Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

Well, 780s with the fancy cooler are going to be very luck-of-the-draw; amazon is backordered out 1-2 months. If I were going to attempt a purchase today I'd go direct from EVGA, in my experience (which is becoming less and less anecdotal as I keep buying poo poo from them, hah) they service direct orders in priority, I'd speculate because direct customers are more likely to be very brand-loyal rather than trend-hoppers to which one is fast right now (I mean, we've all gotta know that there are going to be other non-reference coolers coming up that will be fast as all hell too).

I say this because brand loyal EVGA die-hards are more likely to buy into the warranty scheme they have set up and the pre-paid RMA and all that, which makes a lot of money for services that are much more often than not totally unnecessary as the product rarely fails.

So good luck, EVGA ACS hunters. This is the rush - give it a month or two and see how things look when we get some real competition in the "ours is faster :smug:" game. I'm betting on MSI.

Also I hope I get a card and you don't, hth. Just, you know, for now. I still love you guys.

I wish EVGA would sell ATI cards :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The 320 drivers are dogshit. Just do a google search for nvidia 320 crashes. I was getting hard locks and blue screens like mad until I went back to the 314 drivers. Apparently there is something screwed up with the phsyx driver that comes included.

Hmm, just noticed they released a beta driver yesterday. Wonder if this one fixes the crashing.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 26, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

I think it's a bit of confirmation bias and self-selection - people with issues post about them, people who don't have problems say nothing, so it looks like more than it is.

Maybe there's something up with the drivers, but I'm on the betas that were released yesterday and I can play anything for hours without issues. The only thing I've run into is that Far Cry 3 has an occasional shadow glitch. That's it, though, no issues with everything else I've played (from hyper-realistic modern DX11 games to older DX9 games on the UE3 engine - I'm playing through the Dead Space and Batman series games right now, as well as Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3, and Bioshock 2 and Infinite). I can also run FluidMark just fine on my dedicated PhysX card, and it will get the 650Ti (which, incidentally, I've overclocked quite a lot) up to mid-70% usage just for PhysX calculations without crashing or anything. Same for the benchmarks with Batman, Metro 2033.

It clearly isn't an issue affecting everyone, so calling the drivers dogshit is a bit premature. I do think that the 314 drivers are comparatively fully mature, and the 320 drivers are experiencing some issues that are fairly run of the mill for launch drivers.

I personally would tentatively be more inclined to point toward the new nVidia Experience application as a possible source of trouble, it has unusual access to games and I chose not to install it or the 3D drivers when updating from 314 to 320.18, and the same when moving to 320.49.

Ya, I'm still pissed off that nvidia drivers won't let me use 2d surround because my monitors weren't all 3 bought on the same day, yet ATI drivers worked perfectly fine for them. Guess I'll give the new beta driver a go later today.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ghostpilot posted:

Kinda wondering now if maybe I should offload my 10 day old vapor-x 7970 ge and maybe take up my buddy's offer of recruiting for his WoW guild in exchange for him going half on a 780.

Though I'd rather slowly insert bamboo shoots under my fingernails than have anything to do with WoW again.

Add up how many hours of your life will be wasted and how much damage to your liver the drinking from being a recruiter for a warcraft guild will do to you. Now, the deal doesn't seem that awesome anymore does it. Hell, you could probably mow a few lawns for the money for less stress.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

SourKraut posted:

Does the R9-280X debut this week, or is it just pre-order also?

I've been waiting to get a card that can ideally power 1440p at max settings/60 fps for Diablo III, WoW, etc., and had settled originally on the 7970 GE, but with the R9-280X appearing to be a re-badged 7970 GE and now coming in at $299, I'm hoping that either a) it'll be available right away this week, b) it'll force the GTX 770 down in price to $300-350ish to where I might go with the 4GB version of it instead, or c) the GTX 780 will ultimately come down as the R9-290X approaches release and I just go ahead and try to get a little longer out of whatever card I do get by paying more and going more powerful. I saw the 4GB GTX 770 this week at Newegg for ~ $425 but it seems like prices will drop a lot once the R9-280X comes out. Thoughts?

The cards won't be out from under NDA until the 15th, then I'm guessing available sometime in November. My 7970 runs WoW and D3 at max settings on a 30" monitor just fine?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
AMD actually released the full specs on the 290x as of today. If the specs live up to their expectations the new card is gonna be a monster, but there are still some driver issues with running crossfire and eyefinity.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

Do you have a link to this? As far as I can tell nothing above R9 280X has been officially announced.

