Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I got SLI 680's when they first came out and now I wish I waited a few months for the 780ti's. Those look awesome, faster than a Titan for $300 less? gently caress yeah!

But of course, if you wait a few months again there'll be 880's.

There's always something coming "soon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

You know what's weird? The game that pushes my system the most is Kerbal Space Program. 50 mods + 8k texture mod + playing at 3264x1836p... My SLI 680's really could do with more than 2 gigs of memory.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

jink posted:

I tell ya; these won't stick without heat. I set the heatsinks up on the chips and then applied heat via blow dryer for a few minutes. I then pushed the heatsinks into the chips and let them cool. They aren't budging now.

The cheap tape and pads are the worst. I have a pair of cheap copper heatsinks I was using previously, terrible stuff.

Man GPU waterblocks can look badass in a rig.

Too bad I'm worried about leaks plus having to top the fluid up and other such problems/hassle with looped water cooling. I have an H100 on my 5ghz 2500k and it's wonderful, truly install and forget. I'd love to have an H80 made for GPU's.

Does anyone know if that is a thing that exists?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

KillHour posted:

I spent some time looking at new benchmarks/demos, and stumbled across this.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=61211

:drat:

Does anyone have a system that can run this at 1080@30? My 670 gets as low as 4-5 FPS in some parts.

This hard locked my PC :( Wasn't even taxing my gpu much either which is strange.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm really thinking about upgrading my 680, and it's nuts that I'm seeing 970's that are within 5 fps of a god drat 980!

EVGA FTW ACX 2.0 - Boost Clock: 1367MHz ($515)
Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP Extreme Edition - Boost Clock: 1355MHz ($515)

Reference 980 ($726)

*I converted the prices from Pounds into Dollars

The Gigabyte 780Ti GHz Edition looks very tempting too. ($613)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Are the MSI 970's still having trouble with labels on their fans, or whatever that problem was?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone have a comprehensive write up on the pros and cons of sli versus single card? I keep hearing contradictory things about sli from everyone, some people think its amazing, others think its trash. Some people say you will get the highest fps with sli but the most inconsistent frame rate as well. I just don't know who to listen to or what to believe.

I've used SLI and it boils down to 2 things, has Nvidia released an SLI profile for the game you like or not. Even today there's some multi year old games that don't have an SLI profile. I don't believe Minecraft has one, and the 150 mods mod pack + shaders makes gives my SLI 2GB 680 a bit of a work out. If you're playing a game that only uses 1 GPU, you miiight be able to switch the 2nd GPU from "more fps mode" to "use second card for the AA rendering" so you'll have the same fps as a single card, but upto 32xqCSAA.

The second thing is it does not increase the GPU's RAM. two 2 GB cards still only has 2 GB, which if you're using SLI to push for 2k or 4k gaming, is going to be an issue.

[edit] I've never noticed this "sli stutter" thing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I just updated from 331.x to 344.x and not only did I lose my custom resolution of 3264x1836 but after reentering the same settings, it wouldn't past the test, so I had to rollback an hour and luckily my custom res was back.

Nvidia's DSR looks good on paper but I hear it can make the screen blurry, where as using a custom res does the same thing with out making it blurry.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

What's DSR like vs regular custom resolution downsampling?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Richard M Nixon posted:

I thought worrying about card size was for pussies with micro itx cases and the like. Certainly not my hefty fractal define r3. Welp. My gigabyte 970 is about 5 mm too long. gently caress this gay earth. My options are now 1) trade in the card, 2) buy a new case, or 3) buy a dremel and remove part of the left side of the hdd caddy. I'm leaning towards 3.

That's weird, the R3's specs say max gpu length is 290mm, while a GTX 980 is only 270mm?

[edit] Sorry, the 270mm is for reference 980, I don't know how long the Gigabyte ones are.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

That is one long bloody graphics card.

A good excuse as any to buy an obsidian 900D, 500mm of gpu space! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XPxLD0GNI

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 10, 2014

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Visually, the msi 970 gaming 4g looks amazing, but with pretty much every good looking GPU they get installed arse end up so your cool tower window has a view of the back of the GPU with it's boring ugly circuit board. At least some have a back plate.

GPU companies, please start making GPU's upside down, thanks.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

peak debt posted:

We should go back to AGP to make our setups look cooler again.

I'm just gonna turn my tower upside down.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

beejay posted:

Again I have to ask, what does a backplate do to help these EVGA cards?

If you're talking about the issue of the heatsink only covering part of the chip, then absolutely nothing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Kornjaca posted:

As of today I am getting insanely loud coil whine noise from my G1970gtx. Don't know exactly why, but it is present. Any idea of how to remove it would be much appreciated (I'm dreaming I know, just don't want to rma the card).

e: fixed it with Nvidia Inspector...

How, just in case anyone else might need to know.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

6GB? I hear people can run it fine with 3GB.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

El Scotch posted:

Because I'm a fool, I bought a pair of these to run in SLI. Interestingly, *if* the picture on MSI's site is correct, then there's a strong possibility it is using the 980 PCB. I'll find out when I open it up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't 970's literally 980's with some shaders turned off etc?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

They're separate. Just increase, test, rinse repeat. Google for standard overclock ranges to get an idea where to start.

People say to start low and slowly go up in OC, but I say whack that bitch up to what ever you want to run at, and if it isn't stable, throw the card down the stairs and then RMA and hope to do better next time on the silicon lottery. :v:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Swartz posted:

Looks like new Nvidia drivers were just released.

Still no MFAA, but they added DSR support to Kepler and Fermi cards.

