Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I want a P100

Yea.... This.

At least it looks like Nvidia hasn't just been sitting on their hands or doing ARM stuff for the last 2 years as we have been stuck with the 900 series for what feels like ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Christ when I first saw the slide I thought the 150B was a typo and they meant 15B :stare:

But... they ReTweeted it? https://twitter.com/nvidia/status/717403138790006784

It is certainly a MicDrop against Intel and their attempt to push into this market with lots of little x86 Cores... Not even close unless they have something major up their sleeve.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

So does any of this pertain to a gamer?

Potentially the same architecture will have a Consumer version, but we are all waiting for that to be verbalized here...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The wait is going to kill me as I have today to decide to keep or return this 980Ti.... And I only want the Next Ti for VR reasons.... :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

xthetenth posted:

My guess is you'll have decent odds of seeing the new x80 Ti by Christmas.

Of next year.

I'd consider using an interim card and flipping to get you to it cheaply.

Thats what I figure. The 980Ti is no slouch and there isn't anything better for VR unless I want the smidge jump to a Titan X. Plus it OC's to 1500mhz like a champ, so I guess I'll just flip it when the time comes.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Wow, Pascal is 12x faster at some things than Maxwell, that's sort of nuts. :stare:

EDIT: This dude's hair. :lol:

Going by the fact that it is 4X Maxwell GPU's vs 8X Pascael, would't it be closer to say 6X faster to go 4v4 then?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I flipped 2 780's (not Ti's, those came out like a month after I bought my freaking first 780 lol) for the 1 980Ti. And the Ti is faster most of the time.

Now Nvidia was shipping a few Pascale cores to China in some leaked news last month, so really you guys think Pascel chips are really not out this year? I'd think at least the Mobile market might start getting theirs soon/first...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's only Day 1? Is there no chance of more announcements for anything else?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

feedmegin posted:

ROM/flash? Other random support ASICs?

Cache?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

At this point I'm gonna spend my money on an X34 or XB270HU instead, and maybe trade in my 780 Ti's for a single 980 Ti before depreciation takes over.

Might want to look into the possibility of flashing a MAC compatible Bios onto them as well. The guy that bought my 780s on Ebay runs an MacGPU site and looks like he just flashes MAC compatible Bios's onto them and sells them at a huge markup.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Selling PC things to Mac users at huge markups is after all a tried and true Apple approved method, too :v:

I was just bummed I didn't think of it first. He got 2 of my cards for below the price of 1 he sells. Hah

I guess that's the cost of possibly getting an Mac Pro that can actually do VR since Apple won't make you one.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If you are going VR, you and I wan't the next Pascale Ti/Titan (if money is no object). The 970 may have been good, but no VR good and the next gen 1070/1080's sound like GDDR5X is going to be used which is fast, but not HBM2 fast like the Titan/Ti appear to be getting along with GP104vsGP100

Currently the 980Ti is a freaking beast, but it can't even keep up with maxed detail for games like Elite or Project CARS in VR. The Rift's ATW works magic to keep things from kicking you in the gut even at 50FPS, but you don't want to stay there forever. Here's hoping that Pascale's Ti can be the one to deliver the performance we need to stay at that sweet 90FPS+ mark in the games the 980Ti can't today.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

repiv posted:

The flawed chips are reserved for Teslas too - GP100 has 60 SMs but the Tesla P100 only has 56 of them enabled.

e;fb

I just saw that today too... It sucks, but at the same time is exciting if they do it Kepler like with the Ti super beast, vs the Maxwell Titan X king.. We shall see.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I got a 980TI for VR Elite and other really punishing games that can even stress the card in normal 2D (with Res Scaling).

However for normal VR i'd still go for a sale 980 over a 970 to give yourself a little breathing room for the wait for pascael and possible resale value if you plan to jump in early.
To say Maxwell has aged poorly seems a bit odd since its been one of the longest running generations I can think of save the long wait for ATI to go from the 800 series to the 2900/3000 series. It feels like we have been with it for ages.

