Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Alereon posted:

There's a POWER7 CPU (I guess that puts paid to the idea that POWER7 isn't power-efficient enough for consoles)
Searching for "POWER7" turns up nothing in that article though? He does mention the CPU is PowerPC based (so is the Wii's CPU, based on the 750CL apparently) but the 2 aren't the same thing even though they're associated. There is also some new info. that has come to light. If what some of the people in the B3D thread are saying is true than the WiiU's CPU is just a updated version of the Wii's CPU, and not a very good one at that. Its apparently quite a bit slower than the X360's CPU so the WiiU probably won't be able to run some ports from current consoles.

Anyways with a CPU die of only 33mm2 on a 45nm process and a power usage so low that the whole system only uses around 33w when in use its safe to say that even if the CPU isn't just a mildly updated Broadway it still isn't POWER7 based. For reference on the same process POWER7 chewed up 567mm2 of die space and 100w at its slowest speed. Its not a apples to oranges comparison of course. The WiiU's CPU is supposedly a tri core chip while POWER7 was quad core at a minimum, lots of differences in cache too and the bus and the WiiU's CPU supposedly has a clock of 1.29-1.6Ghz while POWER7's slowest available clock was 2.4Ghz.

Joink posted:

What i find surprising is its sold at a small loss given its hardware and price.
The WiiU tablet controller is probably what is causing that. Apparently if you buy 1 game Nintendo more than makes up the loss though so it'll probably still be profitable from day 1 for them. Given the rumors we've been hearing about what the PS4 (glorified Trinity APU of sorts) and X720 (AMD 67xx class GPU + maybe AMD CPU or multi-core ARM variant, or a bit of both + 4-8GB of RAM) I don't think its unreasonable to believe any console manufacturer is going to push the limits financially as much as they did back when the PS3/X360 launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Killer robot posted:

The WiiU is going to be the weakest of its generation, but it should be closer to the GameCube vs. the PS2/Xbox than the Wii vs. PS3/360.
I dunno, the guys in the B3D thread and public comments by developers working on the WiiU seem to suggest that it may actually be a fairly gimped console by next gen standards. Lots of hints have been dropped that not only is the CPU fairly slow for a new console and the RAM amount limited but there is also a dearth of internal bandwidth to play with and can be apparently high latency at that too.

I'm sure it'll still be able to put out games that look significantly better than the current consoles but it might still end up looking significantly worse than what the PS4/X720 will be able to do. If the their new controller approach doesn't take off in a big way a la Wii than the WiiU might not have much market staying power.

They'll probably still make money and definitely break even though so no need for anyone to freak out. I'm not suggesting a "they're doomed" scenario. Even if they did a mediocre/crappy job on the hardware Nintendo has obviously thought things through financially here.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Space Racist posted:

A lot of PS4/Xbox 720 rumors have suggested them using an AMD HD 7000-series GPU, is there any realistic chance of this being a consumer version of that (presumably custom) part?
Nah. Its got a 185W TDP for just the GPU. That is waaaay to high to go into a console. Way, waaaaaay to high.

For some perspective the entire original "power hog" X360 used about 172W and the original PS3 used about 189W. (edit:)The Xenos original GPU used around 90w.

Bear in mind too that the Tahiti LE GPUs are being made on a still very high end modern 28nm process. So even with a revamp and die shrink it'll probably still put out too much (edit) heat and use too much power for use in a console.

That is half the reason why the expected/rumored GPUs for the PS4/X720 are mid-range 6xxx class GPU's. They were very compact in terms of die space and had good performance per watt as well and should be fairly cheap now to produce on a more modern process. 6670-6870 GPU are fairly realistic to expect in a late 2013/early 2014 PS4/X720 console IMO.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 7, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Are they going to at least drop the prices significantly or are they planning on milking everyone for as long as possible? I bet its the latter but gotta make sure right? :/

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
XFX has been having problems with their higher end cards for quite a while. Not quite RRoD levels of failure but apparently it was pretty bad for many. I've had to RMA my 7970 DD Edition 2x. Underclocking does nothing and temps were OK in each case. There was something wrong with the card and I've gotten a new revision each time I got a card back. Can't adjust the voltages or clocks upwards at all on my current revision, not that I was doing that before.

