Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

subx posted:

I thought as much, just wanted to be sure. I haven't really been keeping up with the video card world in the past year or so, is the 780 likely to be replaced anytime soon with a newer version? Also the whole mining thing making AMD stuff expensive kind of sucks.

What Don said - my current monitors and TV don't have a displayport. It's not a huge issue currently though, as my left-side monitor is a 10 year old Dell 2005FPW (I think that's the model) 1680x1050. Amazing monitor honestly - it doesn't have a single dead pixel to this day. That's what I run on the onboard video, since I don't ever use it for gaming.

The 800 series will be out at some point this year. that could be march, or july or november. No one really knows yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

veedubfreak posted:

Anyone have a shield? I might be doing something stupid.

If you have clicked order then you have already done something stupid.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Animal posted:

Or just do Steam streaming to a more useful device like a laptop with HDMI out or an HTPC. That is, if most of your games are on Steam.

I think steam home streaming works for any game youve added to steam, even if its not sold on steam.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

Meanwhile, R9 290Xes on Newegg are selling for $899. GTX780tis are a value!

Buy 2 780ti's get a "free" nvidia shield

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I just got a gtx 770 and it has 2 PCI-e power plugs. Do I need two PCI-E power cables going to it from my power supply or just one cable with a y-splitter?

If the splitter is built into the cable then its fine, I dont know if i would use a y splitter i purchased though.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I take it since I can't find anything about a S/PDIF header on my GTX 670 on Google and the manual makes no mention of it either, I should bury my dream of getting DTS over HDMI and just move on?

Your video card has a soundcard built in for hdmi audio. DTS passthrough is up to your software to support it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The built-in sound card outputs 5.1 as uncompressed LPCM, which is the HDMI standard and actually superior to the compressed DTS format I'm after. Unfortunately for me, DTS is the best I can do at the speaker side with my current setup, that's why I'm trying to get DTS specifically through the GPUs HDMI.

I had no problem doing DTS through Nvidia Hdmi on xbmc, on a 670 even. Your software just has to pass it through.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 14, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You're right, the problem has to do with how the DTS audio is "created". In your case, I'm guessing you were watching a video with an already encoded DTS audio track, this audio track got passed through the HDMI into your receiver or whatever. I want to play games with 5.1 audio though, and the way games output 5.1 audio on PC is via LPCM which is something my speakers unfortunately can't handle. A way around that is to encode the 5.1 LPCM from the games as 5.1 DTS on the fly, which a sound card can do but my graphics card cannot, which is why I was wondering if I could encode the 5.1 DTS using my sound card and then send that via spdif header into my graphics card to pass through to my speakers.

Ahh that makes a lot more sense. They took those headers off video cards after they integrated their own video poo poo.

Probably need to get a soundcard that supports DTS connect or DD Live or whatever the gently caress its called and just run a seperate cable for audio to your receiver.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Falcon2001 posted:

So I'm running a GTX 670 and have been for a year and a half now, and recently while playing FFXIV, it's starting to cause driver kernel crashes during high use.

I busted out afterburner and found out it's hitting 80-85 C at those times, and so far I've been able to just have it ramp up the fan all the way, but it's loud as heck. So, would an aftermarket replacement cooler/fan be useful, or should I just replace it (or mystery third option)? Card I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083Y6MV6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you tried cleaning it? Also EVGA has excellent warranty service.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nephilm posted:

I wasn't into tinkering back then, but I remember the :siren:TURBO:siren: button.

Fun fact, the turbo button made your cpu run at the correct speed. Turning it off actually ran your cpu lower than it was supposed to.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

I was just following the guidelines in the OP of the parts-picking thread, and assumed it wouldn't quite cut it. So 450W should be able to drive an i5 Haswell and a GTX760 just fine?

Edit: Not really the right thread for this, I guess.

If there is anything people overbuy on its power supplies.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

A PSU draws only as much power as it needs, modified by its efficiency. PSUs are most efficient at 50-60% loading. So strictly speaking, your PSU is drawing a handful of watts more than would a PSU that was sized more appropriately, but we're talking about as much power as a single hard drive uses - not a lot.

New power supplies while still most efficient at half load can still maintain 90%+ at full load.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=326

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sure hope none of you wanted an 8xx series card for msrp

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hopefully this means the 8xx series will be announced tomorrow.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I just cant justify buyin 3 screens and the poo poo that goes with it when the new rift could be out in 3 or 4 months.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

deimos posted:

You see the problem with your statement don't you?

Well its somewhat different. The rift is a new new thing, not just an upgraded graphics card. It could remove the need for multi monitor gaming entirely.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hope you have 20amp wiring/outlets.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Arn't the real maxwell chips expected to be 20nm?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So buy a 780ti

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EoRaptor posted:

So it looks like DirectX 12 will be a thing.

I'm not sure if Microsoft is really going to be able to get this off the ground. They seem to want to have it for mobile and desktop platforms, which risks making a fat API that is difficult to learn and starved for features.

Also, I'd put odds on them making it Windows 8+ only, even though this would effectively make it stillborn. They probably aren't going to learn from the last times they've tired this.

Since 11.2 is 8.1 only there is no reason to think 12 wont be 8.1 or 9 only.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Dumb question about nVidia drivers. Which drivers should I be going with, beta or the normal ones? I'm used to AMD where the rule was always beta because WHQL was a hilariously old build compared to the advancement made in the betas. Is it the same with nVidia?