It -was- here, but they already took it down I guess. Someone must have oopsied. http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/R9/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-r9-series.aspx#3

As far as 280x goes, my 7970 already overclocks to 1200/1450, and I only paid 280 for it :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Apparently there is a newer beta driver out for AMD that makes a huge improvement, although it still doesn't fix frame pacing on crossfire + eyefinity setups.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rahu X posted:

Now it appears that the 290X is slated for October 18th.

Goddammit AMD, which is it? Oct. 18th, or Oct. 24th? Some reports even say it won't be out until Halloween.

The constant date jumping plus the lack of confirmation on price is really wracking my brain. :tizzy:

Funny that. Nvidia is supposed to announce something on the 17th. The plot thickens. I just need more pixels, my 7970 is overclocked to 1200 and can't go a lick faster without artifacts and can't push 3 monitors for poo poo if I turn up any of the settings.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
People are losing their loving minds over this AMD launch. This poo poo happens every time one company releases a new card and everyone seems to forget that the other company did the exact same thing the previous year. It's pretty funny to watch the fanboys for each side bicker and fight over which team is better and bring up/ignore "facts" about each side.

I just wish they would get it done already so I can decide which card I'm going to get. As it is, a single 7970 overclocked to its breaking point is -not- enough to run 8000x1440 resolution with any sort of eyecandy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Magic Underwear posted:

What kind of setup even adds up to 8000x1440?

edit: and plus, anybody could have told you that 8000x1440 is well beyond the purview of a single card. It's 40% more pixels than 4k. Even dual- and tri-SLI titans struggle at 4k.

Oh I'm well aware of that. As noted, it's bezel compensated 3x27". The problem is, MWO, which I can't seem to stop loving playing, does not support multiple cards because PGI is a bunch of loving retards. But I do plan on either picking up 2 290x -if- it comes out with a frame pacing driver that works in crossfire and eyefinity. Otherwise I'm just gonna get 1 and wait until either MWO stops being dumb or nvidia brings out something to beat a single 290x.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

Two interesting things recently posted about that I just wanted to briefly remark on:

1. A person playing games known to be extremely poorly optimized and/or CPU-bound complains of the performance of two 680s in SLI. Legitimate gripe though on the 2GB VRAM limit, that's a bummer.

2. A person playing at a resolution not quite twice 4K is miffed that no modern card supports it adequately, when the current crop of cards (and I include Titan and the 290X there) aren't capable of running the most demanding games of today singly or in some cases even in tandem at 1080p at a minimum of 60fps. Such is the price of pixels, the charge toward higher resolutions will be the domain of computer graphics as it has been, but especially so with the performance I think we can expect from consoles at or near 1080p.

What am I saying? Nothing bad about either use case, just that some users' demands on hardware are not yet solved problems. Time will tell.

Oh trust me, I know exactly what kind of dumb poo poo I've done. I bought the 690 back in December when my 6970s died and before knowing that the game didn't support SLI. Had I not been a retard I'd have just bought a 7970 or 780, but the 690 was still top dog at the time. I am playing at basically lowest possible settings with my card overclocked to 1200 and still only pushing around 45-50 fps, but at least it's playable, and triple monitors is the bomb. I'm just waiting to see -if- the 290x beats the 780 enough to warranty buying it, or if Nv comes out with something to top it. I'm buying something, I'm just waiting to see who ends up top dog when the 290 comes out, but at the rate we're going, it's going to be Thanksgiving before I can buy a loving card.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Asked earlier, I'd tell you that of course not, because video cards are designed for an amount of VRAM suitable for what they can actually render. Now? Depends on how much it costs, and I still wouldn't bother doing it with anything smaller, or choosing VRAM over a more powerful GPU.

Even six months ago, only things like modded Skyrim (and apparently Bioshock Infinite on ridiculous detail settings) needed that kind of RAM, but that was before it sank in that eighth-generation consoles are going to have like 4 GB of VRAM to play with. We're about to see VRAM usage get a good solid kick in the rear end, so it might be worthwhile.

Are you going back as far as the atari? Did I miss a console somewhere?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just a gentle reminder, the r9 280x is a 7970. It even crossfires with the 7970. Remember this when making decisions.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

90c is awfully hot but I'm curious to see how much terrible thermal paste is on the 290x reference coolers. Who's voiding their warranty and replacing the paste?

HIS and XFX don't void your warranty :) Guess which brand I'm buying and putting a waterblock on as soon as they come back in stock :) The 290x really starts to shine in high resolutions, and running triple 1440 is higher than a 4k monitor, so I need 2 of these yesterday. Should have stayed up f5'ing newegg last night I guess.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This card sets clocks completely differently than any other card in the past. It will ramp the poo poo out of the clocks up to a max of 1000 depending on heat/voltage/other factors. Uber mode only allows the card to go 55% fan, quite mode only allows 40% fan. You have to manually allow it to use 100% fan. All of this can be ignored by putting a waterblock on it :) There are reports of water overclocks as high as 1200. Now if someone would just get the drat things in stock so I can order 2.

