Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm trying to crank up my gtx560 using Asus gpu tweak. I've turned the core speed to 910mhz and it's perfectly stable, but it won't let me go any higher. I've tried turning the voltage up to 1.035 but still nothing. Is there any way to go higher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm in the same boat, running a 560 (non ti in my case) at 1920x1200. The 1070 and Polaris are what interest me, the 1080 doesn't seem worth the premium for my usage.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
~£170 for the new AMD card to max out everything on my U2412M sounds like a good plan to me, coming from a gtx560. Even my wife couldn't complain about that, right?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The 1070 prices are too big a jump from the 970 for my wallet. Here's hoping the RX480 can deliver.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That is probably because the static cockpit part of the image makes your brain realize that you are stationary, sort of like how your brain realizes you are not actually moving in a FPS when viewing it through a monitor because of the static environment around the monitor image.

Didn't people get bad motion sickness when the early properly 3d games like Descent came out?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gray Matter posted:

Simpler times.

Simpler? I used to have a little external cable that went from my 2d card to my 3d card, that's way more complex than today!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Holyshoot posted:

Lol if you bought a 9800 pro. The pro move was to get a 9800 non pro and unlock it to become a 9800 pro. Good times.

Was that the card you could unlock with a pencil?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
For any UK types, Overclockers have cut all their 9xx prices pretty drastically. Still a bit high if the 480 delivers as expected, but the hell knows with amd?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Fragrag posted:

Alternate still has them well north of 500€

Is Alternate a good place to buy from? They currently have the Cryorig H7 at half the price anyone else in the UK has it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I hope the 480 launch in 12 days is nothing like this NVidia farce.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rabid Snake posted:

Excuse my ignorance for exchange rates, but if the British Pound drops, how does that help the Euro when it comes to buying power?

Because someone in the Euro can buy freely from the UK with no extra import fees or tax, so where 1 euro was worth x pounds yesterday, it's worth y today, so that 1080 might have cost (for example) 700 euros yesterday but can now be bought from the UK for the equivalent of 600 euros today. I don't think reality will be that extreme, but it could if the pound continues to tank.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

All of those 480 links are now showing as "sorry this product is not available any more".

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

snuff posted:

Some really good deal for mainland europeans on OCUK, 10% off firesale before England sinks.

EDIT: Asus 980ti Strix for £359, pretty nice deal.

They have a 970 Strix for £229 with a £20 rebate, so £209 total. Seems like a bargain.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
For UK people, Scan have the EVGA 970 FTW+ for sub £230 after the £20 cashback. So tempting.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I was waiting to see what the 480 was like before deciding what to upgrade to from my 560gtx. With the firesales going on, an Evga sc is £200 and a FTW + is £230. Other than dx12, would I be missing anything by going for the 970 over the 480? If the 970 is the better option, is the FTW+ worth the extra over the superclocked?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

repiv posted:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/61887

Sapphire 480 Nitro 8GB just showed up for £250, which is £20 more than reference. Not bad considering how much of an improvement that cooler will be.

Weren't reference supposed to be £170 and £200? Is £230 the early adopter tax? Saying that, the Sapphire seems to fix the 480 with the 8 pin connector and decent cooling. I wonder when someone will have one to benchmark.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Twerk from Home posted:

I think that was before the pound tanked in value. OC UK were saying that they lost money honoring preorder prices.

Ah yes. Another addition to the list of reasons to hate Farage, Johnson and Gove.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Paul MaudDib posted:

The aftermarket cards that have proper power sourcing are just terrible price/performance.

Are there any performance figures released for aftermarket 480s yet? I thought the Nitro was the only one even available for preorder and it has no benchmarks yet.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

repiv posted:

Yeah, don't buy a reference RX480 until the power draw situation is resolved.

Background if you're out of the loop: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480

In this OCUK thread about the Sapphire Nitro 480, an OCUK staff member is saying that the power issue is no such thing and hugely downplaying the whole situation. Seems very dodgy if it's as bad as it could be. Rather surprising he's not just saying to wait and see, but I guess OCUK have cards to shift.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I didn't read the OC thread but that card has an 8 pin connector so perhaps that's what they were talking about when they said that power draw wasn't an issue.

No, the OC guy was talking about 480s in general, saying loads of cards go past pcie spec.

E: "Power draw is not an issue on regular RX 480, it is something all current cards do which is exceed power draw, even a 960 does, but for some reason people are making a lot of noise on the RX 480 about it, whereas this is nothing new and effects plenty of other GPU's.

It won't harm your mainboard and AMD are even releasing a new driver on 5th July next week to resolve such issue any way."

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 4, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Subjunctive posted:

I'm surprised the RX480 can overclock well, given that it's an electrical fire à gogo even stock, but I haven't been paying s ton of attention.

Techpowerup found overclocking the 480 to give minimal improvement.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
As ever, it's "wait and see what the 3rd party cards are like" for me to choose between the 480 and 1060. Given it'll be replacing my 560, the 1060 seems like its spiritual successor.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gwaihir posted:

I thought the 480 fix wasn't a performance throttle, they were just going to overdraw the PSU instead of the PCIe slot, almost as if they weren't completely insane to start with.

