Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looks like EVGA is recalling some GTX 670s:

http://hardocp.com/news/2012/05/16/evga_minirecall_on_gtx_670

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

4 Day Weekend posted:

Just to clarify, they need the same model (ie GF110) only? Memory/clock speed doesn't affect compatibility?

Yes but if you use two cards with different clock speed/amount of memory then the faster card will work like the slower one, extra memory will remain unused and clock speeds will be lowered to match the slower card.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

movax posted:

Oops, I've been wrong too then. To the OP with that!

That must've been where I got it from, totally not my fault. :ninja:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Factory Factory posted:

Holy poop on a stick. Nvidia announced Tesla hardware based on GK104 and GK110.

Full details aren't out yet, but it looks like the full GK110 die is based on 2880 Kepler CUDA cores (1440 Fermi equivalent) in 15 SMXs, eight times the number of FP64-enabled cores per SMX vs. GK104, triple the L2 cache vs. GK104, 32-thread symmetric multithreading at the card level (Hyper-Q, like hyperthreading on Intel processors), the ability for GPU threads to spawn additional GPU threads without CPU intervention, a 384-bit memory bus, and 7.1 billion loving transisters per chip.

It's passively cooled too, looks like a good choice for a HTPC.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Factory Factory posted:

Plus I'm sure we'll get the same stilted and/or recycled motion capture we always do. Why can't more games use Euphoria?

I'd like to see more Euphoria and PhysX stuff too, but I think the reason we're not getting it is because it can't be seen in screenshots, while stuff like a higher poly count and whatever shaders do can.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Kramjacks posted:

These screen shots would probably look much better if they weren't so compressed.

Try these: http://imgur.com/a/Ls1Zy

Now, am I crazy or does the texture on the collar of the fire dude in the third pic look kinda blurry? I hope it's just cause it's a screengrab from a video or something.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does anyone have any opinions on 'Galaxy' as a brand? They offer a card here in europe, under the 'kfa2' name, that is pretty similar to the Asus D2CU Top except in that it is actually in stock at some vendors. It looks pretty good in that one review I was able to find:

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/22686-test-3x-nvidia-geforce-gtx-670.html?start=5

That's power draw, temperature and noise respectively.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Ervin K posted:

I have a question on the relationship between the CPU and GPU. Is there some kind of a performance ratio that we have to maintain between the video card and the processor? What would happen if you paired an old Core 2 Duo processor with a GTX 690?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on building a PC with a 3570k (that I plan on overclocking) and a factory overclocked GTX 670, and in the future possibly add a second 670. I want to know if this will cause some kind of bottle-necking to occur or something like that.

Edit: I will be gaming and doing 3d stuff on this computer

From what I understand, you have to have a pretty huge gap between GPU/CPU to have one bottleneck the other, I don't think you're gonna run into this problem with your specific setup since both of those components were at pretty much the same time and are similar in performance (both are enthusiast products).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way to check if my videocard is broken? I bought a GTX 670 yesterday and it crashes when, I guess, the load gets too heavy, namely when I try playing Crysis in max settings and also when running the Unigine Heaven Benchmark at max settings. The screen goes dark and all my fans start spinning at max RPM, I have to restart the computer and get a message that I got a BSOD with the BCCode 116. It seems to happen once the cards temperatures are around 70°c, that temperature is not too high I think but I don't know what else to look out for.

The card is a GTX 670 OC by Gigabyte.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Yea I'm gonna return it I think, even if I get it stable by underclocking it, I don't think that's really an acceptable solution.

One weird thing I noticed, checking the card with HWINFO64, the "GPU Geometry Clock" speed, which I assume is the core clock, goes up to 1175.8 Mhz under load, but on the Gigabyte website it says the card boosts to 1058 Mhz. I'm wondering if that could be the reason for my crashes or if that's just a wrong reading from HWiNFO.

Gonna do some more benchmarks now that I've underclocked it to the 1058 Mhz from the Gigabyte website.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Belan posted:

You shouldn't have to underclock it, the extra boost you see is called "Kepler boost" that gets added on top of the normal boost clock.

The amount of kepler boost changes from card to card which is probably why a lot of overclocked cards seem to be crashy.

More here http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

6XX overclocking got very silly with all the boosts and temperature throttle points.

drat, here I thought my problems were kinda solved, guess I'll just exchange the card, roll the dice again. Thanks for the advice guys!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Little update on my GTX 670, they tested it at the store and of course it's working fine there, so I'm wondering, did they maybe just not put enough load on it or is there something else on my end that could be causing my problems?

