Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tab8715 posted:

What's with the delay of the next gen ATI/Nvidia cards? Shouldn't they be out by now or should we have some kind of update?

The 680 didn't come out till March 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

zer0spunk posted:

I want to replace my 680, but not with a $900 card that is basically a 690 if the "titan" stuff is true. I thought we moved past the ludicrous "ultra" line Nvidia?

They arnt going to replace the architecture every year.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

What is the reason for buying it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

dog nougat posted:

I keep seeing people talk about coil whine on their graphics cards. What's the difference between that and the fan just being loud because it's moving a lot of air?

Edit: I found this wikipedia article about it. I'd it really that loud/so prevalent that it's a big deal? I don't think I've ever noticed any sort of coil noise, just the fan being loud as gently caress on my 570 HD.

One is a noise coming from the video card, one is a noise coming from the fan.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Maarak posted:

Is there some trick to getting Windows 7 to recognize a GPU that's PCIe 3.0? I have a nVidia 660 attached to an Asus P8Z77-V LX (Z77 ATX), and while I'm getting video the nVidia control panel doesn't seem to see the card at all.

Can you be more specific? were you able to install the nvidia drivers and its showing as a geforce 660 or whatever in device manager?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Amazon has EVGA 670 FTW 2gb cards for $315 open box.

Shows 11 left right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0083Y6MV6/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1361753609&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+ftw&condition=used

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

KillHour posted:

Jumped on this like a fat kid on the last Twinkie.

Since they have a bunch i wonder if they had a bunch of busted boxes. Mine will be here tomorrow, cant wait.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EVGA is still doing borderlands 2.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Got my $315 GTX670 FTW from amazon warehouse. Box is beat to hell. Card has been opened and has some wear on the plastic almost from a sticker it looks like, but its working perfectly. Running furmark now without any problems or visual artifacts. All accessories were in the box and sealed, even the poster and stickers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

drat, it says it may come repackaged but it sucks your fan wasn't working.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Or maybe we should just wait until its refined a bit and more than one game that literally just came out uses it until we make judgements?

Its not like amd is making a big deal about that one game or anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bleusilences posted:

Should I go for a 660 or a 660 TI. It is for Arma 3 and Borderlans 2 because they run physX.

Quick edit: the difference between the 2 is 100 $.

How cheap are you getting the 660? You can get a 3gb 660ti for $279 after rebate

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...T_k9P9Y9X1zqanw

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tressfx works great on my 670 till the game and video card vomit all over themselves.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Using nvidia inspector and adding tomb raider exe to the hitman absolution profile seems to fix the problems.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

deimos posted:

:cry: RMAing the open box GTX 670 would make it more expensive than a brand new 670 (and go into the 680 price range). Time to return it to Amazon :10bux: I'll never see again.

Amazon pays return shipping and should refund your original shipping.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Amd naming is so god drat confusing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sounds like bad video ram.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hayden. posted:

A couple days ago my GTX260 started idling at around 83C. I tried a million different drivers and finally just reinstalled Win7. It seemed okay for about a day and then went back to crazy idling temps. If I had to guess it's just a recent Windows update that's loving it up, but it's weird that no one else seems to have this problem. Is my card maybe just dying?

Have you tried cleaning it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The 700's will probably just be budget cards and/or OEM only as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

beejay posted:

Well I'm still getting the hangs even after rolling back to 314.07. The event viewer just says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Could this be related to my CPU overclock in some way? I am losing my mind.

See if anything funny is running in task manager. Bitcoin miners can cause this.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Those optimium requirements are probably also taking 3d into account.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 18, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

770 is so god drat huge. Hopefully the 8 series has a new architecture and we can get a 870 in a smaller card.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

incoherent posted:

:stonk: This is impressive.

Thought it was passive until

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

randyest posted:

I hope this doesn't count as an upgrade question, but I just ordered that insane SC GTX780 ACX beast and I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to keep my GTX570 in the box for PhysX only or just sell it? It runs super cool and quiet, but maybe it's overkill and a waste of electricity? Of course I'll try it and compare once the 780 gets here, but any info / experience would be appreciated.