Their support has been good but I probably won't buy from them next time.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

Are we at a point where it's okay to actively discourage people from purchasing AMD cards because their software team is broke as poo poo and, as a result, so are their drivers?
So I haven't used CF this gen (rocked dual 4890's for a long time) but I've been using a single 7970 with various beta/official drivers almost since they came out and there has been almost zero problems. Every other driver update seems to cause some issues with running Firefox and Milkyway at the same time and the previous beta had some issues with games but it was a beta driver and the official driver worked fine after quick un/reinstall so BFD. Not sure what you mean by their drivers being broke for single card configs at least. CF does seem more hit or miss this gen though. Dunno about their software team being broke, they've had a good run of getting their foot in the door with developers on some pretty good games for a while. I do know they don't have the resources that nV's has to get devs to program for their cards' quirks...but that doesn't seem to pan out to be a huge advantage to me despite the hype to me.

The biggest problem for me this time around has been XFX and their lovely QC really.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

The disparity is enormous.
I'm sure it is but the visible effect on gaming isn't. I've played plenty of TWIMTBP games on AMD GPU's without issue. There is stuff like PhysX but very few games use it and I could care less. It'd be as silly as getting worked up over whatever AMD calls their hair sim tech. Which I tried for a few minutes in TR and then turned off since it kept causing my fps to get jerky. Game looked great with out it and played smoothly enough otherwise at 1440p for me.

Agreed posted:

I don't know what you mean by hype.
I've been hearing for years now that nV has great dev relations and such but very little seems to come of it on the desktop or gaming. In the end the devs still target their games for the lowest common denominators and only a few thingamabobs get tacked on (like PhysX) that get hyped to the sky and then fade away shortly after words. Where are the games that not only require a nV card but also look like stupendously badass (like nex-nex gen) with them or run like greased lightning at high res with even old nV cards? A very few games that have some flapping cloth sim or crappy water sim tacked on aren't really cutting that mustard.

Agreed posted:

You describe updating your drivers and it breaking regular, not even enterprise or especially GPU-dependent software like your internet browser. That's pretty, ah, unusual.
Nah gaming on the PC has always had issues and that goes double for beta drivers. You have to expect that stuff, its always a coin flip when running a beta driver/BIOS/whatever. You know that. With the WHQL driver its always been fine. We also seem to have different definitions of breaking or maybe you're abusing it a lil' to call minor artifacting and some in game CTD's that got fixed later on "breaking". If its somethings broke you can't use it at all and for me that is like your PC won't even boot or it BSOD's endlessly etc. That hasn't happened in a loong time to me and it used to happen constantly back in the win98/2k days, god forbid you had a VIA or ULI chipset... I thought stuff like flash was GPU accelerated these days? Java will be at some point too if it isn't already it seems.

Agreed posted:

you remember when they finally unified their driver architecture? Compare that to nVidia who did it ages ago.
So nV gets credit for something they did years ago and AMD doesn't get credit for something they also did years ago? Did nV beat AMD to the punch there? Sure, but come on this is a little silly. Understand I'm not disputing that nV has better drivers over all, just trying to point out that they're not nearly as bad as you were suggesting.

Good luck on the surgury BTW.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

randyest posted:

Is it normal to have to change stock settings to avoid destroying a video card?
Nope. Card manufacturer screwed up most likely. For some reason XFX is pretty failure prone this time around too.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

Edit: If current leaks are true, performance of the 9000s being ~roughly at Titan level (a few FPS here or there depending on AA, games, etc.) is not exciting to me.
Titan performance for 40% less gets a "meh"? Sure $600 is still a lot but its for a halo product at launch. The slightly-less high end and mid range products will probably sell for lots less much like the 7950 vs 7970 this gen. I don't think it'll be 4xxx level of prices all over again but we should see some decent prices for some fairly powerful hardware. What would be exciting for you? Making PC gaming development more console-ish somehow? I'm not sure how MS could pull that off. Make a whole new version of "windows for games OS" and have it load/unload when needed and just run everything through a hypervisor? That is probably a stupid idea but what else would work?