I get BSODs when I do really graphics intensive stuff (Crysis in max settings, Uningine Benchmark), unless I manually downclock the card. Could my Motherboard or PSU be to blame here (Asus P8Z77 and XFX 750w, both a month old) or could it be a driver issue (using the latest beta drivers)?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

greatapoc posted:

I'm not adverse to overclocking either so if there's something lower that will work better I'm fine with that too as long as it's good at 2560x1440.

I'm using a GTX670 at 2560x1440 and it works like a charm with everything I've thrown at it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Agreed posted:

No, the closest we've got at the moment is this poster's continued exploration. I've also added commentary, but it's intermingled with unrelated discussion including some launch day kvetching (I was one of the people affected by both the "installing .net framework 4 over and over" bug, as well as the "can't get preorder bonuses" error, so there is a bit of :qq: over that since I was really looking forward to playing it yesterday after work, d'oh). So here's a more collected version of my thoughts:

Notes regarding WillowEngine.ini located in the My Documents\My Games\Borderland 2\WillowGame\Config directory, based on loving around with stuff:

WillowEngine.ini

By default the game renders via D3D9 using DX9. You can enable D3D11 mode for improved effects quality, tessellation, etc.; this is similar to how Borderlands 1 had a DX10 rendering path that was fully fleshed out but disabled in the engine by default. Borderlands 2's D3D11 mode looks great. I initially thought it caused problems due to tessellation but that's not the case. You can enable both MSAA and Temporal AA. It states "D3D9 MSAA" but from what I can tell it works in D3D11 as well. 4 samples is plenty, combined with FXAA and Temporal AA, given Borderland's unique and not too demanding rendering style. You'll get a good combination of smoothing and sharpness.

Don't mess with shadows, uh, at all. THAT'S what was causing issues for me. There are lots of ways for that to break the game's visuals, as it turns out; treat the stock values as hard-coded for the time being, maybe further experimentation will be fruitful but right now stock shadows should be fine. Also, don't mess with reflections, that'll break texture LOD and look ugly as hell.

Raising PhysX to "3" rather than the maximum Launcher/in-game "High" value of 2 will give you what amounts to a hidden "Very High" setting. I'd write-protect the file after making all these edits, as the Launcher tries to apply its settings every time. I'd like a way to bypass the launcher entirely but no such luck as of yet.

WillowGame.ini

You can up the fading decal count and increase the amount of time it takes for fading decals to go away for more visual flair.

-----

All I've got so far, but it's looking really nice and playing smooth as hell.

This is a good post and I wanna be able to find it later.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I take it since I can't find anything about a S/PDIF header on my GTX 670 on Google and the manual makes no mention of it either, I should bury my dream of getting DTS over HDMI and just move on?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Don Lapre posted:

Your video card has a soundcard built in for hdmi audio. DTS passthrough is up to your software to support it.

The built-in sound card outputs 5.1 as uncompressed LPCM, which is the HDMI standard and actually superior to the compressed DTS format I'm after. Unfortunately for me, DTS is the best I can do at the speaker side with my current setup, that's why I'm trying to get DTS specifically through the GPUs HDMI.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Don Lapre posted:

I had no problem doing DTS through Nvidia Hdmi on xbmc, on a 670 even. Your software just has to pass it through.

You're right, the problem has to do with how the DTS audio is "created". In your case, I'm guessing you were watching a video with an already encoded DTS audio track, this audio track got passed through the HDMI into your receiver or whatever. I want to play games with 5.1 audio though, and the way games output 5.1 audio on PC is via LPCM which is something my speakers unfortunately can't handle. A way around that is to encode the 5.1 LPCM from the games as 5.1 DTS on the fly, which a sound card can do but my graphics card cannot, which is why I was wondering if I could encode the 5.1 DTS using my sound card and then send that via spdif header into my graphics card to pass through to my speakers.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Crosspost from the short questions thread:

quote:

How come when I play Assassin's Creed 4 I get a lot of tearing at 45 fps, but when I play Need for Speed Rivals I get no tearing at all at same fps? Why does it seem like some games suffer more from tearing than others?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I can't imagine that the mid-range cards this fall will be sporting 2GB vram still, I think the switch to 4 is imminent.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The 670 was 90% the performance of a 680 while being a hundred bucks cheaper iirc, so that's a pretty good reason.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Titles that were developed on PC first or exclusively (SC2, WoW) are better bets when it comes to scaling down to a dual core CPU, for console ports you might be better off going with more cores as both consoles use 8 core CPUs.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It seems I sometimes get tearing even with vsync enabled when I'm outputting to my monitor (DVI) and my TV (HDMI) at the same time, when I turn of my monitor the tearing on the TV goes away. Could there be something wrong on the software side or is this just a general vsync limitation?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Cloning. I haven't tried lowering settings in graphics intensive games but I have experienced the issue with games that are not very demanding to begin with. The Wolf Among Us was tearing constantly at 59.9 fps when I had it cloned from Desktop (60hz) to TV (60hz), after switching off my monitor the tearing was gone, which is the main reason I'm wondering if it was some kind of inherent vsync limitation.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Apparently the first details for new AMD GPUs is right around the corner:

http://videocardz.com/51251/amd-radeon-r9-285-arrives-september-2nd-preliminary-information-2-days

I'm pretty interested, I feel like my GTX 670 doesn't quite cut it anymore.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
AMD livestream happening right now, the R9 285 seems to be the main thing they're announcing here.

http://www.twitch.tv/amd

R9 285 is 15% faster than the gtx 760, launches sept. 2nd for 249 usd

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 23, 2014

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Radio Talmudist posted:

What are the chances that it will remain this price? Every time I want to buy an affordable amd card bit coin miners drive up the price

Isn't that craze over because the remaining coins are so hard to mine that you need giant farms to do it? I remember a lot of 290 cards hitting ebay/sa mart not long back.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The R9 285 NDA has lifted and it seems the card is about as fast as the 280 was, while drawing less power and having a few more features:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-285-tonga,3925-14.html

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Lowen SoDium posted:

Regarding AMD and an equivalent to ShadowPlay:

The Steam beta client just updated with this in the change log:

Looks like AMD had some hardware encoding capabilities.

Do they mean the 295x2 here or is this an accidental reference to an upcoming 290x successor?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Guni posted:

Is the 970/980 going to be a significant improvement over say a 290 at 1440p? Debating whether to pick a 290 up now or wait till they're out.

Do we know prices?

Rumors point towards "No", still, no harm in waiting two more weeks till we know for sure.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Twerk from Home posted:

What game are you experiencing issues in? A 7950 should be very comfortable at 1080p. You may have a bottleneck elsewhere.

I would like to play games at 1080p, 60fps and ultra settings (incl. high AA+AF), with a lot of recent games my GTX 670 wasn't enough for that. I think even at 1080p high end cards aren't entirely unreasonable.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

This chart means I'd be ok using a 450w PSU with a GTX 980, right?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Amazon has apparently mispriced a MSI GTX 980 at 300 pounds:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NOP53AA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's already out of stock but you can still try your luck and order one I guess. :shrug:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

HalloKitty posted:

What do you have to lose, really? If I had money to burn right now, I'd be clicking that button.

I'm not sure if the warranty is manufacturer based or vendor based, if it's the latter it might be a bit tricky to RMA it if you bought outside of the UK (like I did).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Rumor popped up on a chinese site, 40% faster than a 980 supposedly:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does anyone have experience with the asrock m8? I took a quick look at it and it looks pretty tacky but is it any good?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LiquidRain posted:

Buying a 970 today: good idea, bad idea? Money for anything more powerful is out of the question.

Depends on if you're willing to wait another month or so. AMD is gonna introduce a new lineup at E3, presumably rehashes of their old stuff but if they're competitively priced it could lead to Nvidia dropping their prices.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
A constant 30 is still preferable to a 60 with frequent dips, too bad there aren't any gsync TVs.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rastor posted:

Discussion from pages ago, but Computex has brought a few new cases along these lines:

Fractal Design Node 202

Uhhhhh, I'm liking this.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please stop trying to crush my mITX dreams.

Silverstone had introduced a 700w sfx psu, you're gonna be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Truga posted:

Same post is also saying UE4 doesn't support async shaders, and ue4 is going to be *the* engine for a couple years now it seems so...

This is kind of a minor point but I don't think UE4 is or will be the default engine in the way that UE3 was. EA, Ubisoft, Square Enix and Activision all have their own in house engines and a lot of the 3D indie stuff is on Unity. The only recent major Unreal Engine games that come to mind are Arkham Knight and MK X from WB Games and both of those are UE3. I don't think any triple A games this fall or early next year are gonna use it either.