I think I read that AMD have actually given 2 options to fix the card, one to overdraw the PSU and the other is to downthrottle the card to draw less power but for a hit in performance. Neither option will be enabled by default though, so if you know nothing about the issue you could still fry your motherboard.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, 980 would be about where the RX480/1060 is.

I thought it was looking more like 480 ~= 970 and 1060 ~=980.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonkish posted:

AMD is having some sort of event in Korea at 5pm local time (which is apparently 4am EST/1am PST). Sapphire is "introducing" the 480 Nitro there. We might actually get information on clocks and such, as well as maybe hopefully a release date (but probably not, this is AMD PR we're talking about here... they'll probably waste time talking about nothing and then forget to give out information that anyone cares about).

This post brought to you by rampant insomnia.

Guru3D say the boost clock is 1317mhz.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there a water cooling megathread? I haven't the first idea about it and would like to read up on it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So from the looks of things, we might not see aftermarket RX 480's until mid-August. Asus announced their Strix was coming out mid-August, Sapphire said today in their weekly youtube show that they weren't in production yet and no one else has even mentioned a date yet. The GTX 1060 is launching Tuesday, with aftermarket cards available right away. If no RX 480 maker can release a card until mid-August, then it feels like AMD would have given away the mid-range to Nvidia, with them already giving away the high end with Vega not coming until 2017.

Overclockers has the Sapphire 480 Nitro+ with a release date ETA of 22nd July.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 18, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonkish posted:

Oc UK is showing the 480s as shipping Aug 5th now.

Where does it say that? If I hover over the pre-order link it still says 22nd. Also, they are cranking the price on the 480s, the Nitro+ will be £259 with the Nitro at £249.

e: ah, standard Nitro is showing 5th, Nitro+ still 22nd. OCUK staffer saying 22nd looking very unlikely.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 18, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
1060s are released at 2pm BST tomorrow on OCUK. I'd hope some benchmarks would go up before then.

e: The Powercolor Devil 480 is up for pre-order on OCUK at £249, that's cheaper than the new Nitro+ price (as of tomorrow) and I think the boost speed is faster too.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 18, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Twerk from Home posted:

If it's over $300, gently caress that. Doesn't that make it worse performance per dollar than the $450 GTX 1070s?

Ocuk have it listed for £250, I can't see it being over $300 unless Ocuk have hosed up their pricing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
First 1060s have started appearing: mini version here and standard version here.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Korean benchmarks of 1060 vs 480.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If those results are repeated then it's a slightly slower and less efficient 480 vs a slightly faster and mor eefficient 1060. Prices look to be identical or very nearly, so it could come down to which version of sync you have or intend to get. For me, it would probably be the 480 and a freesync monitor later, even if it's a touch slower and hotter.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sout posted:

So what's the word on AIB 480s, good card? or are they still blowing up or drawing too much power or whatever it is.

Nobody knows. Still.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Thanks for these. Have another arstechnica.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mega Comrade posted:

And are Gainward any good? There's a 1060 at £240 from them, but I've honestly never heard of them.

Gainward Golden Samples used to be fantastic cards way back when. There's a quick review of the Phoenix in this Techspot review of the 1060: http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060/page9.html

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gunder posted:

I really would like the fancy MSI model, but £300 is too much. Still pretty tempted by a Saphire reference 480 instead. It's only £249.

The Powercolor AIB is £249 and is clocked much higher, although who knows when it will be released.

I think I'm going mad but I'm really leaning towards the 4gb reference 480, ebuyer have them for £174. Unlock the extra memory and it's an 8gb 480 for peanuts compared to the 1060s.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 19, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Palladium posted:

Still I wonder who would be *that* dumb to buy something like a $330 Asus Strix 1060 instead of any 1070 when available at ~$400.

There are brand new 980tis for the same price as top end 1060s in the UK.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gunder posted:

I wonder how expensive the RX 470 will be? My friend is due a video card upgrade, and I was going to sell him my old 970 for £170, but if the RX 470 would be just as good (or better) for an equivalent price, he may be better off waiting until August 4th.

He can get brand new 970s for £200 and a 4gb 480 for £180.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

averox posted:

In case someone isn't from the US and isn't familiar with Rent-A-Center, and I'm not sure if other countries have predatory businesses like this, they're stores that allow you to rent-to-own furniture, appliances, or electronics. A $400 Playstation 4 is only 52 payments of $29.99 a week for a grand total of $1559.48 in my area. A $700 (at bestbuy and amazom) LG 4K TV is only 104 payments of $29.99 a week for a total of $3118.96.

It's legal because it's all in writing and it's your fault if you didn't read the terms. Because, sir/ma'am, it's only $30 a week. $30 a week so you can have this new TV in your house.

We have the same setup in the UK, with stores like Brighthouse. They basically prey on poor people who can't afford £1500 for a tv in one go, but can just about scrape together the £30 a week or whatever. For example, a £1.5k 55" LG tv (a touch overpriced but not crazy) with delivery, installation and service plan (total ~£2k) is just 156 payments of £26. £4k!