VDay posted:

What does one have to do with the other?
The reasoning I've seen is this gen's consoles don't have the massive performance boost over their predecessor's that the X360/PS3 had over the Xbox/PS2. Xb1/PS4 are both supposed to be around 6-8x faster then their predecessors. Sony and MS didn't push the hardware limits anywhere near as hard as they did last time which is why Xb1 is supposed to be profitable on day 1 for the hardware alone and PS4 is supposed to make money after 1 or 2 game sales.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

It's specious as all hell to talk about "Titan performance" - everyone who pays attention to this stuff knows that really it's the GTX 780 it's going up against
Did AMD gimp GPGPU performance in Hawaii though? I haven't seen anything that suggest they have. GPGPU might not be too important right now, I'd put it up there with Physx at the moment, but its got a lot of potential.

Agreed posted:

And yeah, making PC game development "more console-ish" would be pretty neat, if by that you mean addressing the problem of moving workloads around coherently. As to how to do it, let's wait and see, yeah?
Only big development in hardware that maybe applies here for a while is going to be AMD hUMA I think. What is MS supposed to be doing for DX12?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

The Lord Bude posted:

I also suspect that the 780ti will blow it out of the water, although I'm dissapointed Nvidia isn't going with 6gb of ram.
780Ti= "Titan Lite". Probably about as fast as the R9 290X for as much as or more than the current 780. Only way I can see paying the extra money for it over the R9 290X is if you have poor case ventilation and/or really hate the noise the "uber mode" fan puts out.

For $549 R9 290X looks like a solid win for AMD but R9 290 might end up being this gens' 7950 for best bang vs buck. That ~$400 price point needs filling somehow...

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 24, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

zylche posted:

The thermal limit of my CPU is ~63C, gently caress if I'm letting the R9 290X near it.
Are you serious or trolling me? I cannot tell. If you're serious I'd point out its not unusual for current GPU's to get into the 80's under load but no one is having issues with them killing their CPU's due to excessive heat.

The Lord Bude posted:

A non reference overclocked gtx780 will comfortably outperform a titan though, I'm expecting the 780TI will outperform the titan as well.
You have to get high (1.1-1.2Ghz) "clocks" and overvolt a 780GTX to do that though, short of getting a "golden card" that is. I guess if they started heavily binning parts nV could release a GPU like that but it might end up even more niche and more expensive that I had originally thought.

e: Blowers are better for moving air in instances where you have high back pressure. In this case the heatsink on these modern GPU's tend to be high fin density and have heat pipes running through the middle of them on top of that. The space for fans also tends to be pretty limited around the GPU in most cases too. Short of going to something wacky like a stacked contrarotating axial fan assembly a blower is the way to go. Though I guess if you're willing to put up with a 3 slot width video card and multiple big axial fans that can work too. e2: I don't think the problem is the fan with the reference R9 290X video cards, IMO its probably the heatsink itself.\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 24, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Tab8715 posted:

Welp, that was a fun launch day? No cards are to be found at all anywhere. :smith:
You could almost watch them go out of stock at newegg by refreshing the page earlier this morning.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Rahu X posted:

The 290 seems like a better card outright, but if you factor in overclocking, the 780 seems like it would pull ahead.
So scroll to 8:10 for the numbers but these guys compared a OC'd 780 (an "average" OC'er, not a top clocker) vs a OC'd R9 290 (reference cooler). It works out that you'll end up paying $100 extra for a 1fps advantage @ 1440p resolution if you buy the 780GTX over the R9 290.

No benches at 4K, but the 290 will probably eke out a win at that resolution.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
edit:/\/\/\/\/\Don't know of a site with those numbers up yet but generally 2x 760's will be around 10% faster on average than a Titan @ 1600p resolution. If you're willing to deal with SLI's quirks, and your PSU will be OK with it, a 2nd 760 would probably be the best bang for the buck option for you.