The Rift currently does amazing magic with ATW though so if you put Elite down to low/medium VR settings a 970 might be able to handle space perfect and landing on planets, reasonably well possibly. But I would not rely on ATW for everything as it is a great safety net, but not an end all solution and over time your brain still will be wondering why something seems off and slowly start kicking you in the stomach if you don't get back over 90fps in a reasonable time frame. You can build up a bit of an immunity to the low FPS VR oddities (its back to being easier like it was with the DK1 vs the DK2's jitter that just overall was impossible to live with) but it still takes time and isn't as much fun as full 90FPS goodness.

The Vive some are saying doesn't have ATW yet so if you don't have the power to hold 90FPS, it is much less forgiving, but as I do have a 980Ti, I have yet to run into that issue. :smug:

I do hope that Pascale arrives and the Ti holds at least 2/3 it's value to flip it for a new Ti and I can live with that for an extended time, but I am not biting until I see it. No matter how tempting anything below a Titan may look.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Probably the best current bet.

I planned on just "Renting" my 980Ti from Frys, but then they ran out of 980Ti's to swap to and I sort of got addicted to the performance this thing brought and its OC headroom is just nuts (1517mhz core boost clock).

Also got it OpenBox for like $150 less then new and it looks/works like new so eh, it wasn't a total waste.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It seems dependent on DX12 support and having full PCI-E 3.0 X16 for both cards as the latency of passing the frames from one card to the other to be sent to the HMD have to be minimal and PCI-E 3.0 X8 doesn't cut it.

So adoption may be slow until Intel gives us enough lanes or PCI-E 3.1/4 arrives I guess. I was hoping for VR Support early with my 780's in SLI which were about on par with the 980Ti, but sadly support more or less died when Extended mode was dropped. When it worked though it did work well enough and I didn't notice any noticeable added latency.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Or you can just get a new PSU so you're not taxing the thing to max if you do run SLI 980Ti's on it. It's not like they all pull 250W all the time, but at 100% SLI load, everything is going to be taxing that PSU pretty hard, and the OC/Boost clocks might even push it a bit over. My 980Ti hits 110% Power quite often.

Though the reason I got a 1000W Cooler Master PSU in the past was due to the more power hungry cards like Crossfire 4870X2's and such from the good old days lol.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

They're actually going to fix that, I hear.

In the latest VR drivers, it appears they have. My 980Ti finally idles at 405mhz instead of the 900 or so it was before with my Multi Monitor setup.

Its nice to finally have that working since It never did with the SLI 780's.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Alereon posted:

Yes, DDR4 would be better than DDR3 for graphics, but since it requires new memory controllers don't expect to see it in discrete videocards.

They did it on One card back in the day.

Ended up being too expensive but it was interesting to see for a time.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Laslow posted:

It was even earlier than that. GDDR4 was used in the 3870. This was back when DDR3 DIMMs were only used on one Intel chipset; X48, since they were so new.

drat I remember that and forgot they did that with a 3870 as well. Glad I got the X48 with DDR2 back when though as DDR3 at the time was stupid expensive and not much faster at the time.

I miss my old X48 setup some. Once that thing was dialed in, and you got the SLI hack working (that tricked the drivers into seeing it as a i680 board I believe) it worked fantastic with SLI 560Ti's.

I messed with SLI for the first time with the 8800GTX's (first 2 then 3) and while the return with 3 was less then the first 2, it was neat seeing the Crysis benchmarks improve with each card addition. (and how a 4870X2 was faster and smoother then the 3 8800GTX's, and later the 560Ti/HD5870 being as fast as all 3). Crazy times back then. Getting a i780 board with 3 8800GTX cards to run a stable OC was a completely different dance and while it could be as fast or faster than an X48, the cooling requirement was stupid.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Frys wasn't able to get enough 980Ti's in to meet demand. I bought the last Asus Strix they had (Open box no less, but saved me $50) and they had 1 EVGA one left before it too was gone. They had a collection of 980's that were priced well to sell and a bunch of 970's and below, but the sales guys there said the walls were stocked full, then down to nothing in like a week or so. They can't keep the cards in stock and from the looks of it, they weren't kidding.

