Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So I haven't built a machine in years and I'm doing a build for gaming and photoshop.

I got a pretty awesome deal on a used 560 Ti (It's a gigabyte card, which is not the best option according to the building thread but at that price ill take a risk).

Since I'm not going to be overclocking it (and quite frankly hat emost video card utility addons and their awful interfaces), can I just go right to the nvidia site and get the proper drivers or do I have to go to gigabytes site and install theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

For desktop GPUs, the manufacturer always just points you to the generic drivers. Go ahead and get them from Nvidia's site.

Thanks, just double checking.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ugh, that 760 review on Anandtech is really making me consider ditching my 560ti, especially at the pricepoint.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So my gigabyte 560ti is like a jet engine when it's under load, but I'm slightly confused by wha tI'm seeing here. The 560ti is quieter than the 760? Or is this just based on the stock 760 design?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

It's comparing stock cards. Also, 41 dBA isn't "like a jet engine" - it sounds like your card may be overheating and blasting the fan to full.

That could be it.

I'm going to take the top off the box and load a game to see what's causing this. Apparently this model (GV-N560OC-1GI) has some reports of fan failure so maybe that's what is going on.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If I game at 1080p, and don't give a poo poo about playing on ultra, will I notice a difference between the 3GB and 6GB variations of the 1060?

It's my HTPC/Steambox and I don't play games on it that don't support controllers.

I currently have a 950 in there which runs Rocket League fine but it chokes on Dark Souls 3 a lot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Khablam posted:

Dark Souls 3 won't stress either. 6Gb might offer better performance in games that need >3Gb of VRAM to shine. You can also realistically just keep texture detail one notch lower on those games for the same result.

Cool. Looks like the small 3gb EVGA is my upgrade, thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Can confirm, I've had my 1060 for 3 days and I love it (I even cheaped out and got the 200$ 3gb version).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

The lead designer of Vega was secretly a buttminer and is now sitting, laughing in a very hot room surrounded by racks filled with dusty strawberries.

ftfy

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rexxed posted:

There's a lot of people who think overclocking is scary for some reason. I think they only buy the -K because maybe someone will do it for them later (like maybe their motherboard's built in UEFI could do it if they knew how to even use it). There's also been times when the -K model had higher stock clocks, like the i7-4790 vs. i7-4790K (3.6/4.0 vs. 4.0/4.4).

Personally I stick to non K because the only machines I build anymore are NAS devices and I want Vt-d

E: whoops, this is the GPU thread, never mind.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

This really sucks, my 1060 3GB is starting to have weird dots and flickering and I think its dying and the market is out of control. All I need is a card for 1080p60 and the market is insane.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sweeper posted:

Take it to the gbs thread, I think

I'd say the climate change thread in cspam.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I picked up a 1660 (non ti/super) at my local microcenter in Flushing and I'm done hunting anything. All I need is 1080p@60 and I don't give a crap about ultra. Between tariffs, scalpers, and scarcity its just not worth it for me anymore.

I really feel for anyone needing high res/refresh right now, goddamn.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

repiv posted:

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/147498-amd-brings-smart-access-memory-ryzen-3000-series-cpus/

AMD is enabling SAM/reBAR across the board for Ryzen 3000 chips (except the bottom end APUs that are rebadged Zen+ parts)

I think some motherboard manufacturers wrangled it into working already? Anyway it's better for it to be official.

I'm a little confused here, will this only work with AMD GPUs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Got my 4070S ASUS dual in the mail today, two days earlier than quoted time. Got it all hooked up and went great, this time I even remembered to take the plastic off the backplate. Running 1440p and killing it in everything I've tried so far. Huge upgrade from my 1070ti. But that card was a steal, came with two games and a battle pass that brought it down to almost $200 after selling that stuff.

Got the exact same one this week and finally had time to set it up. It handled Returnal at 1440p "epic" perfectly.