Rahu X posted:

While I'm not too keen on having a 3 slot card, I can't argue with the pressure. :sweatdrop:
Heheh I know you'll be happy with either card so don't let the pressure get to you too much. Personally while I'm really impressed with what AMD has pulled off performance + price-wise with the R9 290 I'm actually really interested in the TrueAudio aspect of these new cards.

I know it needs game support (so many games won't benefit at all) but the idea of getting positional audio that is the next best thing to true binaural audio in game, especially a game like Thief, has me excited.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 5, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Supposedly at stock (according to hardocp and techreport) the fan isn't that bad at all though. Its if you raise the fan cap to 60%+ is when it starts to get loud.

Brent Justice hardocp reviewer posted:

The 290 at 47% fan speed wasn't loud. The fans on these cards really don't become loud until around 60-65%. At 47% the card was not throttling, so the full performance potential was there.
I gamed with this thing right beside my head, didn't bother me

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I had wanted to ask this earlier, this was the driver that AMD extended the 290's NDA for a week for, right? I'm wondering if it's out for public release in case I missed it.

hardocp posted:

For the AMD Radeon R9 290 we are using AMD supplied driver Catalyst 13.11 Beta V8. This is the second driver provided to us by AMD for the R9 290 launch review. This new driver improved performance over the Beta V6 driver by tweaking PowerTune and raising the fan speed profile to a new default of 47% over the previous default of 40%.
Looks like the driver just changed clocks, power, and fan settings but didn't do any super duper secret game specific optimizations.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 5, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

GrizzlyCow posted:

If you want to use Mantle, you'll have to have a GCN 1.x card.
Supposedly Hawaii is GCN 2.0 and Bonaire was GCN 1.x but none of that "GCN 2.0, 1.x, blabla" is official branding.

I don't think AMD has said officially how long they plan on supporting Mantle but if history repeats itself a la their VLIW GPU's they probably have another 2-3 yr of GCN iterations in the works at a minimum. Possibly longer if you consider how the foundries have slowed releasing new processes plus how those new processes don't have the same level of advantages as previous years shrinks.

AMD and nV both will be forced to put more work into designing their GPUs since now they can't rely on a die shrink in 6-8 months giving them another 30%+ performance with the same uarch like the "old days".

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I'd be surprised if they used the reference cooler on a card like that. Anything less than a very good double slot HSF a la the Accelero would be idiotic, especially after all the complaints on enthusiast forums about the reference cooler. IMO if they're going to do it right they should release a 3 slot HSF for a card like that. Done properly they could get rid of 300w+ of heat with a HSF like that without much if any noise and still keep the clock speed up.

Avg. Joe Sixpacks will laugh but people actually interested in buying a CF-on-a-stick video cards won't really care too much.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 15, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Ghostpilot posted:

the thermal pads on the vrms leave an oily residue that is best removed with a gentle rubbing with a pencil eraser.
There'll still be some left with the eraser technique no matter how much you scrub. What works best for removing the residue is Xylene or Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone. You can get either at Home Depot in the paint stripper section. Some types of Goof-Off have Xylene in it as well but read the label first. Both are nasty as gently caress though so clean off the necessary chips out side and wear gloves because those solvents can go right through your skin.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

"why did they choose to engineer the Volcanic Islands architecture in this fashion even though it is going in the exact opposite direction of not only nVidia, but also literally everyone else, including their own CPU division?"...but that's not going to happen with the relatively much poorer performance per watt compared to Kepler
Probably because its only ~50w more over the 780GTX, the people/market (ie. gamers, these aren't Firestream Hawaii cards) interested in these cards care more about performance bang vs buck, and TSMC/GF/<insert non-Intel foundry of choice> don't have much in the way of process improvements to offer now or anytime soon. Slap a better cooler on a 290 or 290X and it drops to 20-30w more power vs a 780GTX. The power issue is over blown and mostly FUD at this point. If they did their job properly on designing the card even the temp issue is over blown and FUD. Noise can definitely be a problem for some though. They definitely should've done a better job on the reference cooler any way you look at it.