DSR sounds good, but I hear it can make it blurry, what can it do that we can't already do with the custom resolution option on the nvidia control panel? (I've set mine to 3264x1836, with no blur)

Funny enough, I was lucky to do a restore point because when I updated to the one before 344.48, it removed my 3264x1836 ability.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Basticle posted:

What the heck case is that?

I donno but it looks like the entire PC can fit inside my case, but I do love the idea of it's motherboard laying flat. It goes with what I was saying about GPU's looking awesome, but all I ever see is the PCB board.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Step 1) Buy 970's and 980's
Step 2) Sell on ebay for 25% profit
Step 3) Be Evil and rich?

Seriously is there like, a single old lady in the entire factory making these things?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I like special unique cards. You had the GTX 560, then the awesome (at the time) 560 ti, but there was also a sweet 560 ti 448 core version that was on par with the 570. I wonder if they're gonna do something like that again.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Toad King posted:

My ASUS 970 arrived today and is running great. The only issue is on my three monitor setup the GPU clock never drops below 899 Mhz, so I'm sitting around 60C idle temps. Under load it still never seems to jump above 70 though. When I disable one of my monitors the GPU clock drops down to sub 200 Mhz and the idle temps drop too. Should I be concerned?

It seems to be a problem with multi monitors that causes the cards not to go into "idle" state.

There's a button in Nvidia Inspector, the "Multi Display Power Saver" that lets multiple monitors enter the idle state.

Here's mine.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

wolrah posted:

That just took me from ~900 MHz idle down to fluctuating in the 135-405 range and dropped my average temperature by around 8 C. This should probably be in the OP.

Should probably be in the Nvidia Control Panel :v: Honestly there shouldn't even be a need for Nvidia Inspector.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

movax posted:

So I've belatedly realized the reason I can't upgrade my GeForce GTX 670 drivers properly is because NV dropped support for the GeForce 210, which I've got in my machine purely to run a 3rd display (P67 chipset :negative:). Any suggestions on a new card to replace that guy? I only need it to run a monitor well enough for web browsing (and even then, not really with Flash) since I can run 2 from my 670, anyone used those USB 3.0 display adapters? (NEC USB 3.0 but hopefully it would play nice).

Also coil whine is quite possibly the most infuriating thing that consumer electronics can do. It's sloppy engineering and/or cost cutting and its the loving worst.

Can't a single GTX 670 do something like 4 displays on it's own?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Cerri posted:

(holding out on replacing the i5-2500k till Skylake drops).

I find it funny how games like AC: Black Flag only uses a single core of a cpu. (and ignores sli due to no profile yet) My 2500k gets better single core speeds than most newer cpu's as they're going towards many low speed cores rather than a few fast cores.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

How do you figure? Both Ivy Bridge and Haswell have had higher instructions per clock, and shipped at higher clocks. Sandy overclocked better than Ivy, but Haswell with a moderate overclock is definitely faster than a Sandy Bridge with a huge overclock.

It's just that the improvements have been a couple percent, and not worth dropping hundreds of dollars to upgrade. Newer Intel CPUs have had the same number of cores and higher single core speed than a 2500K though.

I get a single core score of 1.92 on Cinebench 11.5. On games (especially bad console ports) that only use 1 core, or even 2 cores, it's really good.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Oh god! Zotac GeForce GTX 780Ti OC "GHz Edition" for £290. ($460) 780ti's normally sell for £500 ($790)

Would it be crazy to sell my 2x 680 for one of those. (the 780ti also comes with either a free Far Cry 4 or AC Unity.)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Could any card do that with custom fan profiles?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

2500k's aren't slouches and most games aren't cpu bottlenecked.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2013/-20-Crysis-II,3175.html

Do a search for 2500k to find yours, (118 fps) vs the very top of the chart (122 fps)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I've tried downloading 3Dmark from both their website and through steam, and both times it's hard locked my PC. I couldn't even do ctrlaltdel.
Is this a known issue?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Screw ya'all with your not crashing Firestrike. :(

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm amused that by the time the GTX 1080 rolls around, we'll all be using 4k's.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

The extra gig of memory probably helps quite a bit at higher res, or games like Fallout/Oblivion that has 4k texture mods.
The 970 also has new stuff other than raw fps, such as VXGI and MFAA.

165w vs 250w is also nice if you're counting pennies on your electricity bill but honestly in the UK I think the average is £0.10p per kilowatt per hour, so a 780ti is only 2.5 pence per hour to run?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Isn't the Zotec, the extreme OC version, limited in power at the bios level so much that ref designs get better OC's? :v:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I dunno but I do know regular custom monitor resolutions (that's been around for years) probably can. It doesn't have the blurriness of DSR either.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I like how the cooling pipes come out the front and enter the cooling box, completely covering where my power button would be. :v:

However, I do like the idea of a closed loop water cooled GPU. If it's anything like my H100i, that would own. Toolless. Maintenanceless. Silent.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

[edit] ^ Nvidia's Adaptive V-Sync auto turns it off if you're below 60 fps.

Isn't frame limiting already a feature on Afterburner?

Also who really cares if your GPU costs 0.02c more per hour to run?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 18, 2014

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Ozz81 posted:

Hell, I bought a 465 years ago since at the time it was sub $200 and had pretty great performance for a midrange card. I almost crapped myself when I decided to go SLI and noticed the primary card was hitting mid 60s in temperature...running Photoshop. I can't imagine having one or more of the 470-480 cards with how hot they got and the amount of power they used under load...

I can't find it right now but I once saw a video with the title "man turns quad sli 480 pc on" and when you click it, it's that one scene from Terminator 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

So from what I can gather, AMD is going for shear power while Nvidia is going more for max efficiency? Which then allows Nvidia to power up even more if the situation calls for it? Right?

So AMD is Vegeta and Nvidia is Goku right after the hyperbolic time chamber?