Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
AMD is driving so hard towards a value card that meets minimum specifications for VR in this presentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
"This is a season for DOOM"

yeah, for your company bro.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

pctD posted:

Was it just me or did the graphics settings look different in those side by side comparisons. The AMD side looked like it had some settings lower.

yeah, it looked like poo poo comparatively.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

NihilismNow posted:

What would you consider it as then? High end?
Pretty sure $500 is not entry level.

It's one step down from top end so, yeah, high end. Duh.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Mine shipped from Keasbey but I'm on the east coast. Arriving today, so excited :getin:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo the new Pascal cards are huge. Got my 1070 today and it fits but just barely.

Running great, super quiet compared to my 970 which had a bad case of coil whine.

Time to overclock it! :getin:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

what 970 did you have? So far it looks like they're all about the same size as before except for ones specifically made small, but I can see going from one brand to another being startling.

it's a zotac, not sure which one exactly - I got it in exchange for RMAing a 770 (great deal for me, I happily put up with the coil whine).

new MSI 1070 overclocked great: +150 core, +700 mem, turning furmark into heat and fps with no issues.

The other notable difference - others have mentioned - is the fans stopping completely until the card starts to heat up.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

is it the same system as the latest generation Shield Pro uses to upscale 4K? That is admittedly a pretty good system from what little I've seen, when it works at least.

Yeah, it over-sharpens some things (that maybe already have some sharpening applied via streaming compression tactics???) and is sort of getting long in the tooth in general but it works pretty well.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Run the 4090 on a PC in a room where you don't have to hear it, and use the Arc to decode it in another room.

it's quieter than the 3080 I had before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Building a desktop for the first time and I got a really general question about graphics cards. With multiple displays, is "bottlenecking" a concern? Like if my main display is 4K with HDMI 2.1 support, and I'm also outputting to like an older 1080p monitor, would the main display be limited to SDR or anything like that?

There are some limitations but they're typically pretty generous for even high end use cases, the 4070 for example:

- 4K at 240Hz or 8K at 60Hz with DSC
- up to 4

and the fine print on "up to 4" says:

- 4 independent displays at 4K 120Hz using DP or HDMI
- 2 independent displays at 4K 240Hz or 8K 60Hz with DSC using DP or HDMI
- Other display configurations may be possible based on available bandwidth