The rumor mill is still saying mid-late 2014 for TSMC's 20nm chips to roll off the line and that the improvements over their 28nm process won't be all that impressive. At least initially. They've improved their 28nm process over time, I'm sure they'll do the same with their 20nm tech. Thing is I don't see them doing much of it in a timely manner before their next process is supposed to be ready...unless they're going to delay that too.

That would make a 28nm Maxwell reasonable to do for nvidia, but it'd probably also be a relatively hot and power hungry chip vs Kepler on that process.

The HPC Hawaii cards are going to have ungimped compute DP performance which is something that GCN is pretty good at. The performance/watt probably won't be "poor" at all vs. Kepler for those work loads. Power usage hasn't been the issue with AMD getting the HPC guys to use their hardware anyways, its software and developer support.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

I think we might be at risk of talking past each other a bit....I am interested in what makes you think that Maxwell will necessarily be hotter running than Kepler if it's launched on the 28nm process....why would explicitly engineering toward more efficiency and integrating a CPU on the card itself to operate more effectively in terms of overall system resource utilization make it hot at 28nm but not at 20nm?...Aren't we pretty much allowing that a node shrink alone, at this point, doesn't offer the sort of really impressive efficiency boosts that it used to, especially one that isn't introducing anything especially radical?
Most of what I was responding to was your comments about Hawaii having "poor" performance per watt vs Kepler. Which I would disagree with. Its definitely not quite as good but it also isn't poor either.

Unless nvidia has managed some significant break through(s) in transistor + uarch design (unlikely, I think the low hanging fruit is pretty much gone which is why you're seeing AMD/nvidia push stuff like Mantle, TrueAudio, memory virtualization, ARM cores, etc.) they're going to have to use lots more transistors to get close to the typical performance increases (ie. 30%+) that people have come to expect for a new GPU. Lots more transistors on the same process with similar clocks = more heat/power usage. Heck even if they just do a similar number of transistors but bump the clocks quite a bit and go for a "speed demon" design power usage will shoot up. If it turns out Maxwell is just current Kepler + ARM CPU + memory virtualization than I'd be wrong about the power shooting up by quite a bit but you're also not going to see a large performance increase either.

I don't think, given the rumors, that TSMC's 20nm will be anything special either. But I'd be surprised if that sort of die shrink didn't also knock power usage down to somewhere closer to where Kepler is right now which most people seem to consider "normal" for a high end GPU. I'd be assuming of course that nvidia would be aiming to leave transistors/clocks the same and just do a "simple" shrink. They may not, in which case 20nm Maxwell may still end up having higher power usage and end up "hot" but with more performance.

It might not be a "bad" trade off and even if it was nvidia might do it anyways so long as the GPU/card price is right and the card isn't too noisy. I'm sure they've been watching with interest what AMD has been able to pull off and sell with Hawaii.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

lethial posted:

If you are trying to build a compact gaming PC, excess power and heat is a big issue.
Sure but that will be true with any high end GPU right now. They all use 200w+ of power and have dual slot coolers. That situation probably won't change with anything top end from nvidia or AMD for years.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

what's your rumor mill source, by the way?...I genuinely doubt their word when they say that they were aiming at a 95ºC temperature target all along
I've watched a number of sites for rumors/info. over the years, some of the best ones are gone now (ie. Aces *sniff*) unfortunately. RWT and B3D are my main go to for GPU/CPU info/leaks. Interesting stuff still occasionally pops up from time to time on some investor boards I look at, usenet (still!), TechReport, Anandtech, WCFtech, vrzone, and [H]. Its nothing like the "old" days (ie. 2003 and prior), people are fairly tight lipped now that NDA's are being enforced seriously. Hawaii originally designed for 20nm makes a lot of sense to me too. AMD must've had a 28nm version in the works the whole time though as a "Plan B" if it looked like TSMC couldn't deliver on time. A 28nm "Plan B" Hawaii designed to run hot is believable and the HSF situation would make sense if they hadn't seriously planned to ship a 28nm Hawaii until very recently. Perhaps they wanted to get something out for the holidays and weren't sure if a redesigned HSF would make it in time too?

