticColon posted:

Will the 780 (NOT the 780Ti) get a price cut after the 980 and 970 are released? If so, maybe I'll just pick up one of those instead.

Very unlikely. The best you can hope for is a clearance sale months down the road.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, the skyrocketing popularity of consoles definitely stagnated the GPU arms race, which can be a double edged sword I'll admit. On one hand, if consoles hadn't stagnated the tech, we'd probably be a lot farther along by now. However, the absence of a desperate need to upgrade graphics cards more than once every 5 years or so nowadays is really nice.

This is true only to a certain extent IMO. Besides the fact that consoles represent most of the mainstream market which keep the demand for graphically demanding/high budget titles in the first place, DX9 would probably still have been lagging behind just as long as it has been now, so that users with lower-end GPUs could actually play new releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

1gnoirents posted:

I'm flip flopping between 970 SLI and picking up a used 780ti so badly right now. Obviously 780ti sli would be ridiculous, but the power... it's probably going to come down to if I can safely SLI 780ti with 750 watt capstone psu or not. That's gotta be on the edge. edit: I guess I could undervolt, lord knows I wouldn't need to overclock at all. That seems so wrong though

In any case this release gave me the itch, bad

You might as just get a 980 now and add another later, because there is 0% chance you won't end up there eventually.