Also, word is that it scales very well.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

El Scotch posted:

You don't have one because someone hogged them.

I happened upon newegg yesterday when sapphires and msi cards went up, but I don't really care for those companies. Holding out for XFX since I'm going to water cool :(

Gonna drop by Microcenter on the way home and see if they have them yet or even know when they are getting them.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

What's so special about XFX? I didn't see anything special in their warranty?

They have very good customer support in the event that you ever need it. They also don't void your warranty for changing the cooler. Almost all other companies will tell you to pound sand if you remove the heatsink for any purpose, even if it's just to replace the lovely thermal paste that undoubtedly comes on it by default. I only ever buy cards with the regular heatsink as I pretty much watercool everything.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Magic Underwear posted:

Not the marginal cost so much as the silicon cost. I think there might be some other costs in materials and putting the things together. Wild guess.

By the way guys, 780ti is going to cost $700, for some reason.

Hmm. Well prices have already fallen.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130923

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If the drat 290x doesn't come back in stock by Wednesday I might have to make a bad decision and order a 780 Classified.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I -almost- pulled the trigger on 2 780 Classifieds yesterday. When newegg first did their price drops they were 579 with the games, now the fuckers are back up to 699. I hate newegg some times.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KS posted:

On this plus side, the second-fastest card (980 vs 993 core) was $569 yesterday and is $524 today. Anything wrong with this that I'm missing?

Nope, just that there is a waterblock that fits the Classified, so I get a 980 I want that one :) I figure it'll be easier later when I try to sell it if I buy the waterblock separate vs buying the Classified Hydro.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp, just managed to grab a Gigabyte 290x for 550 from Amazon. It'll be here Friday, sadly, I don't think my waterblock will make it in time for the weekend.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ghostpilot posted:

You're on a 1440p, right? I'm really curious to hear how that goes. I'm torn between the 290x on a non-reference cooler and a 780ti with the same. Granted, I don't think I could work up the nerve to pony up that kind of cash (video cards are the one component I feel guilty about purchasing), but I might just have to deal with the guilt this generation.

I'm actually on triple 1440. The 290x really shines the higher the resolution. I'm about 20% higher on pixel count than UHD. The 290x is pretty even with the Titan until you get to the higher resolution then it starts to pull away. I'm assuming it's the extra ROPS.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm just glad that I'm apparently too blind to ever notice stuttering/tearing/etc while playing games. I guess the immersion factor of giant screens makes up for it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

goobernoodles posted:

Getting impatient as gently caress. Should I just pull the trigger on a 780 instead of waiting for an aftermarket cooled 290x? Someone tell me what I should do. :shepspends:

I'm running a GTX 480 and want a prettier BF4. I'm also considering upgrading my monitor to 1440p at some point.

If you have no plans to upgrade to multimonitor, the 780 is probably the better deal with the 3 games and price cut. I -almost- bought a classified, but then Newegg ran the price up to 699 and I managed to get ahold of a 290x.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Michymech posted:

So for any of the R9-290x owners out there, have any of you experienced coil whine when your card gets loaded up? The high fan noise I can live with but this high pitched buzzing noise is starting to get on my nerves

...guess that's what I get for buying a gigabyte card

No coilwhine on mine that I can hear. But the fan is pissing me right the gently caress off. My waterblock can't come in soon enough.

After thinking about it, I think I'm actually going to put my 7970 back in until my water block comes in. The noise I can deal with, but even if it is designed with a 95C threshhold I still don't like it getting that hot.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 4, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I played for exactly 1 game yesterday with the fan uncapped. After that it got back to the 55% auto setting. With my house only being around 70F the card starts throttling itself around 800mhz if it is only allowed to spin up to 55%. When it was allowed to spin to 100% it ran full 1000mhz but would sit at 80% fan and run up to 100% during more intense battles. That being said, 80% is loud as poo poo, 100% is purely unacceptable. But then again I've been spoiled with the silence of watercooling for about 5 years at this point.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Michymech posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Vi8gPsCbk
Thats the noise that I get and I got the OK to have my card sent back to be checked out and get a refund as its just really annoying to hear, the fan noise isn't a problem because a water block will be going on it but the coil whine will just be worse with out the fan there

Honest to god, I must be deaf. I could not hear any coil whine in that video. So ya.. Anyhoo, I am returning my 290x and I ordered 2 XFX 290s and 2 EK water blocks :) Will have 1 waterblock Thursday for sure, but not sure how long before the 2nd one comes in as they only had 1 left in stock.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
AT 60% or more fan speed it's loud.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'll have some results of my 290 crossfire up tonight, maybe, if I don't get too drunk. If nothing else I'll have at least 1 290 on water this weekend.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Teaser.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I -almost- bought 2 classies last week, but held off. Ended up with 2 290s because of the triple monitor set up. Acrylic wasn't my first choice but it was the only one they had in stock. Matter of fact, I tried to order 2, but ended up having to order 1 and 1 so that I would get the single block that was in stock by the weekend. This will be my first experience with EK. I've usually tried to stick with Koolance and XSPC.

