Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

This seems like a good time for AMD to hit back with something - they've usually been stronger in the mid-range - but I don't think there's anything new soon.

AMD already had their little 960 moment with that 2 GB R9 285 Tonga thing that left everyone scratching their heads.
More time for good old 7970/280X to bask in the sun its own warm glow as it gets close to 200$. I chuckled a little when it beat the 970 in that 1920*1200 DA:Inq Ultra benchmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

beergod posted:

The game is Far Cry 4.

Well there's the problem :)
You can google around for miracle fixes like this, but basically Ubisoft happens.
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2mt8fy/nvidia_users_who_stutter_in_far_cry_4_everyone/

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

1440p is not anywhere close to the norm, it only represents 1% of monitors on the Steam Hardware Survey, anything above 1080p is still nearly non-existent for single monitors.

I was gonna post this but yeah.
You still need a foot long monstrosity with 3 fans to play nice 1080p, 1440p is not even on the radar until the masses will have digested the GTX 970 shock 2-3 generations down the road.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Volguus posted:

Well, I have a 970
Of course you do. What do you think the percentage of people who spent 300+ dollars on a R9 290/GTX 970 is?
The system builder thread has to dissuade people from buying prebuilds with 720's every day, or begging them to get a R9 280 for 40$ more to triple performance over the shiny 120$ card that seems "good enough for WoW". And those are already 2 steps above the general population.

Volguus posted:

So, where does that statement even come from? What does "nice" mean to you?
Like the other guy said, playing non-Blizzard console ports in High quality.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Today's GTX 960 leaks are dire.
It's a GM204 cut in half but they stepped hard on the clockspeed to edge out a benchmark lead over the 760, 1200+ MHz out of the box = 120W and the same cooling needed as a 970.
Somehow they managed to make a card that's less attractive than the 2GB Tonga.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I guess 3 year old 7970's for 230 bucks is just too good of a deal for the dirty poors, it couldn't be allowed to happen again :tinfoil:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Why would you install the lovely software that comes with a harddrive/SSD, and most of the stuff that comes with mainboards and GPUs? That's just begging for trouble

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

Do you know what rapid does?

I looked it up and it said something about a Samsung Wizard turning 1Gig+ of your Ram into hibernating cache for a SSD.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yeah. It boosts your read and write speeds to the Gigabyte/s range. poo poo's great.

Yeah sounds great. Maybe try uninstalling it (or Windows Update KB3004394) and see if the memory leak goes away.

http://community.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?181955-Shadow-of-Mordor-Low-Memory-Crash
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2445819/replace-memory-sticks-malfunctioning.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1529593/samsung-magician-4-5-update/50 lol

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Make sure the fans are not scraping against a wire or cable, otherwise yeah send it in for a replacement.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
http://maxict.nl/product/4779325/-pny-gtx-960-2gb-gddr5
Dutch GTX 960 listed for 249€ plus VAT, in a shop that sells 970's for good prices :ohdear:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Khagan posted:

Hearing about the VRAM requirements for maxed out FarCry 4 @ 1080p has me wondering if we are trending towards 4GB+ VRAM for newer titles.

That's just Ubisofts shitness.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/dragon_age_inquisition_vga_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,9.html
You scratch 2GB on 1080p, on a ultra setting that will cause 980's to dip below 60fps.
Yeah it's not enough for grognarded uncompressed Skyrim 4K texture packs, who cares.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 20, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I wanna see that game that requires 3GB+ for console parity, ie 1080p with FXAA or 2xMSAA, 4x if you're generous.
On a setting that will keep a 200$ card within eyesight of 60fps ofc.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 20, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Looks ok. I wasn't aware Tonga is more thirsty than Tahiti XTL at less horsepower. That doesn't bode well for AMDs new stuff :drat:

Are they gonna stream their presentation? I enjoy watching Nvidias Korean (?) CEO.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Hace posted:

Am I missing something? It's way below par compared to a 770

That was/is a upper middle class 400$ card.
The 960 will do nice looking 1080p on 60Hz monitors, without generating noticeable heat or noise or bullshit AMD issues for 200$, not an ounce more.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Hace posted:

Also do we just hate all AMD hardware now or something?

