Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
^^^

That YouTube stream poo poo the bed and AMD are streaming at this mirror instead: http://www.livestream.com/amdlivestream?t=637320

Nothing is happening yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Guy has been going for fifteen minutes about how the way forward on graphics cards is better sound effects.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I got an MSI 7950 3GB Twin Frozr from Micro Center for $180 and I still have a few weeks to return it, does anyone actually think these Hawaii cards will have better value out of the gate or at least cause older AMD cards to drop substantially? I'm new to high-end PC gaming and don't really know how the market responds to this stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Old GPU generations don't drop in price substantially after new generations are released, that's not how their marketing scheme works. Getting a 7950 for 180 dollars is a really good deal.

Ah, thanks. One thing I found out while researching today is that I was eligible for the 3-game Never Settle package with my 7950, but no one at Microcenter mentioned it to me and they have since run out of the free game vouchers. Is that 270X supposed to be positioned at the same tier as the 7950? If I could return this and get the 270X at NewEgg where they don't run out of vouchers, that changes the value proposition dramatically (especially since they allow hanging onto the voucher indefinitely to wait for new games to be offered).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

El Scotch posted:

I've heard rumours that if you have both an AMD CPU and GPU both go into turbo fusion mode and increase in performance by 136%. :chord:

Only AMD has Blast Audio Volcanic Processing with Astoundsound Liquid A.I.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

cat doter posted:

This R9 280X is confusing. I looked up some benchmarks and it seems to either get beaten by the 760, or is pretty much on par, or has a pretty huge advantage. Is it worth getting one over a 760? I can get a 760 here for $279 or the 280X for $369. Looking at the benchmarks was confusing me so I thought I'd ask you guys about it. What's the dealio?

If those are the prices in dingoland then get the 760. But it sounds like your 280X is probably being gouged by retailers because it of the initial lack of supply. The 7970 GHZ Edition is the same card so compare that too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I've been meaning to ask, I've been bouncing around from card to card at Microcenter to try to settle on the right one for me, and when I tried a 660ti, well, it seemed smoother than even my 7970. With the framerate uncapped on FFXIV:ARR, the 660ti pushed around 60 FPS compared to 80 with the 7970 on the same settings. Yet with both framerates locked to 60, the 660ti seemed more... consistent? Is this the micro-stuttering thing I've been hearing about? I used to QA test the game Dance Central which runs at 60fps and I was in charge of watching the frame performance because I was really sensitive to frame drops and screen tearing, but this feels different... like time is subtly warped.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Wow, that's really shocking. Provided actual samples don't explode from strain, this is extremely good for AMD.

Non-reference cooling is gonna do the 290X a world of favor, as well. Sticking a simple reference blower with that much duty is a terrible idea.

Enlighten me, are blowers like, strictly worse than open-air fans? I would have thought a blower to be better from a scientific standpoint because it seems like it "scoops" the air through the system instead of just brute-force spinning some propellers.

zylche posted:

The thermal limit of my CPU is ~63C, gently caress if I'm letting the R9 290X near it.

Guy, if the GPU could burn out a CPU at its proximity, you'd also get your hands melted to the PC case when you touch it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm noticing the vouchers for Arkham Origins are selling on eBay for $35, I wonder how much the three game bundle could knock off a 770. Small chance someone might pay for the $100-off-a-Shield coupon as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The 770 EVGA is on Amazon for $330 with prime shipping and $10 MIR: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-02G-P4-2773-KR-Graphics/dp/B00CZIQZ40/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

EDIT: And it claims to come with the 3 game bundle, although: "▪ If you return any of the promotion items, we will subtract the value of your Bonus item from your return credit." Which I assume means whether or not you use the promo codes, you give up something like $150 if you return the card to Amazon?

Animal posted:

I am enjoying Shadowplay a lot. It turned out to be one of those things I never thought I would care but now I would not let go of. I still cant wrap my head around the fact that it incurs no performance loss EVER.

I made a 4GB ram disk for it to save files to, and it was working at first, but then the Shadowplay icon turned off and when I hit the toggle button I got a red "no" cross through the icon. What's up with that?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 29, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If Newegg won't help, some credit cards have purchase protection where they match MSRP drops like this. It's more paperwork, so having Newegg help you might be easier.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Aaaand that same link is now showing as $390, what the gently caress?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up that G-Sync Asus monitor for $200 used on Amazon, hopefully I can put up with it being not-an-IPS

Does anyone know whenabouts Nvidia was going to release the DIY G-Sync chip for this thing?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure there's a simple answer for this but why don't GPUs just have slots for you to put more ram into?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, I just bought an Open Box GTX 770 from Microcenter to try out, when I install it the fans spin but no signal to the monitor. I can still plug the HDMI straight into the motherboard to see, and trying to install new Nvidia drivers says that no graphics cards are found. Do you think I actually bought a brick, or am I screwing something up? I have it wired in exactly the same as the 660ti I just yanked out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

Well the game package ends on November 26th and so far we don't know of a replacement. I'm not sure the "features" are really worth an extra $100 - the main things are Shadowplay (which can also be done by 3rd party apps with low overhead) and Physx ( :laffo:). In that vein someone could make the same argument for TrueAudio and Mantle in the near future.