What good does the backplate do other than looks?

Also, do you really run without any sort of clip on your tubing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I have a UFO Horizontal, so I don't need the rigidity. I use 2 loops, one for the CPU and one for the gpu(s). I'm really tempted to make it into just 1 giant loop when I pull it down to add the 2nd video card block. My 3750k at 4500 isn't really putting out enough heat to need it's own loop. Figure I'm overdue to replace all the tubing anyway.
Thinking front rad > gpu > gpu > pump1 > rear rad > cpu > repeat.

Door bell rang.

Be back after I put 1 in on water.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 8, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Probably a very stupid question but is there a way of knowing which GPU on my laptop is running?

I have an AMD 7730m and an intel HD4000. I just bought Far Cry Bood Dragon (which owns). When I started playing it, it was fine on low settings (crashed a couple of times in the tutorial for some reason), but when I put it up to ultra it lagged a lot. I checked the 'Catalyst control centre' (AMD's switchable graphics interface thing) and it wasn't listed as a recent app so I added the .exe through the browse function but still not luck. The laptop was getting a bit warm so I shut down the game and restarted it a bit later with no changes made in between. It now works fine in ultra but I notice that when I minimise the window the intel HD graphics icon is displayed prominently as if that is being used.

Am I correct in assuming that if it was still using the HD4000 it would have frame rate issues straight away and not just when it got a bit hot?

I assume you just bought a new Dell? Our new 6540 lattitudes have both the Intel 4000 and the AMD 8780M showing up. I'm guessing it is something with the new Haswell boards where it ends up leaving the on board video working even when you have a discreet card. The simplest solution would be to go into the device mangler and just disable the Intel 4000. The 7730m is going to have more grunt if you use the laptop for gaming.

And on that note. PICTURES... blood for the computer god included.

Spinning the tubing off the old video card. BOOM in the face. Computers are hard.
Stalker 1
The Overlord
Naked and waiting
All good too go
Bonus pic of the backside of a 290x and a non x. The only difference is a few stickers.

Water installed.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 8, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm in love with my r9 290. 1440p BF4 Ultra settings, 75FPS pretty much constant.

How is Bf4? I went from being low settings and 40ish fps in MWO to high with the same framerate at 7880x1440.

So far I have the card at 1047/5200. Waiting to see how far I can get before voltage becomes an issue. Running at 46C at full load.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

How bad is the noise with the 290s?

The plain 290 is pretty quiet. It is set to 47% fan speed. Dn't expect to overclock it without it getting a lot louder. So far my 290 is running at 1097 and 5400 with 47C on water.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Fyi, my 290 is running at 1102mhz and 5400 mem with temps never going over 49. The problem right now is voltage. Once I get a voltage controlling overclock program I should be able to go much higher. Thes cards are the bomb on water.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Like I already said. I'm watercooling my 290 and it is literally the same as the 290x. My card is running 1100mhz and 5400memory, the only reason I can't go higher is that there isn't currently a voltage mod yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

It's not literally the same, though, it's got 2560 shader units and 160 texture units compared to 2816 and 176, respectively; not a huge difference, but if, as some who went with the 290x are finding, it turns out to be really radical overclocker that can hit 1200MHz-1300MHz if all necessary conditions are met for cooling, that could be a more significant performance disparity. Probably still within 15%, even if overclocking of both cards is taken into account, and you're saving a lot of dough and likely don't need that additional 15% even at your triple-monitor, >4K resolution, but there are some differences worth considering especially going forward as we find out what AMD's validation process for the Hawaii GPU looks like. If they're binning aggressively to run the 290Xs full-out, then it'll probably be less of an issue than otherwise, and regardless, you've obviously made the smarter choice for multi-monitor gaming considering the price difference jumps half the price of adding another 290 at that point for that maybe-15%-ish performance difference, best case.

It's pretty much dead on analogous to the 670 vs 680. Oh no, a SMX :qq:

Trust me, I have a 290x on my desk. The amount of difference is not worth the 150 dollars. Which is why I bought a 2nd 290 and a 2nd waterblock. The rops and memory bandwidth seem to be the major factor. Where the single line of texture units don't seem to really matter.