Nah I just went down some rabbit hole and read AMD issues threads for 2 hours.
The ones with 280X's coming out of the box artifacting because it was pushed too far, and 290's randomly blackscreening while browsing the internet are my favorite :ohdear:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

So is the 960 the upgrade for me? I'm coming from an old 650 that barely plays Wasteland 2 at 1080p. I only have a 400watt PSU that I really don't wanna go through the trouble of replacing. I play at 1920x1080 in most cases. Basically Stalker CoP and some Sturmovik 1942, but I want to play some GTA5 and a bit of Elite Dangerous. My only caveat is that I'd like to be able to drive an Oculus Rift when they finally come out. I don't know what the resolution on those will be but I'd like to have a playable frame rate on it.

You should post your rig, especially your power supply model and case size, in the building & parts sticky.
^^ uh yeah VR is another story, the games will run fine unless your power supply is hot garbage

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 23, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah the 970 has been that magical 192bit/3GB card that everyone is yearning for all along.
Just not for 250$ :downs:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 23, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

spasticColon posted:

But has a 960Ti been confirmed or is it pure speculation?

speculation from Asian shipping manifests that said 4GB and more shaders (unlikely since the 960 is the full GM206)
2 empty Ram slots on some PCB suggest a 3GB/192bit variant, maybe with even higher clocks (or shoddy planning)
the hopes and dreams of budget games for a garbage bin harvested GM204 (the 970 has this covered already)

Take your pick :smithcloud:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Haerc posted:

After being underwhelmed by the 960 specs, should I just go for a 280x? Will my PSU be able to handle it(550w)?

Or will the 960ti will be worth the wait?

550W is fine if it's a quality PSU, no one knows if there will even be a better 960

Spend 10$ more for a Tri-X of Vapor-X

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Urby posted:

Umm, question from someone without too much GPU knowledge, but what happened to the Asus 780 ti UCII cards. I bought one a while back for around $700(AUS) and recently have been wanting to get a second one to SLI with. Only issue is, I can't find a single PC shop that stocks them. And looking on Ebay. I only see one being sold for $1200.

So I guess my question is... what happened to the card market-wise and also, does anyone know where I can obtain one for a reasonable price?

They have been out of production since September and replaced by the GTX 980.
Now the only people looking for them are in the same desperate situation as you are :smith:

Maybe you can sell it? Or keep looking on Craigslist and hope whatever you get isn't a shot to hell card that some scummer tries to unload.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey a GeForce 660Mu is still the best laptop GPU right?

Wouldn't that be the 980M/970M now?
http://www.asus.com/us/site/g-series/G751/

I guess it depends heavily on your definition of 'best'

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I actually neglected to post it because I got tired of typing on my iPad but this is before the fans even start!

Can you reproduce that noise?
If it happens again try touching the card very gently with a fingertip, sounds like resonance vibrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Wasn't the ACX 2.0 SSC+ the EVGA that finally got a halfway competitive cooler?
MSI is the default recommendation, Asus Strix if you want a backplate included.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

SHOTS FIRED, REQUESTING BACKUP, REPEAT, SHOTS FIRED

I hope some idiot who's panic selling his MSI 970 buys a referebce blower R9 290 just like that to stick it to the man.
Don't buy that card unless you really like the smell of melting plastic and having a miniature jet engine sitting next to you.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Im playing at 1080p, so yeah. Maybe I'm just expecting a bit too much from my card but I certainly can't get a steady 60 fps on DA Inquisition with everything on ultra.

A benchmark 980 did 55fps at 1080p DA:I on the Ultra preset, so don't worry about it.

^^ yeah

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

I play 1440p but keep everything ultra except turn off MSAA. Can't tell a difference at all but maybe it's more noticeable at lower rez.

A huge part of the performance hit is probably from the 8x Ultra AA.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

Can get an asus 290x for like $270 after rebates today on newegg :wow:
ediT: wow those are some insanely bad reviews for newegg

quote:

Load up DA Inquisition and a minute into it what's that sound? Is someone cooking hot pockets? Smells like someone is burning styrofoam popcorn. Alright new card I read the reviews and knew this card can get hot but didn't think it would be a problem on a new card. Checked the temps and it was at 92c. Felt my exhaust and it was a heater blowing hot air
There's a reason AMD slashed the prices for Hawaii down to the bone.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
How many harvested GM204's that don't make the 970 cut can there be in a mature 28nm process? Aren't those already being shipped to partners as 970M?
I don't think there'll be anything beyond a pointless 4GB model until 970 sales take a nosedive.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

vty posted:

I've got an R9 280x that recently, after about 3 months of use starting doing crazy artifacts in Windows. I thought maybe it was a recent driver update, so I rolled back, forward, back, forward. Still had issues. I assumed it was a shot GPU that needs to be RMAd, but when I uninstall the drivers completely and let it use whatever Windows uses for a generic display adapter it works fine. I'm running it like that now just so I can browse the web and use the PC.