The question is, will there be a huge gap in time before the next high end arrives because having a hole in the timing feels really odd considering nothing has come out to replace the current gen's high end and may still not for quite some time...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

afkmacro posted:

Looks like retailers are liquidating stock

$319.99: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ▪ Only $135 Each When You Buy 2 on newegg

lol. that was the deal for 2 WD Reds on that 2nd bit. You aren't getting 2 970's for $135 each.... Unless that is a typo you can catch them on and they honor it.. Hmm..

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I'd expect a 1080 Ti for two reasons. First is that even in a vacuum NV benefits from releasing the 980 Ti. The big chip first gets sold to any businesses because they pay the most. Then comes the Titan, to get the price sensitive compute customers and the price inelastic gamers who just have to have the best period. Then after a good while to let the whales feel good about their Titan since they have the fastest and they've had it for a nice while, the Ti comes out, and the Ti sells a ton of cards to the enthusiasts who will pay for the highest performance that comes at a reasonable price/performance point. That segmentation makes sense regardless of competition unless there's pricing pressure to make them cheaper earlier.

Second is that it's pretty much drop dead certain that AMD will be competitive this generation, although NV may get six months with GP104 not having a real competitor while AMD gets Vega ready. With DX12 becoming more of a thing, that's a swathe of games where NV has some serious architectural catch-up to do, since full Hawaii is disturbingly close to the 980 Ti and Titan X considering the nearly 40% die size advantage of the latter. Even recent DX11 games such as The Division are showing nice gains for GCN, and all that sums to there being a good reason for Pascal looking more like GCN, and NV having to eat the cost of adding things AMD already has paid the price of. So AMD is a lot likely to just be able to stuff their chips full of a linear increase in functional elements compared to the lower number of CCs in P100 than you'd expect from a straight process shrink (of course if GP102 happens as a pure gaming big die all bets are off, and if the AMD patents on heterogeneous function units are for something that's going to show up this generation, who even knows any more).

The question I have, is the Ti this next generation going to follow the Kepler style, or Maxwell. Will it be Full cores unlocked, or have a few shutoff is the question... The 780Ti was a downright beast that killed the Titan (Hell even the base 780 slightly OC'ed could best the Titan then), but the 980Ti is a step below the Titan X this round. What will Nvidia do this time I wonder...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I have $600ish, but my inner miser says I hate getting ripped off too, but the 760 is just old now. If the 390X will perform better, I'd rather have that, especially if it's cheaper. Vr is no concern to me.

What are you trying to push? I have a 760 in my HTPC gaming box and it still runs most everything at 1080P great, and some stuff even at 1440P. I am impressed by that little card performance. (Plus I got it free so :v: )

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

+1 to the OC of 970-980Ti's.

Most 980Ti's Turbo to around the 1200Mhz mark, my ASUS Strix sort of puzzles me since EVGA Precision says it is turboing up to 1412Mhz on its own, and I can even push it to 1517mhz for specific games/benchmarks which is pretty much as far as any 980Ti can hit on air it sounds.

But even with that boost which does work great for VR and other DX11 games, the fact that the much older based AMD cards can keep up and surpass the 980Ti/TitanX's in DX12 sure is interesting. I think Nvidia fixed the performance DROP that DX12 brought, but how much of a gain, if any, we get, that is anyones guess currently.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I haven't updated my Nvidia drivers since December because I'm lazy. And I hear that the latest few drivers have been really buggy. Anyone know the latest safe one to update to? I'm on a 980ti.

The absolute latest ones are safe, but apparently there is a bug when the Monitor/PC sleeps and windows move around. I don't let my PC sleep because 1:5 chance it won't wake up due to the OC lol, but I've had no major issues with it otherwise. It was their semi polished VR driver and it has been good so far.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Absolute latest meaning full release or beta release?