I saw some tests done and showed if you are using an older card your 780 in this case would end up waiting for the old cards physx poo poo and slow things down.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sepist posted:

My 660ti is going to a black screen then returning a second later when it gets over 55 degrees celcius with less than 70% fan speed, is that normal without overclocking? I can circumvent this by having the video card fan go to 70% and set all of the stock fans on my phantom case at full speed. A nvidia driver infected with a bitcoin miner was running on it for 2 days before I found it which I'm afraid damaged the card :T

Sounds like you still have a bitcoin miner running.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I was gonna wait for the 800 series but im just too tempted. Ordered an MSI 760 twin frozr. Looks like the coolest card that will fit in an SG05.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you have a silverstone SG05 I can confirm the Twin Frozr 760 fits.

This must be the largest card you can get in there without modification.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Funny, I was just cranking the PhysX last night for Bureau https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJClNPiyOYQ

It's nice to have something productive for old 460's to do.

I thought benchmarks showed dedicated physX cards actually slowed the machine down vs just using one card.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

If a factory overclock version of a GPU is otherwise indentical as the baseline one from the same manufacturer, does that always mean it has been binned as having more potential? Or can the baseline model sometimes/usually be overclocked just as high?

Depends on the yields of the gpu's. The answer is maybe.

They could all be amazing chips and they simply bin based on what their partners want to buy. Or there could be legit better chips that they pick out based on performance.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

But it runs correctly stock. Are you returning it cause you cant overclock it as high as youd like?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

eggyolk posted:

Can anyone explain what the deal is with the Tegra K1? It seems to be taking up a lot of headlines but hasn't been mentioned here yet.

its just the ARM of the month.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Psion posted:

I haven't paid any attention to card brands in years, is there really any difference aside from pack-ins and bonus games and whatnot? I was under the impression the particular garish brand sticker on the heatsinks was about it for differences. Is that not so?

Most companies offer custom coolers now that are different.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I remember when 3dfx was pimping motion blur. It was a quake 3 feature.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Id just spend the money on a better quadro card and game on it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Duro posted:

Well, I got hosed over by NCIX and they gave me a Sapphire card despite me asking for anything but one. I think they shipped everything too, so I dunno what to do now. I think I'll just accept my fate and go with the flow. It might not be that bad....

Return it? What do you mean they gave you a sapphire card? Did you just click a button that said order video card?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gyrotica posted:

I have a question about the GTX Titan. Are there any neat/fun/useful things one can do with a Titan that makes use of its compute capacity? My rig is primarily built for gaming and I'm not a molecular biologist, but I can't shake the feeling that I should find other uses for it since I have the capability.

I briefly dallied with cryptocurrency mining, but apparently CUDA just doesn't cut it.

If you are only playing games, you should sell the titan and buy a 780ti

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SlayVus posted:

So, if nvidia isn't going to step up the VRAM in their consumer line because "the bottom line" won't that make AMD the goto for multiple display setups? It just seems like Nvidia is shooting themselves in the foot.

Unless you are going over 3x1080p then more than 2gb doesn't matter right now

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/

http://i0.wp.com/alienbabeltech.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/MainChart.jpg

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

spasticColon posted:

Now that the good Maxwell cards have been pushed back I'm really tempted to get an R9 290 after the price gouging ends but would my Corsair 650(HX or TX?) be enough to power it?

Easilly. This system in this review is only pulling 350 with a 290/290x. You could use a 450w power supply if you wanted too. Anand was hitting around 380w with 32gb ram and a Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz

http://www.techspot.com/review/736-amd-radeon-r9-290/page8.html

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

subx posted:

I just picked up two 27" 2560x1440 monitors, and was wondering what mid-high end video cards will support those and a 1080p television? My old video card (a 5850) only supports two monitors, so I'm using the onboard video to support one of them. I'd really prefer to be able to disable onboard video completely, especially as I'm not even sure if iit will support that high of a resolution (and I often play games on the TV, so I don't want it powering that).

Any modern high end card should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

The 5850 should have two DVI, one HDMI, and one DisplayPort, right?

I'm sure the only restriction is you can't run all four, or 3 on DVI (which includes HDMI).

So you should able to run 3 if you went DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort or DVI/DVI/DisplayPort.

Yea i think you have to use displayport on the 5850 for 3 monitors. Active adapter also.