I reinstalled Win8.1 fresh last week, thinking that might resolve the issue. Nope. Once an AMD driver is installed it artifacts like crazy.

Bad GPU? Bad vBios on the GPU? I'm just confused by the fact that it works fine without any drivers installed. Same HDMI port, cable, etc. It's nice to use the computer but I'd really enjoy being able to play games again.

Try clocking it down a bit. Those poor things are 7970's that were stepped on for the GHz edition, then again to make a 280X, and a final time by MSI/Sapphire etc.
Many of them are pushed beyond safe levels out of the box :smith:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Who cares about the cruel joke that is Hawaii, if they wanna make a fuss unload (good) 280X'es for 180$ RRP.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

eggyolk posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105036

Refurbished HD7990 for $300 after $10 rebate, whose gonna take the plunge?

What would you even use a Crossfired 3GB 280X for :confused:
Obviously not 1440p+ gaming if you're making GBS threads your pants over the Nvidia 970 thing.

Yeah 90 days limited warranty and restocking fee, no thank You.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Fat_Cow posted:

So I finally got a job so I'll be upgrading my GPU soon. Currently I have a 770, and I'm having trouble running games like Assassins Creed Unity and Dying Light, without being kicked back to my desktop due to "Low Memory" Is this an issue solved by getting a 4GB GPU, or is more RAM needed, since I only have 8.

That's an issue with lovely coding and memory leaks. Those 2 games are probably the worst offenders of being poo poo.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Rastor posted:

Intel seems focused on muscling into the low power / mobile game right now at huge expense, I doubt they want to spend even more money to also fight for a piece of the discrete graphics card pie.

It's not necessarily going to be "a giant die", but Intel Skylake is expected to be available with "GT4e" graphics featuring 72 Execution Units, which by some estimates will bring it up to GTX 750 / 750Ti levels of performance.

It's gonna be interesting to see how well GT4e/128MB cache (insert XBone joke here) fares with decent DDR4.
The <150$ graphics card segment could just disappear.

VP9 hardware support is also pretty nifty. Will that work for playing Youtube videos in Chrome? I spend so many hours a day doing that.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Going for quality of life/silent operation and strict TDP limits like Intel does for CPUs was absolutely the correct choice.
If AMD go full steam ahead with their Pirate Island stuff they're gonna look like fossils.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

I look forward to the day that AMD goes under and Nvidia starts selling GPUs for no less than 500 bucks. Lets all root for the failure of AMD, monopolies always work out alright for the consumer.

Eh the psychological barriers have been set for years.
A low mid cpu/gpu that barely scrapes by is 100/150$, midrange sweet spot (i5, 960, R9 280) 200$, and the good stuff (i7, 970) 330$
Good luck breaking those anytime soon.

AMD can suck dick, every time they come out with something that's competitive they charge an arm and a leg after dropping smug tweets and youtube videos.
Now that doesn't happen often, but you may remember the 1000$ Bulldozer CPU or the aforementioned 7970.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Annath posted:

What ever came out of the whole 970 VRAM snafu? Anything at all?

I read some article where they tried their hardest to make it choke at 4K with SLI.
Their conclusion was that Nvidia has very, very good drivers that will perform superhuman feats to hide any problem.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/68595-gtx-970s-memory-explained-tested.html
I think this was it

You wouldn't notice it outside of synthetics that move 4GB blocks around and bypass the driver.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

quote:

while the R9 380 series will feature Grenada, a re-brand of the Hawaii chip from the R9 290 series
:flaccid:

So what they're saying is that AMD is gonna sell a warmed over 290X (with GCN 1.2 hacked in) for the amazing price of 250$? That's what we've been waiting for?

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Why would you use Vsync and a framerate limiter at the same time, on a 60Hz display especially?
That seems like a surefire recipe for rock stable 30fps gaming :confused:

Hopefully AMD gets their limiter going in the next CCC and it doesn't suck.