Just go with whatever is newest.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Um, excuse me:

I manage just fine, thank you very much. :colbert:

I was actually disappointed that the GTX 680 isn't as comically large:

Also it looks like I'm gonna sell my GTX 680. I've got nothing on my PC gaming radar for a while and the PC rarely gets turned on anymore. Come on, NVIDIA. Give me an excuse to buy something stupid.

Dont know why you think you need such a giant case

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

looks better than mine

Im the 2.5" hard drive mounted to the 3.5" adapter and then just sat in the 5 1/4" drive bay.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

Next time I need more fans I need to remember I can just cut my own drat holes too

TBF old cases like that had the worst built in fan grills. I cut mine out too (though i didn't cut a hole in the case)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Is it really a port? I thought PC was the primary development platform.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I have no problems with uplay or origin or steam. I dont have a huge online friends list though or anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Honestly I think getting a 6 gig 780/780ti would be a waste of the (likely quite a bit) extra money, unless you plan on getting a pair of them for 4k gaming.

A thought just occured to me - we have no release dates for these 6gig cards, so they must be a fair few weeks away. Is it just me or does this make it seem more likely that Nvidia has a longer wait than we thought before they can get the 20nm maxwell parts ready? I suspect we won't see 800 series stuff on the desktop till early next year.

Nvidia is supposed to start talking about maxwell and other poo poo in 10 minutes.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/GTC-Event-257049/Specials/GTC-2014-Livestream-Nvidia-Maxwell-20-nm-1114823/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just tell me when i can buy an 880.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

:psyduck: if someone wants to risk buying from a website called "lcdscreenforlaptops.com"

http://www.lcdscreenforlaptops.com/...p4-2773-kr.html

Not a lot of reviews (more like none) but its been around a year and didn't come across anybody actually getting scammed so...

:lol: Okay, maybe not

http://www.lcdscreenforlaptops.com/...p4-2881-kr.html

Call the phone number?

Called the second number, guy answered lcdscreenforlaptops or whatever. Im almost tempted to order this $380 asus 780 on my amex.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 1, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

They are using shopblt's stock listings

http://www.shopblt.com/item/asus-gtx780-dc2oc-3gd5-geforce-gtx-780-pcie/asus_gtx780dc2oc3gd5.html

http://www.lcdscreenforlaptops.com/lightspeed.php/default/asus-pcie-3-0-3gb-gddr5-dvu-i-dvi-d-hdmi-941mhz-gtx780-dc2oc-3gd5.html

When you go to checkout chrome reports its not fully secure either.

The site uses SSL, but Google Chrome has detected insecure content on the page. Be careful if you're entering sensitive information on this page. Insecure content can provide a loophole for someone to change the look of the page.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 1, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

Danger danger

Well... why use someone else's information at all if you're just scamming.

I still support veedub :P

That is, I support veedub if he still wants to, and only over the phone. So at least the probably is much higher that its just them if youre information gets stolen

If they are scammers and you give them your information over the phone they could just give it to whoever.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If its web based id try it with something like an ipad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just grabbed a 2m old 780 classified for $450. In ready for my oculus rift.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

KakerMix posted:

Re-cased my system, re-did my cooling and now I can't crack 49c on either 780ti no matter how hard I push them. 3 closed loop rads, a whole bunch of Noctua fans and a whole lot less decibels. I also really dig having a fan controller with temperature readouts on the front.

Whats the point of the two fans on the bottom? When the case is closed they are just blowing air at a metal plate.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Torabi posted:

God drat the taxes in Sweden. loving hell that is cheap. Cheapest 780 I can find here costs at least $600.

Ah so it is an open box. Still, everything is overpriced here.

I think thats a someone put it in as a 770 openbox.Thats cheap for an openbox

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Animal posted:

A few months ago I purchased a 780 open box from Amazon.

It was the box for a 780, alright. With a 760 inside.

Ive had that happen a bunch with SSD's. Amazon had no problems taking it back

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

The PNY 750ti's I just got don't have the 6-pin power connector like some of the EVGA models do. Can the PCI bus power two of them at the same time on a Z87-A board, or is the 75 watts shared between both PCI slots?

I thought the 750/ti didn't support sli.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Is 1228 a decent over clock on a 780?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Straker posted:

So what exactly does it look like in Afterburner (or whatever) when a [AMD] card can't work any faster because it's too hot? My cards are both hitting ~92C and neither is getting used more than like 40% in (for example) BF4, but CPU usage is only around 70% too and it's not like my framerates are crazy high, monitor is 96hz and vsync is off anyway. What the gently caress this is annoying. They both look like they're staying clocked around 947MHz like they should be too, which is confusing - if it's a thermal thing shouldn't it be trying to work closer to 100% and downclocking? I know BF4 is a pile of poo poo but I also know it should be performing way better, and my PC's not full of cat hair or anything.

I know that's all in trivially simple terms but I don't really feel like doing a lot of loving around or troubleshooting and all I can see is that BF4 isn't running as well as it should be. I have to do some work to swap out some drives soon anyway, I guess when I do that I could try taking a card out or something.

edit: I'd try just running the fans at 100% for a bit, but Afterburner will only let me control the primary card's fan

Are they running hot even when not gaming? Is there a chance you could have some mining malware?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SocketSeven posted:

So I just updated my Nvidia drivers for my GTX660's to the latest version, and discovered my GPU clock is now running at about half of what it used to. The patch notes mention clock speeds would change due to power management settings, but none of my games seem to make it ramp up to full speed anymore. Should I worry, or is Precision X just not able to measure clocks properly with these new drivers?

Are your games running the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Those are on newegg as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=GTX770&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

From their resellers