364.72 on their site currently. They don't even show any beta ones out currently. Might be something leaked on Guru3d though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

In other news, Nvidia dropped a Beta Hotfix Driver for the DOOM Beta this weekend

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Its interesting the success the 970 has had even though it is a fake 4GB card (Buddy continues to gripe about that 3.5G limit and the second you go over it with RES/AA the card just gives up still) and yet the card continued to thrive as a big seller. The 980 just sort of got in the middle of the road between tie 970 and 980Ti and really hasn't had much press about anything, even though for some of the sale deals it actually isn't a bad buy to avoid both the 3.5G bug and the $200 price jump to a Ti.

What baffles me, is how Nvidia did some actual R&D and made the stock cooler on the 690/700/900 series freaking amazing for a stock cooler, but AMD just can't seem to be bothered to put the same R&D into their cooler to avoid any issues with their hotter chips. They finally did something for their stock CPU coolers, but their GPU's could benefit from a cool vapor chamber blower setup that also makes going SLI without water a much easier thing. I loved the stock 780 coolers in both how they looked, how quiet they are, and how well they worked. Keeping things at 70C while OC'ed to 1200Mhz on those 780's was a thing of beauty and those cards really did perform well.

Relying on Aftermarket coolers is great and all, but for SLI, if you don't go water, trying to get effective cooling with two cards sandwiched in there with the downward facing fans that vent into the case is a royal pain in the rear end. Hah reminds me of the Zotac AMP 480's I put in a friends comp. Now those were hot running chips and even with the dual fan setup, I had to remove the metal shroud to get them to fit together. That top card was always >10C hotter than the bottom one with the clear area below it.

For comparison, my SLI'ed 780's were only about a 5C difference since they blew most of the heat out the back, and also had more space between them.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I used to think physx was a total waste of time and looked like garbage, but for the first time ever I've seen it implemented in a pleasing seamless way (Killing Floor 2). Bodes well for things to come, but because it is dependent on brand its never necessary or a critical part of the game. I wouldn't be upset without it. I'd probably say none of those things would trump better dollar/performance for me. I do use Shadowplay quite a bit and the alternatives aren't nearly as integrated and easy to use, that'd be kind of tough to lose if I jumped back to AMD.

One thing that seems to be changing, is Nvidia is moving Physx off of the GPU to be more CPU based finally so that all future games can use it independent of GPU. How this will work with old games will depend how well they can get it to offload, but at least it does look that Nvidia is sort of playing ball here. I think they are trying to stop getting called out for their Gameworks stuff causing horrible performance for AMD users, when it was just AMD having crappy launch title drivers. (and crappy game launches overall. I love watching AAA game launches from afar and wait until they are like $20 and all patched up. maybe)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thank you for forgetting my fan curve and nearly making me burn my brand new card, GPUTweak. For gently caress's sake. :argh:

EVGA precision for the fan profiles man. Never had a problem with it for that specifically.

Then Nvidia Inspector for the Overclocking. Nothing fancy and gets the job done and you can save the OC profile as a desktop shortcut and even set it to apply the clocks at bootup once you find the ones you want.

All other tools I have used/tried may work but always end up glitching in some way that you don't want at the most worst time.

FaustianQ posted:

Okay, I'm getting a severe headache using MSI afterburner for some reason. I'm on 16.3 Crimson and when I try to adjust my clock speed in afterburner (down to 960) it flatout ignores it except on the desktop. In a game I'll get 1050mhz, and now it'll run 960mhz constantly on the desktop. It's also ignoring voltage and power controls so instead of .975V it'll instead sit at 1.25V, even on desktop.

Urrgghhh

EDIT: Oh cool, now even opening MSI afterburner hard freezes/crashes the computer.

See above. EVGA Precision. MSI Afterburner I used years ago and just stopped once their updates started making their app worse, even though both EVGA precision and MSI Afterburner were based on some of the same tech, Precision got a good rewrite around version 16.