The current games are nice but once again the true value depends upon how the buyer values the bundle - for every person who think the games are great, there is likely someone who doesn't care at all about them.

I don't know, the only reason I was worried about upgrading my CPU was for 1080p Fraps, and Shadowplay makes that a non-issue for me so that's quite a bit of value right there. G-Sync is really appealing to a lot of people too, AMD doesn't have their own version of that yet and it can make any GPU appear smoother than it actually is. Even if you don't care about the bundle, you can still pitch it on eBay or SAmart for $60-ish like I'm doing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to set a global framerate cap with NVidia? Because I want to run Final Fantasy at 120hz, but the in-game menu only has framerate caps for 30 and 60 fps, and if I uncap it my GTX 770 goes right for infinity FPS and revs up like a vacuum cleaner.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Fraps is only reporting up to 120 FPS when I'm explicitly setting COD:Ghosts to 144hz in its settings (and my monitor is set to 144hz in Windows, 1080p and using DualDVI. Does Fraps not go higher than that or is something else locking the FPS?

Edit: Figured it out, I needed to reboot after turning the EVGA Precision X limiter off. However, the frame rate limiter on that only goes to 120, is there an alternative that can go to 144?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 11, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hmm, that almost worked, but it won't run on 64-bit native apps like Ghost.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Assuming I'm the crafty type, is there any reason that I can't jury-rig a closed-loop liquid CPU cooler onto a GPU die? Does the rest of the chipset really get that hot or could I stick some copper fins on the rest and let the case airflow do its job? I'm not overclocking and I just want to reduce noise at max load. The EVGA 770 I've got is surprisingly loud and Newegg has a quality liquid CPU cooler for $50.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I assume this is the best place for this question...

If I overclock an i7, do the integrated graphics become overclocked as well? Or is it possible to choose to overclock only that section of the chip?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

On a related note, what would be the most cost efficient card for someone who's only going to have a 1680x1050 monitor?

A 650ti Boost, 660ti, or 7950, whichever you can spot the best deal for. Try eBay, Amazon, and open box at Microcenter (which are marked down but still have full warranty and game codes). If you get used on eBay or Amazon make sure they mention a transferable warranty like EVGA does.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Thanks, I ended up going with the EVGA SC version of the 770 GTX. It was $350 before tax, but I did a price match with Best Buy where I had a $180 gift card.

Did you make sure to ask for the vidyagame vouchers? The Bestbuy site doesn't mention the Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell but it does say all the 770's get Batman. If you forgot I'd go back with the receipt and try to scoop them up if they have em.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Today, I learned that Gamestop sells GPUs :psyduck:

If you happened to buy a dud you'd be hosed. They won't allow returns to their stores and they don't even post a return policy online, they just say "instructions are included on the packing slip".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Just temporarily I'm going to try to SLA two 770's on my 620w PSU. Nothing is being overclocked, I just want to see if I can get SLA running and experience it before deciding if I want to keep both cards and invest in a 1000w PSU.

- What happens if things get hairy... does the computer just do a hard reset if the GPUs draw too much, or will worse things happen?

- Is it possible to cap what the cards can draw, like with a combination of underclocking/undervolting?

- For crap like browsing the forums / Windows Explorer, are both cards working half as hard, or is one in a kind of standby while the other does the work?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ozz81 posted:

Not just with video cards, but with ANY upgrade, or even a fresh build when I first get things together and power up to test. The inevitable thrill afterward of feeling like Dr. Frankenstein and bellowing "IT'S ALIVE! ALLLLIIIIVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE!!" is fantastic though...that is, until you realize "well, here go another few hours of installing drivers/software...."

I had that yesterday building a PC for a friend, we take a deep breath and say "moment of truth!" and of course the single thing I forget to wire is the power switch into the motherboard.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

B-Mac posted:

Is there any difference between hdmi or dvi in terms of picture quality on a PC monitor? Just got my 7970 and it has a few options to connect to the monitor.

