Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Agreed posted:

Maybe they'll have an ACX cooling version of the 760 - that would be a seriously bad mother, and I seem to recall one of the leaks being of an EVGA box with the "ACX" branding logo on it... Wait and see if you have the patience for it?
Agreed was on point, as usual: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933
Ordered. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Agreed posted:

Don't hate me for telling ya, but it turns out the ACX design scales down somewhat less well than one might hope. It's still hella better than reference cooling, but the noise levels can't match MSI or Gigabyte or Asus, and temps aren't quite as good either. It's the least effective of the four aftermarket coolers of note on the GTX 760.
Naw, I don't hate at all! EVGA is a good brand. MY last GPU (560ti 448) was EVGA, and it was fantastic.
My 760 arrived today, and I'll be popping it in tonight.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

AMD has the consoles, Nvidia has the Tegra (ARM Cortex SoC with a handful of GeForce cores). Both aren't going anywhere, and there will always be PC gamers and there will always be brand fanboys.
I was thinking this as well.

Brand loyalty is straight up bad for the consumer. I never get how/why people identify as being Team Green or Team Red. Just buy what is the best available for your money and needs at the given time.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why did a bunch of Strixes just appear in open box for newegg
Idiots freaking out over the 4Gb thingy, I'd guess?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I thought a 970 paired up with an i5 2500K @4.2Ghz would be able to run GTAV more or less maxed out at 1080p.
I was wrong. :smith: Inconsistent framerate, drops down to the 30s at times. So weird.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

My Strix 970 is a bit saggy on the right too. Seems to work ok, but it's kind of annoying.
You spend all this time getting your cable management just so, and then you have this droopy ballbag GPU loving up all of your :rice: action.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Holy poo poo, that loving backplate looks like Trapper Keeper art or something.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

i can empathize. my 970 STRIX can't go past 1300mhz boost clock without getting artifacts and crashing even with voltage turned all the way up.
I feel that. My Strix 970 is having none of my OC business. Makes me miss cranking up my 560-ti-448!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

DrDork posted:

e; it was "specially designed for intensive computing" :swoon:
So it has an under-desk splash guard?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Local Microcenter has 6 MSI Gaming X 1070's.
I play at 1080/60 and I do not need to upgrade from my Strix 970 at all, and yet...the 1070 is gnawing at me.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

sout posted:

In 10 years I'll be chugging along at 1fps, still refusing to upgrade my 2500k.
loving same. The contract is sealed. 2500K forever.
Mine has lasted 3 generations of Nvidia GPUs. (560Ti-448, 760, 970)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I have the Strix 970 which has a backplate, and that fat thing sags like crazy. I dunno.

Thinking about building a budget PC for a friend soon, and buying a 1050 or 1050ti. Kinda thinking I'm going to avoid EVGA and go MSI or ASUS.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

She SAAAYS she's only had 2 GPUs before this one, but I know she's been around for a long time (P67,) so you're probably right!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Agrajag posted:

Should I prioritise power or temperature in EVGA Precision XOC?
Crank them both up and prioritize temp.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I will confirm what others have said about ASUS customer support. It is loving AWFUL!
I've had EVGA, Asus, and if I were buying today, I'd go with MSI.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

So is this right?

EVGA: worst card, best warranty, best service
ASUS: good card, what warranty?, terrible service
MSI: best card, sketchy warranty, sketchy service

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

repiv posted:

Heads up - the deadline to claim your :20bux::10bux: from the GTX970 settlement is tomorrow.

https://www.gtx970settlement.com
Good looking out, just filed for mine. Thanks!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Event 41 kernel power shutdowns are frustratingly vague and idiopathic. I had a spate of them in the last year that made me suspect my aging (but high quality) PSU, to the extent I actually just replaced it with a brand new EVGA 650 P2. The really weird thing is that none of them ever happen while under CPU or GPU load, only while it's running calmly idle and I'm afk.

Since then, I had one event 41 overnight so that tells me that it wasn't my old or new PSU, it was probably the Asus mainboard all along that chokes on my CPU overclock now and then. It's always had weird issues with waking up from sleep or a cold boot, so you really have to rule everything out manually with stuff like this to diagnose. It loving sucks
This same exact thing happened to me over the summer. I replaced my Seasonic gold PSU w/a brand new EVGA 550G2 and the stupid problem persisted. Also had an ASUS mobo (P8P67.) I ended up doing a full reinstall of Win10. Everything was working fine again, until I reinstalled HWinfo64. I restored back to pre-HWinfo, and the kernel power issues subsided. So, I'm still not really sure if it was HWinfo, but I definitely don't plan on reinstalling it anytime soon...

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I have an Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 so honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was the culprit, as I've fully swapped my RAM, PSU and GPU since originally building the PC in 2012. I just updated to the most recent BIOS from 2015, which I neglected to do. Like 2 out of the previous 4 firmware ROMs had the vague devnote "Increased Stability", so maybe that's very telling.
I hate ASUS so much. Their website, service, support...everything is so vague and not helpful.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Buying a new GPU with a budget of about $500.
I'm hoping to game at 1440p/144hz at high-ish settings, no VR stuff.
I have a preference for new and not used, and live in the US.
In the past, I've had positive experiences with EVGA and MSI, but don't know what the good brands are these days (it's been a while...)
Can you guys point me in the right direction?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

So, does Agreed's old boost 2.0 overclocking for dummies guide still basically apply for Pascal?

iirc:
open Precision/Afterburner
set voltage to max
set power target as high as it will go
set temp target as high as it will go
prioritize temp target

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

After that you set clock offsets and see the most you can stably get.
Alright, thanks! Trial and error time.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Once you have a clock offset that is stable you'll want to do the same for your memory offset. I'd give it a week or so of playing games etc at a certain clock offset without touching memory offset so that if you get a crash you know what caused it and you aren't stuck with two variables to mess with.

So here I have a +150 offset on my gpu clock and a +700 offset on my memory. The memory clock offset makes very little difference relative to the GPU clock.

Started with trial and error GPU offset, and kept going up by 13. I hit a wall at 208, so backed off a step to 195. It seems happy here so far. Gonna let it sit here for a while and then start messing around w/the memory offset. Thank you for the advice.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds good! +195 is quite an offset, what card is it again? If that's stable in games you've got a good one I guess.
The card is: EVGA GTX1070ti SC Black Edition (that's a mouthful!) I tested it with Kombustor for a bit, then loaded up Yakuza 0 at 1440p on Ultra settings. I played for about 2 hours with no issues. :)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Had the unfortunate circumstance of having a monitor poo poo the bed AND needing a new GPU at the same time, and wasn't in a position to wait.
So, I bought both GSync and an Nvidia GPU approx a week ago. Feels bad, man! :smith:
(I'm consoling myself with at least getting a decent deal on them.)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

you still bought the best gpu for the most current popular games and the best version of gsync
That post felt like a hug. Thank you. :unsmith:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

So, I HAD to be a new GPU recently, and ended up getting an evga 1070ti for about $350.
Then, the RTX2060 came out.
I'm eligible for the EVGA step up (perhaps more of a lateral move) to the RTX2060, and all I'd pay is shipping. Would I be crazy to do this? Or would I be crazy NOT to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

alex314 posted:

drat, that perf per $ from TechPowerUp..
:laugh:Wow, that is pretty rough.