Also I was an AMD guy after the Geforce 4Ti area when I went to the 9800Pro and man that was a great card, replaced with a 7800GS because that was the fastest card you could get on AGP at the time (until the X800XL and I think a few X850XT's but man they were pricey). Then got a 4870X2 and ran that till it burned up on a new comp build in 08. RMA'ed (Lifetime VisionTek Warranty FTW!) for like 3 of those until we both just decided to go for a 5870 which was almost the same performance on a single chip and still running that in that comp to this day.

I ended up going to SLI 560Ti's due to winning an ASUS 3D Vision 2 screen at Nvidia Geforce Lan 2011 so I had to try the 3D Vision stuff (which was pretty cool when games supported it. Mainly World of Tanks and that's about it). Then upgraded from there with one then two 780's and now a 980Ti because it was the fastest for VR.

Drivers for Nvidia have usually always been better for me for sure. Both AMD and Nvidia have had there share of crappy ones (hell Nvidia had those deadly ones quite recently) and the AMD ones around the 4870X2 was hilarious when one of the 2 cores would just ERROR 67 (or was it 47?) and you almost had to do a reformat to get the drat thing to work again. Crossfire never was quite as supported or fast as SLI it seemed, but it really is Driver and Game support dependent and was never good out of the gate. 6Months later, if it was supported it may have gotten better, if it wasn't, it would never get better it seems, but now that VR is a big performance push, it will be interesting to see how the get SLI back into the mix as as much performance and low frametime as you can get, should bring incentive to allow you to buy expensive hardware and make it work together in a beneficial way. Both for VR and 4K really.

I remember playing KOTOR all the way through for the first time on a Sony laptop with a ATI 9700M in it. From what I could tell it looked perfect and ran, well for being on a laptop. Sad how later drivers from AMD did always seem to break older games while Nvidia usually would keep working as far as I have tested. I remember the Geforce2 vs Radeon 1st gen days, playing Giants Citizen Kubuto, and the game looked perfect on a Geforce, but on an ATI, the textures/reflexion would all be borked. Until the 8500/9000 series AMD just couldn't release a driver with their hardware to save their life.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Truly, a hall-of-fame part.

I remember that when DOOM 3 Alpha was being shown off, Nvidia was trying to get them to demo it on water cooled 4600Ti's and they instead went with Reference 9700's that ran the game literally twice as fast or something around that time. It was nuts how much faster the card was vs Nvidia's at the time, and actually for quite a while afterwards if I remember correctly. The 9700 was sort of the start, the 9800Pro was what, about 90% the performance of the 9800XT and about $150 cheaper? (though I also messed with an XT in a friends PC and that thing downright flew for sure). The PRO lasted me from 2003-2006 which is pretty darn good.

Did Nvidia have anything good between the 4000-6000 series? I only remember the 5000 series being a steaming pile of hot and slower cards and you could get most all of (at least Dawn) working on the ATI cards at the time and they also ran better on the ATI hardware lol.

Then the Nvidia 6600's came out as cheap super fast SLI and Nvidia was back in the game. ATI had a sort of hickup around the 2900/3800part, but hit a homer with the 4000 series especially with that 4870X2 which was a complete fixing of all that was wrong with te 3870X2.

Ahh the history of GPU tech is always fun to look down on, since really everyone here remembers the good old VooDoo days and the lack of 3D hardware before them even. I still have a VooDoo Banshee in my P3 933 machine with Win98 for those old DOS games / early Windows games that just don't run good emulated or on anything but real hardware.

What I really wish for though, is a change of naming. Radeon and Geforce needs to be replaced by something new. We have Fury (again) but Nvidia needs something new. TNT was fun back in the day so lets mix it up again after 15+ years.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

I'm sort of hoping GTX 1080 isn't a thing as if its not that great there'll be "MORE LIKE GTX 1080....P!!" all over the web.