If your monitor is like 1080p at 60hz then HDMI is fine, but if you're going higher than that you'll probably need DVI-D or DisplayPort.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Thinking of finally checking out team Red with these new releases. I have a GTX 680 and since I'm gaming at 1080p I think I'll just be moving to the R9 280X instead of the 290X. Won't be 3D gaming anymore after this, but my experiences with the Oculus Rift had me basically tossing my glasses in the trash anyway. That tech is dead. Having trouble finding benchmarks that even mention the 680 anymore... didn't know it fell out of favor that quickly! Just looking for more solid frames in Battlefield 4, though I am interested to see what comes of Mantle in terms of cross platform ports down the line. I already have a dedicated sound card (ASUS Xonar Essence STX) that I use with a pair of Sennheiser HD 800s. I am still reading up on what the new audio technology on these cards is supposed to be, but it looks like it is just a way to let developers assign the work to that dedicated audio part of the card. I'd still be using the Xonar in the end, afaik.

But an R9 280X is almost identical in performance to the 680. Maybe Mantle will help your FPS in BF4, but so would a minor overclock on the 680. The 680 will have that G-Sync support pretty soon too. I don't think it would be prudent to drop $300 for the 280X and then have to sell the 680 at a loss for what won't amount to a vast improvement.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I knew it was a rebadge of the higher end 7000 series but wasn't aware the performance was that close. Thanks for the heads up! Looks like a 290X would make more sense, then. Half the cost of a titan... what a crazy world we live in.

There's been a bunch of people in this thread who have managed to buy an R9 290 non-X and then flash the BIOS to get a 290X, you should read up on it. Certain revisions of cards can do this so you're playing a lottery for a free $100 in extra performance.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I picked up a 770 a week or so back, and while I love the performance I'm getting out of it I'm worried I made a mistake getting a 2GB edition. I can do EVGA's step up program to a 3GB 780 for around ~150 or a 780TI for ~250. Both could be doable, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I want to hold on to this card for at least 2 years.

The 4GB PNY 770 is still in stock at NewEgg for $370 after $30 rebate. If you only got the card a week ago, what about just returning it and getting the PNY?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If you need more vram sinks, this is the cheapest I've found them online, $3.89 shipped for 8 with tape:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8pcs-14x12x5-5mm-Copper-Chipset-Cooler-Heat-Sink-For-IC-SD-DDR-SDRAM-VGA-Memory-/350876577198

I just got my thermal tape in the the mail, I'm considering maybe just laying copper refrigerator coil from Home Depot across the chips as a heatsink, would that work about as well?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Have you tried with a different monitor? I'd put it on the monitor and not the card.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
For the past year I've filmed myself tossing electronics into the box and handing it to the post office clerk. The ultimate protection against eBay chargebacks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Unless it's one continuous video, how do you prove you didn't video taping up the box, then removing the card then retaping the box?

It's one continuous video! I did think of that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You need the biggest gear in your rig when you're mining for butt coins.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I have to imagine there's people in a position like mine where they're an IT person at a huge company and could get away with mining on dozens of workstations without a soul noticing the difference in the electric bill. I wouldn't dare, but it's tempting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
PNY is what, a pretty awful brand? I'm about to get another $200 in Dell.com promo bucks that expire in 3 months, and the only thing worthwhile to buy from the site would be a GTX 770, but PNY is the *only* GTX brand on the site and seems to have only a 1 year warranty.

The credit is use it or lose it so I should just roll the dice, right?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
That's reassuring, as I nabbed a new Hydro H110 for $40 on Cyber Monday that I'll be sticking on there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Anandtech posted:

Enabling G-Sync does have a small but measurable performance impact on frame rate. After the GPU renders a frame with G-Sync enabled, it will start polling the display to see if it’s in a VBLANK period or not to ensure that the GPU won’t scan in the middle of a scan out. The polling takes about 1ms, which translates to a 3 - 5% performance impact compared to v-sync on. NVIDIA is working on eliminating the polling entirely, but for now that’s how it’s done.

Did they mean compared to V-Sync off? I thought if V-Sync is on, there isn't really going to be tearing anyways? 5% lower framerates than that other thing that eliminates tearing makes it awfully hard to justify the premium they charge when it can be put towards a GPU upgrade. And I'm one of the guys who has the upgradable Asus monitor and was looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

e: The other thing is, with this tech, so long as you're getting over 30 FPS, it seems like extra FPS is effectively wasted? I know with current monitors I see a big difference between 30 and 60 FPS, but I wonder if that will still be true with a Gsync screen? It seems possible, at least. (I never turn on vsync presently, I play on a 30" screen and don't have the GPU power to keep it at 60 FPS all the time with a single GTX680).

Not wasted, because with V-Sync off I can still tell a clear difference between 30, 40, 50, and 60 FPS. The difference between 60 and 120 is like night and day as well, but from 120 to 144hz I can't pretend I can see much of a difference from there. In first person shooters or anything with fast motion, every bit does help.

Wouldn't something like a 240hz IPS, if those come to market in time with G-Sync, eliminate a lot of the perceived tearing just as well?