That is all guess work though.

While their reference cooler could've been lots better I think the throttling issue is over blown too. There are lots of people who actually own the card, and some reviewers, who've reported little or no issues with throttling with the default fan cap on the 290 or uber mode on the 290X. Most of the complaints about the heat/power/throttling issue seems to be coming from people who don't even own the card.

lethial posted:

My system has a GTX780, and I could actually fit a GTX 780 ti if I change my main HDD into a green drive
If you could run a 780Ti you could run a 290 or 290X in that case. At least as far as dealing with the heat/power usage go. If you hate the noise the AMD reference HSF makes and either can't fit a aftermarket HSF in your case or simply don't want to deal with mounting one then fair enough. They can't please everyone.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 22, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

I don't think anyone buys the "people are used to cards running cool, but really they should run hot! As hot as possible!" bullshit...nVidia is being hilariously prickish about it...kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down
I'd read their comments as "if you reduce temp you gotta reduce voltage and clock speed which hurts performance". I could be totally misunderstanding them though. Or maybe it was their PR sucking as usual. Either which way they gave nvidia a easy opening to lob PR bombs and just confused a lot of people.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah a better HSF addresses all the complaints quite nicely. What I wonder about now is how AMD is going to deal with Maxwell assuming nvidia does a have a 28nm version out by March or so 2014.

Unless they do a new amazing HSF a up clocked 290/X is probably out of the cards. A $300-350 R9 290 or $400-450 290X would be a pretty nice option though!:pray:

Or nvidia could just decide to compete on brand again and sell a 880GTX, or whatever they'll call it, for $rape$ and AMD might just decide that their prices/performance are fine where they currently sit thank-you-very-much. That would be...boring. :(

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 22, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

KillHour posted:

If you had shown me that screenshot a year ago, I would have called you a liar.
Fixed cuz' you were right the 1st time.:colbert:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

I don't think they even officially support the 5000-series cards anymore, do they?
They do, last update for them was in September. Driver updates aren't done often for older GPU's, because according to AMD, most of the performance has been wrung out of their older VLIW based GPU's. Updates are still done to improve stability or bug fixes or to support new OS like Win8. For the 4xxx, 3xxx, and 2xxx cards they have a "legacy" driver which was last updated on 10/13/2013.

Their driver support has actually been pretty good for a while now. For single cards you've got nothing to worry about. Its just very different from how Nvidia does things. They do WHQL's "as necessary" for the office guys and for the :pcgaming: gamerz :pcgaming: they do betas frequently. Usually every month there is a new one. Doing the whole CCleaner/Driver cleaner bit isn't necessary either most of the time. Only if you have issues after installing a new driver. Personally I've just been installing over the old ones for quite a while now. Haven't had a problem.

CF is a different story but even that has improved quite a bit too.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 22, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Litecoin miners are going absolutely apeshit.

Supposedly that guy is bringing in upwards of $20K a month and has been for at least a few months, for as long as the boom lasts anyways. With that sort of income he'll have made his money back in 1-2 months easy.

The AMD cards are better for mining than the nvidia cards due to better DP compute performance. The cards based on older 79xx GPU's have better bang for the buck than the new R9 290/X's because AMD gimped DP performance with their new GPU's this time around*. Or at least they did until miners pumped the prices of the cards up into the $300-400 range for a card that would normally sell for $250 or so.

*Which is irritating. Hawaii could've been a real DP monster if they hadn't done that. I don't care too much about mining but I do like to participate in distributed computing projects like Milkway. As things are now a R9 290X is only about as good at DP compute as a 7970GE.

edit: wouldn't be so sure about that. Their inherent advantage at DP compute work loads means that 79xx cards may end up being kept and used on other mining projects for a long time.\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Byolante posted:

If they really care about DP compute stuff, why aren't they buying Teslas or something?
Because they have lovely bang for the buck vs. "cheap" 79xx cards. Tesla/Firestream only makes sense for serious HPC work where the buyer is willing to shell out extra cash for more reliability because stuff has to work or else they end up losing huge amounts of cash in down time or re-running things to check for errors.