In a way, this would be the opportune time for Nvidia to dump the sale O naming structure, for something a bit more apt...

GTX 1080, GTX 1440, GTX 2160, GTX VR :vrfrog:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Looks like the AMD Mobile re-branding is a bit of a mixed bag. 3(4) generation old tech kinda sucks, but at least it looks like they are numbering things accordingly and increasing clock speeds the usual knob notch of 10-20%. Ugh

I understand the financial reason for it but man it would be nice to see a whole new launch lineup that is out with the old, in with the new completely. At least if you got a high end GPU powered laptop in the last 3 years, you still have a high end GPU powered laptop that hasn't been super outpaced unless you jump to the desktop powered beast, but thats a super niche until we see how Pascale runs.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

IKR? And what the hell does the R# stand for anymore? I can see the R9 being at the top or whatever, but there are R5, R6, R7, and R8 in the same drat chip realm (same Cores/Rops/etc.) WTF? Just core speed/memory type differences?

Is A R8 430 better than an R5 450 or whatever? :psyduck:

As a dumb consumer Its confusing as hell and I wish they would have just stayed with the old naming scheme they used around the 3000-5000 series, before they messed with it, AGAIN, with the 6000 series and bringing in a 6970 (over the old top card being a 5870, and removing X2 with just a 6990 Ugh)

Marketing seems to be hard and purposefully confusing for no freaking reason.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well I know there is a reason, it is just seems more evil and getting worse.

You would think with competition in the mobile game being the one area that AMD needs to make up some ground, they would try to really get some new tech out there rather then do another re-brand of such old tech, sure it is serviceable, but if you don't have near the market share your competitor does, you would think you would have more incentive to push your rebrand down the line to the lowest end you can to make it look more substantial (say moving it down more than 1 notch so the comparable #'ered card would be a 40% improvement over the last) and then get your new tech in front of people on the mid to high end. Sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't notice the difference, but if you wow people a bit more at a certain price point over your competitors offering, that should bring a little interest back into your brand and increase visibility. Especially when all the reviews shout about how much bang for the buck you would be getting with X vs Y. People love their bargain laptops.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm pretty sure they aren't selling bonaire to OEMs at the prices it once commanded, though

btw nvidia is still selling fermi in laptops as well so it's not like amd is the only entity doing that either

In a single Chip. The rest is Maxwell

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The ASUS Strix 980Ti I got was a bit unique in that it has 3 fans on it while every other one seems to be using 2, that and the stock Turbo OC is up to 1417Mhz vs what everyone else says should be ~1200Mhz. No idea if mine is a fluke but for a 980Ti, it's on the fast end of all the aftermarket ones it appears.

I'd say they will have one out pretty quick as well as a Matrix one shortly after for the OC crowd too.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Just saw that Newegg has a deal on MSI 980Ti's for $529 after rebate.

Rather good price for what is still a fast card, but man talk about a fire sale, kinda wish I returned my STRIX but at the same time, I still feel the wait for the next Ti might be quite a while...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Gotta give Acer some credit I guess, their next gaming laptops look to run 980's (not "m") so its nice to see them take a chance on Gaming/VR more than in the past. More competition in that arena is always better.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/21/acer-predator-gaming-pcs/?sr_source=Twitter

SlayVus posted:

With how retailers are selling these cards, it really makes you wonder what's coming. 980 Ti for the price of a 980, what kind of world are we living in.

Last I remember, the 780Ti came and went at a premium since it was only a short bit before the 900 series arrived to cancel it out. The 980Ti seems to have had a much longer lifespan before the new stuff arrived and it is interesting seeing it being phased out with nothing new announced/available yet.

Yay if a 1070 is as fast as a 980Ti is now, but that leaves no incentive for me to upgrade for VR until I see what the next TI can do. I want to be able to run Project CARS at max with a single GPU and all the rumors seem to point to that possibility, but I doubt it will be anything but the top high end of course only one generation later.....

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 21, 2016