spasticColon posted:

Is this guy actually mining coins or is he buying the cards on the cheap and then reselling them to batshit insane coin miners?
He is mining them. That pic is supposedly from April.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

tjume posted:

Hi, I'll be switching from a 6870 to a 280x,
Uninstall old drivers> turn off pc and install new card> reboot and reinstall latest drivers

Should work fine after that.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
They're very different GPU's though. The 68xx was VLIW5 and the 280X is GCN 1.x.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Unless you're using software that needs a Quadro or FirePro I don't think you'd want a laptop that used either for gaming.

Those are workstation GPU's and their drivers are "tuned" for stuff like CAD and not gaming.

AMD mobile GPU's have good performance and as far as driver stability are fine but they tend to be power hogs compared to the Nvidia GPU's. AMD really needs to work the bugs out Enduro which have persisted for quite a while now. Until they do a gaming oriented Nvidia GPU would be best to get over all.

Only get a laptop with a AMD GPU if its an APU (power saving works fine with those) or if you can get a good deal on it and can live with much less battery time. Generally speaking though any gaming laptop with a mid to high end dGPU is going to have generally poor battery time compared to one with only a iGPU.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Spug posted:

"Good deal" doesn't really factor in, as my workplace is paying
Ewps. Yea get whatever floats your boat then!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SourKraut posted:

the prices of almost all of the 7970s are now $500-600 on Newegg.
The R9 280X is still available for a moderate premium over MSRP from other stores. Though they're having supply issues too.

Newegg really isn't the best place to get deals on stuff now. They still have some of the best parts selection and description (ie. pics, specs) though so I still browse that site often but will buy elsewhere.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

That is far from universal, and checking any of the HPC performance lists shows that the real contenders for perf:watt are nVidia with massively parallel Tesla systems and lately Intel with their Xeon Phi cards.
My understanding is that even for HPC workloads AMD should be on par or better than nVidia but nVidia has got CUDA + great support for quite a while now while AMD is still playing catch up there so nVidia still tends to get most of the big wins. Dunno much about Xeon Phi though.

I still cannot loving believe these miners:

108 goddamn R9 290's. That guy probably singlehandedly emptied newegg's or amazon's stock of that card. Prices do seem to have leveled off though so maybe the miner boom is dying down.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 14, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
HT had some limited success outside of AMD CPU's though. There were some pretty badass FPGA's that fit right into a Operton socket years ago. AMD also had a HT based slot for a while too though I don't think there were too many products made for it in mind. Might've ended being used for some of their larger systems that they teamed up with Cray to build.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
You'd have to ask XFX what the max temp rating for the VRM is supposed to be on their card but generally yea 100C is pushing the limit for most electronics.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Agreed posted:

AMD owners, how are they doing lately? Do they have a single driver out yet or are they still running multiple branches?
The rule of thumb with AMD is: If you're in a office/Real Serious Computing environment= latest (IOW old as hell) WHQL.
If you're a gamer= latest beta.

Some 290 owners had trouble with the 14.1's but generally they've been working fine otherwise.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

spasticColon posted:

But is crossfire still a wash on AMD cards?
Frame pacing has helped lots for the 7xxx cards but the situation still isn't all that great unfortunately and there are still caveats IIRC (ie. keep resolution at or below 1600p, no windowed games, etc.). For the R9 29x cards CF seems to be pretty solid and if not as good as nV's SLI is at least nearly as good. Guru3d does some good benches and compares to the 2 multi card solutions and for a while now their results boil down to, 'yea they're fast, no we can't see a difference between the 2, here are some charts bla bla'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

cisco privilege posted:

but they're still (subjectively) very noticeable at 40%-50% and incredibly noisy at 100%.
Unless you're OC'ing or your house ambient temp is high the fan will never hit 100% where it indeed does sound quite loud. Typically it hovers around 40-60% which can be noticeable but isn't bad. Unless you're sensitive to noise most of the comments about the reference R9 290 HSF are overblown vs. IRL experience.